Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM "NO CRY BABIES"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

My family where stationed at 800 meters to go and one of my nephews kept shouting "only 800 miles to go". It felt like it.

Brilliant support right the way around, I'll never forget it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

shels4ever wrote: »
    i was standing at the 26 mile mark and there was a guy saying "only half a mile to go " a little mistake but at that point not what people want to hear... All i was say was "you can see the finish line now"
    Ha, I heard you.

The guy further back going 'only 3 minutes running left' I coulda killed, cos four minutes later I still couldnt see the finish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

weebelly wrote: »
    ...Around that same distance there was a good looking girl with a sign that said - You're not hurtin', just kickin' ass. She was watching people and, when they caught her eye, she gave them a brilliant smile and nod as she saw them reading it. A fantastic distraction at that stage...

Ah yeah, I caught one of those smiles too. A lovely distraction and great motivation exactly when it was needed. Kept a smile on my face for the next mile or two

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Oryx wrote: »
    Ha, I heard you.

The guy further back going 'only 3 minutes running left' I coulda killed, cos four minutes later I still couldnt see the finish. :)

He had upped it to 4 minutes to go by the time I passed him, didn't have the energy to tell him that it'd take me more than 4 minutes to reach the front of Trinity, not to mind the finish... Right spirit though :)

My favourite of the day was mentioned here already, 'Your feet hurt because you're kicking ass'. Saw her in at least two spots, great poster :D

Also saw the hairy legs one, but knew it couldn't be referring to me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Didymus

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    My favourite poster was

'You feet are only killing you because you're kicking ass.'

I ran past that thinking 'actually, yeah, I am kicking ass.'

This girl was a god send. This made me laugh and was a great distraction gave me motivation for a few miles and she appeared again later on.

There was also a guy wearing a T-shirt which on the back read
    "Pain is temporary, failure is forever". This coupled with the above made me run through the pain

It was my first marathon and the goodness of people was overwhelming. From the lady who cut up loads of oranges into segments, the girl who handed out jaffa cakes on a plate, the guys handing out lollipops in top of Fosters Avenue, the amount of people handing out jellies and sweets, the guy who set up music outside his house. People who spoke words of encouragement directly to you while you ran past them. People who stood outside for hours and hours, clapping! It's incredible.

Nothing in my life has ever compared to the feeling. Absolutely amazing. People are great.

I must say, the hardest part was just before Nassau St, someone said "Only 400 metres to go" I was absolutely done for at this stage but was thinking "yes, that's doable" ran for a few minutes and then someone shouted "well done, only 500 metres to go"!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement