Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM "NO CRY BABIES"

Options
  • 27-10-2009 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Around mile 24/25 yesterday while running towards the finish, there was a woman standing on the right hand side of the road with a board held erect over here head facing us finsihing.
    The boards simply "NO CRY BABIES" or "NO CRY BABIES PLEASE".
    She stood there gazed affixed at each one of us as we passed, not a flinch to her expression. Her expression was not accusing, not judgemental, not quiet stern, it was however very serious indeed.

I do not know who she was, I'm still not sure that it was not an appreation that didn't actually happen, as the mond tends to wonder greatly at this time in a Marathon.

However, I can tell you all that this lady had to have been a Marathon Runner or associated with running in some shape or form to realise that this simple plackard held aloft standing on her own on the side of the street had a huge impact on me.

The crowds were wonderful and really pushed us all on. Dublin can be proud of the support it gave the marathon yesterday, just brilliant.

This woman was different. She stood away from the maddening screaming of support from well wishers and remined us all that it was tough at this stage of a Marathon and what's more it should be tough.
    With those few simple words held on a solitary plackard the impact was thundering on me (I'm nearly crying now just remebering). It got me through that last 2 miles like nothing else could have and to her I am eternally grateful.

I will never ever forget this simple gesture of mind bending importance to all of us yesterday.

Thank you LADY.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Yeah, I noticed her too. She was at that awful bridge over the Grand Canal. Thats the last hill. Its a killer.
    After I finished I went back to it to help the 4:15 to 4:30 guys over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

I thought it said no jelly babies.

But on reflection that was just what I was thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Saw her too, she spoke to some people as I passed and spoke in an American accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

I saw her too, but to be honest I didn't appreciate it at all! I was in so much pain I thought I should be allowed to cry at that stage without ridicule or judgement if I wanted to, and resented someone suggesting I shouldn't. As it happened I never did cry, but God I felt like it more than once over the last 6 miles or so :o
    But if it helped some to suck it up and keep going, then fair play to her. Everyone to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

she was at rathgar aswell,,i asked had she any tissues...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 garret doherty

yes i saw her good sign, good woman.
    i kust looked at it read it and laughed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Bobby04 wrote: »
    I saw her too, but to be honest I didn't appreciate it at all! I was in so much pain I thought I should be allowed to cry at that stage without ridicule or judgement if I wanted to, and resented someone suggesting I shouldn't. As it happened I never did cry, but God I felt like it more than once over the last 6 miles or so :o
    But if it helped some to suck it up and keep going, then fair play to her. Everyone to their own.

Yeah I'm with you there Bobby. I wasn't gonna cry but if I wanted to I would. I could have but its not a cardboard sign that makes you suck it up its your mental strength. She meant well and thats the main thing. Glad it gave some a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Saw her in Rathgar too. All around us had a good laugh. I thought it was brilliant! Somtimes it's the characters in the crowd that make the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

grabbed a jellysnake from a girl supporter at 25,would have proposed if i saw her later at the finish line (and made RTE) but doubt she would have said yes to someone in my state.it saved me though as the tank was empty,17 wine gums in back pocket were not quite enough to see me home--19 next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

saw her twice on the way around. i guess it beats a dancing priest ready to rugby tackle you to the ground at mile 26.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Saw her twice aswell. I was amused the first time and was long past crying the second. One woman also shouted at me "your not even trying".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Saw her at Ballsbridge (by the motors place). She certainly made me chuckle. The guy in front of me, Steve I think his shirt said, yelled, "Yeah, no cry babies". I enjoyed it alot kept me going until that bloody bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

nomadic wrote: »
    One woman also shouted at me "your not even trying".

Now I might just have thumped her!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Bobby04 wrote: »
    Now I might just have thumped her!! :)
    I just smiled. She was right . I had pretty much given up.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭weebelly

I saw her alright - but my memory is too fried to remember what it said - I thought it said No Cry Babies Here (which kind of makes more sense).
    Around that same distance there was a good looking girl with a sign that said - You're not hurtin', just kickin' ass. She was watching people and, when they caught her eye, she gave them a brilliant smile and nod as she saw them reading it. A fantastic distraction at that stage.
    In fairness, though, around that 18-20 mile section I was running close to two lads who were running for a paralysis charity and pushed their mate around in a wheelchair for the whole distance (in the group running around 4.30). I always knew how close they were by the constant roar from people watching.
    If seeing something like those lads couldn't motivate you over the last miles, I don't know how much help a No Cry Babies sign would be!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

yep saw that lady twice duing the race and noticed the staring each person in the face thing she was doing as well.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I saw her near the finish alright, but I had seen a team of ladies at the start with that on the back of their teeshirts. So Id bet she was part of their support crew.

All I thought as I ran the last few miles, listening to the crowd saying 'gwan ya can do it!'.. was wtf do you know.. you cant feel my legs.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

i spotted her aswell around grand canal bridge vicinity
    had a little chuckle to myself when I saw it

I think after that i was on auto-pilot powered by the crowds cheers.

to be honest I'd love to run the last 2 miles again just to take it all in again.
    The only problem with the last 2 miles is your too fecked to really remember it all properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

I saw her too, a bit spooky. Felt the tears well before I saw her with her signage great day once again, but she had a presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I seen her at Beggars Bush myself and have to admit to having shed quite a few tears by then. The emotion of the what I was achieving got the better of me so many times, especially seeing my wife & kids at the end. It was my first marathon and even though I'm sore today I'm already thinking about next year.
    Neil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

weebelly wrote: »
    I saw her alright - but my memory is too fried to remember what it said - I thought it said No Cry Babies Here (which kind of makes more sense).
    Around that same distance there was a good looking girl with a sign that said - You're not hurtin', just kickin' ass. She was watching people and, when they caught her eye, she gave them a brilliant smile and nod as she saw them reading it. A fantastic distraction at that stage.

Saw her too. (I thought it was a special smile for me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭weebelly

Davestator - could well have been aimed at you and I just got in the way!!! At least I know I didn't hallucinate it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Declanr

Well folks at least I now know that it wasn't my mind playing tricks on me at the end.
    From the various replies posted to this item it is obvious that if you were on your own running (as I was at that stage) it had a dramatic impact on you, if you were still with buddies you had a good laugh at it.

I still think it was profound and apt and so well placed at Grand Canal, that's it worth acknowledging.

Weel done all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

My favourite poster was

'You feet are only killing you because you're kicking ass.'

I ran past that thinking 'actually, yeah, I am kicking ass.'

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    My favourite poster was

'You feet are only killing you because you're kicking ass.'

I ran past that thinking 'actually, yeah, I am kicking ass.'
    I saw that one too. It made me smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

That was around 26 miles I loved it!!
    The no cry babies one I didn't appreciate, I cried a couple of times but not from the pain more the emotion of running my first marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What about the geezer at UCD Belfield, shouting "cmon lads, only 7 miles to go", when we only had 4 miles to go?! I'd say he broke a few hearts, before somebody shut him up properly. I really wish that people would get their distances right in these situations. It an really demoralize a person, or give them false hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dublinmusician

hey all. last monday was my first marathon - finished eventually in 4:24.

I was really hurting around fortfield road (i think with the thought if what was to come!) but there was a girl out with a big sign saying 'love the hairy legs.' It really made me smile, especially when i roared 'the cheek of you suggesting that my legs are hairy!' and I got a great roar of support back. Anyone else see here?

I had no idea how much the support around the course kept you going or how emotional the experience would be. I cried like a baby when I crossed the line!! It was so worth the pain, and I can't wait to get stuck into my next one. Paris April 11th here I come! J.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Yeah i saw her with that sign at rathgar and beside the grand canal bridge, couldn't believe what i was seeing to be honest. I'm sure Radcliffe would have loved to see that sign during the Athens Olympic marathon in 2004.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

What about the geezer at UCD Belfield, shouting "cmon lads, only 7 miles to go", when we only had 4 miles to go?! I'd say he broke a few hearts, before somebody shut him up properly. I really wish that people would get their distances right in these situations. It an really demoralize a person, or give them false hope.
    i was standing at the 26 mile mark and there was a guy saying "only half a mile to go " a little mistake but at that point not what people want to hear... All i was say was "you can see the finish line now"

Advertisement