Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Origins Question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Review of the PS3 version from IGN australia.
    http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/104/1040931p1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Where did you order from??? I am looking for the CE too??
    I got it from Game.co.uk. It works out at about €45 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

abelard wrote: »
    How do you mean?

Well for one,they have different camera angles. On the pc it's kind of a slanted look down view,while the xbox version has a normal third person view like mass effect. I also believe on the pc there's more emphases on controlling your whole team while on xbox you could just put the other guys on auto attack and concentrate only on yourself(again like mass effect).

So while they're pretty much the same game, the xbox version is slighty more action-rpg and the pc is more oldschooly. Supposadly neither version was ported from one platform to the other either,they were made seperatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

I've ordered the standard edition from Amazon for just under €30, will have to wait until next week to play though. Thanks for the heads up on the items in Dragon Age Journeys, think I'll give it a go while I'm waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Damn, I can't wait for this one. Will be picking myself up a copy for PC. The only thing putting me off is that if I get it I'm gonna end up neglecting my Leaving Cert even more so than I already am.

I'm also curious to know if you can play the PC version similarly to the console version (more like a action RPG). Not that I would or anything as Bioware clearly intended it to be played old school but it would be interesting to see if you have to option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

On a slightly related note, dunno whether to go DA:O or Mass Effect 2? The click ye here:

http://ie.games.ign.com/articles/103/1039025p1.html

I'm a dragon age man apparently :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Dramatic Exit

Leprachaun wrote: »
    Well for one,they have different camera angles. On the pc it's kind of a slanted look down view,while the xbox version has a normal third person view like mass effect. I also believe on the pc there's more emphases on controlling your whole team while on xbox you could just put the other guys on auto attack and concentrate only on yourself(again like mass effect).

So while they're pretty much the same game, the xbox version is slighty more action-rpg and the pc is more oldschooly. Supposadly neither version was ported from one platform to the other either,they were made seperatly.
    I hear the console version doesn't do mass battles in the same way as the PC? Instead for large group of enemies, instead of all at once, they come at you in waves on the console.
    I'm also curious to know if you can play the PC version similarly to the console version (more like a action RPG). Not that I would or anything as Bioware clearly intended it to be played old school but it would be interesting to see if you have to option.
    The AI is meant to be very customisable; for example you can setup your healer to fire off their heal when party members reach a set % health. So I'd think it's certainly possible to play through with minimal pausing. Saying that, they have advertised it as tactical combat, with a bit of a thinking man's game. The Game Diaries here, when he gets to the er, Ogre pwning, talks about that.

My mate has got a copy of the PC version and I got to play a little last night. I only got to play for about an hour or so but it's already pretty much guaranteed Game of the Year for me, and possible game of the decade by the looks of what's to come.

Combat seems to be the only problem with it. It might change later in the game, but from what I played, it ranges from piss easy to ridiculously hard depending on who you're up against. I came up against a guy in the tutorial that killed me 5 times before I was able to kill him, and even then it was only due to luck.

And the game tells you that you should use strategies when in combat, such as having archers move to higher ground in order to fire down on the enemy while the warriors in your group fight hand to hand. But the battles happen so fast that you don't have time to position anyone. You're just better off selecting all your guys and clicking on one enemy at a time. I'm half tempted to play the game on easy when it comes, just so I can quickly get over the combat and move onto enjoying the story.

But other than that, I really enjoyed it. There's six different game openings and I'm not sure if being good or evil changes the story, but I get the impression it does. Add to this the variety of skills of improve (I can see myself spending ages trying to figure out what type of character I should be), then you've got a lot of replayability.

Pity there's no co-op, but sure maybe someone will come up with a mod sometime in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

Gamespot have posted their review:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dragonage/review.html?tag=topslot;title;1

Friday can't come quick enough...

And they compare (quickly) the three versions close to the end, so that may help anyone who hasn't decided which platform to get the game on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Leprachaun wrote: »

Aw hell no. :mad: I really want this to be as close an experience to Baldur's Gate II as possible. But figuring the versions were the same I was just gonna pick it up for the 360. Don't know if my laptop will run it acceptably (it's only a little above the minimum spec), so if they've messed up the 360 version by making it more an action RPG it might be a long time before I pick up this :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

For the Warhammer Online players still around it seems they're giving away in-game items for WAR as well.

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315961

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

humanji wrote: »
    My mate has got a copy of the PC version and I got to play a little last night. I only got to play for about an hour or so but it's already pretty much guaranteed Game of the Year for me, and possible game of the decade by the looks of what's to come.

Combat seems to be the only problem with it. It might change later in the game, but from what I played, it ranges from piss easy to ridiculously hard depending on who you're up against. I came up against a guy in the tutorial that killed me 5 times before I was able to kill him, and even then it was only due to luck.

And the game tells you that you should use strategies when in combat, such as having archers move to higher ground in order to fire down on the enemy while the warriors in your group fight hand to hand. But the battles happen so fast that you don't have time to position anyone. You're just better off selecting all your guys and clicking on one enemy at a time. I'm half tempted to play the game on easy when it comes, just so I can quickly get over the combat and move onto enjoying the story.

But other than that, I really enjoyed it. There's six different game openings and I'm not sure if being good or evil changes the story, but I get the impression it does. Add to this the variety of skills of improve (I can see myself spending ages trying to figure out what type of character I should be), then you've got a lot of replayability.

Pity there's no co-op, but sure maybe someone will come up with a mod sometime in the future.

Yepp chosing good or evil will change the way you see and experience the game, even each of the 6 origins you mentioned will, also choices within the game will have impact on later plots on so on. That´s bascially the whole idea of the game.

About combat it was said before that combat would be tricky. You´d be urged to pause the game often and there are lots of different abilities and spells. Even the possibility to stuck spells for greater effect, for example first cast oil to the floor and then set it on fire with a fire or lightning spell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think I'll play it on easy to :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

I think game are the only shop stocking the Collecters edition.

I ordered the PC version from game.co.uk and it worked out at about 45 euro including delivery.

http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games/Dragon-Age-Origins-GAME-Exclusive-Collectors-Edition/~r343169/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Kiith wrote: »
    Gonna get it from either Steam or Direct 2 Drive tonight. I dont mind paying the extra few euro's with Steam, since i can preload it and have it ready to be played straight away on Friday.

Direct2drive, EA and Steam all allow you to preload and unlock at 12:01 on 6th. 20 euros cheaper on direct2drive seems a winner to me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What do you get with the collectors editions?

You get some codes for DLC/ingame items, the soundtrack, making of and other goodies as well...

Hody wrote: »
    Yepp chosing good or evil will change the way you see and experience the game, even each of the 6 origins you mentioned will, also choices within the game will have impact on later plots on so on. That´s bascially the whole idea of the game.

About combat it was said before that combat would be tricky. You´d be urged to pause the game often and there are lots of different abilities and spells. Even the possibility to stuck spells for greater effect, for example first cast oil to the floor and then set it on fire with a fire or lightning spell.

Yeah, it can get fairly confusing trying to get to grips with the special abilities. Some of them seem more useful than others and everything happens so fast, it's hard to tell if anything is working. I guess the main problem is that lots of NPC's attacked at once. When I come up against a single target it'll be easier to get my bearings and figure out what I'm doing.

You get the game (luckily), a bonus DVD with documentaries, art, soundtrack and what is classed as "More Exclusives" (probably just some screen-savers and the like), a cloth map, 3 in-game items (a helmet, a spell book and a staff), Blood Dragon Armour which can also be used in Mass Effect 2 if you buy that, and I think the two add-ons that are available for purchase for people who buy the standard edition.

edit: and I think you get the toolset for modding the game (but only on the PC version)

Wow thats a alot of stuff,Im guessing it'll be about 50,60 euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Just so you know, regardless of which version you get, The Stone Prisoner (one of the add ons) and the Blood Armour are free to download if you buy the game. The only one you have to actually pay for is another Add on called Warden's Keep, which is $7 or thereabouts. That's included in the digital Collector's Edition to compensate for not getting all the physical extras like the cloth map and extra CDs.

AFAIK the only other DLC that can't be accessed by people who buy the regular edition are a few small items like a helmet and a ring. Tbh I'm not going to bother with that as you'll inevitably find better items in-game quickly enough.

Anyway hurry up friday! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Polar101

I guess I'll go with the digital deluxe edition. Or not. Very complicated. :)

The only thing I've decided is that I'll get it on PC rather than PS3.

You get the game (luckily), a bonus DVD with documentaries, art, soundtrack and what is classed as "More Exclusives" (probably just some screen-savers and the like), a cloth map, 3 in-game items (a helmet, a spell book and a staff), Blood Dragon Armour which can also be used in Mass Effect 2 if you buy that, and I think the two add-ons that are available for purchase for people who buy the standard edition.

edit: and I think you get the toolset for modding the game (but only on the PC version)

They sad officially that everybody who will buy the game will get the Blood Dragon Armor which can then be used in Mass Effect 2 as well. Also everybody will get the Stone Prisoner add on - which is a DLC. Furthermore it depends on the version and store where you buy the game what in game items you get.

As there are:

Bergen's Honor
    Collector's Edition

Grimoire of the Frozen Wastes
    Collector's Edition

Final Reason
    Collector's Edition

Memory Band
    at some stores if you pre-order the game

The Lion's Paw boots
    if you pre-ordered at Amazon

Band of Fire
    if you pre-ordered at the EA Store

Guildmaster's Belt
    if you pre-ordered at gamecrazy.com or Gamesload.de

Feral Wolf Charm
    if you pre-ordered at GameStop.com or Play.com

Dalish Promise Ring
    if you pre ordered at Direct2Drive.co.uk

The Wicked Oath
    if you pre-ordered at Steam

The Lucky Stone
    if you uploaded your character with the character editor to the Bioware Social Network

Embri's Many Pockets
    unlockable through the Dragon Age Journeys Flash game

Helm of the Deep / Helm der Tiefe

Amulet of the War Mage

Guess I covered them all :eek::D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

I hate downloading games instead of buying especially when the price is the same for a physical copy. Does anyone have any idea what kind of price this is going to be in a bricks and motor store i.e Game and Gamestop?

Game have always been great for PC games but they're less local than Gamestop for me. That said Gamestop have been getting better lately (stocking hardly any PC games mind you) and seem to be charging around E35. Hopefully they'll do they same for Dragon Age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Is this out yet ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Is this out yet ?

Not till Friday but boxed copies are leaking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

If anyone knows any street dates being broken please inform the rest of us.

(There'll be a little Thanks in it for you if you do :pac:)

Hody wrote: »
    They sad officially that everybody who will buy the game will get the Blood Dragon Armor which can then be used in Mass Effect 2 as well. Also everybody will get the Stone Prisoner add on - which is a DLC. Furthermore it depends on the version and store where you buy the game what in game items you get.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I just read that in order to play the soundtrack that you get with the CE you need a bluray player on your PC. If that's true, then this CE is just f*cking ridiculous.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I just read that in order to play the soundtrack that you get with the CE you need a bluray player on your PC. If that's true, then this CE is just f*cking ridiculous.

Got a source for that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Dramatic Exit

For anyone who preordered on Steam (like me :|) it looks like the unlock time has been pushed back to very late on the 6th; probably the 7th after installation and decryption. There's a fair bit of commotion about it on the Bioware and Steam forums.

Advertisement