Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

pixbyjohn wrote: »

I see they've put that light in a perfect place! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Those timber frame houses could be finished in few weeks. They always fly up because of being mostly pre-fabricated off-site.
    I'd say the recent sight of hordes of Dubliners queuing up to see the Sea Green show houses has got the Sisk developers salivating...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

recedite wrote: »
    I'd say the recent sight of hordes of Dubliners queuing up to see the Sea Green show houses has got the Sisk developers salivating...

Yeah, but can you see Wales from the marina?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

red_bairn wrote: »
    I see they've put that light in a perfect place! :pac:

You'll probably find the head can be realigned..

loyatemu wrote: »
    Yeah, but can you see Wales from the marina?
    Not many Wales, but you might see the odd Dolphin :D

Zoo4m8 wrote:
    You'll probably find the head can be realigned..

Realigning the head doesn't stop the branches from growing all around the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

The general consensus seems to be that the trees won't grow because they are planted on rubble...so not a problem..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Harry Kane

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    The general consensus seems to be that the trees won't grow because they are planted on rubble...so not a problem..:D

These pine trees will indeed struggle in this hostile environment. It is most perplexing why they planted the same pine tree everywhere. A more natural and logical approach would have been to vary the species to see what survives best.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭legrand

And those benches. I understand the intent would be to face the 'plaza' and sea but for most of the day the sun will be to the back of the sitter. Can't imagine them getting much use.

legrand wrote: »
    And those benches. I understand the intent would be to face the 'plaza' and sea but for most of the day the sun will be to the back of the sitter. Can't imagine them getting much use.
    All the seats on the sea front are facing towards the sea, nothing as nice as the sun on your back as you sit and take in the view without having to squint into the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭legrand

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    All the seats on the sea front are facing towards the sea, nothing as nice as the sun on your back as you sit and take in the view without having to squint into the sun.

Tarnation John, you got an answer for me every time :o We'll see how that one goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Some great photos of the development.. Any chance of some shots of the utter destruction f the road from Blacklion to the harbour or any reason why there has been no attempt in the last 3 years to do even the most basic road repairs in the area?

Utterly unacceptable and I would be keen to enquire what penalties the developer has been subject to for the disruption over such a prolonged period and ruination of the access roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Harry Kane wrote: »
    These pine trees will indeed struggle in this hostile environment. It is most perplexing why they planted the same pine tree everywhere. A more natural and logical approach would have been to vary the species to see what survives best.

I'm glad we have changed from complaining about the lack of progress with the harbour to complaining about the progress.

I, for one, will not be happy until the harbour is dismantled and the Victorian harbour is returned to its former derelict state.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I, for one, will not be happy until the harbour is dismantled and the Victorian harbour is returned to its former derelict state.

Return it to it's pre-Victorian state, it's the only way to be sure

380400.png

ckeego wrote:
    Some great photos of the development.. Any chance of some shots of the utter destruction f the road from Blacklion to the harbour or any reason why there has been no attempt in the last 3 years to do even the most basic road repairs in the area?

The road is repaired by the council. If there are potholes or any damage to the road, complain to them. They are required to sort out our roads.
    ckeego wrote:

Why would you want those photos? Why don't you take them yourself and send them into the council offices?

The road will be worked on at a later date when they update Bray to Greystones road towards Windgates, the roundabout at the chemist in Blacklion, the added cycling tracks, path and other amendments down towards the Harbour up until the start of the road works near La Touche hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

loyatemu wrote: »
    Return it to it's pre-Victorian state, it's the only way to be sure

380400.png

Look at all those houses from blowins. And half of them are probably cafes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Harry Kane

I'm glad we have changed from complaining about the lack of progress with the harbour to complaining about the progress.

The multitude of naysayers who were strongly opposed to the new harbour have now been proven to have been totally correct in all their deliberations. However even the most vehement naysayer could not have foreseen in their worst nightmare the absolute ugliness of the concrete monstrosity that is the new harbour. Therefore after much thought I Harry Kane do hereby second the call for the complete demolition of the new harbour and the restoration of the old Victorian Harbour to its former glory as proposed by the artvandelay48 poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

The road is repaired by the council. If there are potholes or any damage to the road, complain to them. They are required to sort out our roads.

Why would you want those photos? Why don't you take them yourself and send them into the council offices?

The road will be worked on at a later date when they update Bray to Greystones road towards Windgates, the roundabout at the chemist in Blacklion, the added cycling tracks, path and other amendments down towards the Harbour up until the start of the road works near La Touche hotel.

You don't do sarcasm, do you?

What is your definition of a later date? Later after a child has been knocked down because a car hits a pothole?

My point is that if a road is going to be destroyed as a developer makes a lot of money, there should be penalties put in place. The development, whether it is welcome or not, has dragged on and on but the basic road facilities that local inhabitants and visitors to our locality use have been destroyed as a result of the development and it is IMHO an accident waiting to happen because it wil be "fixed at a later date".

Typical BS, bureacratic, long fingering as the fat cats get fatter...

/QUOTE]
    Good advice

ckeego wrote: »
    You don't do sarcasm, do you?

What is your definition of a later date? Later after a child has been knocked down because a car hits a pothole?

My point is that if a road is going to be destroyed as a developer makes a lot of money, there should be penalties put in place. The development, whether it is welcome or not, has dragged on and on but the basic road facilities that local inhabitants and visitors to our locality use have been destroyed as a result of the development and it is IMHO an accident waiting to happen because it wil be "fixed at a later date".

Typical BS, bureacratic, long fingering as the fat cats get fatter...

The weather doesn't help either. I noticed a few potholes outside the new house across from the petrol station and i think that is usually where some puddles gather so it might have got worse during the autumn/winter period and with the increase of traffic down/up Rathdown Rd.

Nice shot. If you had just cropped out the bottom part, it could almost be scenic.

The days I useta swim from the Kish to that pier...it felt like a hundred miles away while you were in the water...especially when the boats flying into the mouth of he Harbour (sh*t got serious. Quick).

• Advertisement

Advertisement