Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Immoral Act in the Whole Series? Spoilers Within.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

An Citeog wrote: »
    Tbh, once he became governor he'd find out that that wasn't enough to change much either. It's the system that's flawed, not the man.

Oh definitely, but that's the trouble with politicians, they always think just one more step and they can do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 WHirl7

As mentioned before, for me it would have to be all the people Marlo ordered killed for the most trivial of reasons, especially Bodie just for being seen with McNulty. Bodie was a character I really disliked at first but he grew on me as the seasons went on. Was sad to see him go like that.

And I'm sure this has been mentioned before, I'm new to this forum so apologies in advance if this has already been pointed out. I noticed that there seems to be so many parallels between Carcetti's story and the story of Obama. Getting elected against the odds because of race, promising radical change then not seeming to live up to the hype once in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

amacachi wrote: »
    As I said elsewhere, I don't think that's fair to say. Once he became Mayor he realised he had little or no power to make any meaningful changes and knew he'd have to be governor.

At the end of series 4 does he not have the opportunity to take money from the state of Maryland to sort out the school deficit? And he refuses due to pride and not wanting to make it look like the state is bailing him out (i.e. not wanting to lose face publicly).

All this results in him having to use city funds to sort out the school problem, and therefore major cuts having to be made in the police department (and probably other areas which we don't get to see.) This means the 22 bodies in the vacants are ignored and the Stanfield crew gets away scot-free. All this after getting elected promising to crack down on crime and promising a 'new day' in Baltimore.

The only time he actually helps the police department is when he spots an opportunity to further his career by pursuing the homeless serial killer. He's happy to forget about the 22 bodies in the vacants and the war on drugs in general because this doesn't serve him, his public image or his career. Yet he is happy to provide resources for a less serious but more high-profile problem.

To me this renders his whole moral crusade in series 3 and 4 as completely hollow and hypocritical in my opinion. Ultimately he cares far more about himself than he does about solving the cites problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Morzadec wrote: »
    At the end of series 4 does he not have the opportunity to take money from the state of Maryland to sort out the school deficit? And he refuses due to pride and not wanting to make it look like the state is bailing him out (i.e. not wanting to lose face publicly).

All this results in him having to use city funds to sort out the school problem, and therefore major cuts having to be made in the police department (and probably other areas which we don't get to see.) This means the 22 bodies in the vacants are ignored and the Stanfield crew gets away scot-free. All this after getting elected promising to crack down on crime and promising a 'new day' in Baltimore.

The only time he actually helps the police department is when he spots an opportunity to further his career by pursuing the homeless serial killer. He's happy to forget about the 22 bodies in the vacants and the war on drugs in general because this doesn't serve him, his public image or his career. Yet he is happy to provide resources for a less serious but more high-profile problem.

To me this renders his whole moral crusade in series 3 and 4 as completely hollow and hypocritical in my opinion. Ultimately he cares far more about himself than he does about solving the cites problems.

Yes, because he believes he can do far more than that by becoming governor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

amacachi wrote: »
    Yes, because he believes he can do far more than that by becoming governor.

I guess we'll never know if he can or not!

I still think that he had a moral responsibility as mayor of Baltimore (especially after his campaign) that he neglected, and ultimately was no better than those that he criticised before him.

It's true though that it was an almost impossible job to balance between doing the right thing and maintaining popularity. Quite realistic that maintaining popularity was the option chosen I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement