Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Immoral Act in the Whole Series? Spoilers Within.

Options
  • 22-10-2009 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

Hi folks!

What do you crazy kids think was the single most evil/heartless/cruel/whatever thing done by any character in the whole show? I have my opinion on this, which I'd like to hold off on for a few while, to see if anyone else posts it first.

Thank you!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

A lot of the stuff done by marlo,chris and snoop. The first that comes to mind is chris shooting that delivery woman to set up Omar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Good idea for a thread.

Prob for me it would be that cunch Marlo killing Prop joe after joe had looked after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

At least there was a genuine reason for killing the delivery woman ie. to frame Omar. It was when he had that security guard killed for "disrespecting" him even though he clearly wasn't that I found the most heartless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Off the top of my head i would say the turkish guy killing all those girls in the cargo container.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Marlo had no morals
    lil kevin; bodie; junebug all killed because they might have done something

The fact that
    one crooked politician trumps 22 dead bodies

The whole
    I scratch your back you scratch mine involving carcetti. burrell getting a well paid job, rawls becoming a state police chief just so they keep any dirt to themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

David Simon inflicting a mediocre season five on us after 4 excellent seasons :pac:.

Seriously though - good idea for a thread.
    • Stringer getting Bodie and Poot to kill Wallace.
    • Marlo and the security guard as has been mentioned.
    • McNulty cheating on Beadie with the bar-room 'ho.
    • Stringer lying to D'Angelo's mother about his "suicide".
    • Levy calmly advising Stringer and Avon to eliminate any loose ends.

It's weird how things that happen on the Wire get passed off as jus' bizness. Just because it's all in the game seems to make it appear more reasonable and less callous for some.

/reminds myself it's just a tv show.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Cant think of his name right now but when the blind guy it was harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

kearnsr wrote: »
    Cant think of his name right now but when the blind guy it was harsh

Butchie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

An Citeog wrote: »
    At least there was a genuine reason for killing the delivery woman ie. to frame Omar. It was when he had that security guard killed for "disrespecting" him even though he clearly wasn't that I found the most heartless.
    That's exactly what I was going for. Your opinion is correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Shutting down the vacant houses murder cases. Not only did it show that dead black people didn't matter, but it gave the impression that it was acceptable for blacks to kill each other and continue on to do so.

All the other murders (Wallace, Bodie, Security man etc) are all just part of the smaller picture.

The msot immoral behaviour was by far carried out by the people who ran the city at the very top and who were meant to serve the people of the city, from the Governor to the Mayor to the Police Commissioner..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

K4t wrote: »
    Shutting down the vacant houses murder cases. Not only did it show that dead black people didn't matter, but it gave the impression that it was acceptable for blacks to kill each other and continue on to do so.

All the other murders (Wallace, Bodie, Security man etc) are all just part of the smaller picture.

The msot immoral behaviour was by far carried out by the people who ran the city at the very top and who were meant to serve the people of the city, from the Governor to the Mayor to the Police Commissioner..

I thought they were meant to be dead junkies they didn't care about rather than dead black people?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TragicJohnson

For me it would have to be Carcetti's unwillingness to take funds from the Governor, which was purely for personal gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

DeepBlue wrote: »
    It's weird how things that happen on the Wire get passed off as jus' bizness. Just because it's all in the game seems to make it appear more reasonable and less callous for some.

/reminds myself it's just a tv show.

indeed, I used to temp for a large property developer, they sent people all over the world to examine sites and buildings, meet customers etc.

I once overheard one executive preparing for a trip to africa, asking for expenses to bribe the local police, he explained that it was standard practise in their culture and that it was just how business is done there.

I always think of that self rationanistaion when I see politicains here being bribed here for property developments, and stuff like the corrib gas giveaway. it must be seen as the standare practise in out culture too.

The people giving away the bribes, favors and hiring the thugs, are just handeling business, it's their job to achieve the final goal and this is just another step to achieving that goal. - sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

One moment for me was McNulty pretending that homeless guy was another victim of the homeless killings. I backed him in most other things he did that may have been outside the law but that was pretty rough i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

For me it would have to be Carcetti's unwillingness to take funds from the Governor, which was purely for personal gain.
    This. More than personal gain, it was ego. After that, I couldn't feel so much as a twinge of empathy with the character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

mikhail wrote: »
    This. More than personal gain, it was ego. After that, I couldn't feel so much as a twinge of empathy with the character.

It was and it wasn't. Obviously it was selfish in a way but he believes that taking that money will ruin his ambitions and if he can't get to the top then he can't make the real changes he wants. Of course the way things work out even when he gets higher he'll realise there's nothing he can do there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

amacachi wrote: »
    It was and it wasn't. Obviously it was selfish in a way but he believes that taking that money will ruin his ambitions and if he can't get to the top then he can't make the real changes he wants. Of course the way things work out even when he gets higher he'll realise there's nothing he can do there either.
    The way I read it, he goes in prepared to make those concessions, but he storms out, angered at the personal humiliation involved.

Of course, your interpretation also may be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

MrKingsley wrote: »
    One moment for me was McNulty pretending that homeless guy was another victim of the homeless killings. I backed him in most other things he did that may have been outside the law but that was pretty rough i think

Yeah I just watched that episode tonight on my second go 'round and I genuinely felt sad at the thought of it. I think that's where Jimmy just went too far. When that guy is basically crying in the passenger seat, I just thought "Nah, that's not right".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,666 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Pretty much anything that that snake of a lawyer Levy does.
    Was disappointed when Herc went to work for him but I guess he kinda redeemed himself in end.

Also, the legendary Clay "Shhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttt" Davis deserves a mention. Can't think of one remotely moral or honest thing he did througout the series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

No mention of Valchek
    destroying Frank Sobotka (and thereby the union AND the Docks)
    in Season 2? He was one of the characters i loved to hate...him and Burrell...ignorant fockers greaseballing their way up the ladder...ive seen it all too often in real life.

Seriously though, theres no way to mention all of the hundreds of callous acts in even one given series,season 2 alone has so many...when the FBI come in on the investigation of the Eastern european girls, only to tell Daniels
    the IBS union is the priority in their eyes
    , then the rat agent who gets the greeks
    off the hook and Sobotka killed
    ...so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,454 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No mention of Valchek
    destroying Frank Sobotka (and thereby the union AND the Docks)
    in Season 2? He was one of the characters i loved to hate...him and Burrell...ignorant fockers greaseballing their way up the ladder...ive seen it all too often in real life.

Seriously though, theres no way to mention all of the hundreds of callous acts in even one given series,season 2 alone has so many...when the FBI come in on the investigation of the Eastern european girls, only to tell Daniels
    the IBS union is the priority in their eyes
    , then the rat agent who gets the greeks
    off the hook and Sobotka killed
    ...so much.

The thing with Valchek is.... even though what he did was immoral, he didn't do it with the intention of destroying the union and the docks. He just had a personal vendetta against Sobotka. He couldn't have known the extent of Sobotka's dealing with The Greek which ultimately caused the closing of the docks, so that was an unintentional act rather than an immoral act.

Although like I said, his vendetta and reasons for wanting Sobotka investigated were definitely immoral

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

The thing with Valchek is.... even though what he did was immoral, he didn't do it with the intention of destroying the union and the docks. He just had a personal vendetta against Sobotka. He couldn't have known the extent of Sobotka's dealing with The Greek which ultimately caused the closing of the docks, so that was an unintentional act rather than an immoral act.

Although like I said, his vendetta and reasons for wanting Sobotka investigated were definitely immoral

Ah will u stop, he may not have known the extent of what Sobotka was doing at the start..that makes it worse. As far as he knew Sobotka wasn’t doing anything…he wanted to destroy him or at least smear him over a Stained glass window!!

AND..when he DID know what had been going on, AND that the Feds were
    destroying the IBS, he arranged to be there to rub Sobotkas nose in it, even holding Sobotkas face up for the cameras (which he had arranged!)
    outside the union hall….come on

I admit,I hated Valchek...realistic character though to be fair...and where he ends up getting in the end...! I must admit a wry smile crossed my face!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭golfball37

Greggs ratting out McNulty & Lester was teh low point of the 5 series and devalued a lot that went before it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,454 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ah will u stop, he may not have known the extent of what Sobotka was doing at the start..that makes it worse. As far as he knew Sobotka wasn’t doing anything…he wanted to destroy him or at least smear him over a Stained glass window!!

AND..when he DID know what had been going on, AND that the Feds were
    destroying the IBS, he arranged to be there to rub Sobotkas nose in it, even holding Sobotkas face up for the cameras (which he had arranged!)
    outside the union hall….come on

I admit,I hated Valchek...realistic character though to be fair...and where he ends up getting in the end...! I must admit a wry smile crossed my face!

I agree, but what I'm saying is in your other post you blamed him for the closing of the union and docks too. That wasn't Valchek's intention, it was just a knock-on effect of his fued with Sobotka. I agree that his fued was silly, spiteful and immoral. But the closing of the union and docks was a result of Sobotka's smuggling and dealings with the Greeks. Valchek couldn't have known about that.

It was the Feds who wanted the union properly investigated, and the developers who wanted the land that the docks were on. These came as a result of the investigation, but wasn't Valcheks intention, so its not immoral.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

golfball37 wrote: »
    Greggs ratting out McNulty & Lester was teh low point of the 5 series
    I don't see how you could say that was worse than Marlo having the security guard killed or even Marlo having Little Kevin killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Ardent

Stringer ordering the hit on Omar who was at Sunday church with his (grand?)mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Ardent wrote: »
    Stringer ordering the hit on Omar who was at Sunday church with his (grand?)mother.
    Remember, String did not know about Omar's grandmother being there. The gunmen just said they had a shot at Omar, and he said to take it. Not as bad as many of the other things mentioned in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I agree that pretty much all of Carcetti's acts after he comes mayor are at the top of the list. Mainly because he originally came across as genuinely wanting to change things and he turned out to be purely concerned about his own image and his own career. He was just as bad as Royce, and considering he promised so much and put himself on a moral pedestal on the crime issue, his immorality became magnified.

Really really dislikable character.

I disagree with people saying McNulty's acts in Series 5 were the most immoral, as he was putting his balls on the line for what he felt was right. At the end of the day, his deception got results.

Most moral act of the series was Bunny's Hamsterdam idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Morzadec wrote: »
    I agree that pretty much all of Carcetti's acts after he comes mayor are at the top of the list. Mainly because he originally came across as genuinely wanting to change things and he turned out to be purely concerned about his own image and his own career. He was just as bad as Royce, and considering he promised so much and put himself on a moral pedestal on the crime issue, his immorality became magnified.

Really really dislikable character.

As I said elsewhere, I don't think that's fair to say. Once he became Mayor he realised he had little or no power to make any meaningful changes and knew he'd have to be governor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

amacachi wrote: »
    As I said elsewhere, I don't think that's fair to say. Once he became Mayor he realised he had little or no power to make any meaningful changes and knew he'd have to be governor.

Tbh, once he became governor he'd find out that that wasn't enough to change much either. It's the system that's flawed, not the man.

Advertisement