Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luttrellstown

Options
  • 22-10-2009 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Does anyone know what sort of nick the couse is in at the moment?

I've never played it and would like to do so before it closes, but I'm a bit wary that there's lilltle incentive for them to be maintaining it to any sort of standard at the moment, don't want to spend the time and money to go play there if it's in bad condition.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

yeah i think they stopped cutting the grass around july - you might be best to keep away, well away (unless of course you have a mower of some sorts)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

A few people on this thread praised it recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

played it on sunday the place is in fantastic condition , still cant believe its going:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Snakey

Cheers lads, especially Burgerman55 (are there really 54 other Burgermen rated higher than you?) will pay it a visit so

course is in top shape
    head out there a few times before Jan '10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

played it today and was in immaculate condition, probably one of the best courses in greater dublin area. pity it's going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭jimjo

who_ru wrote: »
    played it today and was in immaculate condition, probably one of the best courses in greater dublin area. pity it's going.

I would say its the best parkland in Dublin, hands down. Still find it hard to believe its closing....

Anyone got any more news on Luttrellstown?? Two months and it’ll be gone apparently, when I played there I felt like the course was one hundred miles away from Dublin, when its just a couple of miles from Castleknock...

On howdidido the members competitions look pitiful in numbers

most of the members left last jan upon receipt of news re the closure
    think the club sorted out a good transfer deal to killeen castle for anyone that was interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Played it for the first time this morning and I cant believe that such a fine course will be gone in another few months. I thought the course was in terrific condition and it really is a top quality parkland layout. The front nine reminded me a lot of Fota Island and the back nine reminded me of the PGA National. Its easily a better course than Fota and not too far off PGA National if not it's equal and all for a 25 euro green fee. Unreal Value. The setting is fantastic aswell and you would be hard pressed to find better. As you go around there and see all manner of birds, geese, hares etc. its hard to believe that Blanchardstown Shopping Centre is just around the corner. Ill be sad to see this course go and will defo fit another round or two in before then. Just wish I had played it sooner. The club house is something else too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Played it for the first time this morning and I cant believe that such a fine course will be gone in another few months. I thought the course was in terrific condition and it really is a top quality parkland layout. The front nine reminded me a lot of Fota Island and the back nine reminded me of the PGA National. Its easily a better course than Fota and not too far off PGA National if not it's equal and all for a 25 euro green fee. Unreal Value. The setting is fantastic aswell and you would be hard pressed to find better. As you go around there and see all manner of birds, geese, hares etc. its hard to believe that Blanchardstown Shopping Centre is just around the corner. Ill be sad to see this course go and will defo fit another round or two in before then. Just wish I had played it sooner. The club house is something else too.

Thanks. Give it a bash sometime next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Its like a Nature reserve Nice Track always scored well on it

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I wouldn't be so sure it will close down. I'd say it's the best parkland course in Dublin, by a long way. Can't think of any better off the top of my head anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭lemon head

How about Castleknock golf club, best drainage system,top greens, great holes and cheap green fees.:):)

lemon head wrote: »
    How about Castleknock golf club, best drainage system,top greens, great holes and cheap green fees.:):)

Possibly, but I don't know the course. I should qualify that Luttrellstown is the best Dublin course that I've played.

lemon head wrote: »

Luttrellstown is head and shoulders above Castleknock. Played both recently and although Castleknock is a lovely course Luttrellstown is a different class.

Luttrellstown is a hell of a lot more difficult. In Castleknock you have a few very short par four’s, a few long ones mind, the most difficult holes I found were the par 3’s, water comes dangerously into play a lot. Luttrellstown is a lot longer course, its manicured to a completely different level to courses I played this summer and I’ve played quite a few. What struck me was the way the bunkers were kept (and there’s lots of them), absolutely class, almost a links style. The greens are extremely difficult and don’t leave yourself any long putts cause nearly every green has numerous different contours meaning three putts are a common occurrence. When you play Castleknock you know you’re not far from the motor way with Liffey valley in the distance on the 3rd and 4th & 5th hole, while in Luttrellstown its like your in the middle of the countryside.

The clubhouse in Castleknock is fantastic but at Luttrellstown its just in a difference class, better than the PGA National. The place is €30 during the week and €35 at weekends (cracking value), I would advise all to play there before it closes at the end of the year. As I said before I hope the place doesn’t close, its too good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭BigAl>>

Wht a d ay and wht a track:D managed to get out and play Luttrellstown today and was amazed to see the great condition the course is in:confused: considering its closing end of next month:mad:.

Sun shine all d ay and a great round of golf. For those who havent played this cousre i would strongly advise you to go and play b4 its too late, you really no idea ust how great a course this is.

BigAl>> wrote: »
    Wht a d ay and wht a track:D managed to get out and play Luttrellstown today and was amazed to see the great condition the course is in:confused: considering its closing end of next month:mad:.

Sun shine all d ay and a great round of golf. For those who havent played this cousre i would strongly advise you to go and play b4 its too late, you really no idea ust how great a course this is.

I bet it won't close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Curly7

Playing there next Thursday, €25 for a round absolute bargain, hopefully we get good weather for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Brockagh wrote: »
    I bet it won't close.

sorry to break it to ya, i have it on good authority its all set for closure at the end of the year:( such a pity as its a beautiful place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Curly7

what are they doing with the course once it closes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Curly7 wrote: »
    what are they doing with the course once it closes?

Nobody knows, at least nobody who works there. I would not be surprised to see it being leased as a going concern.

maybe elm green will take it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Not a chance in hell. Not with the state of their finances.

You must having a laugh?!

Do you know how much it would be to run a club like Luttrellstown? An absolute fortune… there is no way in hell Fingal County Council can afford to run it.

Evening if it was leased out I dont know who could afford it and run it as a successful business, would they even bother with members and just make it a pay and play course?

a decent pay and play course in dublin would be profitable under the right ownership
    the demand is there

if luttrelstown was priced @ 35 euro max throughout the year i doubt they'd have any problems filling the time sheet
    some innovative and imaginative comps there every now and again would also keep it in the spotlight

irish golf clubs in general dont push the marketing / promoting line half hard enough

There were loads of rumours going around about Luttrelstown, and it's members. I'm not going to repeat them here, but looking at the current membership (about 80) it looks like most of the members have found another place to play. I don't see how it would cost any more of a fortune to maintain this place as opposed to any other course on 200 Acres, and I would imagine that 8-10 ground staff plus 4-5 in the club house would be well able to run the place.

I would also agree that a resonably priced pay & play option for this course would be most welcome, and I'd hedge a bet that that's exactly what will happen once the rest of the members are gone. Remember it was the golf club that was losing money, and not the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Yeah, like JP Mcmanus and John Magnier really need the cash. :rolleyes:

d2ww wrote: »
    Yeah, like JP Mcmanus and John Magnier really need the cash. :rolleyes:

No, I don't think they do, sure haven't they become multi-millionaires by throwing it away? Oh, and...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hobart wrote: »
    There were loads of rumours going around about Luttrelstown, and it's members. I'm not going to repeat them here, but looking at the current membership (about 80) it looks like most of the members have found another place to play. I don't see how it would cost any more of a fortune to maintain this place as opposed to any other course on 200 Acres, and I would imagine that 8-10 ground staff plus 4-5 in the club house would be well able to run the place.

I would also agree that a resonably priced pay & play option for this course would be most welcome, and I'd hedge a bet that that's exactly what will happen once the rest of the members are gone. Remember it was the golf club that was losing money, and not the course.

Have to disagree there, Luttrellstown is a championship golf course, the upkeep would cost a significantly greater amount than say your normal parkland course. If I compared it to the PGA National / Palmerstown House, I would say Luttrellstown is manicured to a greater affect IMO, and that’s saying a lot. To keep the course in that great nick its costs a great deal. Maybe if they reduced the daily workload, thus reducing the cost to run the course this could be achieved, but that may mean doing away with some bunkers or other features that take time to maintain.

Would love if it was kept open in either a members club (not likely) or pay and play course, like someone else suggested if the greens fees were kept at €35 I feel the time sheet would be full!

Advertisement