Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

course condition

Options
  • 07-09-2009 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

tell me what you think, i have booked many a game of golf over the years looked foreward to going out ,and when you do play and get to the greens they are forked and sanded. this just ruins it for me ,they never seem to tell you before hand (best i ever get is they are in good condition for this time of year) so why not promote your own club when the greens are in top form let people know, and if you play somewhere the greens are good let people know to, i played lutterlstown today and the greens were top notch (ps i have nothing to do with the place, in fact i hate giving them money cos they would not take bookings just a while ago) also if you play somewhere the greens are bad sanded or forked tell people. this year is the year of the golfer , power to the people:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Daithio9

sweetswing wrote: »
    tell me what you think, i have booked many a game of golf over the years looked foreward to going out ,and when you do play and get to the greens they are forked and sanded. this just ruins it for me ,they never seem to tell you before hand (best i ever get is they are in good condition for this time of year) so why not promote your own club when the greens are in top form let people know, and if you play somewhere the greens are good let people know to, i played lutterlstown today and the greens were top notch (ps i have nothing to do with the place, in fact i hate giving them money cos they would not take bookings just a while ago) also if you play somewhere the greens are bad sanded or forked tell people. this year is the year of the golfer , power to the people:)
    Eh ya wha?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

i see all the temporary winter greens were marked out and some mowed in moate there last week. Am playing there again tomorrow and will see if there is any more done.

As is - the greens / course is in excellent conditon considering all the bad weather we've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

charlieIRL wrote: »
    i see all the temporary winter greens were marked out and some mowed in moate there last week. Am playing there again tomorrow and will see if there is any more done.

As is - the greens / course is in excellent conditon considering all the bad weather we've had.
    thanks charlieIRL thats the sort of thing im looking for . come on lads and ladies tell us where you played and tell us the condition of the courses

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

GrangeGolfClub, Rathfarnham greens are perfect at the moment. Full USGA spec so the manky rain is not an issue on them. Were sanded/pole forked last month so perfect again. I do have a connection with the club.

FWIW I agree with the OP, went down to Druids Glen a few years ago and the greens were lumpy sandpits, very disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jakedabake

sweetswing wrote: »

i was due to play Concar Wood today but i was informed by the club themselves that a lot of the greens had been spiked & sanded & if i still wished to play i could have the game for half price (25 euros). Playing golf on spiked, sanded or temperary greens while being charged full price drives me up the wall & wish to applaud the management of Concar Wood for taking this stance. Lets hope more clubs follow suit!!

• Advertisement

great stuff lads now were rolling . well done concra wood .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scubakid

Played Cahir in Tipperary on saturday with a society and the greens were excellent. I was amazed at the perfect condition of the tee-boxes also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

myself and a few mates got 4 vouchers for mount juliet a fortnight ago.very cheap (value 100 euro each bought for 40 euro each).booked the round but when we arrived the guy in the office informed us that the greens were forked and heavily sanded.he also said that he would only take 3 of the vouchers by way of compensation for the poor state of the greens.worked out i paid 15 euro for the round.:):D:)
    fair play to mout juliet.i don't think that any other high-profile course would have done the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Played Luttrellstown yesterday and it was in great nick, although quite wet. One of the par 3 greens was very wet, you could hear squelching when you walked on it, but otherwise really good, given the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Played Cregmore in Galway last week, Large parts of the fairways/greens were brown, course on the verge of flooding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Played Cregmore in Galway last week, Large parts of the fairways/greens were brown, course on the verge of flooding.

Played with someone yesterday complaining of playing in an inch of water in Cregmore last week.

As for the state of Ballinrobe, great course, lovely fairways, but some of the greens are not fully recovered from spiking and sanding and so are a little bobbly. Some are fine though, and seems like it was done a couple of weeks ago due to the bad weather, so should be good in another week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

Played Carton House this week - Monty course, greens are superb.... 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

mate played connemara links yesterday and said it was like heaven. So i am packin up the sticks and heading west this morning:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

yesterday was class. light winds and class course. fairly long off whites too but still managed 35 points. Greens werent as good as i have seen out there but rest is good. 30 sheets for open day is fair on such a class course and the views WOW:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Played Portumna on saturday, a lot of the greens were spiked and some of the fairways was still a bit squelchy but i presume with the weather lately the fairways across trhe country are dry now.....unless it is Barna

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gareth12121

played the old course in lahinch on thursday for 50 euros was unreal, greens were supurb and were in perfect condition. really enjoyed it and would reccommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

GreeBo wrote: »
    GrangeGolfClub, Rathfarnham greens are perfect at the moment. Full USGA spec so the manky rain is not an issue on them. Were sanded/pole forked last month so perfect again. I do have a connection with the club.

FWIW I agree with the OP, went down to Druids Glen a few years ago and the greens were lumpy sandpits, very disappointed.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I was thinking of playing the grange one day this wk because its quite close to my house. Just a question r 2 Greebo, theres no pics of the course on the site but its quite a short course according to the site and 4 non members wkdays its quoting €80? Seems extortionate prices during a recession but I dont drive and will prob pay it due to its location, wud u recconmend it keeping the price in mind?

Cheers

played castleknock on saturday , the course is in great condition, greens were good but far from their best

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

2 of the greens were being spiked & sanded yesterday in moate. (1st & 18th) Rest of the course has dried out well and is actually quite firm now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sos33

played mount wosley yesterday course in great nick except for the bunkers which were a disgrace no sand in them it was like hitting off a road and i wasnt the only one who thought so, needs to be addressed but otherwise id recommend a round

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

played fermoy yesterday morning, greens have been sanded heavily, virtually unplayable.
    got the round for €10 each (*3), but still wasn't worth it tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

^^ snap, played there Wednesday, greens were shaven to the bone, sanded & spiked, and............pins were NOT in easy positions !
    It was a fair test of golf alright, got 33pts, winner had 39 tho !
    I had a birdie (the only one) on the 9th hole with a miraculous putt, index 2 !!!! I scratched the 8th hole, Index 18 !!!!!! thats golf for ya :eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Played Luttrellstown yesterday and it was in great nick, although quite wet. One of the par 3 greens was very wet, you could hear squelching when you walked on it, but otherwise really good, given the weather.

can i guess it was the 10th?i used to work there many moons ago

only problem with saying the greens are great when you play, the greenkeepers can go out next day, hollow core (spike) and sand them.
    i used to be a head greenkeeper over 2 courses, we d core and sand them both within 2 weeks,i d let the pro shop know the dates for coring nearly 6 or 8 months in advance , they d put a note on the computer so as to warn people when they rang to book them times,you would be advised to play the course that wasnt been sanded or cored that week,i d always warn the pro shop if i did anything major on the greens, can be hard to warn few days in advance about somethings as the weather determines when we can do certain things, plus you wouldnt believe the hassle you have with pro shop staff not passing on the info to the golfers
    its not right thou to charge pull price for greens that have just been cored and sanded, you should also be warned before you book it at all possible, no point annoying golfers,you want people to come back

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ephelan24

Played South County and greens were railed which is slightly better than core and sanding which I found when I played in Donabate last week.

they were probably verti cut, this is to get rid of the dead organic material at the base of the grass, it can lead to sick greens later in the year,they should be grand again in a day or two

played portmarnock links on wednesday place is in great nick

played concra wood yesterday . tee boxes 100% fairways 100% greens are so true its just a joy to play them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Played Delgany today. Early bird for €26 including breakfast before 09:30....... Only problem is that the food doesn't start till 10am:eek:. Luckily we had arrived early and had time to go around the corner into Delgany village and get a sausage sambo and a cuppa before heading out! To be fair that info is on the website but you have to look for it. I saw the advert in my local free rag which did not mention the 10am food thing. :p
    The pro-shop were very good about it when I explained what had happened and gave us the option of lunch or a discount on an already good price.:D We took the discount as we had lunch sorted.

The course was in great nick.
    Tee boxes perfect and fairways manicured and firm. Ball ran for miles (km for the metric among you!:rolleyes:)
    The only downer was the greens which were hollow cored and sanded..... a neccessary evil I know, but to be fair they weren't too bad.
    Bunkers were great:). I know we are not supposed to go into them but I was in quite a few and got out of them all really well:cool:. I love my 60 deg CG14 lob wedge!!!
    All in all a good show.... the fact I played well always helps!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭dnjoyce

Played Luttrelstown on Sunday - excellent condition alround, as usual. Greens were probably the best I've played on this year. Will be interesting to see what happens to it when it "closes" at the end of the year.

Advertisement