Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best medium to big car for a grand you can get in Ireland today

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

mickdw wrote: »
    A hired avensis costs about 250/week. Id rather that audi even if I had to jump it every morning:)

Definatly better off with that Audi :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Before everyone goes out and buys an executive barge for a €1000, could it be a false economy? I find it hard to believe that even in today's market that a perfectly good running panzor would be worth a bit more than a grand.

Maybe I am being a little paranoid here but these buses are not cheap to fix if they need fixing and at a grand I'm guessing something needs fixing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

ahhhh Bollix Bazz, don't go piss on the parade, its got to be that A8....:-)

ahhhh Bollix Bazz, don't go piss on the parade, its got to be that A8....:-)

No such thing as a free lunch even for a grand... :p

bazz26 wrote: »
    Before everyone goes out and buys an executive barge for a €1000, could it be a false economy? I find it hard to believe that even in today's market that a perfectly good running panzor would be worth a bit more than a grand.

Maybe I am being a little paranoid here but these buses are not cheap to fix if they need fixing and at a grand I'm guessing something needs fixing.

The issue, why these cars are cheap, when they get over a certain age (10+ years) is that parts and tax are quite expensive.

That A8 would be like 1200 something/year to tax and cost quite a bit to maintain. It's a rock solid and fun car though.

You can get 5- and especially 7- series BMW's for pretty cheap, too, once they are over a certain age. Also, if you are somewhat young, insuring that big an engine might be an issue. Another reason, why the car is cheap. Hard to sell.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    The issue, why these cars are cheap, when they get over a certain age (10+ years) is that parts and tax are quite expensive.

That A8 would be like 1200 something/year to tax and cost quite a bit to maintain. It's a rock solid and fun car though.

You can get 5- and especially 7- series BMW's for pretty cheap, too, once they are over a certain age. Also, if you are somewhat young, insuring that big an engine might be an issue. Another reason, why the car is cheap. Hard to sell.

/M

The car might be on the level but I just think that even a large engined exec like that has to be worth a few bob more even when depreciation has bottomed out. My gut feeling is that there is something expensive that needs fixing and the owner doesn't want to spend the money on it hence the price.

Nobody knows for sure though so the point is mute at the moment I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd be inclined to side with bazz on this. Even the way its presented in the pictures isn't great, almost as if the owner couldn't be bothered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭emurphy

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/518i/200937195193874/advert?channel=CARS

other than the clutch problem thats a beautiful example of an old 5 series.

EPM wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to side with bazz on this. Even the way its presented in the pictures isn't great, almost as if the owner couldn't be bothered

sure, ok, but what do you want? If its mechanically sound, who give a toss about the poor pics.
    It's 1k -
    like you could have this for the same kind dosh...:rolleyes:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1005741

emurphy wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/518i/200937195193874/advert?channel=CARS

other than the clutch problem thats a beautiful example of an old 5 series.

Yep. And the clutch isn't that bad to fix.

/M

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

I agree, it's more than likely needing major cash thrown at it. A friend sold a 1998 A4 2.4 petrol with no NCT that needed suspension bushings, had leaking power steering and as few other issues (none too major) for €1300, he had no bother shifting it.

The coolant bottle in that A8 is either empty or has just water in it, there's no coolant there anyway. A 1993 A8 that is sound couldn't be bought for €1000.

sure, ok, but what do you want? If its mechanically sound, who give a toss about the poor pics.
    It's 1k -
    like you could have this for the same kind dosh...:rolleyes:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1005741

Wouldn't touch that either;)

Even if you are spending a grand you'd hope that it was functional, as all things considered (tax, insurance, consumption) it should really be a bit cheaper at that age to make it worth buying. No doubting its some lump of finely tuned metal for the money. Suppose the way to go into it ideally would be if you get 6 months and it packs in you're not losing too much. Beats the depreciation on a new Tiida anyway:pac:

Wouldn't touch that either;)

Even if you are spending a grand you'd hope that it was functional, as all things considered (tax, insurance, consumption) it should really be a bit cheaper at that age to make it worth buying. No doubting its some lump of finely tuned metal for the money. Suppose the way to go into it ideally would be if you get 6 months and it packs in you're not losing too much. Beats the depreciation on a new Tiida anyway:pac:

right, you state you would'nt touch it, but then you follow up with lots of postitives?:confused:

not really positives. I do like A8's but i can see how it could be good value but thats only if it was running well. But there are a lot of if's with it thats all

not really positives. I do like A8's but i can see how it could be good value but thats only if it was running well. But there are a lot of if's with it thats all

There's a lot of if's with any second hand car, no matter the price tag. That's why you look at'em before you buy them. :)

/M

some if's are more expensive than others though:D

Does anyone think that A8 for a €1000 is anywhere near NCT pass condition, I would be 99.9% sure there are costlies need doing to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mikkael

RoverJames wrote: »
    Does anyone think that A8 for a €1000 is anywhere near NCT pass condition, I would be 99.9% sure there are costlies need doing to her.

I'd say you'd be dead right!

fwiw, personally I'd avoid. The A8 is probably less common than even the A2, so the possibility of picking up bits from an indie are nil. Furthermore, if memory serves the body is aluminium, which makes dent repairs in the future a bit of a pain.

It's laden to the gills with advanced electronics too. I got some good advice from people in the trade: either buy pre 1990 ( few electronics ) or post 1995 ( by which time they'd got their act together somewhat with electronics ). Electronics can ruin you life when they go wrong.

I bought a 1990 Saab 9000 myself and it's great, but viciously expensive. Even the brake dust shields ( a strip of metal ) are €132 a pair. I don't want this to sound / be taken as disrespectful, but if the cost of tyres / petrol worry you, think again. I say that as someone who all too often is ruled by the heart as opposed to head, so I know what I'm on about!

The small things cost a bloody fortune, and pattern parts aren't always as good as originals. It's unlikely imho that you'd even get non - brand parts for an A8. In terms of economy, you'd probably get about 22 - 25 m.p.g. at best.

Beautiful car ( one of my favourites actually ) but I'd tread with caution ... and then some. To my thinking, either you've got the bargain of the century there, there's something very expensive wrong with the engine / gearbox, or
    it needs a load of little things that add up to the same expense.

I was thinking Lexus LS400, but you'd have a job even to get one of them in NCT condition for the money. If you go with the A8, check underneath for rust if it's a U.K. import, and check it for being written off ( finance probably isn't an issue at this stage ). In particular, I'd check it for weld lines at some point back through it's life.

Generally speaking, there's all sorts of scams going on with these fellas who own lock - up "garages" btw. Some even have gangland members behind them. A friend bought a Freelander ( 00 ) for €1,500 off a guy and it turned out to have the wrong number plates ( he found this out just before the engine went kaput @ '80,000' miles )

After he complained, he discovered two lads sitting in a jeep in the dark watching him for a few nights outside his house. Dramatic I admit, and probably irrelevant, but it does happen.

So it's either a huge bargain or a complete dog!

Best of luck,

Tony.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1028215
    I rang about it and its JUST SOLD!
    The vendor said he was hammered with calls.
    I asked what the craic with it was and he said the car was AOK bar needing suspension bushes on the front passenger side, mechanically all over it was AOK, Transmission/Engine/Body/Interior was all good he claimed.
    So, it needed some work like it was always going to, but still it could have been the one that got away, or NOT!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Yeah but then we're back to the Sonata comments from the previous thread ...white goods. Lifes to short to sit in a Toyota for any lent of time. Only for Taxi men and 47 year old secondry school teachers looking to retire early, other wise stay away. :eek::D
    Toyota can be quite fun to drive, my (not so) new Avensis is a lot more enjoyable than the car I passed my test in, a 98 VW Polo that has the more complicated gearbox layout, no power steering - and was always in the mechanics shop for some problem or another.

That and with a good service regime, Toyotas can run more or less forever.
    The OP is looking for a reliable car for €1,000. There is simply no point in wasting money on anything OTHER THAN Toyota at this range.

The OP is likely further limited to petrol Toyotas (as diesels tend to be more expensive), and should make sure that any car s/he buys has a good length of NCT left.

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    The OP is looking for a reliable car for €1,000. There is simply no point in wasting money on anything OTHER THAN Toyota at this range.

Rover 600 / Honda Accord is superior to the Carina in comfort, ride, handling and the reliability is comparable. Also very very good examples can be got for the €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

One of those 626s has been standing for 2 years and is not tested, the 406 add offers no info on NCT so presumably it has none, wouldn't touch either to be honest, nor would I recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I totally agree , what a car for the money but there's not a hope in hell you'll get 35+ mpg out of one of these driven in the real world, not a hope. Feather lite on the go pedal, straight roads at 55 everywhere and no traffic then maybe but the first sight of urban roads at rush hour or sit at 75 on the West road with 3 passengers and 35+ is up in smoke. You can 35 mpg out of anything driven easy but then again you can probably get 7 mpg out of every car too. :D

The old A8 has aluminium body panels doesn't it? V v expensive car that way if things go wrong. Even living the bangernomics code, you still have to off it to someone else with that liability.

I imagine very few folks wanting a medium to big car for a grand would consider an A8, realistically :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

One of those 626s has been standing for 2 years and is not tested, the 406 add offers no info on NCT so presumably it has none, wouldn't touch either to be honest, nor would I recommend them.

yes. by your understanding every car should have two years NCT , tax for full year and what's most important should cost nothing or close to nothing. :D

:) not at all, do you think a car that has been standing for 2 years and has not been tested is worth a risk ? Do you think a petrol 406 with no NCT is worth a risk ?

Considering one could get an NCTd Accord, Carina or Rover 600 for a grand. Its common sense really ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Early R75 diseasel.

/thread

PS; had a Leganza for a while-bought it off the old FS forums here actually. Only hassle was a known HG issue, but that was after two years of driving. Only had it done, and the wife pranged it (it was her hack-but the insurance paid out more than I paid for the thing in the first instance!) Big, safe, and utterly forgettable.

Early R75 diseasel.

/.

Great car but you won't get one for a grand. Also clutch replacements can cost a grand as there is lots of labour, suspension bits have to be dropped for access. An early 1.8 k series 75 in good working order wouldn't be got for a grand.

I sold a 1997 Rover 400 turbo diesel to a mechanic 6 months ago for €770.

• Advertisement
Advertisement