Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best medium to big car for a grand you can get in Ireland today

Options
  • 22-10-2009 5:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Reliability is the major factor here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

what?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

There's suggestions in your other thread.

If you want cheap and dont care about engine size look at the Mondeo first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mikkael

There are many ways to interperet the question really. Anything with a big engine is going to be particularly cheap at the moment. I'd imagine for a grand you should pick up a Daewoo Leganza, don't know a huge amount about them but had my eye on one years ago. Zero image, but nice italian design and Korean built so should be reliable ( Daewoo now branded as Chevrolet )

If you want something more classy / substantial you could do worse than a Volvo - a Volvo that's been well kept that is. An 460 or the bigger 850 would be good buys. The newer S40 is an excellent car, though not huge luggage space available.

The aforementioned Mondeo is a good bet, just make sure the clutch is okay. Apparently they have some sort of strange hydraulic clutch release mechanism that costs a fortune to get fixed. This is what I've heard, but then again everything costs a fortune if you go to main dealers so I stand to be corrected on that!

Another fairly decent motor that falls into your price category is the Renault Laguna, a few generations back ( late '90's, early 00's ).

Best of luck

Tony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I wouldn´t buy Daewoo ever again, one was enough, however Volvo s40 is a nice car and you can get that one for 1k,

I have a s40 2l Petrol and it is not the most comfortable car or most economical but well built and cheap to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

mikkael wrote: »
    If you want something more classy / substantial you could do worse than a Volvo - a Volvo that's been well kept that is. An 460 or the bigger 850 would be good buys. The newer S40 is an excellent car, though not huge luggage space available.
    itarumaa wrote: »
    I wouldn´t buy Daewoo ever again, one was enough, however Volvo s40 is a nice car and you can get that one for 1k,

I have a s40 2l Petrol and it is not the most comfortable car or most economical but well built and cheap to buy.

Jesus, I never even considered a volvo, thanks for that lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Over budget but haggle a bit and you'll get close. Worth the extra IMO...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Accord/V-tec/200940195362081/advert?channel=CARS
    no-image-large.gif&width=120&height=90

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Over budget but haggle a bit and you'll get close. Worth the extra IMO...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Accord/V-tec/200940195362081/advert?channel=CARS
    no-image-large.gif&width=120&height=90

The exact car my dad has. I had it for a week and i was in love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

For a grand i would say a Toyota carina e.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Check out the "Bangernomics car of the week/day" thread for some ideas.

kermitpwee wrote: »

Yeah but then we're back to the Sonata comments from the previous thread ...white goods. Lifes to short to sit in a Toyota for any lent of time. Only for Taxi men and 47 year old secondry school teachers looking to retire early, other wise stay away. :eek::D

• Advertisement

kermitpwee wrote: »

I like your thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Best to check the price of one of these first...

oil_tanker.jpg:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Reliable and affordable accoding to a thread I was just reading.

Meet the Hyundai Sonata
    f_17443639_1.jpeg

Yeah but then we're back to the Sonata comments from the previous thread ...white goods. Lifes to short to sit in a Toyota for any lent of time. Only for Taxi men and 47 year old secondry school teachers looking to retire early, other wise stay away. :eek::D

A Carina is a fine bus, the 2.0 petrols were a great car to drive. A bit balnd styling wise but fine cars. For a grand you'd find it hard to beat one. Although a W124 Merc would be in range if you don't mind going back to the early 90s age wise. Great cars too.

I mentioned the carina e as the op asked for a reliable car for a grand. I have owned and worked on a few of them. Parts are cheap and secondhand parts/panels are widely available. Also the problems they suffer from are widely known and can be fixed easily, they also are a big car.

If the op was looking for a 'drivers car' then I would advise something else. For reliability i said a carina e. You cant have it everyway. For 1000 euro you cant buy a reliable 'drivers car' imo.

How about Avensis, I assume you can get older ones around 1k , well at least those 1.8 automatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You can get a BMW 5-series E34 with 1.8 or 2.0i engine for a grand :)

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/518i/200937195193874/advert?channel=CARS

Then again, at that price, they might need a fix. This one has a slipping clutch.

/M

How about Avensis, I assume you can get older ones around 1k , well at least those 1.8 automatics.

Ya the first generation Avensis is a reliable car. An avensis for a grand might be a bit ropey imo but there may be a good one out there for a grand, just might have to do a lot of looking to find it.

Rover 600 in either 1.8 or 2.0 petrol non turbo will also prove reliable, so too the Accords of the same vintage. 1997 models in good condition would be available for a grand, these would have been seen as being more executive cars than the Carina back in the day.

• Advertisement

My friend actually had a Rover 600, he bought it for 1e, drove one year and sold it for 300e.

I think he didn´t had any major issues with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Best to check the price of one of these first...

oil_tanker.jpg:D:D
    a8pic.jpg

Ye Olde A8 (with it's little V6 2.8l engine) is a 28 to 35mpg car. Thats not bad. Driving around in a bank managers car compared to a pukey Daewoo, erm.. surely "only" getting 30mpg+ is pleasantly acceptable?

Its pure Bangornomics win.. assuming its working alright obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Matt Simis wrote: »
    a8pic.jpg

Ye Olde A8 (with it's little V6 2.8l engine) is a 28 to 35mpg car. Thats not bad. Driving around in a bank managers car compared to a pukey Daewoo, erm.. surely "only" getting 30mpg+ is pleasantly acceptable?

+1, its an enormous amount of car for 1k!:D

Matt Simis wrote: »
    a8pic.jpg

I totally agree , what a car for the money but there's not a hope in hell you'll get 35+ mpg out of one of these driven in the real world, not a hope. Feather lite on the go pedal, straight roads at 55 everywhere and no traffic then maybe but the first sight of urban roads at rush hour or sit at 75 on the West road with 3 passengers and 35+ is up in smoke. You can 35 mpg out of anything driven easy but then again you can probably get 7 mpg out of every car too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Reliability is the major factor here.

Reliability is becoming a bit of a non-issue these days. The last reliability index I saw showed that the least reliable car of all has on average 1 issue per year.

An averagely reliable car has an average of 1 issue per 100 years*, so it is pointless to aim for a car that's more reliable than average...

* I'm making this bit up but you get the picture :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

I second (or third) the recommedation for an Accord ... they're bullet proof reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Looks like this is gone, but you could try posting on the thread...

Mint '98 Toyota Camry 2.2 FS €1000

Not your ornery onager

My friend actually had a Rover 600, he bought it for 1e, drove one year and sold it for 300e.

I think he didn´t had any major issues with the car.

I bought a 1999 one for €2350 in 2006, drove it for six months and sold if for €3500 :D Great car that one was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wouldnt mind having a look at that. Thinking of sticking my A5 for sale. That would be a nice machine to fill a gap for a few weeks til I find new car.
    A hired avensis costs about 250/week. Id rather that audi even if I had to jump it every morning:)

Advertisement