Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite 'boutique' beers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Holy crap Chimay White is good...thank you Zulu!
    :D Delighted you liked it - it'll blow the socks off you though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Zulu wrote: »

Only if you drink too much of it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Oh it did!
    Only if you drink too much of it! ;)

Oh I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Enjoying a bottle of Brew Dog's Rip Tide imperial stout at the minute. Tis worth a try...mmmm...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

DBCyc wrote: »
    Enjoying a bottle of Brew Dog's Rip Tide imperial stout at the minute. Tis worth a try...mmmm...

Yep it's dynamite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 winefan

As a recent convert to good beer (my kidneys have had a long relationship with wine), I've had my eyes opened to some really excellent offerings available in Deveney's of Dundrum. I've tried quite a few over the last month or so, mostly recommended by Ruth Deveney.
    There hasn't been a disappointing beer but the ones that stood out for me were the following:

Goose Island IPA. Great sipping beer.

Ginger Tom. This is a combination of Old Tom Ale with added Fentiman's Ginger Beer, which according to Ruth is the best ginger beer made anywhere! I suspect that this beer may not suit the 'purists' out there but I loved it and the ginger makes it just a bit more refreshing.

Lowenbrau Oktoberfestbier. This is Lowenbrau beer specially produced just for the Oktoberfest and consequently is not available all year round. Deveney' brought in about 6 Oktoberfest beers from different breweries in Germany. This one was probably my favourite. It was good to taste something not normally available here.

Chapeau Exotic Lambic Pineapple Beer. This again was recommended by Ruth and very unusual. Medium sweet with a strong pineapple character. For me it was very reminiscent of buying my 'breakfast pineapple' on the streets of Bangkok. This is a bit more expensive at 4.99 but great after dinner beer! I think that this is only available in Deveney's.

I'll definitely be going back for the above but since Ruth Deveney's has quite a big range, I'll be tackling the unknowns first!

How much of a discount do you get for the plug? ;)

winefan wrote: »

Ginger Tom.

Lowenbrau Oktoberfestbier.

Chapeau Exotic Lambic Pineapple Beer.

Few more for the list :) Anybody have any favourite (good) off-licences in town? Preferably central, i.e. around Westmoreland street-ish. I know that one up Camden Street at Kelly's Corner, anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Few more for the list :) Anybody have any favourite (good) off-licences in town? Preferably central, i.e. around Westmoreland street-ish. I know that one up Camden Street at Kelly's Corner, anywhere else?

Best I've been in (not too central sorry):

DrinkStore - Manor Street
    Redmond's - Ranelagh
    Deveney's - Dundrum
    Sweeney's - Glasnevin

All of them are worth the trip, especially DrinkStore and Redmond's

I used to go to Portmarnock but there's a chap opposite Fairview park who has the best selection I've come across. Very plesent chap, will order in anything he doesn't have. I swapped over when I was trying to source a milk stout (which I couldn't get unfortunatly) as his selection was so good.

• Advertisement

I used to go to Portmarnock but there's a chap opposite Fairview park who has the best selection I've come across. Very plesent chap, will order in anything he doesn't have. I swapped over when I was trying to source a milk stout (which I couldn't get unfortunatly) as his selection was so good.

Is that the place with the mirror in the window a few doors down from Marino College? Passed by it but never been in...

Is that the place with the mirror in the window a few doors down from Marino College? Passed by it but never been in...
    Thats the one. Pop in some time - fantastic selection! Worth the look.

Thats the one. Pop in some time - fantastic selection! Worth the look.

Must do, it's not far from me, and I've nearly exhausted Sweeney's' selection of recommended beers!

...and I take it you know about the bull & castle pub? Up by christ church? Savage beer selection. Beats the usual selection.

I should be getting a discount? How much should I look for? How much do the rest of you get?

I like Carvills in Camden street too. Great beers and gutsy Pinotage.

Is it possible to do this and drink for free?

Hey, Redmond's in Ranelagh have some good stuff. I'd definitely recommend that shop.

They're the only off licences I know that are worth a visit. Any others recommended on the south side as good? As you can tell, I use the Luas quite a bit.

I don't do DNS much. Especially now that the evenings are getting darker.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Here's a map of all the quality beer outlets in Dublin. Zoom out for the rest of the country too.

Winefan, have you been to the tasting night's in Deveney's? Times, dates and beer lists are on Ruth's blog.

Thanks for the link to the map. Very interesting and lots of places that I'd never knew existed. I see that the brew pubs don't seem to do that well in terms of ratings. What's the Bull and Castle like? I've seen it mentioned on this site before. Does it do takeaways too?

Regarding Deveney's beer tastings, I arrived in very late for the Oktoberfest night about 3 weeks ago but wasn't there prior to that. I'll definitely go again.

I see that the brew pubs don't seem to do that well in terms of ratings.
    Well, MM's staff are known for being openly hostile to the existence of the house beers. Service in the Porterhouse can be hit-and-miss. Though bear in mind that most of the ratings are based on my opinion alone. New reviews are always welcome on Beermapping.
    What's the Bull and Castle like?
    Best selection in town, particularly upstairs which is open in the evenings. And it has staff who are trained to know actual stuff about beer. It does get rather packed and loud weekend evenings, though.
    Does it do takeaways too?
    Yep: menu.

Fuller's Honey Dew gets a big thumbs up from me. Not nearly as sickly sweet as the Inis and Gunn, just a really complimentary hint of honey. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Electro,
    Drinking a Rochfort 8 as I type (from a large wine glass) - forgotten how much I love this beer:p
    Definitely a 'must try' beer.

• Advertisement

Electro,
    Drinking a Rochfort 8 as I type (from a large wine glass) - forgotten how much I love this beer:p
    Definitely a 'must try' beer.

It's on my list, I just havn't seen it yet. I've even gotten into the habit of dropping into every off-license I pass when I have a spare €3 just to sample one of the beers recommended here! Yet to find this one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Bitter & Twisted for me. Sells at Molloys Nutgrove. Funnily enough it only makes me twisted ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Murphyt

I had some whittstable bay recently, its one of the shepards neame range, lovely light ale, you could drink all day, might be my choice for christmas this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Murphyt wrote: »
    I had some whittstable bay recently, its one of the shepards neame range, lovely light ale, you could drink all day, might be my choice for christmas this year.

Had a bottle of this with dinner last night in the Farm organic restaurant on Dawson Street. Lovely easy drinking, went well with the dish I was having.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

grenache wrote: »
    There's a Polish beer called Zubr, you'll get it in Superquinn and other good offies. Superior to both Lech and Tyskie in my opinion.

I'm sure you've tried Staropramen OP, it has to be the hoppiest beer i've yet to taste. If you're after a nice tasting bargain beer in a bottle, try Moosehead from Canada. Most offies stock it. Really skunky flavour to it, similar to Heineken only much better and cheaper!

Nectar of the Gods, and at 7 Euro per 6 pack of 375ml bottles @ 5%, why it's just fantastic. Love it, love it, love it. :D

I'm so thirsty reading this thread.

Fan of Erdinger, the cloudy one. Tyskie is weird, for me anyway. I get the feeling I'm coming up on some class A drugs when I drink this stuff. Actually get nervous when I'm about to drink some. But it's all good.

Down with Budweiser and idiots who religiously stick to the main types, Boooooooohh!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

BeerNut wrote: »
    Well, MM's staff are known for being openly hostile to the existence of the house beers. Service in the Porterhouse can be hit-and-miss. Though bear in mind that most of the ratings are based on my opinion alone. New reviews are always welcome on Beermapping.

Best selection in town, particularly upstairs which is open in the evenings. And it has staff who are trained to know actual stuff about beer. It does get rather packed and loud weekend evenings, though.

Yep: menu.

Will you be my friend? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hofbräu.

€2 for a 0.5l bottle in tescos atm.

Great stuff. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Super Valu next to O'Connell bridge is a great place to get good beer. and if you're a fan of weissebier then Maisels' Weisse is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Anyone had Little Creatures Pale ale?

One of my all time favourites..

https://www.littlecreatures.com.au/Beers-Category/menu-id-63.html

Used to get it in Oddbins and got it in some off-licences now and again.

• Advertisement

Yes, very nice, though not a million miles from Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which is readily available and currently 4 for a tenner in Deveney's Dundrum.

Edit: Oops, it's actually SN Anniversary which is 4 for a tenner. It's better than Little Creatures PA, I reckon.

Advertisement