Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite 'boutique' beers?

Options
  • 20-10-2009 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

I'm currently on a mission to try every beer readily available in Dublin, in order to decide which is the nicest. I've gotten through most of the cheap/common ones, Oranjeboom coming out as the nicest cheap beer, and have just started with the better beers, the €2.50 a little bottle types, and thoroughly enjoyed Leffe (obviously) and Chimay Rouge, but didn't really rate Bishop's Finger. Used Duvel to wash down a too-spicy Indian so I'll have to try that one again. Anyone have any suggestions for nice beers that you can get in most supermarkets/good off-licenses?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

If you like Leffe then try Hoegarden much nicer IMO, and O'Briens Stout is tasty, most of the Polish stuff is nice too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

dylbert wrote: »
    O'Briens Stout
    O'Hara's?

Which is your local good beer off licence, OP?

Stuff not to miss, off the top of my head: Goose Island IPA, Westmalle Dubbel, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, Schneider Weisse Original, Porterhouse Plain, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen, Bateman's Dark Lord, Anchor Porter, Red Frog and Liefman's Goudenband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

dylbert wrote: »
    If you like Leffe then try Hoegarden much nicer IMO, and O'Briens Stout is tasty, most of the Polish stuff is nice too.

Have had Hoegarden alright, it's pretty tasty. They have it on tap around the place.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    O'Hara's?

Which is your local good beer off licence, OP?

Stuff not to miss, off the top of my head: Goose Island IPA, Westmalle Dubbel, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, Schneider Weisse Original, Porterhouse Plain, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen, Bateman's Dark Lord, Anchor Porter, Red Frog and Liefman's Goudenband.

Sweeney's on Prospect Road is round the corner from me, so I usually go there, they've loads of beers, all in lovely little regional sections. Wow, loads of ones there to try, cheers! Any one's that stand out?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Have had Hoegarden alright, it's pretty tasty. They have it on tap around the place.

Sweeney's on Prospect Road is round the corner from me, so I usually go there, they've loads of beers, all in lovely little regional sections. Wow, loads of ones there to try, cheers! Any one's that stand out?

For me the standout beer in that list is Goudenband - there's plenty of things great stuff there, keep trying things you haven't had really - Westmalle Dubble, La Chouffre and Mc Chouffre (which both come in big bottles), Ale Mary, Brewdog (Scottish Brewery) have some great beers, of the ones that are readily available in good beer off licensees here I would go with Riptide Stout.

There is any amount of great beers, the problem will soon become finding a beer you haven't had.

Sweeney's on Prospect Road is round the corner from me, so I usually go there
    Nice place. I heard they had Ola Dubh in stock recently.
    Any one's that stand out?
    Schlenkerla Rauchbier is the one that stands out for me in particular. DrinkStore down on Manor Street is the only place that has it regularly. Torpedo IPA is one of the best of its kind (superhopped American ale) around.
    mayordenis wrote: »
    keep trying things you haven't had really
    Couldn't agree more. Once you learn the basics of beer styles you can direct your purchases in all sorts of different direction. But the only way to learn is to keep drinking. :)
    mayordenis wrote: »
    the problem will soon become finding a beer you haven't had.
    Ha! Been at this game eight or nine years, man and boy, and it hasn't happened yet. And the selection has never been better in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Affligem (Blond beer)
    Franziskaner (Wisse beer)
    Spaten

I prefer Chimay Blue or White myself, but there you go.

Zulu wrote: »

Have had that on tap in Germany, and amn't as much of a fan of the bottles, anyone know if they have it on tap in Dublin anywhere? Definitely my favourite Weissebeir.

Cheers for the input, looks like it's gonna be tasty weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Have had that on tap in Germany, and amn't as much of a fan of the bottles, anyone know if they have it on tap in Dublin anywhere? Definitely my favourite Weissebeir.

Cheers for the input, looks like it's gonna be tasty weekend!
    It's nice on tap also, but I don't know anywhere in dublin that has it (on tap that is).

Another lovely beer I tried recently was "Goose Island" - their summer beer was beautiful.
    Or "Trade Winds" is a stronger flavour, but very nice.

I had a really interesting beer in a restaurant in London one time, but it was on tap so I've no idea what it was...Restaurant was called The Yard, and the beer was kind of fruity and spicy at the same time...Doubt I'll ever find it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Orval is a must have!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

Coopers Vintage ale .....serioulsy good.

keeps for up to 5 years, improves with age.....Something I will never experience as I can hardly keep a beer for a day never mind 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

There's a Polish beer called Zubr, you'll get it in Superquinn and other good offies. Superior to both Lech and Tyskie in my opinion.

I'm sure you've tried Staropramen OP, it has to be the hoppiest beer i've yet to taste. If you're after a nice tasting bargain beer in a bottle, try Moosehead from Canada. Most offies stock it. Really skunky flavour to it, similar to Heineken only much better and cheaper!

I'm heading up to Sweeney's in a bit to get a couple of these, assuming they have a good couple of them. I'll let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭SMcDDB

Sierra Navada is a lovely beer. It's for sale at Molloys off-licence. Highly recommended.

Ok, here's what I came back with. I got:
    One Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (didn't see Torpedo, and someone recommended this too),
    one Orval (cheers the beer revolution, I had to trust you with that avatar) ,
    one Spaten,
    one Chimay Blue, and one Chimay White (On Zulu's advice).

Saw a bottle of Goose Island, but it wasn't IPA, it was a bitter, so I though I'd leave it, and they only had Westmalle Triple in, so I left that too.

Anyone know are there any special drinking procedures for any of these? I.e glasses etc?

For the Orval and Chimays you need a wide-brimmed glass to let the aromas out. A wine glass will do it.

Good call on the Goose Island Honkers: why buy fake English ale when the real thing is sitting next to it?

For the Orval and Chimays you need a wide-brimmed glass to let the aromas out. A wine glass will do it.

I have a few of something like these: http://www.kegworks.com/images/product-images/128540-belgianGlass-B1.jpg, they'll do the trick nicely. The Spaten is just a regular lager I'm guessing, so a regular glass for that, what about the Sierra Nevada?
    Good call on the Goose Island Honkers: why buy fake English ale when the real thing is sitting next to it?

Thought it a bit suspect for an 'authentic English bitter' to be sitting in the American section alright ;)

what about the Sierra Nevada?
    I'd use the stemmed one for that too, to catch the lovely hoppy aromas.

I'd use the stemmed one for that too, to catch the lovely hoppy aromas.

Will do. Just cracked open a Chimay Blue, very nice. Not as much of a wow-factor as the red for me, but a lovely flavour on your tongue all the same. It was the most expensive of the bunch though, €3.80 a little bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

grenache wrote: »
    Zubr, you'll get it in Superquinn and other good offies. Superior to both Lech and Tyskie in my opinion

Don't think I've tried Zubr, must keep an eye out. My Polski beer of choice is Zywiec, with Okocim (particularly Mocne) another fine choice.

Tyskie isn't bad, but a bit bland in comparison to the above. Lech is like Polish Budweiser.

• Advertisement

FruitLover wrote: »
    Okocim, another fine choice.

Tried that when I was over in Krakow, simply because it was the cheapest berr in the shop, about 20c a can, and it's so nice!

Holy crap Chimay White is good...thank you Zulu!

Anyone know are there any special drinking procedures for any of these? I.e glasses etc?

I'd echo Beernut here.
    I use a large wineglass for almost any beer.
    Also even a 33cl bottle can be shared nicely between 2 (or 2 between 3 at a push) by pouring into wine glasses.
    That way you can taste lot of stronger beers without being too excessive on the alcohol.

Generally, if I have a bunch of people around, I give everyone a glass, open several bottles and keep topping up. That way you're not poring half full bottles down the drain after people leave but everyone gets to drink as much as they like.

Last night I tried the Sierra Nevada, which was very nice, and a Weihenstephaner Hefe Wiess Bier, which I was seriously impressed with, one of the nicest Weiss Biers I've had. Also tried that Inis ad Gunn beer, and didn't like it at all...far too sweet for my taste.

Last night I tried the Sierra Nevada, which was very nice, and a Weihenstephaner Hefe Wiess Bier, which I was seriously impressed with, one of the nicest Weiss Biers I've had. Also tried that Inis ad Gunn beer, and didn't like it at all...far too sweet for my taste.

Try the Weihenstephaner Dunkle
    It's a rather light dunkle - very good!
    Schneiderweiss Hefe is wonderful too - it's a pretty dark hefe (not unlike the Weihenstephaner Dunkle)

Try the Weihenstephaner Dunkle
    It's a rather light dunkle - very good!
    Schneiderweiss Hefe is wonderful too - it's a pretty dark hefe (not unlike the Weihenstephaner Dunkle)

I'll add them to the list ;) I've also heard good things about Erdinger Dunkel, have you tried it?

I've also heard good things about Erdinger Dunkel
    The Erdinger beers are really second-rate compared to the like of Schneider and Weihenstephaner, IMO anyway.

The Weihenstephan brewery, incidentally, is attached to the Bavarian government's beer research institute. Those guys know what they're doing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Can we count Galway Hooker as a "boutique" beer? I can't even get it in my local offie (even though I hear a bottled version is being produced??). Had a few pints in the Porterhouse last night, and what a fine beer it is. Was down in Galway recently and it had good penetration in the pubs down there, but if there was any appreciation of local beer in this country, then this stuff should be served in every pub. A session beer that actually tastes of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Hoegaarden has been a favourite for years.

• Advertisement

IronMan wrote: »
    I can't even get it in my local offie (even though I hear a bottled version is being produced??)
    Nothing more than rumblings from the rumour mill at this stage. Hooker is still draught-only. Unfortunately.

Advertisement