Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anglicans and Catholic Church [article]

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

homer911 wrote: »
    Actually it was the Jews some time after 100AD. I don't believe the word "Protestant" had been invented then...

The deutero-canonical books were used in the Diaspora, not in Palestinian synagogues. Therefore they were not included among the books that both Jesus and His hearers would have understood by 'the Scriptures'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

2 Tim. 3:16 - this verse says that Scripture is "profitable" for every good work, but not exclusive. The word "profitable" is "ophelimos" in Greek. "Ophelimos" only means useful, which underscores that Scripture is not mandatory or exclusive. Protestants unbiblically argue that profitable means exclusive.

As a protestant, may I say that I dont believe that protestants would argue that this means exclusive - you are relying on the argument of others without critical analysis. Nobody would argue that if the bible does not talk about a particular topic, then we can have no opinion on it, or have no idea what God's will is for us on the subject. the Bible in this case has to be "useful" (providing direction), supported by our own consciences, prayer and meditation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Is there any up to date website, where a list of all Church of Ireland Clergy can be found, listing what parishes they serve in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 offdechain

yes happy days thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Here is a list of the dioceses, parishes info, and rectors.

• Advertisement

Jakkass wrote: »
    Here is a list of the dioceses, parishes info, and rectors.

I am aware of that website and was wondering if there was any better. That one does not give all the info i would have hoped to get, things such as names, addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers and maybe the same for retired clergy. I know most catholic diocesian websites have the details on theres and was hoping there would be something similar for the Church of Ireland.

Thanks by the way for that link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It gives names, addresses and telephone numbers like the other ones. Click the diocese, and the parish you want, and the contact information for the minister will be there including phone and email.

If you'd like more detail, this can be found in the Church of Ireland Directory, if you request one via their main offices they should be able to send one out to you.

Jakkass wrote: »
    It gives names, addresses and telephone numbers like the other ones. Click the diocese, and the parish you want, and the contact information for the minister will be there including phone and email.

If you'd like more detail, this can be found in the Church of Ireland Directory, if you request one via their main offices they should be able to send one out to you.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ShotgunPaddy

PDN wrote: »
    It's announcing a change in the rules to specifically promote the transfer of groups of Anglicans into the RC Church. As such it is clearly hoping to

I would see it as similar to Arsenal saying, "We're going to change our wage structure and disciplinary policy to facilitate any Chelsea players that want to join us next season." You can dress such an announcement up however you like - but in the end its essentially a poaching exercise.

Not that I've any problems with that, I believe in the survival of the fittest when it comes to religion, and I'm happy for all churches to do what they can (obviously nothing immoral or dishonest) to attract members.

Really!

The Vatican was petitioned repeatedly by conservative Anglican groups begging for an arrangement that would preserve Anglican liturgical tradition, culture and customs while still permitting affiliation to Rome. Conservative Anglican Bishops were pushed away by the liberals who refused to accommodate their views. They were told to get stuffed so now they have gone over to Rome. Whose fault is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ultravid

Really!

The Vatican was petitioned repeatedly by conservative Anglican groups begging for an arrangement that would preserve Anglican liturgical tradition, culture and customs while still permitting affiliation to Rome. Conservative Anglican Bishops were pushed away by the liberals who refused to accommodate their views. They were told to get stuffed so now they have gone over to Rome. Whose fault is that?

Why is it that liberals are happy to tolerate any view, just so long as it coincides with their own?

I think a good exchange would be for us to take their orthodox people, and they can have our liberals, hippies, and dissenters. After all, I think most dissenters would be happier in the CoE where they can have their homosexuality, abortions, contraception and whatever else tickles their fancy.

We are going to see a showdown pretty soon in the Catholic Church - there is a big separation of sheep and goats coming up and long, long, long overdue. The sooner the better. Cos right now, the goats are trampling over the sheep and doing untold damage and have been allowed to do so for the last forty years or so. Get out, now, is what I say to them.

• Advertisement

Ultravid wrote: »
    Why is it that liberals are happy to tolerate any view, just so long as it coincides with their own?

I think a good exchange would be for us to take their orthodox people, and they can have our liberals, hippies, and dissenters. After all, I think most dissenters would be happier in the CoE where they can have their homosexuality, abortions, contraception and whatever else tickles their fancy.

We are going to see a showdown pretty soon in the Catholic Church - there is a big separation of sheep and goats coming up and long, long, long overdue. The sooner the better. Cos right now, the goats are trampling over the sheep and doing untold damage and have been allowed to do so for the last forty years or so. Get out, now, is what I say to them.

There could well be proven to be a King Goat in the Capital who likes to tell people what to do and who appears to have no interest in anyones opinion other than his own.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    There could well be proven to be a King Goat in the Capital who likes to tell people what to do and who appears to have no interest in anyones opinion other than his own.

Pope Benedict is no goat. He is simply standing firm on the Church's perennial teaching, which is his duty (cf. Mt. 16:18).

This is the Catholic Faith. There are essentially two choices: 1. learn about it and make a decision for Christ, or 2. Don't bother to learn about why the Church teaches what it does, and continue in one's sinful ways.

The Church, teaching with Christ's authority (cf. Lk. 10:16)*, offers the narrow way of salvation which is everlasting life , but which few find (cf. Mt. 7:14. The world offers the wide, easy descent to perdition.

The fact is, few Catholics were ever taught the Faith: not at home, nor school, nor in church. I taught myself with good Catholic books and websites, such as these:
    http://www.scripturecatholic.com/
    http://www.catholic.com/library/faith_tracts.asp

* http://www.ewtn.com/library/SCRIPTUR/LK1016.TXT

Ultravid wrote: »
    Pope Benedict is no goat. He is simply standing firm on the Church's perennial teaching, which is his duty (cf. Mt. 16:18).

This is the Catholic Faith. There are essentially two choices: 1. learn about it and make a decision for Christ, or 2. Don't bother to learn about why the Church teaches what it does, and continue in one's sinful ways.

The Church, teaching with Christ's authority (cf. Lk. 10:16)*, offers the narrow way of salvation which is everlasting life , but which few find (cf. Mt. 7:14. The world offers the wide, easy descent to perdition.

The fact is, few Catholics were ever taught the Faith: not at home, nor school, nor in church. I taught myself with good Catholic books and websites, such as these:
    http://www.scripturecatholic.com/
    http://www.catholic.com/library/faith_tracts.asp

* http://www.ewtn.com/library/SCRIPTUR/LK1016.TXT

wasnt referring to the pope.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    wasnt referring to the pope.

Who were you referring to?

Advertisement