Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x04 "Darkness" **SPOILERS**

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

User45701 wrote: »
    They own the rightas

the own the rights to sg1 and sga - ~Also the way they film the stones working its the actor playing the role of another charactor. This means any SGU actor can say "hi i am rodey - i know how to fix this" or "i am carter the solution is simple" type endings. They dont need to hire the actors they are portraying because they own the rights to their names so i hope they dont start doing that to solve problems

they done that in atlantis with weir,
    torri higginson wouldnt come back so they put her in a replicators body

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I was not a fan of SG Atlantic Homecare (flatpacked, two dimensional generic characters) and abandoned it after they brought Beckett back.

This however I really like. We all know they've taken a lot from BSG and I think it works. I think Begbie's a brilliant character. I actually like all the characters a lot except for Ming-Na. How annoying is her constant questioning going to get! The tone is just about spot on (Liked the areobraking maneuver It kind of reminded me of the Transit Of Venus scene in Sunshine: The awed crowd, music etc. Also liked the touch of Young telling people to get back from the wall). Like the way they do the communication with earth too. I also thought Young was gonna call on Jackson. The humour is nice and lowkey.

It will be interesting to see where the story arc is going to go. I've no idea about villains etc and don't want to know.

I like the idea of the ship being crippled and hope they never get to the point where it's all running fully. I thought SG1 kind of lost it in the latter seasons when they started getting all these super-de-duper ships and weapons. I liked Earth being the underdog.

As someone said, for me, it's the first SG series since maybe season 5 of SG1 where I've been really looking forward to seeing what happens in the next episode.

My only concern is that they will mellow out the conflicting characters over time. I think Carlysle's character should stay as much of a d*ck as he is now. Look at Star Trek Voyager: That was supposed to be all about two conflicting crews and by the end of the pilot they were all loveydovey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Another thing I really liked was that it made me think, hey maybe Rush isn't some evil genius after all, maybe he's just a scientist with no social skills who hasn't slept or had a coffee, a decent meal or a smoke in ages.

Thought it was a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Volvagia wrote: »
    Another thing I really liked was that it made me think, hey maybe Rush isn't some evil genius after all, maybe he's just a scientist with no social skills who hasn't slept or had a coffee, a decent meal or a smoke in ages.

TBH I always thought that about Rush. Never thought of him as the bad guy. Just a pr!ck. Hope they keep him that way and not mellow out all the characters to a nice medium SG:A bland (God I hated that show. Even Kaylee couldn't help it :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

TBH I always thought that about Rush. Never thought of him as the bad guy. Just a pr!ck.

Exactly, a scientific talent with crappy personality, with no purpose on Earth since his wife died. The only thing that he has left is to explore and the survival of the crew is only important if it contributes to further exploration. I don't believe he's evil but his priorities and way of thinking are so different that he'll continue being a prick. Which is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,901 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Volvagia wrote: »

Well the wiki mentions that before signing onto the Icarus project he lost his wife. He filled the gap by pouring himself into the work. Rewatch their first attempt to dial the 9th Chevron - the lad is anxious and insistent to get it done.
    Hard to break down really. After getting everyone stranded on Destiny you can see the burden on the guy, but thats torn with the knowledge of being on the greatest Discovery ever. They even show you the ragged look on the man's face when people are ready to hang him for getting them all stranded there. He knows full well that was avoidable; but it would have meant Humanity's only chance to dial the 9th Chevron, and he weighed that against everything else, with consequences. He's a Big Picture Thinker. Save 100 odd people and dial Earth or make one last ditch attempt to Dial the 9th Chevron. Its already been highlighted a couple times in the last episode how terribly far ahead the guy thinks.
    Totally burnt out guy. Gone into total science mode. Trying to decide who lives and who dies (Air 2) and throw in coffee and smoke deprivation and the man becomes a whole pot of crazy. In other words, a 3 dimensional character.

And I really love the scene in the Mess when he nearly snaps the neck of Young when the lights have a brownout.

They own the rightas

the own the rights to sg1 and sga - ~Also the way they film the stones working its the actor playing the role of another charactor. This means any SGU actor can say "hi i am rodey - i know how to fix this" or "i am carter the solution is simple" type endings. They dont need to hire the actors they are portraying because they own the rights to their names so i hope they dont start doing that to solve problems
    I really hope they won't do this.

Most of the reason SGA fell apart was internal bickering though. Who can really say from where unless you were on the inside. Something didnt click. Rainbow? Dropped like an Equal Opportunity Brick. Paul McGillon written out against his will (probably) and then brought back Soap Opera style. Same thing with Torri Higginson. In fact, you can break it down like a Soap Opera. It was sad.

And I wouldnt be surpised if Joe Flannigan or a few other people from the series gave the 2 fingers to MGM. But I like to think a few of them would have the cop on to get over it. David Hewlett in particular hardly seems the guy to hold a grudge. He's also the only guy I could imagine playing someone else's character effortlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

i have to agree with @TheIrishGrover

this has something stargate has lost a long time ago

when they started flying around in ships more than going thru gate, and atlantis got contact with earth thats when it went seriously downhill, i only hope that didnt harm the show or drive away viewers, i know i lost all interest last few season of sg1 and atlantis

it was like "oh theres another few episodes to download, meh"

now its like "cant wait till Saturdays!"

the characters are coming along, and i have to say thats what made sg1, it was the characters, watching Tea'lc develop, watching O'Neill get more humorous and most importantly them stepping thru the gate into the unknown and none of the last minute McCay saves the day plotlines :(

alot people compare it to BSG but its incomparable, BSG was just downright depressing and went down the ****ter with whole "god did it" thingie :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I absolutely love the cinematography in SGU. It's atmospheric, and 'movie' style makes it more realistic. I loved the scene in ep4 where the ship is being catapulted around the planet. So far I much prefer it to SGA, I lost interest in that towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    i have to agree with @TheIrishGrover

this has something stargate has lost a long time ago

when they started flying around in ships more than going thru gate, and atlantis got contact with earth thats when it went seriously downhill, i only hope that didnt harm the show or drive away viewers, i know i lost all interest last few season of sg1 and atlantis

it was like "oh theres another few episodes to download, meh"

now its like "cant wait till Saturdays!"

Its good but its definatly not good enough to stay up till 4am to watch it :)
    Id say ill do that for the 2nd part of any two parters but the show has not built up enough momentem to be obsessed and in a rush with/for new episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Universe certainly looks the part so far - great cinematography alright.

I enjoyed Darkness quite a lot. Character driven shows are the way to go.

Everytime I hear Darkness I keep thinking of this (starts @0:55)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I dunno.
    For some reason, I'm not bowled over. I'm enjoying watching it, and am glad there is a decent quality sci-fi series showing. Better than nothing. But I get the feeling that a lot of fans were just desperate for a decent space-based sci-fi show and are hyping this up to more than it is.

For me, it doesn't have the feel of true sci-fi thus far. The character development feels clunky and ham-fisted. It's more like 'lost,' in space than a real sci-fi show atm. I'm still enjoying it, and still tuning in, but it's a solid 3/5 so far.

I also agree that turning this into a two-parter isn't as great a thing as most people seem to be saying. I don't think this episode has enough story to be a two-parter, but they've just padded it out with a lot of crap in order to extend the length and get more milage out of it.

I've also been very dissapointed this far with the stone scenes, esp back on Earth. First with the senator's wife and her drinking. Terrible scene, terrible acting. Young and his wife too. Just feels like really forced character development. I'd prefer if they didn't have any of this stone nonsense or contact with earth.

Yes it's grittier, like BSG, but BSG had some great sci-fi too, and so far, I'm not really seeing/feeling it here. Even the episode with the alien on the desert planet as a bit wtf. How did it know what they were looking for, why did it lead them there.

Scott's church flash back was idiotic also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

James74 wrote: »
    Best episode so far.

I'm loving the slower, more character driven nature SGU.

After Einstein and Hawkings lovechild Sam Carter, and the bumbling Rodney, it was brilliant to make Destiny's resident genius someone we can't really like yet and don't entirely trust,

yep think Carlyle is playing the character perfectly , kinda reminds of Dr Smith from Lost in Space ( self serving , sneaky , untrust worthy )

on a side note Rodney = Bumbling ? cant say i agree , always liked the interaction between McKay and Sheppard

roll on this weeks SGU ep !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Did he actually meet an alien or was he just delusional? he hadnt much to drink and alot of sun, plus he was seeing his old priest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

madrab wrote: »
    Did he actually meet an alien or was he just delusional? he hadnt much to drink and alot of sun, plus he was seeing his old priest

I'd say it was real (alien or AI or whatever), based on the fact that we the viewer saw this thing several times before the crew saw it. It would be a bit of a stretch in the writing that Scott was imagining it, but he didnt see it.

My take on it was the aliens actually produced the lime as a by product of processing water.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

A part of me was actually hoping that he'd been genuinely hallucinating.So that when they'd land back on Destiny and open his bag they'd find it was just pure useless sand.
    Ultimate twist.:D

Because it wasn't the case, I'm inclined to agree with Overheal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Malty_T wrote: »
    A part of me was actually hoping that he'd been genuinely hallucinating.So that when they'd land back on Destiny and open his bag they'd find it was just pure useless sand.
    Ultimate twist.:D

LOL. That would have been good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Its good but its definatly not good enough to stay up till 4am to watch it :)
    Id say ill do that for the 2nd part of any two parters but the show has not built up enough momentem to be obsessed and in a rush with/for new episodes.

neh but its becoming a nice routine on saturday mornings :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I too like the saturday morning sci fi fix, it's the closest thing to filling the void left by BSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

Good episode - enjoyed it. Most of the plus points have already been touched on - main downer for me was that I was expecting the ship to be equipped with fuel scoops, and the "breaking" maneuver was actually a refuel. Ah well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Maybe the ship is gas powered and thats why it was flying so close to the gas giant:confused:and just needs a bit of time to refine the gas before it powers up again

And how is it going to refine gas without power?

I think its been established the braking maneuver was not a source of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i assumed the breaking manouver was to make sure the ship had the correct speed for the gas giant to adjust its path to where the ship wwanted to go

if the ship didint go to the sun deliberately then i see them being rescued by aliens - meybe the first race will be friendly?

i dont think they will fix the problem themselves but we shall find out soon :)

damm you overheal and your getting to see it first!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

i'm being patient and waiting till the sky1 version is shown so I can watch it in full glorious hd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

somuj wrote: »
    Maybe the ship is gas powered and thats why it was flying so close to the gas giant:confused:and just needs a bit of time to refine the gas before it powers up again

from light
    it didnt just fly close to the sun, it flew into the sun, its not solar powered in the way it absorbes the radiation and turns it into power, its solar powered on the basis that its actually fueled by the suns mass, not the radiation from it, it flew into the sun and scopped up some sun for itself

Advertisement