Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x04 "Darkness" **SPOILERS**

Options
  • 17-10-2009 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,913 ✭✭✭✭

So I guess we have to lay down some new spoiler rules. First 15 posts or first page of the thread for most users, use the tags. If youre reading past that, its user's preference. You risk ruining it for yourself. Anything that might spoil an SG1 or SGA episode for someone, spoiler tag those, you can watch SGU on its own without needing to draw heavily on the other two so lets be nice to any newcomers.

Am I right? Thats my take on it anyway.

How do you rate "Darkness" 50 votes

9 Chevrons of Awesome
    0% 0 votes
    Shower Power
    30% 15 votes
    McKay
    52% 26 votes
    N'O'Niell.
    14% 7 votes
    All the power is gone...out of this show. (Baddm-'Tsss)
    4% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,913 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It was a buildup episode. Is that a spoiler? Youre damn right it is. If I knew I might have skipped it! heh. Then again, if I knew about a shower scene..

But it was actually pretty damned good. Carlyle does a great performance.

But love triangles? I smell a love triangle. Dammit.

You wont want to miss this episode, tbph.

Looking forward to next week. The characters are really shaping up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Good ep, looking forward to next week. Am really hoping the show lives up to potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

If people are reading a thread clearly marked spoilers and complain they got spoiled then they are really fucking stupid. Anything that happened in this episode B]That does not mean next weeks promo[/B is fair game to be discussed without spoiler tags.

The withdrawal symptoms were an interesting inclusion in the story. Just another problem they have to deal with. No Jack this week but you can't have it all. I actually thought we were going to see Daniel when Young said he had one more stop to make. The effects were once again top notch. The video segments were slightly annoying. We've had this kind of bullshit in Atlantis. Got the feeling of rehashed stuff there but at least we got to know some of the redshirts. Could be a Zalenka or two hiding in there. Ending was great. Anything to be said for blowing up another sun? Carter?

Very pleased with Universe so far, if they keep up this pace i'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Bit of a buildup ep alright, but still great. Loved the slingshot manoeuvre. Reminded me of the pilot ep of Farscape when Moya does it over a planet. But still class

Cant wait for next weeks ep. I'm thinking though that them heading to the star is not a mistake, that the ship has done it a number of times to recharge it-self. Lets face it, its near a million years old and even Atlantis with 3 ZPM's only lasted 10,000 years or so.

Still cant wait, hope to see the shuttle in use soon to. See what its like and how it flies.

Also alot of answers about stuff too. Such as water supply on the ship, showers and recharging of tech. Next up.. the laundry room :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I like the way they concentrating on the characters

and how they explain and concentrate on little things/issues like
    * the battery charger and
    * amount of water left
    * them being burned in faces
    * uniforms getting dirtier and bloodier

it was originally meant to be a 1parter but, they decided to make two in order not to fall into the same rushed job that ****ed up atlantis so bad

4th episode and in im def sold on this now, i dont remember this much anticipation for next weeks episodes in any of the previous gates, and tis good, keep us hooked :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

sutty wrote: »
    Cant wait for next weeks ep. I'm thinking though that them heading to the star is not a mistake, that the ship has done it a number of times to recharge it-self. Lets face it, its near a million years old and even Atlantis with 3 ZPM's only lasted 10,000 years or so.

Had the same thought while watching it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is what is happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

My god, the tits on that military chick eli was spying on.

rest of the episode was dross, but they were spectacular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ LOL!....that chicks boobs were the ONLY reason i was gonna post here. Gonna watch this show from now on JUST for her....GIGANTIC!!!!!!!!!

:-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

HAHA!....we're not the only one's thinking of Julia, look at her Google stats go through the roof!!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=713650

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Really finding it hard to get into SGU tbh. None of the character's are interesting and there is a serious lack of humour for a Stargate show. I checked out the rest of this season's episode's synopsis and they look like more of the same :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Venom wrote: »
    Really finding it hard to get into SGU tbh. None of the character's are interesting and there is a serious lack of humour for a Stargate show. I checked out the rest of this season's episode's synopsis and they look like more of the same :(

there were quite alot of good jokes in this one

they are a bit sharper jokes and alot more grown up

anyways its more drama, they aint trying to make comedy

that was the biggest downfall of sg1 and atlantis, the jokes were too ridiculous and not funny most of the time

its hard to take serious shows that dont take themselves seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

I found it boring tbph

Hope it improves

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I enjoyed it. I dug the fact they covered a few areas such as clarifying the tech had nothing to do with the Ancient gene or how they'd get clean after a bit (they don't). They also made mention of why all the systems are going now after millions of years and what to do about water. The food isn't top notch fare either...

The characters are still pretty decent and it's good to see some focus on the tertiary ones via the Kino. I'd like to think that the show will make smart reuse of them because of how it introduces their skillsets (geophysicist, astrophysicist, medic, etc).

More humour here - not to the same levels of SG1 or SGA obviously, but I think it's still present and I think it's good for the show to freshen itself and think a bit differently after 15 seasons.
    Sherifu wrote:
    If people are reading a thread clearly marked spoilers and complain they got spoiled then they are really ****ing stupid. Anything that happened in this episode [That does not mean next weeks promo] is fair game to be discussed without spoiler tags.
    Well put. It says spoilers in the thread title for "Darkness". I take that to mean that there will be spoilers for Darkness - ergo no need for spoiler tags. It's in the charter too. So sayeth I the mod.

Atlantis wasnt incredibly hilarious when it first aired either. It was goofy in places, but not funny. And Jack used to be serious. Characters and their Actors take time to get into their skin.
    Thats what I was thinking. But then again, it didnt spring back to life after the slingshot. The ship also predates Ancient Gene Tech, its likely it predates Zero Point technology. So how Destiny gets its power, is still a damn mystery.
    ei.sdraob wrote: »
    it was originally meant to be a 1parter but, they decided to make two in order not to fall into the same rushed job that ****ed up atlantis so bad
    Im sure thats why they changed format. Getting rid of the need to wrap everything up in 42 minutes really frees you up to show the story you wanna show without having to worry about hashing together a beginning middle and end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Overheal wrote: »
    Thats what I was thinking. But then again, it didnt spring back to life after the slingshot. The ship also predates Ancient Gene Tech, its likely it predates Zero Point technology. So how Destiny gets its power, is still a damn mystery.

Aye, but they slungshot off a planet and are now heading to the sun. Me thinks its powered by something the sun can recharge or renew. I was also thinking about the ZPM's, thats why I broth it up. Think they only had them to power drones and hyperspace drives. So much later tech. Cant wait to see the cannons being fired. Say that will look cool. But for now, I am going with it is meant to head for the sun. (not been reading spoilers) Enjoying the show to much to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

HAHA!....we're not the only one's thinking of Julia, look at her Google stats go through the roof!!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=713650

Lol great link! How hollywood.... air force spec ops and wears black lace frilled undies under her tac gear! Cool.

Aye, but they slungshot off a planet and are now heading to the sun. Me thinks its powered by something the sun can recharge or renew. I was also thinking about the ZPM's, thats why I broth it up. Think they only had them to power drones and hyperspace drives. So much later tech. Cant wait to see the cannons being fired. Say that will look cool. But for now, I am going with it is meant to head for the sun. (not been reading spoilers) Enjoying the show to much to
    I dont think the sun trajectory was intentional. Destiny was calculating the trajectory based on its reserve power, but it had no way to account for the random power drains because of the people on board turning **** on and off. In this case it only took a lost second of maneuvering power or two to throw off its calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

hightower1 wrote: »
    Lol great link! How hollywood.... air force spec ops and wears black lace frilled undies under her tac gear! Cool.

I think she is necessary as a character, every Sci-Fi show needs hotties, but calling her Special Forces was unnecessary and a bad move. She is quite obviously just eyecandy and now we should expect her to be able to fight, But I bet she won't be able or required to.

Also, she is one of only 3 officers, aside from the Colonel, what is she doing out of the loop, especially if she is SF, that was a bad idea as it is unlikely to be something that would happen.
    I dont think the sun trajectory was intentional. Destiny was calculating the trajectory based on its reserve power, but it had no way to account for the random power drains because of the people on board turning **** on and off. In this case it only took a lost second of maneuvering power or two to throw off its calculation.

I am inclined to agree with Sutty on the Sun being the recharger for the Ship, it seems more likely than the ship just randomly regaining power and I can't think of any other likely way for it to do so.

I also like the idea of the Ancients being able to harvest the power of a sun to recharge their ships. I mean if we can use solar Panels, why can't they?

I quite enjoyed the episode, although I am looking forward to seeing the Astro Phyisist die. I don't like him, he seems too needy and wants validation.

The Relationship between Ely and the senators daughter I am interested in. She is giving him all the signs, but I don't think she intends to and it will get awkward!!!

I like that they are not afraid to show sex on this series, like in the first episode, and I am enjoying the attention to detail such as the recharging functions.

I am concerned about how they will deal with females on board though, I'd love to know how they deal with their bdily functions, and one of them has to get pregnant at one stage of the series given the likely lack of birth control on board.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

one of them has to get pregnant at one stage of the series given the likely lack of birth control on board.

Up the bum, no harm done. Up the fanny, your mothers a granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

good solid episode, i like how there drawing out the caracters, just a little bit at a time,

was great when Lt.boobs (sorry 2nd Lt. Vanessa James) asked eli to go with her, only to bring him to a room with half the military personel, and trying to (and succeeding) intimidate him to tell them what he knows,

there wont be a triangle with eli, i dont mind a bit of skin being shown off, anyone over the age of 11 and with access to the internet has seen more than whats on show here, and not many 10 or 9 years olds will be tuning into this anyway,

i was surprised telford didnt pull TJ for what she done last time, and why the hell is he giving orders, he only been on the ship 20 seconds theres no power, nobody has clue whats going on, and in comes telford dishing out orders, hes a complete ****head, but i suppose people like him would probably act like that, going around acting like they know whats happening, while not havin a clue

id say the ship will recharge off the sun, i dunno why they didnt deploy the shuttle straight away when they saw the planet,

i think with more 2-3 parter eps this show can definately build up to something, nice neat 45 minutes eps should be stopped, its just to tidy, i always found atlantis tied up some stories a bit quick, they had the fun eps which i liked, but the more serious eps should be 2 parters,
    each season should have 2 or 3 2 parters and at least one 3 parter, give the writers time to tell a decent story,

• Advertisement

No no. I think you were right the first time,

/And they called her: Lieutenant Boobs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Im sure thats why they changed format. Getting rid of the need to wrap everything up in 42 minutes really frees you up to show the story you wanna show without having to worry about hashing together a beginning middle and end.

I understand your point, too many SG1 eps were tidied up in the last 7 minutes after the final ad break, but this show doesnt solve that problem, its just sticking padding around it to stretch it to 2+ episodes. I thought there was only about 10 minutes of actual content in this episode, and 35 minutes of character building. Would have much prefered if that ratio was the other way around, especially in this early stage of the show.

I gave this episode 3/5. (Other than the shower scene,) I have to reason or want to rewatch this episode ever.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That charging plate does look like it's going to be relevant in regard to the charging of the ship for some reason. I know you can't throw the ship up on the table to charge it, but they've obviously shown that the ancients had recharge facilities.

Do you think it will be direct radiation, light energy, heat, kinetic, hell even gravitational forces that will charge the ship? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I thought it was a very solid episode, im glad i was right about the ship pre-dating gene tech.

Im liking how its focusing on little things that makes there survival more realistic.

Also i dont think the ship is heading to the star on accident and like already said its gonna recharge there some how. It probably has had to do this many times before because no power supply is gonna last a million years.

Cant wait untill next weeks episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Im loving all the episode names

spoilers?

01x03 Air (3)
    01x04 Darkness
    01x05 Light
    01x06 Water
    01x07 Eartha
    01x08 Time
    01x09 Life

enjoyed the episode although i am craving a alien encounter!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭CylonYoda

I liked the episode but it feels less like stargate and more like batlestar galactia. I really hope they start using the gate, SG1 got bad towards the end becuase they stopped using the gate and lost it's feel. The shaky camera looking at the ship circling the planet made it look right from BSG. Theres a difference from paying homage to a show and just ripping it off, it's not there yet but it's not far away.

I liked Carlyle's acting in it but I reckon it'll calm down as the series goes on, to make it feel more like Stargate. Lt. Boobs was nice to, how could you miss them! jeez.
    Nice clearing some stuff up like the recharcing and cloths issue. Although I hope it doesnt turn into a case where they can use Carters famous USB cable to hook up to any tech.

Anyone else still a bit confused about the small craft that flew off at the end of the last episode? Thought they'd address that, maybe there building up to something, not bad that they'd have it planned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Best episode so far.

I'm loving the slower, more character driven nature SGU.

After Einstein and Hawkings lovechild Sam Carter, and the bumbling Rodney, it was brilliant to make Destiny's resident genius someone we can't really like yet and don't entirely trust, and can't always rely on to come up with some inspired longshot solution to the generic Stargate problem of the week...that just...might...work...

Correct me if I'm wrong, this week the adopted crew did very little other than watch the ship do its own thing. Yet we had an engaging, dark, subtly humourous look at their collective gradual mental, emotional and physical decline. My hope for this series is that Cooper & Wright continue the obvious maturing in their writing, so that when the characters eventaully do get thrown into some real conflict down the line, either internal or external, we will have invested the time to really empathise with their plight. So we should have the best developed most believable characters Stargate has ever offered and therefore the best action episodes as well :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Great ep again.

Lt. Boobs was truely awesome.

When I saw they were in a solar system from the start It gave me the idea that the sun would be involved in recharging the ship. So the course correction was no real surprise for me.

Wasn't mad about the earth scene with Young and his wife.

I really liked that the sun burn was still on their faces from last week.

There was plenty of humour too, like the girl talking to the camera about how she hate earth quakes because she cut her feet on broken glass...

Or the guys "dating video"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Volvagia wrote: »
    I really liked that the sun burn was still on their faces from last week.

It was mentioned in the episode that only 1 day had passed since they where on the planet. So yeah I'm liking the fact they are keeping the continuity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

They own the rightas

the own the rights to sg1 and sga - ~Also the way they film the stones working its the actor playing the role of another charactor. This means any SGU actor can say "hi i am rodey - i know how to fix this" or "i am carter the solution is simple" type endings. They dont need to hire the actors they are portraying because they own the rights to their names so i hope they dont start doing that to solve problems

Advertisement