Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBS with French

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

BUMP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ps make sure you like french if you want to do this course. already theres been 3 or 4 people who have dropped the french and are doing just plain business because they didnt even like french
    I had an exam on a full HL paper yesterday and I think I did ok. Wont know the result until next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

Swizz wrote: »
    Can you go to the States?
    Mallox wrote: »

Youve to do it by yourself?!

no we are all put into groups of two or three and have 2 weeks rto prepare the debate. Im starting mine this week!! :eek:
    ryanf1 wrote: »
    I had an exam on a full HL paper yesterday and I think I did ok. Wont know the result until next week.

really we didnt start doing exam papers till january/ february .. and if you say you did ok then you sound like your very good at french fair play :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

no we are all put into groups of two or three and have 2 weeks rto prepare the debate. Im starting mine this week!! :eek:

Week 12 presentation FTW! :D

What do yeve to do it on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Can you go to the States?

Youve to do it by yourself?!
    Erasmus is only with universities in Europe but I don't see why you would want to go to america when your studying French...

Trust me the Universities in Europe are amazing, and as stereotypical as this may sound at the end of the day the drinking age in america is 21 even if there are ways around it.

really we didnt start doing exam papers till january/ february .. and if you say you did ok then you sound like your very good at french fair play :D
    Got a B3! We started papers in 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 galwayu

Lads I love the sound of this business and french but ive a problem.I am in lc and doing honours but i am s**** at french!!What do ye think???Can you do it with pass french???

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

galwayu wrote: »
    Lads I love the sound of this business and french but ive a problem.I am in lc and doing honours but i am s**** at french!!What do ye think???Can you do it with pass french???

No but you can do it with a C3 in Honours (as long as that hasn't changed).

When I arrived in UL I had very basic Honours French (C1)...... you will be fine.... so long as you put in a little effort when you get here.

Definately take the opportunity to do Erasmus and Co-Op if your French is a bit weak..... you will find that by the time of your exams you will be fine.

Sound thanks for the very helpful advice.Do you mind me asking what made you do business?What business subjects did you do for the lc?What is this course really like difficulty wise and how time consuming is it??

• Advertisement

Sound thanks for the very helpful advice.Do you mind me asking what made you do business?What business subjects did you do for the lc?What is this course really like difficulty wise and how time consuming is it??
    well i knew i wanted to do french but didn want to be an interpreter .. i want to work in frnace after i finish so a business degree will hopefully help me out there ... i did economics for leaving cert but you dont need sny business subjects at all because they start from the start with everyone .. Honestly i dont find it hard at all ... but i am only 1st year .. accounting is difficult but i dont do a tap for it so ive only myslef to blame like .. very little hours .. you mite have 15 - 18 hours a week max and thats if you attend everything which i dont haha oops .. i would reccomend this course alot but thats cos i love it :D

Well since I last posted i've been to a good few open days and im still quite confused but UL is definately up there.
    The BComm with french in UCD looked great but I find the size of the campus a bit off putting.
    TCD was out pretty much straight away, not for me at all.
    I went to the WIT one yesterday and the course is quite similar to the one in UL but as DJCR said its not the best. But I do find myself conidering it partly because I live about 3 miles from it. Its just so hard to decide
    :)

But I do find myself conidering it partly because I live about 3 miles from it.

To be honest I think if I lived at home during college I would have gone off of my nut!!!

Of course these are different times with the recession and all so it may not be possible!!!

Hey Guys, I just put this course no1 on my cao form! so see you around I guess :)

Hey Guys, I just put this course no1 on my cao form! so see you around I guess :)
    excellent.. see you next year so :D

Sorry haven't been on for a while.

Before my degree I had done

1) French to LC
    2) Business to LC
    3) Accounting to JC

It was good enough, I graduated with honours but I did put in alot of work... spent a year in Paris and pretty much worked my ass off in 4th year!!

Kinda reget that I didn't work my ass off in 2nd and 3rd year as well but I still did well out of it!

The course has changed and been updated you will need to hit the ground running ie. from 2nd year!!

1st year is really good for those that didn't do the core subjects at 2nd level.

ie. you will have the opportunity to catch up on accounting and economics.. all the other stuff will be new to you!

If I got BBS with French, and did a few weeks of french and didnt like it could I drop it?

If I got BBS with French, and did a few weeks of french and didnt like it could I drop it?

Ya most do actually, we started off with something like 33 in the french class and at the end of first year we have only 22 or something. You can drop the french to do straight business.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ya most do actually, we started off with something like 33 in the french class and at the end of first year we have only 22 or something. You can drop the french to do straight business.

The above is correct, the numbers dropped like flies during the first 3-4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Only if you have enough points to do business studies.
    Like say BBS and french is 400 and you got 400, but uf business studies was 420 then you can't change over.

Im in BBS and german and we started with like 11 and now were down to 9 or so

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote: »
    Only if you have enough points to do business studies.
    Like say BBS and french is 400 and you got 400, but uf business studies was 420 then you can't change over.

Im in BBS and german and we started with like 11 and now were down to 9 or so

Nah.... once your in you can do an Internal Transfer..... the points don't matter once your in as techically your only changing 1 module as opposed to your course!

Also we had people who chose French (as their elective module) in First Year doing the Business course and then they wanted to keep it on so they transfered to our course.

It works both ways.... but my class finished with about 30 people after originally starting with about 80.

Cheers guys.

Hey guys,
    Got 395 and a B1 in french so i'll be seeing you all soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

What about the hours?
    I presume you do a maths module too?

Hi Ryan,

There is limited maths in Business and any you will do is pretty basic. Business do a statistic module in 3rd year and most complain about it, but to be honest it is pretty handy. Do a bit of study for the tutorials and you will be fine.

Did you do honours maths for leaving? In 1st year once you can differentiate and integrate, happy days because the maths are no harder than simple versions of them!

As for the microeconomics module, if you did economics for the leaving it is plain sailing (don't take all this for granted as just turning up for the exam, you still need to do some work!!!). If not you will make friends and someone will have studied it and will be able to explain it. Plus you have tutorials and they are approachable if you don't understand. Just drop them an e-mail and they usually respond.

Does anybody know what date does this course start??:confused:

ulinbac wrote: »
    Did you do honours maths for leaving? In 1st year once you can differentiate and integrate, happy days because the maths are no harder than simple versions of them!

As for the microeconomics module, if you did economics for the leaving it is plain sailing (don't take all this for granted as just turning up for the exam, you still need to do some work!!!). If not you will make friends and someone will have studied it and will be able to explain it. Plus you have tutorials and they are approachable if you don't understand. Just drop them an e-mail and they usually respond.

I didnt do Honours maths or Economics for the Leaving:eek: But I got a B in pass maths.Anyone I know who has done the course says that part of first year is at the same level as the leaving so it wont matter if you have never studied a subject.

Advertisement