Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New BMW Pricing Released

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

copacetic wrote: »
    yep, 17s are standard on the SE. 34 for a manual 1.8d is a good starting price, but would imagine 40k is a better price to compare against as that would be either a 2.0d or a 1.8d specd decently with the comfort and design packages and metallic. Thats a good spec though.

Yea, fair enough. Still though, i think that anyone in the market for a bmw around that price range and would previously have gone for a 3 series, will now have a decent choice between a 3 and an X1, can see many in that scenario choosing an X1

The 18d isnt 1.8 though, the 18d and 20d are both the same 2.0 block, just different turbo and tuning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Any idea what the 5 started from before the reductions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

New model 5 series due out early next year.

How long will the prices stay this low and will BMW be brave and have the new model priced the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The 5 used to start at about 46k€ OTR afaik, at 41k€, theyve probably allowed it to rise by about 2k when the new model comes next year. Cant wait to see what the new 5 will be like for emissioms. The new E-class is very good so the new 5 will have to be at least as good

Bit of a false economy then to buy now and then new model comes in you automatically lose money.

Bad for the 09 5 series buyers as well. Another huge amount off the value of your car. Ouch:eek:

• Advertisement

So between this price drop and the new model 5 Series you have just burned about €8000-9000 off your trade in.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

So between this price drop and the new model 5 Series you have just burned about €8000-9000 off your trade in.:eek:

What you can do is hope that every manufacturer reduces their prices by the same margin otherwise when you go to trade in your BMW for a BMW the value will still be the same because yours is worth €8000 less but the new one is also worth €8000 less.

The same argument was applied if VRT was removed on threads many moons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Exactly Berty. But it could be better if you were going to trade up BMW for BMW as I don't think your second hand car would drop by as much. If you current car for eg was worth 30k and you intend buying a new one worth 60k. If the new car was now say 50k your current car isn't necessarily immediately going to drop to 20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

I bought in the North this year and may change again in the new year
    I still think that theree are better deals up there considering the exchange rate.
    You'd get a 6 month old 320d MSport for around €31/32K on the road still much better value than a deal you'd get down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Good to see the price reductions, but why is the motorist constantly shafted in this country?

Firstly, as I have pointed out in previous threads, it has been far cheaper to buy a new 320d/520d in the North for some time, yet BMW are only reducing their prices now.

Secondly, prices have to drop a lot further if they're going to be genuinely competitive with other countries. For example, the M3 in the States costs about $60k. According to XE, that price converts to about €40k Euro. Why can't we get these sort of prices here?

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2010/m/m3coupe/default.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭sk8board

Surely the big winner (again) is the 520d SE for €40k before any negotiation, and perhaps into the late €30's before you leave the forecourt. A colleague with the same model from '07 who spend €57k.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Zonda999 wrote: »
    The 5 used to start at about 46k€ OTR afaik,

46k was with the new vrt system. They used to be up near 60k not so long ago.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Good to see the price reductions, but why is the motorist constantly shafted in this country?

Firstly, as I have pointed out in previous threads, it has been far cheaper to buy a new 320d/520d in the North for some time, yet BMW are only reducing their prices now.

Secondly, prices have to drop a lot further if they're going to be genuinely competitive with other countries. For example, the M3 in the States costs about $60k. According to XE, that price converts to about €40k Euro. Why can't we get these sort of prices here?

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2010/m/m3coupe/default.aspx
    Because people voted for Bertie & FF and ended up with VRT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

copacetic wrote: »
    The X1 is a good deal imo, they are really nice in the flesh, it's just a bigish hatchback, think of it like that and it's competitive.

It's not a biggish hatchback, it's a cramped hatchback on stilts. The 1 series has always been small inside compared to a "normal" fwd hatch like the Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

sk8board wrote: »
    Surely the big winner (again) is the 520d SE for €40k before any negotiation, and perhaps into the late €30's before you leave the forecourt. A colleague with the same model from '07 who spend €57k.

I think they were forced to drop prices as the new mercedes e=class was very competitively priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Even cheaper, I just couldn't live with a current 5 Series I think - it really has love or hate em looks! :p

A nice A6 though....

• Subscribers Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Zube wrote: »
    It's not a biggish hatchback, it's a cramped hatchback on stilts. The 1 series has always been small inside compared to a "normal" fwd hatch like the Golf.

The X1 is a fair bit bigger than the 1 series. It's not the 1 series on stilts. afaik it's based on the 3 series platform.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I think they were forced to drop prices as the new mercedes e=class was very competitively priced.

When I was pricing last November, a 320D, to get to the same spec as the A6 SE was €46K+. A 520D was way, way more again.

depending on how you spec if of course; but you could drive a new 520d SE for 39,995 if the list is now not much long with 40k.

irrespective of a new model in the pipeline, thats great value for a big lump of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

depending on how you spec if of course; but you could drive a new 520d SE for 39,995 if the list is now not much long with 40k.

irrespective of a new model in the pipeline, thats great value for a big lump of car.

Stick the Business Edition on top of that for €1,500 and you have a very well specced car - Dakota Leather, Business Nav and integrated Bluetooth.

If only we hadn't had one collected on Thursday evening at the retail cost of €48,525 (now listed at €41,890) :mad:

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    Stick the Business Edition on top of that for €1,500 and you have a very well specced car - Dakota Leather, Business Nav and integrated Bluetooth.

If only we hadn't had one collected on Thursday evening at the retail cost of €48,525 (now listed at €41,890) :mad:

seems bad form that they didn't tell you, but mapybe it was already well ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

seems bad form that they didn't tell you, but mapybe it was already well ordered

Spoke to my dealer yesterday and they didn't know until it went up on the website! Still no options pricing released.

It's bad enough for us as it's probably another car we will lose money on when it comes back - but I'd be majorly p1ssed if I were the driver, paying BIK on €8,000 more than someone who gets one 3 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Spoke to my dealer yesterday and they didn't know until it went up on the website! Still no options pricing released.

It's bad enough for us as it's probably another car we will lose money on when it comes back - but I'd be majorly p1ssed if I were the driver, paying BIK on €8,000 more than someone who gets one 3 months later.

You'd be v disappointed if you were the punter on that
    There would be some serious making up to do to keep the punter sweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I hears ya. We put one out two weeks ago. Pays your money and takes your chances I suppose.

It's bad news for us, and whoever else has recently bought one, but its great news for the larger amount of people who havent bought one yet.

We had this at the start of the year too, where all of the distributors reduced prices to get stock moving. Will it happen again next year? Is all this uncertainty around pricing making people hold off on buying a car?

I know we've got one customer who wants to buy a new E Class, but wont put pen to paper because he thinks it will go down again in the next few months. This has been going on since before the new model was even released. How many more are there like him holding off and hoping there's more price reductions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Drummerboy, I think that's what really defines a recession. The negative effects just caused by all the people out of work, it's the people that have the money and still won't spend due to the uncertainty that really wreaks havoc.

Back on topic, has anyone noticed drops in 2nd hand prices on carzone etc since this has been announced? I'm still seeing plenty of used 09's at what are now above list prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Options pricing now on the configurator on bmw.ie. Seems to be a case of "as you were..." 320D ED pricing still not up.

Advertisement