Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Hijacking HTTP requests for non-existing domains?

Options
  • 15-10-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭

Not a big issue,

I use firefox and sometimes just type the name of the site i want straight into the address bar rather then the full web address ie. Just boards instead of boards.ie. 9/10 this will bring me straight to a site, if not it would open google and search it.

Recently its started to use search.upc.ie Is this a change by upc? something to do with thier dns maybe or is it a firefox setting somewhere?

Not sure if this is really broadband related but one of them nice mods can move it if needed.

stok.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Have UPC broadband myself and haven't seen them making any changes to the browser configurations - I would regard it as very cheeky of them if they did. Did you install any UPC related software - maybe something for dialup configuration?

Anyway, to change it back type 'about:config' without the quotes, in your URL bar in Firefox and then type 'keyword' in the filter box. You will see a value for keyword URL which is probably now set to UPC - you can change that back to the default Google URL which is:

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Thanks for that but no change there its still set to google :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I've noticed the same thing myself. I'm using Safari, and have the exact same problem. It has only started in the last week or so, so I think it must be a change on NTL's side.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There is the possibility of UPC hijacking failed DNS lookups and redirecting them to their search engine, a fairly dodgy practice that's been condemned everywhere else.

http://slashdot.org/story/09/08/05/1926257/Comcast-the-Latest-ISP-To-Try-DNS-Hijacking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Spear wrote: »
    There is the possibility of UPC hijacking failed DNS lookups and redirecting them to their search engine, a fairly dodgy practice that's been condemned everywhere else.

http://slashdot.org/story/09/08/05/1926257/Comcast-the-Latest-ISP-To-Try-DNS-Hijacking

If no settings in the browser have changed, then this is really the only way it can be happening. I wouldn't have an issue with it, if the re-direct goes to a functioning search, and it all works. If, like in the case of Comcast in the link, the site is ad-laden, and possibly trying to get all sorts of spyware/adware installed, then I'd be very unhappy.

If it's a problem, change your DNS to OpenDNS, then you won't have UPC (or any ISP) hijacking failed lookups.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Here's a bit about the new service. Link
    About the navigation service

You reached our navigation service page because the web address you asked for could not be found. Instead of showing an error page, we have provided relevant search results which we hope improve your experience. This navigation service helps you find what you are looking for more effectively and eliminate dead-end “no such name” error pages you can encounter as you surf the web. This service is designed to make your web surfing experience more productive.

We would like to emphasis that this service is not Spyware or Malware and no software was installed on your computer for this service to work. This service is only displayed after you have tried to navigate to a non-existing web address.

The navigation service is equal to services that are offered by other internet providers. The displayed results are only based on the website address you entered. Your internet behaviour will not be monitored in any way by Chorus ntl. We do not collect or store personal data and do not build user profiles.

This navigation service is in a trial phase. During this trial the service is only available for a selection of our broadband subscribers. Based on the experience and results of the test phase we will re-evaluate the service.

How does it work?

When a user types a request into the browser for a non-existing website or mistypes an internet address, we will show our navigation service page. The objective of this service is to present a helpful page with relevant information that assists you in reaching your intended website.

Does this service track my internet usage?

No. The navigation service only shows a useful search results page instead of a cryptic error message when a non-existing website address is entered. The displayed search results are only based on the entered (non-existing) website address. Chorus ntl will not collect or store any personal data and do not build user profiles.

When is the navigation service displayed?

The software is only designed to display a search results page when a non-existent website address has been entered. The service does not interfere with anti-spam and anti-virus software or applications like e-mail.

What do I do if this service is interfering with other software?

If this service is interfering with other software on your computer that relies on receiving DNS-responses, please follow these instructions to turn the service off. At any point in time, you can turn the service back on by following these instructions. (Instructions are included below)

Will I be charged for this service?

No, this is a free service. Our goal is to improve your web surfing experience by preventing the display of error pages as a result of non existing website addresses. Instead we provide a helpful navigation service.

What determines the displayed search results of this service?

The results served are a combination of sponsored links and ‘natural’ search results, based on the entered (non-existing) website address or what you were looking for – just the same as if you used any search engine.

Does this service put any spyware or adware on my computer?

Absolutely not. The enhanced navigation service is designed to replace errors at our network level and is not loaded directly onto your PC.

Can I opt-out of the service?

Yes. While we have strived to improve your web surfing experience, should you wish to opt-out of this service, please follow the directions provided here. At any point in time, you can turn the service back on by following these instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Had the same problem. Pissed me off to be honest. See the Link on instructions on how remove it. Cheeky little buggers.:D

Well at least they are letting people not use the service. As soon as I get home I'll be changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CaptSolo

Has UPC started to practice DNS hijacking?

A part of HTTP requests for domains that do not exist seem to be going to a (terribly designed) UPC landing page as can be seen in this CURL log: http://gist.github.com/211317

They have a page telling about this new "service": http://service.upc.ie/service/?cid=123&aid=143

The page says you have the option of turning the service off. But it means the hassle of changing DNS servers you use to one of two servers they indicate. Plus the instructions are in a PDF with screenshots showing how to change DNS address on Windows.

At least they should have provided a one click link "Click this to opt out"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

jor el wrote: »
    I wouldn't have an issue with it, if the re-direct goes to a functioning search, and it all works.

The webpage itself is ok, but the problem is that it prevents the browser from completing the url for you. For example as Stokolan said, typing "boards" used to bring up boards.ie, now it brings up the search page.
    I tried to follow the instructions to disable it, but unfortunately the document they provided only shows how to disable it for a wired connection (on a Mac). I don't suppose anyone could tell me how to disable it for a wireless connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Yep, too many ISPs like doing this. Use a different DNS server or OpenDNS if it bothers you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Has UPC started to practice DNS hijacking?

Prity common allright. Chang DNS as suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Noticed this during the week and was not impressed. Can they be that desperate for advertising revnue from sponsored links?
    The results served are a combination of sponsored links and ‘natural’ search results, based on the entered (non-existing) website address or what you were looking for –- just the same as if you used any search engine.

fjon wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone could tell me how to disable it for a wireless connection?

It depends on your setup. I use my own router rather the the free upc one and had to go into it to change to the newer dns settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CaptSolo

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Prity common allright. Chang DNS as suggested.

Making all inconvenienced users change their DNS setting is not something they should do. But, ok, that fixes the immediate problem.

A larger problem is that they are violating the net neutrality (which is not protected by law, so legally they are probably free to do it) and interfering with normal functioning of the Web and DNS.

If this becomes a common practice, they might think of another cool "service" such as injecting ads into the Web content that you are watching. Technically it is just one step further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

OpenDNS also hijacks your results in this manner, try using Level3's DNS servers instead.. 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3

I've never even noticed this, I've been running my own DNS server since the BT days, as I got sick of BT's flakeyness and the Caching problems OpenDNS caused.

Have a look here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055711272

UPC provide an alternet DNS to use to opt out of thir search function

Actually just noticed the link to the option to turn it off in the first post.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

OpenDNS also hijacks your results in this manner, try using Level3's DNS servers instead.. 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3

Those servers should not be relied upon, they're not maintained as full production servers, and are only maintained as a matter of courtesy for any legacy users of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

I noticed this hijacking. Not impressed UPC.
    I'll be looking at the link to get out of this one!
    It's annoyed me further as my net has been 500mbps and below this week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Noticed it once, not too bothered, the bit that gets me is I've not been notified of the opt-out part (which is to switch dns to different UPC servers), all the same, just looks like a redirect to an infospace search on the failed url.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Yarnhall wrote: »
    Noticed it once, not too bothered, the bit that gets me is I've not been notified of the opt-out part (which is to switch dns to different UPC servers), all the same, just looks like a redirect to an infospace search on the failed url.
    If you click the "about this page" on the search page it would give you all the info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've had problems connecting to application servers in work over a VPN Client for days. I just found out that this was the cause.

UPC's DNS servers were hijacking the connection instead of letting my VPN client's specified DNS servers resolve the server names.

My company's helpdesk confirms it has almost a dozen employees with the same problem. I've just given them the solution (they were soooo happy)....switch to the old 89.101.160.8 & 89.101.160.9 dns servers and everything is fine again.
    Really really annoying UPC. Yet another reason to drop them as a provider.

Let them know what you think by sending an email to Online.sales@upc.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I've had problems connecting to application servers in work over a VPN Client for days. I just found out that this was the cause.

UPC's DNS servers were hijacking the connection instead of letting my VPN client's specified DNS servers resolve the server names.

My company's helpdesk confirms it has almost a dozen employees with the same problem. I've just given them the solution (they were soooo happy)....switch to the old 89.101.160.8 & 89.101.160.9 dns servers and everything is fine again.
    Really really annoying UPC. Yet another reason to drop them as a provider.

Let them know what you think by sending an email to Online.sales@upc.ie.

Your companies helpdesk couldnt figure that out????? :eek::eek:
    Man, its a link on a page with full colour instrcutions lol!
    Time to get a new I.T. department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

89.101.160.8 & 89.101.160.9 dns servers and everything is fine again.
    I'm finding these particular DNS servers fail intermittently leading to excessive timeouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 QTour

Hi there,

I had the same problems with UPC and unlike some of the posters here I am really pissed at the cheek of UPC. This is something that they are doing in many of countries in which they provide services.

I complained to them and got an email back over a week later from some semi-illiterate customer service employee.

Anyway, Google have made a public facing DNS available. the IPs are:
    Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8
    Alternate DNS: 8.8.4.4

At least I can opt in to this rather than having it done for me. This is only the beginning with what UPC are doing in regards to link provision and advertising.

Another reason to change ISP.

Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I sent an email to UPC customer care about this. Ignored.
    Sent another one. Ignored.

Forwarded the mail to their Tech support email address. Ignored...no mail there has ever been answered. I'm sure it's unmonitored and has 6 million emails in the inbox by now.

Tried filling in their online submission form.. It errored out.

Sent an email to their sales email address. Got a reply (surprise surprise). They said they would forward the complaint to tech support (since when do tech support handle complaints about policy??)

Tech support called. I explained the problem to them at which point the lady explained that she wasn't technical and would have to get someone technical to call me back. Non techies working in tech support...what next?...quadriplegics hired as mechanics?

Tech support person #2 called. She had the technical ability of an 8 year old, which in this day and age isn't actually too bad. And so, she kinda understood what DNS hijacking was and that it was causing issues with 3rd party applications over VPN connections. She wanted to send an engineer out because every UPC policy begins with "Step 1. Send an engineer...they make the customer happy". After a 30 minute argument, I finally gave up on the 'This doesn't need an engineer' argument and politely declined futher tech support. I was however told the complaint would be forwarded 'to the right department'.

And now...nothing. Not a peep back from them. Over 2 hours of my life wasted.

I'm currently had about 80 calls with UPC helpdesk in the last 12-18 months, and have only once got satisfactory support.

Considering I have setup commercial helpdesks for 3 customers, I can say with some authority that UPC customer service is bordering on insane or evil. I'm not sure which.

(My landlord pays for my broadband, hence I can't change provider. And I do like the 20mb connection!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

QTour wrote: »
    Anyway, Google have made a public facing DNS available. the IPs are:
    Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8
    Alternate DNS: 8.8.4.4

At least I can opt in to this rather than having it done for me. This is only the beginning with what UPC are doing in regards to link provision and advertising.

Another reason to change ISP.

Rant over!
    .. and I'm sure Google are doing this for purely altruistic reasons as well (not) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 iolo

I use a greasemonkey script to redirect it to google. It wont fix VPN problems or anything but it keeps firefox away from the page.

http://iolopearse.com/?cat=23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

Cool, thanks for that link to the change DNS page.
    I cant stand anything intruding on my pc use.

Advertisement