Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Infrastructure Off-Topic Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

How come traffic gets affected by them releasing water from the Inniscarra Dam? I'm not familiar with the area/Cork at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The released water has to travel down the Lee Valley and I'd imagine that that would flood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

N17 road was closed off from Galway to Tuam.

Traffic delays for 2hrs at Gort today. Good job I was driving yesterday on the N18/N17 instead of today!

Were any motorways affected by the flooding?

As for the Ireland match well the goal was just pure instinct by Henry to handle, I dont think there will be a replay of the match. Lets get real too, it was a night where the team gave a big performance, I cant see it being reproduced for every world cup game. Although Andrews had a stunning game no harm to give it back to the critics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Also someone at work pointed out today that if an Irish player had scored that way causing us to win the match that we wouldnt be saying anything right now.

tech2 wrote: »
    N17 road was closed off from Galway to Tuam.

Traffic delays for 2hrs at Gort today. Good job I was driving yesterday on the N18/N17 instead of today!

Were any motorways affected by the flooding?
    Last weekend, one of the drains on the M6 Athlone - Ballinasloe Westbound side was overflowing into the HS. With all the rain we have had since it's possible that there could now be water on the running lanes. Not too major though. Anyone used this stretch today and able to confirm/deny?
    tech2 wrote: »
    As for the Ireland match well the goal was just pure instinct by Henry to handle, I dont think there will be a replay of the match. Lets get real too, it was a night where the team gave a big performance, I cant see it being reproduced for every world cup game. Although Andrews had a stunning game no harm to give it back to the critics.

I don't think it was instinct at all, unless it's described as the instinct to cheat. In my opinion footballers instinctively don't handle the ball. If that was anywhere else on the pitch (for example over by the sideline) and he couldn't reach the ball with his foot/leg, he would have just let the ball fly past him and out for a throw. It was a crowded penalty area, France were desperate and so he decided to chance his luck and got away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The M8 was holding up very well last night.

How are the other M6 sections, and how is the M9 holding up? Also, are drainage works complete on the M18 G-C?

I'd imagine the M7 C-N scheme is like a Flanders trench right now, and I would hope that the attenuation ponds on the M7/M8 are doing their jobs quite well. As for the bottomless bog on the M7 N-L scheme, one wonders what's happening there!

Furet wrote: »
    Also, are drainage works complete on the M18 G-C?

The fields and general area alongside the scheme were ok yesterday but that was before the vast amount of rainfall occurred.

There was some draining ongoing below the shanaglish overbridge when I passed, I will post the pics up of that at the wknd on the M18 thread.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm in a hotel that feels like its about to fall down in the wind - but in Brighton not in Ireland. Seeing as its on the seafront and my car is parked on ground level I hope we don't get that rain coming over!

Think tomorrow is supposed to be better weather wise but Saturday and Sunday will be more heavy rain and high winds (not pleasant weather for flying if you're coming home at the weekend MYOB).

There's a petition page on Facebook calling for a replay of the France-Ireland match that has got over 152,000 signatures in 24 hours!

It's good that there is such widespread outrage about this, not just in Ireland, but all over the world. I don't think the game will get replayed but at least this aweful case of cheating is being well highlighted.

• Advertisement

KevR wrote: »
    Furet & BluntGuy (or anyone else in Cork/The South), what's the flooding situation like down there?

Lashing. The city centre isn't flooded but parts of the N22 are, and West Cork has been very badly affected. I just came out of the Gate Cinema after watching 2012 and couldn't believe the rain that was falling. Just after hearing a very large fleet of emergency vehicle belt up the Model Farm Road in the direction of Ballincollig...wouldn't be surprised if someone's been in a terrible accident. You'd be mad to drive unless absolutely essential tonight...

Rain has eased off here. Galway City escaped any bad flooding, the County is a disaster though.Athenry is totally cut-off by road and the rail line to Ballinasloe is closed too. The only way to access Athenry at the moment is by train from Galway. The N6 at Craughwell is completely shut - the river burst it's banks and the bridge has been damaged.The River Suck has also burst it's banks meaning there are problems on the N6 at Ballinasloe as well.I think there are problems in Gort too which is affecting the N18.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Carlow Town- flooded, about the worst i've seen it too!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm going to have to make a mad cross-UK dash to get a 2:40 am ferry from Holyhead on Sunday due to widespread cancellations, etc. Oh joys.

Rail and Sail - have done that to London a couple of times, torture!

Best of luck anyway, hope the weather doesn't effect the ferry!!

It car and sail, meaning I've nobody but myself to blame if I miss it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Cork Updates: Model Farm Road area and Cork County Hall area are a complete mess. UCC I've heard is a disaster. N22, don't even attempt it. City centre is holding up fairly well.

Tipp Updates: Clonmel - a disaster. Cahir - was fine Tipp - wasn't *too* bad.

M8 is fine. R639 is fine. N24 is fine.

EDIT: Cork buses may not run if flooding is as bad as it was yesterday. They certainly weren't planning to run 'em today.

Just saw UCC on the news and it is a mess!

Galway City has escaped pretty well compared to the County. We have a weir that can control the levels of the Corrib pretty well. Apparently they kept the river levels deliberately low for the past couple of weeks in anticipation of this bad weather. I think parts of Menlo could be a flood risk tonight because of the strong winds and heavy rain promised - the weir is releasing water at the maximum possible rate. Also, a bit of a risk for the Spanish Arch/Claddagh area of the City Centre tonight - the weir is dumping out 15.6 million litres per minute and the high tide + wind could cause a surge up the Corrib.

UCC is closed until 30 November apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

UCC is closed until 30 November apparently.
    is Cork badly flooded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

KevR wrote: »
    Just saw UCC on the news and it is a mess!

Galway City has escaped pretty well compared to the County. We have a weir that can control the levels of the Corrib pretty well. Apparently they kept the river levels deliberately low for the past couple of weeks in anticipation of this bad weather. I think parts of Menlo could be a flood risk tonight because of the strong winds and heavy rain promised - the weir is releasing water at the maximum possible rate. Also, a bit of a risk for the Spanish Arch/Claddagh area of the City Centre tonight - the weir is dumping out 15.6 million litres per minute and the high tide + wind could cause a surge up the Corrib.

Generally the weir is fairly open during the winter you have to recall that Lough Corrib drains about 1,000 square miles (including Lough Mask connected by underground rivers), there is a drop of about 20feet (6 metres) within Galway City of course the area around Spanish Arch (Flood street) would probably be the area that you might see some flooding especially with a high tide.

Has Limerick been affected?

Limerick hasn't been affected yet.

As Clareglaway and Gort were flooded I took the alternative N4/N61/N62/N52 route today. Some minor flooding in small sections including a stop/go traffic system in operation outside Roscommon due to one side of the road flooded, took this while I was stuck in traffic:

DSC02846.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

mysterious wrote: »
    is Cork badly flooded?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1120/flooding_gallery.html

very badly

Our planet is changing rapidly!

People can't pretend anymore. It's not just the weather, siesimic activity has reached peak levels. Hurricanes and Tsnumais are getting more violent.

Like every planet in our solar system, is experiencing great changes.

So people need to be more aware whats going on outside our planet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

I have seen on the news that many public sector workers from the Republic of Ireland (or the proper/good part of Ireland as is the view here) have taken their strike "day of action" against their government (26 counties) to head up to what is a "foreign country" - Northern Ireland (United Kingdom) - to give their wages, paid for by the (good) Irish tax payer including foreigners like myself, to John Bull's imperial corporations of doom such as Lord Sainsbury's finest, based in Her Majesty's grand old frontier city of Newry in the shire of Down.:)

This would on the surface show up the me-feiner, line your own nest and f**k everyone else (including your fellow countrymen) attitude that prevails in many parts modern Ireland. And by Ireland I mean the 26 counties, as Newry isn't in Ireland, which I reiterate has been made clear by a lot of posters in here. Heaven forbid that it would be, what would we tell our friends from London? It's so embarassing :D

I wonder what the teenagers of Newry who work for €5.35/hr make of the actions of these oppressed people, all of whom earn AT LEAST 50% more that them, and upon whom this shopping convoy was enforced?:eek: As like them I am one of that f**king lot up there, could some of these posters explain to me why it is unacceptable to spend this same tax money (which was spent today) to improve infrastructure between Donegal and Derry and the rest of the island?:confused: Last time I checked Donegal was in the good part of Ireland, and dear oh dear but Londonderry is a hub in the regional development plan developed by YOUR government, elected by your good selves, which covers airports/hospital services for the people of Donegal:confused::confused:

The words a la carte nationalism spring to mind, but then again despite my family having been on this island for centuries and I am, of course, not Irish.:rolleyes: I shamefully don't spend my time going on about my overpriced houses or reminding myself about that lot up there. Gawd how did they ever get like that? Jaysus nothing to do with us, now that we're rich. Or wait we where...

Just away to wash my hands with Pontius Pilate soap here. Parctising being proper irish here. Off the mainland you see this weekend to cheer on the Red Devils. Gonna bring a tricolour with O'Shea's name on it. Will get the old euro converted in to sterling, and hand it over to another English Corporation. Hope the Glazers and Bertie will appreciate it. Jaysus you can't beat bring in money out of the country.

Phew.......What time's the strike planned next week by the way? Just need to ring Lord Sainsbury and get the shelves stocked. Bejaysus, those little nordie kids will be worked to the bone this month :D

I'm tempted to move the above over to the Ranting and Raving forum, nordydan! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

I'm tempted to move the above over to the Ranting and Raving forum, nordydan! ;)

Think of it as therapy for the main forum ;)

Quite an amazing photograph of the M1 motorway on the front of today's Indo: http://www.independent.ie//independent.ie/editorial/todaysPaper/todayspaper20091125.pdf

• Advertisement

That's amazing! Anyone know where this photo was taken (i.e - how close to Newry) and was there any sort of an incident which made the jam worse? I struggle to comprehend how traffic could be that bad with people going shopping without there being an incident.

Advertisement