Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

The Infrastructure Off-Topic Thread!

  • #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 Amtmann


    Taking a cue from several other fora, we thought it mightn't be a bad idea to start an off-topic thread here.

    Talk about TV, cars, wimmin, the weather, drink - whatever takes your fancy basically (within the bounds of, er, decency of course)!

    The moderation won't be as strict here btw. So - let the off-topic chatting commence!
    Tagged:


«13456710

Comments



  • Well I suppose no infrastructure will be built without bank support . Here is how banks appraise their investments

    http://www.ft.com/cms/4fe40d1a-07b4-11dd-a922-0000779fd2ac.html?_i_referralObject=10664514&fromSearch=n




  • Since this is all off topic i'd like to know what everyone on here drives.

    I drive a Mitsubishi Carisma 1.6L GLX but I also drive my girlfriends Subaru Impreza 1.6 GL quite alot.

    attachment.php?attachmentid=93332&d=1255644712

    So lads & ladys what to you enjoy Ireland's new Motorways in???




  • Talking about women, ick...

    Car wise: personal is a Fiat Panda 100HP, main driver is a work Citroen C4 though. Its the one that's beaten every last mile of motorway and HQDC in the country since April!




  • Well, I went around in an outwardly grand but inwardly rotten VW Golf Mark 3 for the past two years until she gave up the ghost outside Littleton last summer. I'd been taking photos of the M8 when she started whistling like an old kettle. I was towed ignominiously back to Cashel and the car was scrapped a few weeks ago. :(




  • I drive a Fiat Punto...

    *sigh*

    If you're over six foot, aren't paper thin or plan to carry more than half a person... I don't recommend this car. :(

    It's cheap and nippy, but that's about it.


  • Advertisement


  • I always imagined you going around in a big SUV for some reason! I've always been way more interested in roads than cars anyway - quite the opposite to the lads over in Motors!




  • Furet wrote: »
    I always imagined you going around in a big SUV for some reason! I've always been way more interested in roads than cars anyway - quite the opposite to the lads over in Motors!

    Hah! If only I had an SUV, there's definitely some people I'd like to plough down (my Fiat would probably explode upon impact after crashing into a paper bag, so I can't use that)... err... but that's probably best kept to myself. :D

    I'm very much interested in motors, more-so roads though. I don't buy an SUV because I don't need one. Now if I was a mother with one child, with a school 1 km down the road that could easily be walked to, THEN I'd meet the criteria!




  • I used to have a fiat punto, loved it, then I drove it out to the backs of beyond in Co. Wexford to look at some old manor house for some college trip. It wouldn’t start so I looked under the hood and the cogs that hold the timing belt on had fallen off, that’s right they had fallen off!, I had to get it towed about 15km to the nearest village (and nearest mechanic) who I got to replace the engine (because I loved it so much) which died again after only lasting 2 months.

    Fiat = Fix It Again Tomorrow, never again I told myself. :)

    No offence MYOB I hear the fiat panda thought is the exception. My girlfriend uncle is a mechanic in Cork and he swears by them.




  • Basically any post-03 design Fiat is grand, the problem is that the ones most people here have dealt with - Mk1, 2 and 2b Puntos - come from a 1993 core design! The Panda, 500, new Punto, new Bravo are all fine cars. The van based ones should be fine but I'm not volunteering to be seen dead driving a Qubo!




  • MYOB, have you ever driven through a place called Hacketstown in County Carlow? This is a place many people have never heard of, but in my view it makes Urlingford seem like Killarney.


  • Advertisement


  • Isn't Hacketstown meant to be Ireland's ugliest town?




  • My votes would go to

    1. Castledermot, a clear winner in my opinion. Run down, derelict old buildings mixed with empty new units. Yuck.


    2. Clonroche, Co. Wexford (N30), it has improved a little though in the past few years.




  • I currently drive a Hi-Lux (weekdays) and an Alfa Spider (weekends).
    That is how I roll.




  • Talking about cars I drive a Mazda 3 saloon 06, does the job for those tipp back roads around the Nenagh-Limerick scheme! I still have the carzone photo before I bought it below:

    gem.jpg




  • Bet you all remember the Kildare bottleneck! :p

    Does anyone remember the shell house just before the daggered train bridge 2km from Kildare?? I only noticed this house because of always been stuck in tailbacks at Kildare.




  • mysterious wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the shell house just before the daggered train bridge 2km from Kildare?? I only noticed this house because of always been stuck in tailbacks at Kildare.

    Yup! Guesthouse?




  • Furet wrote: »
    Yup! Guesthouse?

    Not sure, but its all shells on it. :)

    I actually can't believe the amount of traffic that used to split the town in half. 21,000 vehicles using the town pre bypass. Not to mention that few thousands avoiding it by taking the Curragh or Athy roads!


    The longest tailback in Kildare and Monasterevin, was the new years exodus back to Dublin in 2002/03 I think?!. Tailbacks strectched from Kildare to Ballybrittas going NB.:eek:


    But thats the only recollection to my knowledge of the longest tailback ever in this country.




  • What are posters interests outside of infrastructure and wimmin?




  • I like early modern history, red wine, mountains, forests and Dexter. I found boards.ie a few years ago when I wanted some advise about car trouble and secondary teaching. I admit that I'm addicted. I need a daily fix. This tends to annoy those around me, but they're coping. ;)

    I'm learning German at the moment (modern and a 16th-century dialect), and will probably be moving to Nuremburg for a few months early next year.




  • Alfa Romeo Brera. Love it but cry when I think of the depreciation :D


  • Advertisement


  • Nice interests Furet although I've never heard of Dexter!

    I have a keen interest in the property market: the boom and bust, I like to watch the odd match of rugby, look at ancient Ireland,also the tourist hot spots, going on holdays and driving!

    I found boards.ie when I was in college looking up the broadband forum and found community and transport last year. I always had an interest in roads and the development of them. The first dual carriageway I remember being on was the N20 coming into Cork city which I though was amazing at the time! :pac:

    I'm glad the previous posts function has been disabled on the website as it gives me relief that my work mates will be taking less digs at me visiting this website. My missus and family have come to accept that this is my hobby! :eek:




  • tech2 wrote: »
    Nice interests Furet although I've never heard of Dexter!

    I have a keen interest in the property market: the boom and bust, I like to watch the odd match of rugby, look at ancient Ireland,also the tourist hot spots, going on holdays and driving!

    I found boards.ie when I was in college looking up the broadband forum and found community and transport last year. I always had an interest in roads and the development of them. The first dual carriageway I remember being on was the N20 coming into Cork city which I though was amazing at the time! :pac:

    I'm glad the previous posts function has been disabled on the website as it gives me relief that my work mates will be taking less digs at me visiting this website. My missus and family have come to accept that this is my hobby! :eek:

    If you don't accept yourself, how can anyone?

    My motto is not to give a flying f%^& what people think. It's good to venture your own hobbie and make your dreams come true!

    If someone is going to take a dig at your for that. It means they are unhappy or have nothing better to do with their own time.

    My hobbies is seeking truth and removing bull**** from the arena around me.




  • mysterious wrote: »
    If you don't accept yourself, how can anyone?

    My motto is not to give a flying f%^& what people think. It's good to venture your own hobbie and make your dreams come true!

    If someone is going to take a dig at your for that. It means they are unhappy or have nothing better to do with their own time.

    There only having a laugh. I don't take them seriously. Work would be rather dull if there was no p**s taking.




  • mysterious wrote: »
    My hobbies is seeking truth and removing bull**** from the arena around me.

    Do you live near a mart? ;)




  • Furet wrote: »
    Do you live near a mart? ;)


    Actually you could say so.

    In my view. i view 95% of the public to be sheep, cattle. Thank god for the 5% who are not because I would lose my mind.:D




  • tech2 wrote: »
    There only having a laugh. I don't take them seriously. Work would be rather dull if there was no p**s taking.


    I know, but ther are people out there that would goad you for doing something productive with your time:)


    Like I do road side planting in my local area. People would be looking at me, like I'm from Uranus. I do a lot of creative and different things. I love people who are not afraid to be themselves.




  • mysterious wrote: »
    Actually you could say so.

    In my view. i view 95% of the public to be sheep, cattle. Thank god for the 5% who are not because I would lose my mind.:D

    Is that the reason why you have been banned off this website so much? :p

    Oh heres another topic: Ryanair- Yay or Nay?




  • tech2 wrote: »
    Is that the reason why you have been banned off this website so much? :p

    Yes because I don't get banned on sites where I know people are not as conditioned. :P

    follow da leada, hes right just don't trust yourself or your fellow man, follow da leada leada lead. He be the shepard and we be the sheep. If you challenge the shepard of this site your the black sheep.

    I'm casted down from the heavens as satan.

    I was decieved all the time.:D




  • Speaking on chicks, are there any birds on this site? I cannot remember any. I think I remember seeing one on SABRE


  • Advertisement


  • Calina and Taconnol are women, but they're not regulars (yet!).


Advertisement