Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cool cafe's in limerick?

Options
  • 12-10-2009 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there,
    love going to cafe's, having lunch and just chilling out, can anyone recommend any in limerick city, good reasonable food, cool music etc? I come to limerick regularly but cant seem to find any, maybe i'm just not looking in the right places?!
    look forward to getting some suggestions, cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Cafe on the Row, Bedford Row.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

Sage Cafe on Catherine Street

http://www.thesagecafe.com/

Very nice food, bustling cafe at lunch time. No music but great food. If its sunny and warm enough today sit outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

The best cafe in Limerick is sadly, long gone. Java's on Catherine Street was a great cafe. service was sh1te but the atmosphere was second to none and the food was great. now the best is prob cafe on the row, which is not a great cafe by any stretch of the imagination.

Edit: it's more of a small restaurant than a cafe, but give the wild onion in High Street a go, very very busy at lunch time you might need to book a table, it's american food so huge portions for what you're paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yeah I miss Javas. Day or night it was always a cool little spot to drop in, whether it was to eat and chat with friends, or to have a bite whilst you sketched or read.

Music was good there and the food was yummy. Would love to see something as good as it back in Limerick someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

foinse wrote: »
    The best cafe in Limerick is sadly, long gone. Java's on Catherine Street was a great cafe. service was sh1te but the atmosphere was second to none and the food was great. now the best is prob cafe on the row, which is not a great cafe by any stretch of the imagination.

Edit: it's more of a small restaurant than a cafe, but give the wild onion in High Street a go, very very busy at lunch time you might need to book a table, it's american food so huge portions for what you're paying.

I only ate there the once but I can't say I was overly impressed with the portion I got. I got a cajun chicken thing, and it arrived it was just a breast of chicken on a slice of toast and a small ramakin of sauce.
    Think it cost €8 or something.

I've eaten in Cafe Solo on Patrick St a couple of times and it was good but very busy, so probably not the chilled out vibe the op is looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Sevi

Cheers for the replies. Yeah, Java's is definately a sad loss to the city, loved it there, laid back atmoshere and a mixture of different people...
    Yeah, I know sage, but personally find it has no real buzz about it....
    I'd love to open a new one....!

Sevi wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies. Yeah, Java's is definately a sad loss to the city, loved it there, laid back atmoshere and a mixture of different people...

It's a hard thing to do, as a business owner what would you prefer, a load of smelly arts studenty types hanging about all day over a single cup of coffee or a brisk lunch trade that just want to get in and out asap?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sevi

Why does it have to be either/or? I know of plenty of cafe's where there are a mixture of customers, some on lunch breaks, some just sociallising... There is nothing worse than someone pouncing to clear your plate barely a second after your last bite...
    I cannot stand canteen style places. My cafe would be fairly intimate, bright decor, candles on tables, good music, very clean, great food; lots of salads (not just a poor excuse for a caesar), lots of homemade breads, soups (not just potato and leek or veg every day), gorgeous cakes (shrivelled muffins may not apply), lots of coffees and teas and soft drinks (not just coke or 7up).
    What sort of places do you 'go in for?'
    Are art students typically smelly?
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Sage is pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You open a new Javas along with opening a new Quins, and you have me as a customer. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Ah..yes. Quins!! Got kicked out of there a few times when I was a Lad.:D What is that bar across on the opposite side of the street from Aubars? They had a cafe type area out the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Isnt there not a new daytime sort of cafe at the very corner there by the river, at ruthland st, across the road from the hunt museum, and across the river from the locke.
    I havent been in there but its supposed to be very nice and chilled, I think its opening while that block isnt being used for now. I could be wrong though if someone wants to clarify.
    Check it OP, the kind of vibe your describing seems to come from there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

wylo wrote: »
    Isnt there not a new daytime sort of cafe at the very corner there by the river, at ruthland st, across the road from the hunt museum, and across the river from the locke.
    I havent been in there but its supposed to be very nice and chilled, I think its opening while that block isnt being used for now. I could be wrong though if someone wants to clarify.
    Check it OP, the kind of vibe your describing seems to come from there.

I'm fairly sure the Art College were involved in setting that up. Think they only have it for 2 or 3 months, so it could be gone again pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

You should go for it, never a better time to open a business!!
    Huge mark ups on food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

An File wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the Art College were involved in setting that up. Think they only have it for 2 or 3 months, so it could be gone again pretty soon.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's called "Cafe Solo". It's nothing to do with the Arts college. It's run by a couple. A friend of mine used to work there. I was never there myself but it's supposed to be nice.

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's called "Cafe Solo". It's nothing to do with the Arts college. It's run by a couple. A friend of mine used to work there. I was never there myself but it's supposed to be nice.

No, your getting confused. Cafe Solo is a few doors up from it. The other posters are talking about the old sarsfield bar (Spirit Store) which has recently been temporarily reopened and hosting stuff llike poetry and small plays etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    No, your getting confused. Cafe Solo is a few doors up from it. The other posters are talking about the old sarsfield bar (Spirit Store) which has recently been temporarily reopened and hosting stuff llike poetry and small plays etc...

Ah right. I know the bar. I saw them renovating it but I didn't know it was a cafe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They are quite near each other, to be fair.

I'd be a fan of Café on the Row, myself and Limerick_Dude have had some great chats there. It is lacking in atmospheric music though.

I was only ever in Java's once before it closed (I'm too young :o ) but I remember liking it a lot. Reminds me a bit of the Wicked Chicken, now that I think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Javas was great, the service was woeful though! But it was grand for a coffee, especially upstairs....pity it went by the wayside...
    the few cafes bunched together on thomas street does create a small atmosphere alright, though lots of BT workers posing on their breaks there.

Remember when they were doing roadworks on lower thomas street, and it was dug up , and you could see all the old cellars etc. Would have been cool to leave those on display and put some seats or something down in there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Javas was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

service was amazing:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

a bit OT: is that office/business building on the former Java site still empty?

well it looks empty anyway

Latest news I've heard mentioned that it could be taken over as a medical centre. I imagine it would be similar to the one down by Gerald Griffin Street.

An File wrote: »
    Latest news I've heard mentioned that it could be taken over as a medical centre. I imagine it would be similar to the one down by Gerald Griffin Street.

i know this is still off track but the mad center in gerald griffin dtreet is ridiculous. i mean like why is there 2 pharmacies????

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Wild Onion food is good for food. No music however. Service can be a bit erm.....in your face and overpowering however.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

More of a deli - but the best in Limerick. La Cucina in Castletroy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

More of a deli - but the best in Limerick. La Cucina in Castletroy

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Avoid the Wild Onion like the plague unless you want to feel like you're eating in some randomers sweaty, grubby kitchen who also happens to be an obnoxious, in yer face American and if you don't particularly value your mental well-being. Basically I'd eat steamed toenails before going back there.

Howwwwever Delish on Thomas St is a bijou little gem of a place, very yummy pancakes, great coffee and tasty club sandwiches. Have often sat outside under the canopy on a sunny day, sipping coffee and scoffing cake.

Greene's on the corner of William St has fabulous food and great coffee, a lovely outdoor seating area and comfy interior. It does lend a different atmosphere though mainly due to the number of OAP's that make up the majority of it's clientele.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

God I love the Wild Onion the food and the general banter from the owners adds to the attraction of the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Avoid the Wild Onion like the plague unless you want to feel like you're eating in some randomers sweaty, grubby kitchen who also happens to be an obnoxious, in yer face American and if you don't particularly value your mental well-being. Basically I'd eat steamed toenails before going back there.
    lol. ur loss, snob. The place is a gem. and ruth, when ur nice and chatty to her will ALWAYS take care of you, and hold u a table, no matter how busy.

Advertisement