Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hate the word "bud" or "cuz" here in Limerick?

Options
  • 11-10-2009 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I got called posh for saying its sounds stupid and even worst when in a put on accent.I hate lads trying to act hard or scummy by going "Well bud"..just say well:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's a Ranting & Raving forum for this kinda thing, bud ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

An File wrote: »
    There's a Ranting & Raving forum for this kinda thing, bud ;)

Thanks An File cuz!!;)

jackncoke wrote: »

jackncoke i was in a bad mood thats so fuuny:)

Even where i work in a pub part time the odd time,if the owner or barmen hear a lad say bud or cuz or boss they deffo think twice about serving him and will say sorry theres no bud,cuz or boss here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

jackncoke i was in a bad mood thats so fuuny:)

aww,nice to cheer ya up vamp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

doesnt bother me tbh. Buddy seems to be a bigger one now. Ill take any of them over being called 'kid' by some 9 year old youngfella looking for a fag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Scumbags use the term 'cuz' between themselves because they are in actual fact cousins. Its the inbreeding you see. Its not just a co-incidence that they all resemble each other.

Cuz, bud, pal, you really couldn't get anything scummier could you?! Get called it a lot in my job but i just ignore it. A workmate of mine used to say "i'm not your cuz" back to them but that would just lead to confrontation so best off just to leave the scummers say what they want...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

My mates are my "buds" or "pals".
    My brother does, indeed, get answered "Hey bro" when he rings.
    I hang around a fair bit with a few of my cousins, and they often get greeted with "Hi, cuz".

Anyone else using any of the above will get a curious look from me, since they're implying familiarity or kinship that doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Chill out cuz!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What's worse is:

alllllll rrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight de kid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Berty wrote: »
    What's worse is:

alllllll rrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight de kid!

Its "Aboy Da KIDDDDDDD!!!":D

Don't mind any of those terms to be honest. Each city gets its own slang, and lets be honest, you'd have to be a sad ****er to get offended by someone calling you "cuz" or "bud".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

"babes" and "hun" are bad too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

another pointless topic.

Stab*City wrote: »
    another pointless thread.

its a discussion forum?do you not think it sounds scummy people saying that

DarkJager wrote: »
    Its "Aboy Da KIDDDDDDD!!!":D

Don't mind any of those terms to be honest. Each city gets its own slang, and lets be honest, you'd have to be a sad ****er to get offended by someone calling you "cuz" or "bud".

Im not a sad fcuker im sorry just find it scummy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

do you not think it sounds scummy people saying that

That questions not really worth a thought to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

"Want salt n' vingar on dat luuhhhvve?"

Wahs will be wahs. For me, "cuz" makes me think of the McCarthy-Dundon's youtube video. Aren't the other shower supposed to have made a rap in response? It's all going a bit West Side Story.:)

Im not a sad fcuker im sorry just find it scummy

I didn't call you a sad ****er, I'm referring to these people who have to reply "I'm not your cuz" when somebody says it as a greeting or a laugh. And seriously, whats so scummy about it? Last I checked bud was a word that means friend, and cuz is obviously "cousin" but used in the Limerick sense, its also slang for "friend". What's so wrong with that?

That questions not really worth a thought to be honest.

Why not?so if someone calls ye any of them names what is your opinion of it

• Advertisement

Well when your hear scobes roaring it ud see what i mean.When you have scobes coming up to you saying it,it makes a big impression on you.Would you ask in a shop or pub for something and add in bud or cuz?

That questions not really worth a thought to be honest.[/quot

Why stab city?kinda gives out a bad vibe the name,im sure you a nice guy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Bud and cuz are not used solely by scumbags. It's a Limerick colloquialism that I'm not ashamed to use with people that are not necessarily my buddies or my cousins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

topper75 wrote: »
    "Want salt n' vingar on dat luuhhhvve?"

Wahs will be wahs. For me, "cuz" makes me think of the McCarthy-Dundon's youtube video. Aren't the other shower supposed to have made a rap in response? It's all going a bit West Side Story.:)

"d'you want sauce on your burrrrger?"

TBH i am far more offended when someone calls me a baldy prick than when someone addresses me as cuz or bud. In fact depending on the tone of the person addressing me, I can find it quite charming. Lets face it, there are far worse names you can be called.

Well when your hear scobes roaring it ud see what i mean.When you have scobes coming up to you saying it,it makes a big impression on you.Would you ask in a shop or pub for something and add in bud or cuz?

I've heard "scobes" saying it yes, but then you'd have to ask whether its just when the "Limerick" accent says it that it sounds scummy to you. Not everyone with a Limerick accent is a scumbag.

And I'd occasionally say "Cheers bud" in either a shop or a pub. As I said, I can't see anything at all wrong with it.

Why stab city?kinda gives out a bad vibe the name,im sure you a nice guy:)

If Dublin media use it without a second thought, why not acceptable for a username?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭daca88

working in a shop i get called all sorts....bud, buddy, pal, lad, cuz. i'll admit i find it quite annoying but i'll also admit i also do use it to others too. i get called worse so it's a welcome change i suppose:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

An evening queueing in the Chicken Hut will bring it all back. :D

Superchip anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bazz26 wrote: »
    An evening queueing in the Chicken Hut will bring it all back. :D

Superchip anyone?

"gravy chip there kiidddddd"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

krudler wrote: »
    "gravy chip there kiidddddd"

Yeah but they make the gravy from minced scumbag ;)

I call my cousins "CUZ", nobody else!

Advertisement