Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infrastructure in the new Programme for Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

churchview wrote: »
    In my case, I have to travel from Galway to Dublin and back every weekend to attend to a chronically sick relative. I need my car (or a car) in Galway at weekends. The public transport system in Galway is at best inadequate and will take years if not decades to reach the levels aspired to by the Greens. A bus journey to Galway (and in Galway) take ridiculously long because the Galway Bypass has been opposed at every opportunity by the Greens. New road schemes are to be "reviewed" as part of the PFG and the emphasis is to be on Public Transport.

In fairness, the GoBus service takes 2:45 minutes from Galway to Dublin. When the M6 is complete it will be shorter (let's say 2:30). Outskirts of Galway (Doughiska) to outskirts of Dublin (M50) will take 2 hours. I don't think that is an unreasonable length of time to spend in Public Transport.

Then, what's needed is Bus Park & Rides on the outskirts of towns/cities - say at Doughiska/Rathmorissey and the M50. You then have the issue of going where you want to go.

Again, in fairness, Bus Lanes have been provided in Galway - in Claregalway and in Galway City itself, and for the few weeks of the year that it is in operation, the Park & Ride at Ballybrit is a success. Galway needs more Bus Lanes, and more frequent services.

The Outer Bypass will not solve Galway's (at-times) chronic traffic situation. It will help to alleviate it, but it will not solve it. More Public Transport i.e Buses and yes, cycling, will.

We have to get out of our cars. Specially for work commutes where you have people doing the same journey everyday in their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

serfboard,

You're missing the point of my question.

You're citing aspirational "policies" of the Greens i.e. bus lanes, bicycles etc.

Funding for buses has been cut.

Gobus are unlikely to carry a bike for me and while the PFG wants to have future trains carry bikes, no timeframe is put on this.

I need a car in Galway to transport my relative.

So, I'm not interest in future plans.

What I am stating is that Green policies are now costing me a lot (devalued car) and will cost me considerably more soon (carbon tax) and the bypass would save me at least an hour in dense traffic emitting carbon as I would not be stuck in gridlock getting to and from the west of the city.

Park and Rides, bike lanes etc. are all fine aspirations for travel within a city but they ignore the reality that most travel between cities is now done by road.

Just to add - I'm not talking about work commutes. I take public transport in Dublin, Luas and Bus when possible. I'm talking about inter urban travel which doesn't fit the mindset of Green urban politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Just to add - I'm not talking about work commutes. I take public transport in Dublin, Luas and Bus when possible. I'm talking about inter urban travel which doesn't fit the mindset of Green urban politics.

Fair enough. There will always be occasions where we need to travel by car. However, although you use Public Transport, you are doubtless aware that there are a lot of people who could travel by bus who don't. It's not the people who must travel by car that are blocking up our towns and cities - it's the people who could use a public transport alternative and who don't.

Of course, the Public Transport alternatives do not exist in anything like the numbers necessary at present. This is what the Greens should have pushed for in the PFG, if they are to give any meaning to what they are supposed to be about.

Instead, they pushed for no third-level fees. Which there's nothing "Green" about at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

serfboard wrote: »
    Instead, they pushed for no third-level fees. Which there's nothing "Green" about at all.

While I found their infrastructure proposals to be vague and uninspired in general, I have to give them kudos for this (and a few other areas).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

What NOW has the Green Party done for me and the tens of thousands in a similar situation to me who have to travel throughout Ireland other than within Dublin?

Oh I'm a firm believer in more carrot than stick. And I oppose strong policies that compel individuals to leave their cars until there is a viable alternative. eg the congestion charge proposed for Dublin city centre.

A lot of the issues you point out area direct result of failed policy in the past - lack of decent public transport in Galway itself and then also lack of decent public transport links between Galway and Dublin. These are not issues that can be resolved in two years.

I'd also like to point out that transport is not one of the Green ministeries, although of course planning and energy are connected. Anyway, I'll take them both separately and then road travel as well:

1) Galway public transport: There are plans underway to improve Galway's PT system, including recent €2m funding for a bus priority scheme. A lot of this is to do with Galway City Council and I'm not sure what else they have planned.

2) Intercity public transport: God, what can I say? Irish Rail is awful with irregular services and high prices (not to mention awful customer service)! From what I can tell, the unions are a large part of the problem and they really need to be broken for things to start moving forward. At peak the services to/from Galway are hourly but at off-peak they are every two hours.

So the investment by Irish Rail in upgrading its carriages is all well and good but IMO the problem is deeper than that. I also think we need to get more freight onto rail as it would help subsidise passenger rail trips.

3) Roads:Work on the M6 continues with the Athlone to Ballinasloe section opening in July on time and under budget. There are local residents that are holding up the work (http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/cappataggle-residents-block-m6-work-/). Can you refer to where the Green Party opposed the M6? I'm a Green and believe a proper motorway network is vital!

There is not going to be a perfect solution that will please everyone all of the time. I'm sorry the new VRT has hit you as it sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place. As I say, personally I wouldn't go for hitting motorists with any sort of additional tax until viable alternatives are put in place.

That said, we need to get people out of their cars - we have the highest per capita car usage in the world...!

• Advertisement

Serfboard,

In complete agreement, but maybe with a slightly different emphasis.

The way I see it, not only did they not push for public transport alternatives, but in the full knowledge that public transport is inadequate, they still punish the car owner, even though in many cases there is no option but to use a car. In effect, it's all stick and no carrot.

The whole third level fees situation is crazy. The universities are in financial crisis and now the PFG has condemned them to financial ruin. All that I've heard proposed by some Green spokeman is that we in Ireland should look at the way Universities are funded in the US - are they aware of the size of University fees in the US :rolleyes:

Still interested to hear if taconnol feels that the Greens have a viable inter urban transport policy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Hi churchview, I'd agree with Bluntguy and say that their infrastructure proposals were too vague.

And I'd like to add that I am really interested in taking your views on board because as a Green member I can go in and try to persuade people :D

taconnol,

Your last reply pipped mine at the post, hence I hadn't seen it when I said I still would like to hear from you.

1. One of the central problems with Galway's Public transport is the nature of the "City". You'll never be able to build a comprehensive system of buslanes in what was built as a small, largely medieaval town, bounded by water to a large extent. Therefore, the bypass is needed to take some traffic out of the city and to allow for the development of bus lanes by replacing urban car routes with bus routes. Unfortunately, the former Galway Green Councillor opposed the bypass at every opportunity aided by Minister Gormley who interfered some months ago, and this project must now be more likely to suffer severe delay as it hasn't progressed.

2. Full agreement on Irish Rail and on the need to rein in the Unions. Anyone remember Brendan Ogle? The service really is appaling and a lot of this seems to come down to staff who couldn't care less.

3. I don't think the Greens opposed the M6. They have opposed the N6 Galway bypass. And they are reviewing roads (94 schemes if I recollect correctly) which haven't gone ahead yet. Will the Atlantic Corridor be sacrificed in favour of Thomas the Tank Engine aka the Western Rail Corridor?

Glad to see your sensible attitude of incentivising people to change rather than punishing them - carrot and stick. I have to say that this is not the general impression the Greens as a party seem to convey (to me at least).

Thanks for your reponse.

1. Unfortunately, the former Galway Green Councillor opposed the bypass at every opportunity aided by Minister Gormley who interfered some months ago, and this project must now be more likely to suffer severe delay as it hasn't progressed.

Ah OK, I wasn't aware of this.
    2. Full agreement on Irish Rail and on the need to rein in the Unions. Anyone remember Brendan Ogle? The service really is appaling and a lot of this seems to come down to staff who couldn't care less.
    I was on to them a few weeks ago needing to change a ticket and they couldn't make any changes to existing tickets so I had to buy a new ticket and they refunded me the old ticket. And this was just to change seats...! When I complained about the general system, the CS rep said she agreed but that it's about to get worse because from now on they won't accept any changes to existing tickets at all! What a feckin joke.

Will the Atlantic Corridor be sacrificed in favour of Thomas the Tank Engine aka the Western Rail Corridor?
    As far as I can tell, several projects for the Atlantic Corridor are nearing completion, some have gone to tender and others are still in the planning phase.
    Glad to see your sensible attitude of incentivising people to change rather than punishing them - carrot and stick. I have to say that this is not the general impression the Greens as a party seem to convey (to me at least).
    I really don't think sustainable transport (and buildings etc) should be about suffering. I've lived in other major cities than Dublin and it's just been a no-brainer for me to never buy a car and just jump on the nearest bus/train/tram (that brings me to within a few hundred metres of my destination at a low ticket price). I want sustainable living to be a no-brainer.

taconnol wrote: »

I really don't think sustainable transport (and buildings etc) should be about suffering. I've lived in other major cities than Dublin and it's just been a no-brainer for me to never buy a car and just jump on the nearest bus/train/tram (that brings me to within a few hundred metres of my destination at a low ticket price). I want sustainable living to be a no-brainer.

What you're saying there is a sensible and viable approach to implementing Green policies. The problem is that the Green Party in Ireland doesn't seem to share your opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Therefore, the bypass is needed to take some traffic out of the city and to allow for the development of bus lanes by replacing urban car routes with bus routes. Unfortunately, the former Galway Green Councillor opposed the bypass at every opportunity aided by Minister Gormley who interfered some months ago, and this project must now be more likely to suffer severe delay as it hasn't progressed.

That is it in a nutshell ..bar a quibble. The former Green councillor and Gormley were joined by not a few Labour Party nutjobs too while Michael D kept his gob shut rather than show any leadership :(

The sequence in Galway should be

1. Build bypass
    2. THEN drastically restrict traffic in and near the CBD/NUIG/UCHG and prioritise buses on the medieval streetscape with some allowance for deliveries/taxis and with private cars bottom of the gene pool .
    3. Increase the density of office / employment in the CBD while bringing in a moratorium on new office/bulky retail/warehouse on the outskirts and even flattening some of them that have been empty for years.
    4. Green belt everywhere around the Bypass that is green . Building must go up in Galway not out .

That sequence would be sensible and trending to the sustainable but as Chrchview said the current situation is lunacy , guaranteed gridlock with no end in sight .

Adding this risible 'gléas' proposal from Brian Guckian into the Galway mix shows how completely intellectually bankrupts these green/labour loonys are. A concept like the 'gléas may work if you upgrade an established public transport corridor .

That would be 10-20 years down the line after 1 2 3 and 4 above have been implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

As far as I can tell, several projects for the Atlantic Corridor are nearing completion, some have gone to tender and others are still in the planning phase.

The M18/17 and the M20 are still to be built. As far as I know, the Greens oppose these two roads and would like to see them killed off. Majority opinion here seems to be that both are vital to transport and connectivity in Ireland, which is a view I share.

Were the greens a national party and not largely a small cabal inside the M50 they would have a specific policy objective of creating a vibrant corridor ( at a minimum) between Galway and Cork .

That would be a start .

There is of course no such policy .....which vacumn partly goes to explaining their overweening lack of intellectual rigour :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That is it in a nutshell ..bar a quibble. The former Green councillor and Gormley were joined by not a few Labour Party nutjobs too while Michael D kept his gob shut rather than show any leadership :(

The sequence in Galway should be

1. Build bypass
    2. THEN drastically restrict traffic in and near the CBD/NUIG/UCHG and prioritise buses on the medieval streetscape with some allowance for deliveries/taxis and with private cars bottom of the gene pool .
    3. Increase the density of office / employment in the CBD while bringing in a moratorium on new office/bulky retail/warehouse on the outskirts and even flattening some of them that have been empty for years.
    4. Green belt everywhere around the Bypass that is green . Building must go up in Galway not out .

That sequence would be sensible and trending to the sustainable but as Chrchview said the current situation is lunacy , guaranteed gridlock with no end in sight .

Adding this risible 'gléas' proposal from Brian Guckian into the Galway mix shows how completely intellectually bankrupts these green/labour loonys are. A concept like the 'gléas may work if you upgrade an established public transport corridor .

That would be 10-20 years down the line after 1 2 3 and 4 above have been implemented.

You're dead right. Credit where credit's due :D The Labour Party were a disgrace on this issue as well and thankfully as a result have found themselves in the political wilderness in Galway.

Completely agree with your sequence of needed developments....see what I did there? I used the word development in a positive way:)

Greens, Govt. etc. need to start listening to people with ideas such as yours (developers if you will) who are "joined up" in that they recognise that private and public transport must be integrated. It's shouldn't be public, to the exclusion of private. Hopefully tacannol and his attitude isn't an isolated one in the Green Party. We need more like him who are genuinely willing to debate rather than preach.

Hopefully tacannol and his attitude isn't an isolated one in the Green Party. We need more like him who are genuinely willing to debate rather than preach.
    Ahem, "her" ;)

Oops, my trying to modify some of your views might be acceptable, but modifying your sex is a bit over the top :D Sorry 'bout that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

12 May 09: Directly elected Mayor for Dublin: Mayor will be charged with delivering reliable, integrated and cost effective transport for Dublin; new role will transform public’s connection with local government

When you say "Dublin" do you mean the Greater Dublin Area or the current Dublin City area?

What powers will the Mayor have? Will the Mayor replace the city manager?

One other point on the new PFG; it says there will be a 2:1 ratio in favour of public transport spending over road.
    Seeing as the current motorway projects are coming to an end and there aren't any major new projects on the horizon, won't the resulting reduction in road capital spending lead to a 2:1 ratio ? i.e. are the Greens taking credit for something that was going to happen anyway?

baalthor wrote: »
    When you say "Dublin" do you mean the Greater Dublin Area or the current Dublin City area?
    As I understand it, the Dublin Mayor will be Country Dublin so covering Dublin City, Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Fingal & South Dublin.
    What powers will the Mayor have? Will the Mayor replace the city manager?
    A list might help:
    -chair of the Dublin Transport Authority (National Transport Authority?)
    -set municipal charges like water & waste.
    -land-use planning
    -housing
    -congestion charges (fingers crossed this doesn't happen..)

Re: city managers, I'm guessing the mayor will work with the county councils to implement strategies. I suppose a large part of the role of the city managers is to implement council decisions - I'm guessing they will also now be implementing Mayor decisions, and giving more regional coherence to decisions taken.
    One other point on the new PFG; it says there will be a 2:1 ratio in favour of public transport spending over road.
    Seeing as the current motorway projects are coming to an end and there aren't any major new projects on the horizon, won't the resulting reduction in road capital spending lead to a 2:1 ratio ? i.e. are the Greens taking credit for something that was going to happen anyway?
    Well in the original Transport 21 plan, the bulk of the money was going to be spent on roads. In fairness, the quote from the PfG recognises that the emphasis in the past was on roads:
    Having successfully focused on the delivery of major roads infrastructure in Transport 21 over the past five years, the emphasis in new projects will shift significantly to public transport. Following the completion of payments for the major motorways programme in 2011, the ratio of expenditure on new Transport 21 projects between public transport and the national roads programme will be 2:1 in favour of public transport.

I don't have figures for how much has been spent on roads under Transport21 so far, their website is more than a little difficult to navigate. Would you have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

knipex, am genuinely interested in your figures for wind costs.

Give me a little time to dig them out and I will give you a comparison between wind power costs and a CGT plant built in Cork very recently.

The differences are astronomical.

Your cost of 2 million per MW off shore is low based on some checking out I did a few months back the figures were much higher. I seem to remember a project in the UK that was recently either approved or coming on line that was fully budgeted and was giving costs of over £3million sterling. Again i will try and dig it out.

Also, would you have any stats on the cost curves for renewables vs non renewables?

Unfortunately no. A number of studies do exist but the ones I have been able to access are so vastly different as to be useless. Even when you try and find out ho the curves were calculated the information available is at best "suspect" all studies seem to accept that the cost to generate windpower is higher but exactly how much higher is in question. They also accept that power generated using coal is also the cheapest. Most studies also exclude backup and storage costs for wind others also exclude carbon credit costs.

It constant amazes me (and its not directed at you personally but in general to the population at large) the number of people who assume that because of the lack of fuel costs that wind power is cheap. It also amazes me that these same people will refuse to accept that it is not in fact cheap while actively supporting the subsidies for wind power.

And what about cost of back up capacity vs storage costs? Is there not an issue with the inflexibility of baseload plants, resulting in great inefficiencies?

That is a huge subject worth of a thread of its own.

backup capacity has a number of issues.

It has a capital cost to build and put in place both financially and environmentally. (and this ties in with the second part of your question which we will address later.)

An actual running cost to generate electricity over and above the capacity payment cost.

The reversal of the carbon benefit which will take place by actually running the backup plant.

The storage option is actually better in theory as the cost is primarily in capital with minimal running costs.

It cancels out (virtually) the problem with carbon benefit reversal.

It allows wind to become a truly reliable and secure supply.

It also allows us to offer real energy exports as it could also be used as load balancer for the UK and Europe buying cheap off peak power from them and selling it back at a higher price during during peak times.

The issue with both is that they both add an additional layer of cost to an already expensive power source.

The issue with storage is how. I have looked at many different options and the only one that currently seems to work is pumped hydro. However pumped Hydro on the scale required is a relatively unknown issue (although there are some significant projects coming on stream in the US.)

For Ireland we do not really have the same natural geology to make a similar project possible. The one project hat does interest me is the Spirit of Ireland
    proposal for pumped salt water hydro.

I have many issues with their proposal (which got me interested in the whole renewable area in the first place) but most relate to their economic case and their plan to use wind power as the only supply without being able to demonstrate that their claimed figures stand up.

However the pumped storage option does have merit. Assuming their engineering stands up (which a number of bodies say it does) the pumped storage option looks interesting. A claimed costing of 800 million for a 200Gw hour storage is relatively cheap. However the environmental impact of an artificial salt water inland lake does concern me.

Regarding the base load issue. You are correct with most traditional generation capacity varying output has a detrimental impact on efficiencies and plant life. However CGT plants are much much better suited to the role and are what are currently being built. however they are more expensive to build and inefficient to operate when compared to traditional gas generation plant. This also has the impact of keeping our dependence on imported fuels and leaves us at the mercy of international gas prices affecting electricity costs.

Also, what would you see as an ideal share of renewables in the electricity mix? Given that wind will probably make up the majority but that newer more reliable technologies like tidal are coming down the line (eg openHydro).

That is loaded question. What we have at the moment is stretching our grid which was never designed to hook up a large number of small wind-farms. indeed a multi billion investment is planned to purely to allow more small scale expensive wind-farms to be added.

Without getting into the technicalities with today's grid and technology I would say that 8 to 10% is the point where it starts to have a detrimental affect on electricity costs and starting to cancel out their inherent benefits..

We are well past that point.

As more secure and reliable technologies come of age and are proven then that will change but the level will always depend on their cost v's alternative generation technologies and the level of grid infrastructure and investment required.

Without more info on the technologies and how they will mature it is impossible to give an answer.

Also, I have seen demand management meters that can almost entirely match demand to supply at a household level.

Interesting. Any more information ? Will they restrict availability of electricity to houses ? Will i be able to have a shower when I come home from work ?

And what impact would carbon tax have on levelling the cost field?

Based on any of the studies I have seen they will close the gap a bit (particularly with coal) but not enough to eliminate it.

Oh and to your earlier post. Compare efficiencies of electric cars V's modern diesel engines.............. Its a surprising result.

Add in the environmental impact of batteries and to be really Green you would run a mile from electric cars.

Regarding rapid charging. The technology already exists and is in use for may smaller scale items. It has a dramatic effect on efficiencies (touch any battery on rapid charge and it gets very very hot) and effects battery life.

Do not get me wrong. I love engineering and I love cars, the best method of propulsion for a car is electricity. No real engineer or petrol head will deny that. The issue is with current power storage technologies..

They are just not advanced enough. I would love to see all government's invest money in storage technologies. If you can nail that then all our problems are solved.

ps...

I don't drive a diesel because its better, its not, to any keen driver petrol engines are superior in almost every way to diesel. I chose to drive a diesel not for economic reasons but for environmental ones. I also looked at the prius but after 5 minutes research I ran away.

Jaysus knipex we may have gotten off on the wrong foot but full respect for that post!

I'll read it later this evening when I have time.

• Advertisement

knipex wrote: »
    Any more information ? Will they restrict availability of electricity to houses ? Will i be able to have a shower when I come home from work ?

The same person peddling these Demand Management Meters ( so called smart) will not tell you these four things ....because they are all true .

1. A scheme to roll out 25,000 of them in Ireland has been scaled back to between 2500 and 4000. There is NOT ENOUGH COMMUNICATIONS INFRASTRUCTURE IN IRELAND to cope with the larger number . Funnily enough the same arrogant muppet of a minister is responsible for the demand metering scheme and for the underlying causes of failure ...our sheer lack of modern reliable communications networks unlike other countries and most especially in rural areas where grids are weakest.

2. Demand management meters are designed to prevent grid cascades and disorderly blackouts . They do this by causing disorderly blackouts in the home so that the grid can stay up . In theory your blackout will be shorter than it would otherwise be BUT the tendency to protect the grid will probably mean that what may have been a brownout more often becomes a sizeable 2 hour blackout between 5pm and 7pm .

3. There is no ORDERLY mechanism for the meter to turn the shower off although it could come in 10 years ( and if you get a new shower) . demand management meters are either off or on. Technologies like homeplug could be used in high load devices like showers and cookers and heaters and vacumn cleaners and kettles first without taking th ewhole meter out . This will come in time.

4. The minister and the ESB expect us to PAY EXTRA for these trojan horses in our homes . Thank feck I have an old house with an inside meter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

BluntGuy wrote: »
    While I found their infrastructure proposals to be vague and uninspired in general, I have to give them kudos for this (and a few other areas).

I wouldn't be so positive about that if I were you:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/fergus-finlay/a-new-programme-for-government-who-do-they-think-theyre-kidding-103140.html

OK costings

Bord gais spent 400 million building a 440 Mw combined gas Turbine plant in Cork. (please remember CGT plants are relatively expensive to build)

To build a 440mw wind farm would cost as follows.

Assume a 25% load factor.

So for 440MW output would require 1760MW installed at a cost of 1.5 million per MW.

2.64 Billion. V's 440 million or a difference of 2.44 Billion Euros....

That would buy a hell of allot of gas.

At 30% load factor that drops to a difference of 1.8 billion still a hell of allot of gas.

Add the cost of funding that extra 2.44 Billion and the costs grow even higher.... In real terms it would be closer to 4 billion in difference for the capital costs for a small 440 Mw generating plant for a CGT plant V's wind.

As for off shore...

Even assuming 2 million per MW installed and 40% efficiency.

that's 1100Mw installed or again 2.2 billion so funnily enough it does scale up. ;)

The London Array project is approx 1,000MW installed and the quoted costs vary between (depending on source) 1.5 billion sterling and 2 billion sterling which would back your figure.

See wind power is not cheap....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

WS2 is no longer a standard - both the WS2 and 2+1 standards were replaced with the 2+2 spec. 2+1 is only to be used for retrofit purposes according to the current NRA DMRB document.

Regards!

That's probably going to change because of the revised Programme for Government which states that the 'appropriate road standards' in all of the 94 planned NRA schemes, especially 'design standards for national secondary routes' will be reviewed:
    We will review the completion dates and appropriate road standard of the remaining 94 road projects at the design stage or earlier stage of development in light of the economic circumstances, falling road usage and our climate change objectives. We will ensure new design standards for national secondary routes to take account of current economic and environmental circumstances.

They're going to review 'completion dates' too. It seems likely that a lot of these projects will not be completed within the Transport 21 time-frame.

Jaysus knipex we may have gotten off on the wrong foot but full respect for that post!

I'll read it later this evening when I have time.

No offence was meant.....

I have had this same discussion with a number of your party members and when I started quoting figures I was brushed me off as a quack without even debating the subject. It was taken as fact that wind power is cheap and any discussion to the contrary was not allowed . They just refused to listen to facts...

So I admit I frustrated and defencive on this topic.

knipex wrote: »
    The London Array project is approx 1,000MW installed and the quoted costs vary between (depending on source) 1.5 billion sterling and 2 billion sterling which would back your figure.

See wind power is not cheap....

I doubt if the Thames is 40% efficient , that figure likely only applies off the Atlantic coasts of Scotland and Ireland . It could be as low as 25% as against possibly 15% onshore in Kent and Essex.

Offshore will always be relatively better but it only makes sense in shallow waters right now and they are often on suboptimal coasts like east of Ireland and east of England .

The Norwegians , bless, have just launched a floating turbine into the Atlantic . Lets see how that goes :)

OK just on the costings...you can divide CGT costs into four sections:

1. Fuel
    2. Cost of CO2 (ETS)
    3. O&M
    4. Initial investment, ie capital costs.

Above, you have just talked about number 4, which clearly favours CGT. So let's take your figures and have a look at both for all four costs for both technologies:

WIND
    1. €0
    2. €0 or very little
    3. €1.2-1.5c/kwh
    4. €1,000/kw

CGT
    1. ?? Can't find a price as expressed in kw/h or €6.05/GJ
    2. €0.007c/kw (c. 360g/kw, and assuming say €20/tonne)
    4. €1,000/kw

Edit, hang on...trying to find exact figures and I know I have to factor in load factor! Is there a load factor for CGT or do they run 100% of the time?

I take it he checked .

Quite a good article on a lot of the typical wind assumptions here and how they are measured.

http://www.eoearth.org/article/Energy_return_on_investment_%28EROI%29,_economic_feasibility_and_carbon_intensity_of_a_hypothetical_Lake_Ontario_wind_farm

Gas Turbines tend to spin up fast so they do not provide base load but are used to deal with sudden power demand . As their day to day usage is unpredictable it is difficult to contratc ahead and a lot of gas is bought on the spot market unless there is onsite storage ...but even then .

I would assume that the price of gas to a turbine is high ....even by gas price standards . Top third of rates apply I would think .

Finally the concept of EROI is important , The Oil Drum carries a lot of serious quality energy analysis . This piece is on EROI itself

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/3786

Finally if you are trying to 'smooth' the intermittence of wind you need a lot of fast spin up gas plant rather than semi baseload 'traditional' gas that takes time to bring online .

CCT is the best 'cold start' technology and if we overly rely on Wind in Ireland we will tend to have a lot of CCT plant rathe rthan traditional gas plants because if it ain't a blowing we need a plan B , right now.

Our grid cannot deliver sufficient gas at short notice for unpredicatble fast spins so we therefore need CCT + Onsite Storage that can charge the tanks at off peak times which is even more expensive :(

We cannot , in fairness, design a reliable grid without fast spin technology to compensate for the intermittence of wind .

The more we rely on wind the more complicated we make it and principle demand side demand metering is almost impossible in Ireland right now even if the greens honestly explained what their beloved 'smart green' meters actuallly ARE , namely rolling spot blackouts .

It has gotten to the stage that the words smart and green , when used together in a sentence in Ireland , actually mean a sneaky kludge.

Sponge Bob, this is the smart meter I was referring to:

http://www.coolpower.ie/energycontrol/index.html

It doesn't require any energy blackouts at all. There are other plans by US companies that might not suit Ireland because we don't have our residential hot water boilers on 24hrs/day but they basically front-load the hot water boilers with sufficient heat for 3 days when the energy is available on the grid.

You're right about serious upgrade of grid and IT capacity of the grid required but our grid is ageing and is in need of an overhaul. We might as well incorporate this technology as we go. The very fact of putting a smart meter in a consumer's house has been proven to reduce electricity consumption by 10-15%.

• Advertisement

OK just on the costings...what about fuel costs for the CGT?

Also carbon tax costs and other costs that are currently externalised, such as other forms of air pollution? I mean if we're going to talk about costs, let's talk about all the costs, right?

Also, just on the €1m/MW. I have EWEA data showing €1,000/MW for a typical 2MW turbine in Europe with a breakdown of costs. AWEA also have figures of $1000/KW. Can you provide a source for the €1m/MW and a breakdown of costs?

I didn't do a break down of fuel costs. But I think we can accept that you will buy a hell of allot of gas for 3 or 4 billion which is the difference in capital costs....

The wholesale cost of electricity in currently about €40 a MW hour (on the long term market) on the spot marker it varies all over the place from pretty much worthless to a multiple of €40) Funnily enough the spot price drops considerable when the wind is blowing as you have extra capacity which makes wind power pretty much worthless as stand alone proposition.

To sell it on the long term market and ensure it has any value you need to either build a CGT plant as a backup (which eats into your carbon benefits and savings) and adds to your costs or add some form of storage which will need significant grid investment and add even more cost.

Now you have the capital cost of the wind farm. Assume a 20 year life for a turbine and do the calculations on cost per MW to pay for the capital costs of the wind farm. Then add 10% for maintenance (as per your figures)....

Ahhh hell Im feeling generous..

24*365*20 = 175200 hours

multiplied by 440 Mw = 77,088,000 MW hours

Total cost for this many hours is 2.64 billion lets forget financing costs for the moment)

1Mw hour = €34 in capital depreciation alone ........................

add 10% for maintenance €37.40 per MW hour

Do you want to add financing costs now ?

Now to get market value you need to add the cost of the backup or storage..........

What about a margin ?

You are up near €80 to €90 now.....

As for the 1.5 million per MW installed. I have a number of sources for that the last of which was the Spirit if Ireland proposal. They estimated they could get the price down to 1.3 million due to the volumes they were buying and the lower installation costs associated with their proposal.

Its one of the reasons I insisted we agreed figures in advance.

If you can buy a 3Mw turbine for 3K or a 2Mw turbine for 2K then I will take 10 off you for my back garden.;)

Have a look at a small domestic turbine and the price.

edit see you edited to reflect Kw price not Mw.

Advertisement