Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good METAL amp

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Hah! :pac:

Honestly, it just doesn't get more Metal than Engl. I'd still say try second hand, you should be able to get a Thunder 50, or maybe Screamer 50. If you're unconvinced that Engl isn't metal enough, take a peek a this:

Ok I stand so so corrected. and I love it.

Thats my style of metal that I play so I think ill go for a ENGL. What kind is he playing?

My ears experienced an orgasm lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nahguavkire

Despite my previous advice however my next amp purchase is most likely going to be an Orange AD50H Thunderverb (the 200w is a bit of overkill unless you're playing stadiums...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Paolo_M wrote: »
    Demz some metal tonz alright. :D
    Not a big fan of this style of music but the tone is perfect.
    Lots of clear punchy mids, not too much low and not too much gain, which seem to be the common "mistakes" metallers make.
    ENGLs have the perfect sound for what appears to be called "teh brootz", I think that's what the modern kids call the Lamb Of God etc. sound.
    Oh God, I'm so old and out of it :)

Honestly, they're great amps altogether, not just for the brutal metals (although that said, the Fireball/Powerball are very one-trick ponies). You'd see quite a few of the classic rock heads going for them these days, and yeah, it's those mids that really shine. I have the Engl Invader 100 myself, and the low gain tones are just astounding, far better than what most big multi-channel amps can do. So for the oldies among us, check out Steve Morse's tone here, especially the solo after 3:30 onwards:

Tonally, it's not too different to the Jeff Loomis clip I posted, it's lighter on gain, but there's still those punchy mids.

Here's a rather cool video I found, he's using the Steve Morse signature amp:

Ok I stand so so corrected. and I love it.

Thats my style of metal that I play so I think ill go for a ENGL. What kind is he playing?

My ears experienced an orgasm lol.

Looking at this clip he's playing an Invader, this big shiny thing here. But yeah, that's a little on the expensive side, so not something I'd recommend with a given budget of 500-ish.

But if you like the Engl sound like in the clips, the Screamer 50 would definitely be the closest to the Invader/Steve Morse sig in a small package, and if you got a nice boost like an Ibanez Tubescreamer (here), it would push the mids that bit more and get you closer to the more saturated, punchy mids of the bigger Engls.

Anyway, here's a video of someone running a demo of the Screamer, which should give you an idea:

I'd still say look second hand, you might find yourself a good bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 chancer60

For metal go for a valve amp. Valves overdrive in a way that transistors (solid state) can't match. They have a natural compression when driven hard. If you want something you can use at home or for pub gigs you won't beat the sound of the Marshall combos. Anything around 100w will do nicely. They also look great and who can agrue with the Marshall heritage. If you need to go louder most of them have a direct out socket that allows you to plug into a PA system. Many have an extension speaker socket too. The Marshall combos I've had have a huge range of tone options and usually allow you to have a clean, overdriven and mega overdriven channel each available from a footswitch which is essential for quick sound changes on stage. Recent models have a digital effects processor (reverb, delay, chorus, flange etc). My personal favourite VS 265 (2 x 12) just has reverb and chorus. I've had problems with both Marshall combos I have but nothing major (dry solder joints and a loose circuit board). Check the weight of whatever you're buying. If you can't lift it you'll eventually hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Tomas911

+1 Randall

• Advertisement
Advertisement