Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Dead or Alive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭M O N T O

My Top 5 would be:

5. Mos Def: Very Underated, Makes song you can chill and listen to but also songs that get you wildin!

4. KanYe West: I know a lot of people are going to Dismiss my list straight away after this, but i genuinely think Ye has enormous talent as an MC. College Dropout is definetly one of my highlyrated albums, and Late Regestration isnt far behind. Although his recent mishaps are to be accounted for, he seems to be on his way back rapping, and thats good.

3:Royce da 5''9: Man, The Thing i love about Royce is that every track is a classic. Lyrically, definetly one of, if not THE BEST lyricist ever, and i'm not exaggerating. Bar Exam & bar Exam 2 are amazing how he makes songs twice as good as the original artists on them beats.

2. Common: Great Rapper, also very underrated. Although hes been at it for years, ''Be'' is probably my favourite album of all time. I'm mad into that Chi-soul sound.

1. Nas: Problem is, I'm also Maddddd into that Queensbridge Durrty steez. Nas is the King, Amazing lyricist combined with that smooth voice. Gully as **** also. Illmatic is The Greatest Rap Album ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BigSiyo85

Whopper thread, love it. Some decent lists there alright. I wouldnt be huge on Pharoahe Monch meself. I would love to put Snoop in there because he is a ****ing ledgend. Doggystyle is off the mo'****in chain. Start to finish its my soundtrack but he has let me down in the last few years haha. Here is my list (not 100% in order as its hard for me to choose between them)

Bone Thugs N Harmony (i noticed Bone Thugs werent metioned once, I am a huge Bone fan i think there heads and shoulders above 99% of the game, over 30mil sold and the only artists to record with Eazy E,2Pac* an Biggie )
    Albums Recomend : BTNHRessurection, Collections Vol 1 & 2, E1999, Art Of War
    *i say Pac but Bizzy was originaly meant to collab with Pac but the lads dropped verses after

Bizzy Bone (his flow and delivery are top drawer, he is an animal i ****ing love his sound, he inspires me so much its unbelievable)
    Albums Recomend : The Gift (a masterpiece )

Krayzie Bone (this geezer haha, he dropped a solo double cd Thug Mentality, this album is incrediable both discs full of exactly what you wanna hear outta Kray, he is the slickest lyricast, flow is flawless, melodys he comes up with are timeless)
    Albums Recomend : Thug Mentality , Thug On The Line(parts) , Smoke On This Mixtape Vol.1

Mos Def (he is amazing, end off. one of the most under rated, better than Jay-Z, Kanye etc....the lot, Hip Hop, Ms Fat Booty, Mathematics to name a few. All BANGERS, he switchs it up too which he kills everytime )
    Albums Recomend : Black On Both Sides , The New Danger

2Pac (i was raised on oul Pac, first artist i listened to getting into hip hop and i still do, All Eyez On Me is timeless, his passion is unmatched)
    Albums Recomend : you know yourself
    Fav Songs 1. All Out original, Shed So Many Tears, **** All Y'all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

BigSiyo85 wrote: »
    Whopper thread, love it. Some decent lists there alright. I wouldnt be huge on Pharoahe Monch meself. I would love to put Snoop in there because he is a ****ing ledgend. Doggystyle is off the mo'****in chain. Start to finish its my soundtrack but he has let me down in the last few years haha. Here is my list (not 100% in order as its hard for me to choose between them)

Bone Thugs N Harmony (i noticed Bone Thugs werent metioned once, I am a huge Bone fan i think there heads and shoulders above 99% of the game, over 30mil sold and the only artists to record with Eazy E,2Pac* an Biggie )
    *i say Pac but Bizzy was originaly meant to collab with Pac but the lads dropped verses after

Bizzy Bone (his flow and delivery are top drawer, he is an animal i ****ing love his sound, he inspires me so much its unbelievable)

Krayzie Bone (this geezer haha, he dropped a solo double cd Thug Mentality, this album is incrediable both discs full of exactly what you wanna hear outta Kray, he is the slickest lyricast, flow is flawless, melodys he comes up with are timeless)
    Albums Recomend : Thug Mentality , Thug On The Line(parts) , Smoke On This Mixtape Vol.1

Mos Def (he is amazing, end off. one of the most under rated, better than Jay-Z, Kanye etc....the lot, Hip Hop, Ms Fat Booty, Mathematics to name a few. All BANGERS, he switchs it up too which he kills everytime )

2Pac (i was raised on oul Pac, first artist i listened to getting into hip hop and i still do, All Eyez On Me is timeless, his passion is unmatched)

So essentially, BTNH at 5, 4 and 3! Your surname wouldn't happen to be bone by any chance, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

I am a huge Bone fan

This made me laugh for some reason.... Andre 3000 should be in everyones list IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

This made me laugh for some reason.... Andre 3000 should be in everyones list IMO

Haha a big bone fan, this isn't that kind of forum!

3 stacks is in my top 20, id pick everyone in my list over him + a few others but he's up their alright! Im not sure whos the best Southern mc, its either Andre or Scarface

• Advertisement

No love for Pharoahe?? Ah man dude is a monster, check out his flow on Organized Konfusion - Bring it On, unreal! He's dropped some of the best verses ever!

I like Snoop but he's put out more bad stuff than good, but Doggystyle speaks for itself & he played a big part on the Chronic.

Im ot much of a Bone thugs fan myself but that track with B.I.G is killer

And on 2pac, same as yourself he got me into hip hop, dont listen to him that much anymore, but he's a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BigSiyo85

floggg wrote: »
    So essentially, BTNH at 5, 4 and 3! Your surname wouldn't happen to be bone by any chance, no?

haha nah mate they would be 1,2 an 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

1. MF DOOM
    2. Common
    3. J-Live
    4. Wu-Tang Clan
    5. Black Thought/Mos Def

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

At the moment.....

5 - Akala
    4 - Jazz Addixx
    3 - Gang Starr
    2 - Lupe Fiasco
    1 - Jay Z

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Based on what I listen to:

1. André 3000 - Amazing rapper, always has been, he's just got such a great delivery and I love his production too.

2. Nas - He's a great storyteller, especailly on tracks like Rewind and One Love.

3. Ol' Dirty Bastard - I can only pick one WTC member and it'd have to be my favourite. He has a unique style but I've always found it to be enjoyable.

4. Ice Cube - The best from NWA, imo, and had some brilliant stuff in his early solo career (Death Certificate, The Predator).

5. Dr. Dre - Not so much for his rapping but for his production. It's always felt a bit aggro but on the edge and very finely tuned.

Honourable mentions for Chali 2na, J-Dilla, Kanye West, Pharrell Williams and Eminem.

EDIT: After having a think about it, Dre is better than Kanye.

• Advertisement

horsebox09 wrote: »
    Haha a big bone fan, this isn't that kind of forum!

3 stacks is in my top 20, id pick everyone in my list over him + a few others but he's up their alright! Im not sure whos the best Southern mc, its either Andre or Scarface

When andré spits, he's one of the best to ever do it. The problem is he's gone to out there lately, too much singing and tofu for my liking. I know he might be getting more love from hey ya than get up get out but i aint into all of that. Get back rapping!

When andré spits, he's one of the best to ever do it. The problem is he's gone to out there lately, too much singing and tofu for my liking. I know he might be getting more love from hey ya than get up get out but i aint into all of that. Get back rapping!

I actually forgot how good Andre was so yesterday i listened to ATLiens
    and Aquemini, on those albums he's pretty much flawless! Same goes for Big Boi

I know I prefer Andre's rapping aswell, Outkast are always switching their style so god knows what they'll come out with next!

Gyalist wrote: »
    1. MF DOOM
    2. Common
    3. J-Live
    4. Wu-Tang Clan
    5. Black Thought/Mos Def

Great list, some of the best discogs in hip hop right there!

I always forget about J Live and Black Thought

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

just going to throw out a name that rarely gets mentioned, top 5 worthy, i'm not too sure. But definitely a gifted guy. The person in question is (Mad) Skillz. I listened to From Where !?! again recently and it is incredibly dope. His other albums are also really good, not as groundbreaking but certainly albums you can always go back to.
    He's a great MC, great delivery, great writer, has carved out his own little tricks/niches such as the end of year rap up. He extended this to a end of The Wire rap up. He's been ghost writing for plenty of people, always working but always kinda under the radar. He also gets alot of respect from others in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

Was really into rap in my mid-teens but have gone off it in a major way. Still love Jay-z though, despite his mainstream status. Acts like Blackalicious, Latyrx and J5 (especially Chali 2na) still have a place in my heart as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

powerzjim wrote: »
    for me its

1. Nas
    2. Tupac
    3. Common
    4. Andre 3000
    5. Lupe Fiasco

^there the ones i personally listen to the most
    My top 5 too :D

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    just going to throw out a name that rarely gets mentioned, top 5 worthy, i'm not too sure. But definitely a gifted guy. The person in question is (Mad) Skillz. I listened to From Where !?! again recently and it is incredibly dope. His other albums are also really good, not as groundbreaking but certainly albums you can always go back to.
    He's a great MC, great delivery, great writer, has carved out his own little tricks/niches such as the end of year rap up. He extended this to a end of The Wire rap up. He's been ghost writing for plenty of people, always working but always kinda under the radar. He also gets alot of respect from others in the industry.

He gets no love from me - one of his yearly rap-ups (almost) ruined season 4 of the wire for me with a rap of who got shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Evzer

This is almost too hard a question but sure i'll give it an ol' lash anyway. Not necessarily in Order.

Ice Cube:- His recent output hasn't been great but his contribution to 'Straight Outta Compton' and his first 3 solo albums were excellent and are all classics in my opinion. Death certificate is my favourite west coast album of all time, every tune on there is classic not one that i'd skip over. Bow Down with westside connection is also dope.

Kool G Rap:- He never gets enough credit. 'Streets of New York' is one of the best songs in any genre of all time! His flow is amazing..anyone who thinks Nas is the GOAT should listen to fast life..He completely outshines Nas.

GZA:- There are a few from the Wu that could go in this list imo but GZA deserves it most IMO. Liquid swords is an amazing album, he always has the best verse on any track he's on also. A lot of people thought Iron Flag was a wack album but if you listen to the track 'Back in the Game' GZA's verse is probably one of the best and most complex verses of all time imo..He is a Genius.

Gang Starr:- I Don't know if groups can go into this or wha, but i will anyway shur. Guru's not the most complex lyrically out there but combined with primo they put out tune after classic tune..Mass appeal, The militia, Dwyck, etc, etc,

Outkast:- Aquemini is one the best albums ever. Their music is actually innovative and original , unlike people like Kanye west who journalists regularly **** themselves into a coma over despite bringing nothing that new to the table except doing duets with angsty pricks like Chris martin who no real heads want to hear on a hip-hop track anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

He gets no love from me - one of his yearly rap-ups (almost) ruined season 4 of the wire for me with a rap of who got shot!
    i think there was a disclaimer on that song ssaying that it would ruin the series if you hadnt seen it all :D

i think there was a disclaimer on that song ssaying that it would ruin the series if you hadnt seen it all :D

This wasn't the wire rap up now (you'd want to be pretty thick not to expect a few spoilers in that) - it was just the 2006 annual rap up of world events!

• Advertisement

This wasn't the wire rap up now (you'd want to be pretty thick not to expect a few spoilers in that) - it was just the 2006 annual rap up of world events!

must go back and take a listen, it was probably before i watched the wire so i didnt pay attention to it

Evzer wrote: »
    This is almost too hard a question but sure i'll give it an ol' lash anyway. Not necessarily in Order.

Ice Cube:- His recent output hasn't been great but his contribution to 'Straight Outta Compton' and his first 3 solo albums were excellent and are all classics in my opinion. Death certificate is my favourite west coast album of all time, every tune on there is classic not one that i'd skip over. Bow Down with westside connection is also dope.

Kool G Rap:- He never gets enough credit. 'Streets of New York' is one of the best songs in any genre of all time! His flow is amazing..anyone who thinks Nas is the GOAT should listen to fast life..He completely outshines Nas.

GZA:- There are a few from the Wu that could go in this list imo but GZA deserves it most IMO. Liquid swords is an amazing album, he always has the best verse on any track he's on also. A lot of people thought Iron Flag was a wack album but if you listen to the track 'Back in the Game' GZA's verse is probably one of the best and most complex verses of all time imo..He is a Genius.

Gang Starr:- I Don't know if groups can go into this or wha, but i will anyway shur. Guru's not the most complex lyrically out there but combined with primo they put out tune after classic tune..Mass appeal, The militia, Dwyck, etc, etc,

Outkast:- Aquemini is one the best albums ever. Their music is actually innovative and original , unlike people like Kanye west who journalists regularly **** themselves into a coma over despite bringing nothing that new to the table except doing duets with angsty pricks like Chris martin who no real heads want to hear on a hip-hop track anyway.

Nice list, although as much as i love Gangstarr, i wouldnt have Guru on it. Too monotone and very predictable.

But GZA is a great choice. I was listening to Words From The Genius yesterday and couldnt get over how good he was even back then.

Cube - cant front on his stuff with NWA, Westside Connection and his albums up to Lethal Injection

Nice list, although as much as i love Gangstarr, i wouldnt have Guru on it. Too monotone and very predictable.

But GZA is a great choice. I was listening to Words From The Genius yesterday and couldnt get over how good he was even back then.

Cube - cant front on his stuff with NWA, Westside Connection and his albums up to Lethal Injection

50 Cent on GZA - sometimes, he's so smart he's stupid!

He's nice, but i can't dig the monotone delivery. A bit like guru, i think it grates too much.

Evzer wrote: »

YES!! Someone else mentioned Kool G Rap at last! Great list, good shout on Ice Cube, was going to mention him aswell, probably the best West Coast emcee, wrote alot of stuff for Dre and Eazy E aswell.

I like Guru, I think alot of people underrate him, but back when Primo wasn't the great producer he became, Guru carried Gangstarr ( yeah, I said it! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭xstarz 2kaii9x

1-Biggie
    2-2pac
    3-Kanye West
    4-Jay-Z
    5-50 cent

prob change it around.....

I like Guru, I think alot of people underrate him, but back when Primo wasn't the great producer he became, Guru carried Gangstarr ( yeah, I said it! )

Blasphemy! Primo is the greatest thing to happen to hip-hop since Kool Herc started throwing parties on sedgwick ave!

Blasphemy! Primo is the greatest thing to happen to hip-hop since Kool Herc started throwing parties on sedgwick ave!

Dont get wrong, bar RZA and Pete Rock, Primo is my favorite producer, but ( looks over his shoulder ) he wasn't great when he first started out, id say Guru was the star of the first 2 Gangstarr albums ( starts running for his life! ) so I can see why somebody would him on their list

Primo really stepped his game up when RZA came along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Seefig

Immortal Technique
    Nas
    Common
    Dre
    Das EFX

couldnt number them in any other tho

Dont get wrong, bar RZA and Pete Rock, Primo is my favorite producer, but ( looks over his shoulder ) he wasn't great when he first started out, id say Guru was the star of the first 2 Gangstarr albums ( starts running for his life! ) so I can see why somebody would him on their list

Primo really stepped his game up when RZA came along

Well, haven't heard first two gangstarr albums tbh, so i won't comment. as much as i love premo, i struggle to listen to guru on his own. but when you get even a moderately skilled rapper on a premo beat.... oh lawdy!

not as up on pete rock as maybe i should be, but of the more recent stuff he's put out, i'm not all that moved by it. but i will agree, rza is probably the only producer other than dre that can be mentioned in the same breath as dj premier. like premo, rza's production is just infectious - its just gets up under your skin, but in a good way.

dre, not so much these days, but everything he touched up to and including the games first album was just brilliant!

• Advertisement

Well, haven't heard first two gangstarr albums tbh, so i won't comment. as much as i love premo, i struggle to listen to guru on his own. but when you get even a moderately skilled rapper on a premo beat.... oh lawdy!

not as up on pete rock as maybe i should be, but of the more recent stuff he's put out, i'm not all that moved by it. but i will agree, rza is probably the only producer other than dre that can be mentioned in the same breath as dj premier. like premo, rza's production is just infectious - its just gets up under your skin, but in a good way.

dre, not so much these days, but everything he touched up to and including the games first album was just brilliant!

yeah I definetly agree that anybody can sound good over a Primo beat, and for the most part he was the key man in Gangstarr!
    My only beef with Primo is his formula never really changes, whereas people like pete rock, rza and dre have changed their style alot, but I suppose if aint dont fix it!

pete rock in the 90's was a beat machine! check out any album he done with Cl smooth, my favorite album that he produced is InI - Center of Attention, one of the best produced albums ive ever heard! I remember seen that your a lil brother fan, if you like 9th's beats you'll love those!

Yeah i love RZA's beats, my personal favorite producer, his work from 93-97 wont be matched again imo

Dre when he's on form is unreal with his beats, he should go back to making G-funk!

Advertisement