Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 50 Albums of The Decade! Vote Now!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
    Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
    Beirut - The Flying Club Cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Arcade Fire - Funeral
    Sigur Ros - Takk...
    Smashing Pumpkins - MACHINA/The Machines of God

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Pearl Jam - Binaural
    Radiohead - Kid A
    Arcade Fire - Funeral

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Fr Pat Noise

The National - Boxer

Grandaddy - Sophtware Slump

Interpol - Antics

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

Smashing Pumpkins - MACHINA/The Machines of God

really? i really didnt like machina. but machina 2 is a different story, it almost made it onto my list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
    Hello Saferide - More Modern Short Stories From Hello Saferide
    Hawksley Workman - (Last Night We Were) The Delicious Wolves

all great albums, shame they don't get a lot of radio play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Arctic Monkeys - WPSIATWIN
    The Strokes - Is this it ?
    The Killers - Sam's Town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers

Mellon Collie and the Infinte Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins

London's Calling - The Clash

i see all these post with The Strokes, Libertines, Artic Monkeys and The Killers and I really have to laugh.. god I long for meaningful angst rock n roll not this 'indie' attitutde. Gimme some raw guitar with a soulful lyric and not a cliched reference to dancing or some chicks new hairdo... aah the 90's!

*EDIT: shows how eager to jump the gun I was, this decade aaaahhh right you are then thats tought cause this has been the worst decade of music ever!!

Ill go with
    Neon Bible - Arcade Fire
    Audioslave - Audioslave.
    Origin of Symmetry - Muse

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Arcade Fire - Funeral
    Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
    Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    really? i really didnt like machina. but machina 2 is a different story, it almost made it onto my list.

Well I had to pick a Pumpkins record, and since there were only 2 this decade, I sure as **** wasnt gonna pick Zeitgeist!

Yeah Machina II is good, but my copy is bad quality (what with it being an unusual format release and all...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Voted for:

Bob Dylan - Modern Times

Ween - Quebec

Radiohead - In Rainbows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers

Mellon Collie and the Infinte Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins

London's Calling - The Clash

i see all these post with The Strokes, Libertines, Artic Monkeys and The Killers and I really have to laugh.. god I long for meaningful angst rock n roll not this 'indie' attitutde. Gimme some raw guitar with a soulful lyric and not a cliched reference to dancing or some chicks new hairdo... aah the 90's!

Anyway

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco
    2. Devil and God are Raging inside me - Brand New
    3. Transatlantacism - Death Cab for Cutie

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

The libertines - Up the Bracket

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Radiohead - In Rainbows

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

*EDIT: shows how eager to jump the gun I was, this decade aaaahhh right you are then thats tought cause this has been the worst decade of music ever!!

Ill go with
    Neon Bible - Arcade Fire
    Audioslave - Audioslave.
    Origin of Symmetry - Muse

"Cliched reference to dancing or some chicks new hairdo . . ." - wtf does this even mean.
    Three of the bands you mention -
    The Strokes
    The Libertines
    Arctic Monkeys

have nothing cliched about their lyrics at all.
    Their songs are about their lives, they aren't made up.
    Yes plenty of Libertines songs are about debauchery, drugs etc - but that's the world they lived in. Their songs are honest.
    You listen to The Strokes and you hear New York, they're real.

When i think of "Angst Rock" as you put it, then i think of Cliches.
    "I'm in pain, life is sh*t" blah blah blah.

You single out Audioslave, and you couldn't have given a better example.
    Generic guitar riffs ripped off from Led Zeppelin and some of the most appalling lyrics i've ever heard. Vague, meaningless nonsense.

anyway, my three -

The Strokes - Is this It
    The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
    Magnetic Fields - 69 Love songs

FWIW i think this has been one of the best decades for music.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭The-Ry-Man06

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    death cab for cutie - plans

tegan and sara - the con.

rilo kiley - more adventurous

Thank god someone else put down Plans i felt really wierd because ive literally cant stop listening to the album for the last few months.

Death Cab for cutie - Plans
    Postal Service - Give Up
    Frames - The Cost

(Really wanted Battles - Mirrored, in there too but the cost is just such an emotional album)

And IMO this has been one of the best decade for alternative music i really dont no WTF people are talking about!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sos33

foo fighters-echoes,silence,patience&grace
    biffyclyro-puzzle
    evanescence-fallen

"Cliched reference to dancing or some chicks new hairdo . . ." - wtf does this even mean.
    Three of the bands you mention -
    The Strokes
    The Libertines
    Arctic Monkeys

have nothing cliched about their lyrics at all.
    Their songs are about their lives, they aren't made up.
    Yes plenty of Libertines songs are about debauchery, drugs etc - but that's the world they lived in. Their songs are honest.
    You listen to The Strokes and you hear New York, they're real.

When i think of "Angst Rock" as you put it, then i think of Cliches.
    "I'm in pain, life is sh*t" blah blah blah.

You single out Audioslave, and you couldn't have given a better example.
    Generic guitar riffs ripped off from Led Zeppelin and some of the most appalling lyrics i've ever heard. Vague, meaningless nonsense.

anyway, my three -

The Strokes - Is this It
    The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
    Magnetic Fields - 69 Love songs

FWIW i think this has been one of the best decades for music.

Worst decade of music ever... Can I ask you before going into a debate, how old you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Worst decade of music ever... Can I ask you before going into a debate, how old you are?

i'm 24.
    However i have a mystical ability to listen to music older than myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

There's no better or worse decade of music IMO. You get good and bad in everything

70s had Joy Division, Crass, Blondie, The Specials, Nick Drake
    80s had Sonic Youth, The Smiths, Pixies, Fugazi, The Cure,
    90s WOW! American Football, Cap'n Jazz, Elliott Smith, Braid, Pulp, Radiohead, I could go on all day
    and this decade has had some fantastic bands, Arcade Fire, Minus the Bear, Flaming Lips, Biffy Clyro until a few years ago, Royksopp, Cursive, At the Drive in, again I could go into the night thinking of great albums and inspirational records.

If you have an open mind you can see great qualities in every decade- it's too easy to write off a decade and give it a label. Was there more to the 80s than synth? Of course! Is there more than 'self angst' as you put it in this decade? Of course!

Maybe you're not looking hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Muse - Origin of Symmetry
    The Killers - Hot Fuss
    Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Daysha wrote: »
    Muse - Origin of Symmetry
    The Killers - Hot Fuss
    Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

Yup also went for Fleet Foxes. It was very hard to choose but I went for Bon Iver 'For Emma Forever Ago', and Fionn Regan 'The End of History'. And not just because he's Irish - honestly one of my favourite albums of all time, he's an unbelievably talented musician and songwriter. For anyone who hasn't heard it yet (not quite sure how 'big' he got) I would say give it a listen. Every track is a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Morzadec wrote: »
    Yup also went for Fleet Foxes. It was very hard to choose but I went for Bon Iver 'For Emma Forever Ago', and Fionn Regan 'The End of History'. And not just because he's Irish - honestly one of my favourite albums of all time, he's an unbelievably talented musician and songwriter. For anyone who hasn't heard it yet (not quite sure how 'big' he got) I would say give it a listen. Every track is a winner.

Yep Fionn Regan is excellant. Cant wait for the new album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Its been a relatively poor decade for music to be honest. I think this is the decade where image and hairdos really took over from musical ability. But id go for:

Early Day Miners - Jefferson at rest

...And you will know us by the trail of dead - Source tags and Code

Grizzly Bear - Yellow House

But radiohead will prob come 1st, 2nd and 3rd, so ill just say 'radiohead'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Meh I just picked the three albums I liked the best

i'm 24.
    However i have a mystical ability to listen to music older than myself
    Congratulations you have ears.
    Col MCFC wrote: »
    and this decade has had some fantastic bands.....Flaming Lips,
    Flaming Lips are 90's band, actually from late 80's!
    Col MCFC wrote: »
    There's no better or worse decade of music IMO. You get good and bad in everything
    This is true. But I just think that in the 70's this was the best decade because there was a hell of alot more artists that are more inspirational or technically better than recording artists these days. Im not saying theres not any as im a huge Muse, Biffy, Bon Iver, KOL fan. but I do know in ten years or so when I have kids if I give them a few records to stick on will I hand them over the Strokes? the libertines the artic monkeys albums instead of a Zeppelin album a Dylan record or Neil Young album with some Nirvana and Guns N Roses. I know what wins for me.. Not this 00's anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Great to see such a long thread on this topic and some great albums being named.

If you haven't voted please do they count towards the count down on Monday, October 26th.

Full details and voting form is here:

http://www.phantom.ie/entertainment/2673.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

deisedude wrote: »
    Yep Fionn Regan is excellant. Cant wait for the new album.

He's taking his time on it though isn't he?! Any idea when it might come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

1- Radiohead - Kid A
    2- The Strokes - Is This It?
    3- Fleet foxes -Fleet foxes

Radiohead, Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire, The Strokes and White Stripes all gonna be up there but I hope Fleet Foxes are in the top 10 at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Morzadec wrote: »
    He's taking his time on it though isn't he?! Any idea when it might come out?

I've no idea when it's coming out. He is doing a tour now though so i'd say it must be soon. I saw him last year in the Pavillion in Cork and he was brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

This is true. But I just think that in the 70's this was the best decade because there was a hell of alot more artists that are more inspirational or technically better than recording artists these days. Im not saying theres not any as im a huge Muse, Biffy, Bon Iver, KOL fan. but I do know in ten years or so when I have kids if I give them a few records to stick on will I hand them over the Strokes? the libertines the artic monkeys albums instead of a Zeppelin album a Dylan record or Neil Young album with some Nirvana and Guns N Roses. I know what wins for me.. Not this 00's anyway.

Of course older music is more inspirational, had much more exposure and a generation who grew up on it. It's rare that you get a band like Oasis or the Stone Roses who are instantly inspirational to their peers.

I don't agree that it's been a weak decade for music either. Some of the stuff that I like like Death Cab, Wilco, Bright Eyes, Ryan Adams has never been done better and for the experimental and out there rock the likes of Sufjan Stevens will be massively inspirational down the road

Advertisement