Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple Extending

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

1RM testing

Warm up

Squats
    94lbs x 5
    134 x 5
    184 x 3
    234 x 1
    254 x 1

274 x 1 (124.28Kg)

294 x 0
    284 x 0

284 x 0 (Forgot to turn my camera off, after about 30 seconds it's just me unloading the bar :p)

Military Press
    44lbs x 5
    54 x 5
    64 x 3
    84 x 2
    94 x 1
    104 x 1
    114 x 1 (51.7)
    119 x 0

Squats.
    Went in feeling not great about myself, once i started squatting I felt a lot better though. 254 seemed easy, 274 seemed hard but I felt I could have had another rep. I got cocky, went for 294 failure. Went to 284, I panicked on the descent and didn't get even close to deep enough so just reracked it. I watched the video on my phone and was disgusted, went for 284 again but it wasn't to be. I think I could have gotten 284 if I didn't go for 294 or panic the first time trying it. I weighed myself this morning and i weighed in at 154lbs, so 274lbs was 1.78 times my body-weight.

Military Press
    My pressing ability is absolutely atrocious. 114 was a fight, 119 was never going anywhere unfortunately. I didn't take any vids of this as there was no where to put my phone while I was doing these. 114lbs is 0.74 times my body-weight.

Any comments on squat videos are appreciated. Deadlifts and bench tomorrow

Deadlift Max Testing
    94lbs x 5
    134 x 5
    184 x 2
    224 x 1
    254 x 1
    274 x 1
    284 x 1
    294 x 1
    304 x 1 (137.89)
    314 x 0

Bench Max testing
    44lbs x 5
    84 x 5
    104 x 2
    124 x 1
    134 x 1
    144 x 1
    149 x 1 (67.59)
    159 x 0

Was really happy with the deadlifts, just shy of double body weight. 314 just wasn't happening, I was absolutely drained. Bench was fine, just shy of body weight here (154 lbs). Should probably have went for 154 instead of 159 but I won't lose any sleep over it.

After 4 cycles of 5/3/1 my squat went up 30 lbs, I feel 40 lbs would have been doable yesterday except for some mistakes, my military press went up 10 lbs, deadlift went up 60 lbs and bench went up 15 lbs. I enjoyed 5/3/1 and it make a big change from squatting every day however even though it says 5/3/1 is for everyone beginners and upwards, I feel I could have benefited from something with linear progression. I also made the mistake of using BossArky's spreadsheet which was set up for kilograms so my increases were not enough. I only realised this last week though!

My crossfit adventure starts tomorrow.

Crossfit Foundation Class 1

Just going through some basic movements and the cross fit warm up. Started out with a 500m row, then 10 OH Squats, 10 Push ups, 10 Sit ups, 10 Dips from a bench, 10 pull ups on the green band, these were a little easy so moved to the blue band and they were more challenging. Next did some handstand holds, first for 30 seconds, then for a minute. Went onto do some assisted Handstand Push ups. The set up for this was pretty interesting, a green band hanging from the pull up bar, with a red band looped through the green band. After this you wore the red band like a back pack and got yourself into position, wrapping one leg in front of the green band and one behind. I had never seen this done before.

After this it was onto the baseline workout

500m Row
    40 Air Squats
    30 Sit ups
    20 Push ups
    10 Pull ups

Row started out terribly, I slipped off my seat, and had difficulty staying on the seat for the rest of the row, finished this pretty quickly and a head of the rest of the class, squats were easy, took an extremely brief break at 30 squats, sit ups were fine too. At this point I was about six or seven seconds a head of the next person. Got to push ups and the guy behind me absolutely annihilated them, he ended up about five seconds a head of me. Then the pull ups I totally crashed and burned. I think the 10 pull ups took me longer then any other part of the work out which was rather annoying. Finished in 7:05, 80 seconds slower then last time I did it, however last time i did it I didn't do anything prior to testing the work out. If my pull ups weren't such a disaster I think I'd have been ahead of the 5:45 though.

I was supposed to do foundation class 2 this Wednesday but it clashes with a soccer match so will have to wait until next week to do this before I can begin doing the proper work outs.

Also, I'm looking for a good way to increase my bench, I figure I can combine this with the cross fit work outs (only twice a week for the moment). I don't think 5/3/1 is an ideal program for me as I feel I can progress linearly still. I'm thinking of just doing 5x5 increasing the weight every time I go and maybe doing this twice a week. Any suggestions that might be better then this? Should I maybe look into doing some incline benching/decline benching/dumbbell benching as well?

Some soccer training/gaa training/matches since my last log

21-April
    Crossfit Foundation class 2.

Started out warming up with some ring dips (red band), pull ups(blue band), rowing, handstand holds, handstand push ups (green band).

30 seconds on/30 seconds off with wall balls aiming for the 10 foot line
    13/13/17/16

Should have been more here, had never done this movement before so took me a while to realise the importance of getting the ball to come to you rather then having to reach out for it.

Lots of Kettlebell swings.
    Lots of Kettlebell cleans
    Lots of Sumo Deadlift High Pulls
    Lots of Hang Cleans

Metcon
    7 Minutes, AMRAP
    7 Kettlebell swings, 7 Sumo Deadlift High Pulls, 7 Pushups

Finished with 7 rounds with about 1 second left to go, found the kettlebell swings the hardest here, really cost me time here.

That's my foundation classes finished. Will be starting properly next Monday.

Warm up for 3 rounds
    10 Oh Squats (pvc pipe)
    10 24Kg Kettlebell deadlift
    5 ring push ups
    3 handstand holds (unassisted getting up)

Then this WOD

We were told to do them more like a deadlift and then pivot slightly rather then taking a step. There was the recommended and then two scale levels

Rx 30 25 20 15 10 5
    L2 25 20 15 10 5
    L1 20 15 10 5

I went with L2, finished in 16 minutes and 32 seconds, my forearms are wrecked now :)

• Advertisement

Monday night

Soccer Training

Wednesday evening

3 rounds of
    10 second hanging knee tuck
    10 16kg Kettlebell swings
    3 attempts to kip
    5 dead hang pull ups (blue band)

Learning to power clean with a pvc pipe

Did some practice with a barbell and some plates

"Grace"
    30 Clean & Jerks as fast as possible with 135lbs.

I did it with 95 as I'd never actually done power cleans prior to today. Finished in 5:29. Found the power cleans tough to get used to, got a bit better at the them as it went on but a lot of practice required.

Foam rolling & stretching to finish

Friday

Warm up
    10 Squats
    10 Push ups
    10 Back Extensions
    10 Sit ups
    10 Pull ups (blue band)
    80 ft lunges with shoulder dislocations
    80 ft reverse lunges

Workout of the Day
    3 rounds of
    100 ft Lunges
    50 Squats
    20 Chin ups

Chin ups absolutely destroyed me, started with a blue band for the first set and got through half the second set and had to move to a green band. By the end of the third set I was breaking it down into doubles and even singles (once). Chin ups, pull ups and press ups are my enemy :) Finished in 15:26, probably half my time spent on chin ups :( that's my first week of crossfit done. I'm looking forward to next week!

Saturday
    Soccer match in the am and going kayaking now

Monday

1Km Run
    Some hamstring warm up stuff

McGhee
    As many rounds as possible in 30 minutes of
    275lb deadlift x 5 (I did 225 lbs)
    Pushups x 13
    24 inch box jumps x 9

I did 10 rounds, plus 2 deadlifts. Push ups were the hardest part of this for me. After it was done I noticed my hands were ripped open. I don't think I've sweated so much in a work out before.

Work has had me all over the place since monday

Today

Dynamic Warm up

18 Foot rope climb (surprisingly easy, didn't even use my feet, except coming down)

As many rounds as possible in 20 min of:
    5 Ring Dips
    10 Push-ups
    15 Air Squats
    500m Run

10 seconds short of 6 rounds. started the last run with a minute and 30 seconds to go so pushed the last run a bit but not enough, I could have definitely got 6 rounds here if i had of pushed harder in one of the earlier rounds. Did the ring dips with a red band, started to get the hang of these more as i went on. I'm still attrocious at push ups. Squats were easy. Run got progressively harder.

Saturday
    Soccer Match

Today
    Dynamic Warm up,
    Jerk Warm up
    90lbs x 5
    90lbs x 5
    100lbs x 5
    110lbs x 5

Jerk Work Singles
    115lbs x 1
    125lbs x 1
    135lbs x 1
    165lbs x 0

WOD
    3 Tabatha Sets
    85lb Sumo Deadlift High pulls
    85lb Push Press
    85lb Barbell lunges

Jerks were phone, they feel surprisingly natural to me. Went for 165 lbs cos I was in a rush to get one last attempt in and they were the closest plates to me :p I almost had it as well. Would have been nice to put more then my body weight on my head. If i had time for another attempt i think I could have gotten it. WOD was very hard, I was using 10lb bumper plates and they were a bit warped so it made the SDHP's awkward. Found the push press hard enough. For the lunges, getting the bar onto my back for them was really annoying/tough after all the push presses.

• Advertisement

Today

Dynamic Warm up

4 rounds of
    10 two hand swings
    10 one hand swings (each side)
    5 Cleans (each side)
    10 Goblet squats
    5 Windmills (each side)

12-9-6-3 reps of:
    Power Snatch (115/75#) / I did 95lbs
    Burpee Box Jumps; (20/16#) / I used a 24" box
    Pull ups / I used a green band

Today was tough, I used a 25lb dumbbell for the first workout as All the 12kg kettlebells were in use. This was fine, really got the blood flowing. The proper WOD was much tougher. Got to practice some snatches first as I had never done them before. I was happy I went with 95# instead of anything lower. Burpee box jumps were fine, pull ups were easy with the green band. Talked with one of the coaches after the work out and got some pointers for the snatch, I definitely need to get under the bar more. Also talked about him with pull ups and he said if i'm struggling with the blue band, but can do the green band easily then i can combine a blue and a red band to make things harder then the green, but easier then the blue.

This morning @ 5:45 (Eugh)

Dynamic Warm-up - 5 min

As many rounds as possible in 12 min:
    3 Hand Stand Push-ups (HSPUs) (green band with red)
    7 Toes-2-Bar (Did knee tucks)
    10 Pendlay Rows (Supposed to be 135lbs did 95 lbs)

As many rounds as possible in 12 min:
    4 Sumo Deadlift High Pulls (Supposed to be 95 lbs did 65)
    8 Thrusters (Supposed to be 95lbs did 65)
    12 Burpees

Thinking of persisting with the AM sessions. My shoulders haven't recovered from wednesday yet though which was unfortunate. Got 6 rounds of the first WOD in. Had never done pendlay rows so went with 95. These felt really weird (kind of a dull sensation) on my shoulders/upper arms when I was at putting the weight back to the ground. Not sure what this was. Second WOD was horrible, I really struggled through the first round but half way through the second set of Thrusters my shoulders couldn't take it anymore. Did 20 push ups and 20 24" box jumps for 2 rounds. Today was very disappointing and a bit of an eye opener of how much work I actually need to do.

Saturday Soccer match

This morning(5:45)

Dynamic Warm up

Lots of Snatches (proper not power)

WOD
    In 3 Minutes,
    Run 500m
    Hang Clean (Squat clean not power)
    3 minutes rest
    3 Rounds

Full snatches were interesting. I worked up to 95lbs and started getting the hang of them a bit. Obviously form needs more work but I'm happy enough with them. The WOD was fun, the runs took me (1:40, 1:36 and 1:28). For the hang cleans I used 95lbs and got 6, 5 and 6. I lost one forwards in the second set. Like full snatches, I had never done squat cleans before. Squat cleans I found a bit more difficult. Also I dropped the bar a few times as well out of habit. That cost me a couple of reps I'd say. Fun work out but I could have done much better especially on the run.

Monday Evening

50 Pull ups broken down into sets of between 3 and 5 reps.

This was really tough for me. Really felt it in my lats on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Tuesday Evening

GAA Training

This was really tough, not really any distance running, just a lot of sprints and ball work. Good fun though.

Wednesday Evening

Front Squats 10 x 2 reps @ 70% of 1-rep max
    Rest 75 sec between sets

I'd never done front squats before so started out with just the bar. Was really easy. Went to 95 lbs, was really easy. Went to 135lbs (rough guess at 70% of my 1RM) and chose this as my working weight.This was fine, trainer said my form was really good. According to my physio I have some extra flexibility in my arms and wrists so I guess this helps.

As many rounds as possible in 10 minutes of:
    10 sumo deadlift high pull (75/50#)
    50 ft walking lunges
    10 burpees
    50 ft walking lunges

This was surprisingly difficult, I made it extra difficult by having 85lbs on the bar. I realised this half way though my second set. Finished with 3 rounds and 2 burpees. Did some rolling and stretching. After this I practiced kipping pull ups. Definitely made some progress but needs a lot more work. Enjoyable session

Wednesday Night

Soccer Training, quite a bit of running for once, not what I needed one hour after the gym!

Thursday

Rest :)

This morning

Dynamic Warmup

5 rounds of:

15 Split Cleans (95lbs)
    21 Pull ups

I did the split cleans as prescribed, and did the pull ups with a thin red and thin blue band (not as hard as just a blue but harder then a green). First two sets of pull ups had one stop and the last three had 2 stops. My left hand has two huge rips on it. I noticed these as I was starting round 4. I finished with 23:53. Form on the clean was better, there were more easy reps then hard ones.

Saturday Morning

Soccer Match

Saturday Evening

Gaelic Football Match

Sunday

3 hour Hiking

Monday Evening

Dynamic Warm up

Ring Dips

Was able to do 2 of these in a row, then did 3 assisted (Did this 3 times)

WOD

Run 500m

21-15-9 of
    Knee tucks (was supposed to be toes to bar)
    24" box jumps
    225lb (100kg) Deadlifts

500m run

Really liked this workout. Finished up in 16:32. I am going to do do knees to elbows next time toes to bar comes up probably. Knee tucks seem a bit easy now. Box jumps were really easy. I was making sure that I was getting all of my feet onto the box as well. Deadlifts were tiring but I got through them. The final run was tough but pushed myself to keep a good pace. Did some stretching afterwards. Felt good :)

Tuesday
    GAA Training

Thursday
    Dynamic Warm up
    50 double unders
    21/15/9
    OH Squats
    Pull ups
    50 double unders

Stretching after

This workout was shocking. First set of double unders I got through. I can string about 3 or 4 together before i have to stop. I ended up doing a double under 2 normal and repeating it. I felt like a clown with the overhead squats. I'd never done them before so just did it with the bar. I need a lot of work on these. Pull ups were with a red and blue band. Last set of skipping i just did as single skips but did 200. Did it in 3 sets, 80 something 60 something and 40 something. Did it in about 14 minutes I think. I was too disgusted to even look at the clock after!

This morning
    Every minute on the minute for 30 minutes. If you miss a round just do as many as you can
    40m run
    10 squats
    10 push-ups.

I got through 12 rounds on time, the push-ups were killing me all the time. Everything else was fine. Finished with 25 rounds done total. I really need to get better at doing push ups. Fun workout in amazing weather and it was done outside.

Spent the weekend from Friday until Monday moving. Had a GAA match on Sunday. Was wrecked yesterday.

Today
    Bench
    145lbs x 3 (spotter help on 3rd)
    115 x 5
    4 dead hang pull ups
    115 x 5
    4 dead hang pull ups
    125 x 5
    5 dead hang pull ups
    130 x 5
    5 dead hang pull ups
    132.5 x 5 (touch from spotter on 5th)
    3 dead hang pull ups

1000m row 3:50

Today was alright, my pull ups are definitely getting a lot better. I had to focus on my shoulder position though as my left shoulder is still a bit weird. Was happy with these.

The row was atrocious, the rower i picked rocked backwards and forwards as I went back and forwards and messed with my rythym leaving me with a **** time. Even asked a guy half way through to put some weights in front of it to try stop the rocking but to no avail. I would have been hoping for about 3:20 otherwise. Oh well.

Today

1000m run

Warm up was three round of
    10 second L hangs
    10 Kb swing (16kg)
    3 Kipping attempts
    5 Dead hang pull ups

WOD
    5 rounds of
    100m Farmers Walk (20% body weight in each hand so was 30lbs for me)
    20 Box jumps (24" box)
    20 double unders

Today was a killer on my hands. They were killing me during the warm up so the farmers walks were horrid. I think today was the first work out where I did everything as prescribed. Finished in 16:53. Not great, but happy enough that I was able to do all the double unders. I'm definitely getting better at them. Got some pointers on kipping as well. Hope I can progress at these as well.

• Advertisement

Thursday

GAA Training

Friday

1km run
    Some shoulder stretching
    Warmup:

Double Under Practice, 5:00
    20 burpees
    20 box jumps

"J.T."
    21-15-9 reps of:
    Handstand push-ups
    Ring dips
    Push-ups

21 Handstand Push ups using two green bands (one thick one thin)
    21 Ring Dips using thin red band
    21 Push ups
    15 Handstand push ups using green & thin blue band
    15 Ring Dips using thin red band
    15 Push ups
    9 Inverted push ups on a box
    9 Ring dips thin blue band
    9 Push ups

This was horrible, finished in 20:53 and my arms were like jelly by the end. I think this was the hardest work out I've done since I started crossfit. Delighted I did it though.

Saturday

Soccer Match

Sunday

GAA Match

Today
    Dynamic Warm up
    "Cindy"
    Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
    5 Pull-ups
    10 Push-ups
    15 Squats

Stretching
    Lots of kipping practice

Did two rounds rxed and then did almost 11 with a band. Got to 8 squats. As usual push ups were the hardest for me. I did find them a bit easier then normal though so i'm happy with the improvement. One of the coaches spent about 10 minutes doing some kipping work with me after. I can do them singly quite easily, I just need to concentrate on pushing myself away from the bar at the top to get the swing to keep the momentum. Tomorrow's work out got posted a little early, not looking forward to it :p. It's fran with overhead squats but double the amount of pull ups.

Today

500m Row
    1000m Run

Dynamic Warm up

Hero WOD "Josh"

For time:
    95/65-lb Overhead Squat 21 reps
    42 Pull-ups
    95/65-lb Overhead Squat 15 reps
    30 Pull-ups
    95/65-lb Overhead Squat 9 reps
    18 Pull-ups

I did the Overhead squats at 55lbs and I they were about a million times better then the last time I did them. I'm pretty happy with my form on these now so will progress up with the weights now. I did almost all of the pull ups with a blue band. Ripped my hand open doing pull ups at the start so had to get my hand taped up. Finished in 20:13. Not a great time but i'm happy my overhead squats are progressing nicely.

This was followed by a tough gaelic football training session about an hour later. Legs are heavy now. In the gym tomorrow and then a few days rest

Today Crossfit Total

Back Squat: 245lbs
    Deadlift: 305lbs
    Military Press (Strict) : 120lbs
    Total 670lbs

Starting a strength phase at the crossfit I'm part of on Monday so had to make this work up. Was last Monday's workout. Can't remember my warm up sets for anything and didn't write them down but the totals above were the end product. For squats my form was about a million times better then it was when I was doing 5/3/1. I'm not sure how as I haevn't back squatted since then but it was so much better. I hadn't squatted with weight since the 10th of April so i'm putting the drop in weight (from 275 to 245) down to lack of squatting. Deadlifts were what they were last time i did a 1rm. Was a very ugly rep. Warm up sets were good from a form point of view though. Military Press is up 5 pounds to 120lbs. Should have probably eaten something before the 9 AM session too!

Today

500m Run
    Dynamic Warm up
    Squat 195lb x 5 for 3 sets

WOD
    3 rounds of
    25m Walking Lunges 25lb plate overhead
    25m Run 25lb plate overhead
    25m Burpee broad jump
    25m Sprint

Felt good to be squatting again. Last rep on the second and third sets was a little difficult but was never even close to missing it. Moving up 5 lbs each week for the next few weeks. Form felt really good today. WOD was done in 6:03 those lunges burned come the third set. I need to push myself harder on these WODs.

Tuesday
    GAA Training

Wednesday
    Dynamic Warm up

Military Press
    Warm ups
    45 x 5
    55 x 5
    65 x 5
    75 x 4
    85 x 3
    Work Sets (80% of 1RM)
    95 x 5
    95 x 5
    95 x 5

WOD

21-15-9
    65lb SDHP
    24 Inch Box jumps
    5:03

Military Press was tough, haven't done any volume of these in about 2 months. Time was pretty crap for the WOD. I'm not sure why, usually if something involves a box jump I do quite well.

Thursday

Warm up
    Band pulls
    Shoulder Dislocates

Bench
    Bar x 5
    65 x 5
    85 x 5
    95 x 4
    105 x 3
    125 x 5
    125 x 5
    125 x 5

Followed by GAA Training

Friday
    Dynamic Warm up
    Deadlift
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    185 x 4
    205 x 3
    245 x 5

WOD
    150 Double Unders
    150 Sit ups

Time 17:07

Was supposed to be 245 x 5 for 3 sets but I did my workout at home today. So I had no chalk and the barbell I have rips my hands to pieces. Will make this up over the weekend. Did the WOD in the back yard. I need to shorten my rope and I need to concentrate on keeping my hands in close (ie using wrists more then my arms). Sit ups took longer then the double unders. My ab strength is shocking, need to work on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Molly wrote: »
    Thursday

Warm up
    Band pulls
    Shoulder Dislocates

Bench
    Bar x 5
    65 x 5
    85 x 5
    95 x 4
    105 x 3
    125 x 5
    125 x 5
    125 x 5

Followed by GAA Training

Friday
    Dynamic Warm up
    Deadlift
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    185 x 4
    205 x 3
    245 x 5

WOD
    150 Double Unders
    150 Sit ups

Time 17:07

Was supposed to be 245 x 5 for 3 sets but I did my workout at home today. So I had no chalk and the barbell I have rips my hands to pieces. Will make this up over the weekend. Did the WOD in the back yard. I need to shorten my rope and I need to concentrate on keeping my hands in close (ie using wrists more then my arms). Sit ups took longer then the double unders. My ab strength is shocking, need to work on it

lbs or kg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

You've been logging some savage workouts lately. Keep it up. :D

• Advertisement

Lbs, I wish it was Kgs :p

Saturday
    Soccer Match in horrible heat

Sunday
    GAA Match, lasted 3 minutes before a ridiculous thunderstorm right overhead had the game cancelled

Today
    Quick Warm up
    135lbs x 5
    205lbs x 4
    245lbs x 5
    245lbs x 5
    245lbs x 5

Advertisement