Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you want from your ideal vegetarian/vegan café?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

Femke wrote: »
    :( Even if they did like their meal they kept saying how they don't feel full because there was no meat :(

That sounds strange to me because I never really thought of meat as filling. To me things like pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. fill me. Back years ago when I was on a diet and only had meat and vegetables for dinner I would be starving!!!
    Also, when I cook my meat eating boyfriend a vegetarian lasagne or curry filled with vegetables he would be stuffed after it. We also get stuffed in Cornucopia if we get some of their lentil stuff and salads. He does eat a lot and can get filled on a veggie or meat dinner so it's surprising hearing your friends say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Muffin top

Just wondering about the veggie cafe, are you planning on using organic ingredients? I think it would be better to use local, fresh food instead of shipping in organic stuff thats days old by the time it gets here.

And if you ccould have late opening that'd be just great............with cocktails and spirits.. organic wiine is all well and good but abita variety would be noice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

You guys sure know how to bring a thread off-topic! And 13 pff-topic posts at that! To the Grapevine with you! Poor DonnieScribbles is going to think there was much excitement over her café plans.

Now, back to café suggestions...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Muffin top wrote: »
    Just wondering about the veggie cafe, are you planning on using organic ingredients? I think it would be better to use local, fresh food instead of shipping in organic stuff thats days old by the time it gets here.

And if you ccould have late opening that'd be just great............with cocktails and spirits.. organic wiine is all well and good but abita variety would be noice!

Ideally it would be locally grown. Don't know about organic, would have to look into it a bit more.

Yeah, I was trying to defend the notion of late opening to some people the other day. I'd love to do it, but it may be a tad idealistic!

As a general update on this fanciful plan of mine, the massive obstacles to opening a food business with high rent premises have been making themselves apparent to me. I may have to start small. What I'm aiming towards now is some kind of mobile unit selling a wide range of vegan food at one of Galway's weekend markets. This would establish if people would actually buy what I'd be selling. It may also give me time to find the massive finance needed for start-up capital for a café!

Anyway, the research continues....

• Advertisement

oh, a mobile unit. cool :) good to hear your plans. do you know anyone at the galway market well? have you been able to find out if they make a fair bit of money etc.? Expecially comparing dry and heavy rain days.

No, I don't know anyone who operates at the market :( The one by St. Nicholas' is already saturated with veggie food though, so I'd be more likely to approach the new one in the Eyre Square Centre or the one upstairs at Nimmo's at the Spanish Arch. Plus, they're both indoors so no need to worry about the weather :)

interesting :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Mostly, I would like it to be close to where I live. There is one in Cork, but since I live in Cobh, I rarely get to go there. ;)

Shenshen wrote: »
    Mostly, I would like it to be close to where I live. There is one in Cork, but since I live in Cobh, I rarely get to go there. ;)

Well if I were to do this, it would be in Galway as that's where I'm located! You just need to find a wealthy vegetarian investor in Cobh ;)

Anyway, I did up a survey if anyone would like to take it. I know surveys are nasty things, but I do need the information. Anyway, it's pretty much aimed at Galway people, but I'd welcome any input really.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Q1pBJJ3ZjIhwBmdxg6Tm0A_3d_3d

It's really quick and stupidly simple. Thanks :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

done!

Thanks for the responses so far :)

There's actually a couple of things I could've worded better... Hmmm, I'll leave it as is for now...

'a learning curve', as they say :D

Hee hee...

Tis fun to note, there is a complete disinterest in salad by the takers of this survey! (Anyone who took it before 2 this afternoon may not have got that question, I did a quick edit...)

Everyone wants soup though. Everyone!

For a simple survey it's yielding interesting results. Some omnivores took it too so I'm getting a good scope :)

ah, soup and a sandwich ;) it seems to be a favourite with many.

i don't mind a small salad on the side of a main, but wouldn't go for it as a main; hot food always seems more filling. the last time i bought salad out was at govinda's, but that was because the availability of vegan hot food that appealed to me was slim.

Yeah, you never really crave a salad!
    I made one last week with some leftover butternut squash and it was just too cold (weather-wise) to be appetising! I guess they're best reserved for our brief Irish summers :rolleyes:

Hee hee...

Tis fun to note, there is a complete disinterest in salad by the takers of this survey! (Anyone who took it before 2 this afternoon may not have got that question, I did a quick edit...)

For a simple survey it's yielding interesting results. Some omnivores took it too so I'm getting a good scope :)

Salad was teh only one I removed from teh food list I think, I wanted everythign else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

You might get a different response to the salad in summer though!

Cold dishes like hummus, veg, crackers and dip can be quite filling! And one of the best vegan dishes I've ever had is the veggie platter in the restaurant near my parents house-bread, sundried tomatoes, cous-cous with almonds and raisins, olives, peppers and some other delicious things I can't remember

A well made salad can be yummy. I love sweet salads with raisans or mango's added mmm. I quite like pickled salads too. Beetroot, gherkins, nom, nom, nom.

I'm taking a stand FOR salad.

Just keep the iceberg lettuce away! nasty stuff!:p

• Advertisement

oooh so that's where i'm going wrong. It's like an ephiany in leaf form.

Ye p your salad loving ways immediately turned me off you :p

Hee hee...

I <3 salad. It has to be make with really fresh leaves though.
    Otherwise it is meh.

The Maoz concept where you can stuff a toasted pitta with a selection of salads from the bar...On top of your falafel is appealing.
    There isnt any decent falafel in Galway is there?

There's falafel in the market at the weekend, Gourmet Offensive are the people who do it. Tis pretty good, €5 for a falafel pitta.

The salad actually gained a little bit in popularity there, 6 votes altogether!

Advertisement