Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NASA has announced the time&TV coverage of Lcross impact

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Malty_T wrote: »
    It's the moon, no atmosphere...

There would still be a debris plume regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

A bit of tension in some of the voices there at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

makes no difference, there should still be an impact plume

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Beeker wrote: »
    They are hoping for live footage from the University of Hawaii, 88-inch telescope on Mauna Kea, you could try their web site!

yeah have some bad tilted view of screen there, don't know what im looking at

http://dln.nasa.gov/dln/content/webcast/

when we we see video of the dust cloud? we should have seen it straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

You'll still get debris thrown up. It doesnt need air for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How dusty is Arizona? :p

We'll have to wait for images from the various telescopes ranged on the crash site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

atmosphere has nothing to do with it. you smash things together and bits fly off, even in space :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Anticlimax anyone?! :confused:

but i thought nasa has their other satillite looking live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I think that the second camera on this page is the Hawaii telescope: http://www.mmto.org/lcross/

I didn't see anything happen on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

but i thought nasa has their other satillite looking live

They do but they reckon it'll be another couple of hours before the data is sent back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Scruff wrote: »
    atmosphere has nothing to do with it. you smash things together and bits fly off, even in space :eek:

Yeah but a dust plume is alot harder to see..

Were any space scopes looking at this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Might be wrong but I don't think it went quite as planned. We should have seen the dust and debris from the first impact. There was also a lot of confusion near the end "November or Mick confirm....Yes Mike". strikes me as not as smooth as it should have been.
    Disapointed but lets wait for the results!

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Were any space scopes looking at this?

I read yesterday, Hubble was going to be trained on it. Could be hours/days before we get those pics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Yeah but a dust plume is alot harder to see..

still hasnt anything to do with atmosphere or lack of...
    They had expected that it would be visible with 10" telescopes. This doesnt seem to have been the case. If the cameras on the space craft only a couple of hundred miles and closing couldnt see the plume them there isnt any real hope for small telescoped on earth.
    Maybe some of the other onboard sesnors picked it but, will have to wait and see.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Chap with the beard kept shaking his head, wonder did he know something was not going quite to plan????Attachments

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=18535.0;attach=175914;image

Scruff wrote: »
    still hasnt anything to do with atmosphere or lack of...
    They had expected that it would be visible with 10" telescopes. This doesnt seem to have been the case. If the cameras on the space craft only a couple of hundred miles and closing couldnt see the plume them there isnt any real hope for small telescoped on earth.
    Maybe some of the other onboard sesnors picked it but, will have to wait and see.

:o
    Apologies, I'd just thought from watching it that the dust wouldn't have been that visible, but if they were expecting it to be visible to 10", then we really should have seen something...shoudn't we??:confused:

NASA TV sure ended the coverage very soon after the event. Interesting to see what the news conference will say later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goose2002

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    I read yesterday, Hubble was going to be trained on it. Could be hours/days before we get those pics though.

As far as I know, Hubble cannot be used to observe the moon. Its image sensors are extremely sensitive, so much so that they would be damaged by the brightness of the moon from sunlight. They have to take the moon and the sun into consideration when directing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

News conference at 15.00,should be interesting!

lord lucan wrote: »
    News conference at 15.00,should be interesting!
    Yeah, but lets not forget this is science and you don't always get what you think! Better to have tried and got nothing, then not to have tried at all.
    A number of things could have happened, perhaps the crater was deeper than expected and the plume did not go high enought to be see in sunlight? Moon regolith is very dark afterall and may not have reflected.

Lets wait for the data!

wasn't the indian satillite supposed to have been looking at it but that broke, japanese sat finished too?

joining the stream it wasn't very clear what was happening, i never heard it say now the probe has hit...

goose2002 wrote: »
    As far as I know, Hubble cannot be used to observe the moon. Its image sensors are extremely sensitive, so much so that they would be damaged by the brightness of the moon from sunlight. They have to take the moon and the sun into consideration when directing it.

That's interesting. Never knew that before. You'd expect the Sun to be a no-go area for Hubble alright but I thought the moon would be safe enough.

Anyway, just to prove I'm not going crazy :p, the below quote is taken from this page I read yesterday (not saying it's true necessarily though):
    Observatories expected to participate in the study include the newly refurbished Hubble Space Telescope, Hawaii's Keck and Gemini telescopes, the Magdelena Ridge and Apache Ridge observatories in New Mexico, the MMT Observatory in Arizona and the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) now circling the moon.

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    That's interesting. Never knew that before. You'd expect the Sun to be a no-go area for Hubble alright but I thought the moon would be safe enough.

Anyway, just to prove I'm not going crazy :p, the below quote is taken from this page I read yesterday (not saying it's true necessarily though):
    It was true before that Hubble could not view the moon because of the brightness, but new instruments on board now allow it to do so. Image below was taken by Hubble a while ago of the Taurus-Littrow Valley, the landing site of Apollo 17 in december 1972. Image below it is from Apollo 17 {Not Hubble}
    136332main5image2350.jpg

1230 GMT (8:30 a.m. EDT)
    Astronomers at Palomar Observatory outside of San Diego report they saw no evidence of an impact plume through the 200-inch Hale Telescope. Outfitted with adaptive optics, the telescope has a resolution of about 180 meters per pixel, according to Scott Kardel, the observatory's public information coordinator.

1230 GMT (8:30 a.m. EDT)
    Astronomers at Palomar Observatory outside of San Diego report they saw no evidence of an impact plume through the 200-inch Hale Telescope. Outfitted with adaptive optics, the telescope has a resolution of about 180 meters per pixel, according to Scott Kardel, the observatory's public information coordinator.

Doh! There must have been thousands of disappointed amateurs in their back yards!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goose2002

Beeker wrote: »
    It was true before that Hubble could not view the moon because of the brightness, but new instruments on board now allow it to do so. Image below was taken by Hubble a while ago of the Taurus-Littrow Valley, the landing site of Apollo 17 in december 1972. Image below it is from Apollo 17 {Not Hubble}
    136332main5image2350.jpg

Cool, I didn't know the upgrades allowed it to do that. Sounds excellent. Apologies for doubting you Dr Pepper. Looking forward to what may be seen in these photos then.

Advertisement