Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NASA has announced the time&TV coverage of Lcross impact

Options
  • 07-10-2009 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭

There will be two impacts the Spacecraft and the final stage engine that put it in orbit around the moon.Hopefully the telescope in Hawaii will catch the estimated eight mile dust cloud it will throw up.In Ireland NASA TV coverage will start at 11.15 AM Friday morning with impact scheduled for 12.30 PM.

LCROSS Lunar Impact
    7:31 a.m. EDT/4:31 a.m. PDT
    Friday Oct. 9

An approximately 1.5 hour Live NASA TV Broadcast is planned for the LCROSS impacts starting at 6:15 a.m. EDT/3:15 a.m. PDT, Oct. 9, on NASA TV and www.nasa.gov/ntv.

The broadcast includes:
    • Live footage from spacecraft camera
    • Real-time telemetry based animation
    • Views of LCROSS Mission and Science Operations
    • Broadcast commentary with expert guests
    • Prepared video segments
    • Views of the public impact viewing event at NASA Ames
    • Possible live footage from the University of Hawaii, 88-inch telescope on Mauna Kea.
    The live LCROSS Post-Impact News Conference will be 10 a.m. EDT/7 a.m. PDT on NASA TV and www.nasa.gov/ntv.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Tnx for the update ynotdu ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Stargate wrote: »
    Tnx for the update ynotdu ;)

Your MORE than welcome Stargate,I reckon it will be better than a Carlos Sentana Concert!:pac:

*ynotdu gets removed from stargates christmas card list*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Goddamit I'll be in school

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

ynotdu wrote: »
    LCROSS Lunar Impact
    7:31 a.m. EDT/4:31 a.m. PDT
    Friday Oct. 9

So that's 11:31 UTC which is 12:31 BST.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I'll be in work but will have it on in the background. hope I have a quite day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I read on APOD today that it could be visible in 10"+ scopes. Anybody know/guess if the impact be visible in daylight (i.e. here)? According to Stellarium the moon will be up at 11:30 tomorrow (20 degrees above the horizon in the West). I'd imagine the sunlit dust cloud will be 'washed out' by the daylight for observers here though. :confused:

/ edit - Doh! Make that 12 degrees above the horizon at 12:30

I got a reply to this question over on irishastronomy.org. It seems the only way to see anything from here is on NASA TV! More observing and general LCROSS information is available here and here.

Can't wait to see the pictures & results from this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is there a camera on the nose of this thing?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

mike65 wrote: »
    Is there a camera on the nose of this thing?
    Yeah it has one visible and four near-infared and mid-infared cameras on board. We should see video maybe at a slower rate than normal video as it will be a series of digital still taken at a high rate. At least thats my understanding of it:confused:

Getting good shots of the moon now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Beeker wrote: »
    Getting good shots of the moon now!

Where you getting the shots??:confused:
    All I'm getting is a passionate talk of the mission..
    T - 38 mins

Edit : Nm, I'm only streaming audio :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mission Control is a bit dissapointing to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭aidan18

Unfortunately with all the cloud cover here in Dublin city your not going to see much

mike65 wrote: »
    Mission Control is a bit dissapointing to be honest.
    Well it's not quite a Shuttle mission, thats for sure.

Beeker, what are you watching? I don't seem to be able to get anything on this page:
    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

They might have a limited number of connections to that video stream (which will undoubtedly have been reached by now).

EDIT - Sorry, never mind, just saw subsequent posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

lord lucan wrote: »

Awesome, but weird, I've got video for that one...

Thank you So MUCH!!:D

Malty_T wrote: »
    Awesome, but weird, I've got video for that one...

Thank you So MUCH!!:D

You cant beat technology!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

If you're at home and have sky news active they're showing it on there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

is there no other astronomies streaming what they are seeing i know, nasatv will be best placed but others less good cameras may give context.
    i have the two nasa streams up now, bit better via spaceflightnow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Watching NASA tv on the web. Interesting to see each subsequent image of the surface of the moon get larger as the spacecraft dives in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

is there no other astronomies streaming what they are seeing i know, nasatv will be best placed but others less good cameras may give context.
    i have the two nasa streams up now, bit better

the picture of the moon on the spaceflightNow link is from on board, you won't get better. the link there too is ahead of everything else even the tv

i have the two nasa streams up now, bit better
    They are hoping for live footage from the University of Hawaii, 88-inch telescope on Mauna Kea, you could try their web site!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

60 seconds...!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Impact!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

er....no impact plume?

Scruff wrote: »
    er....no impact plume?

It's the moon, no atmosphere...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

(Silent) BOOM!