Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rich people names

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Rich, Richie, Richard, Dick.

All stupid names if you ask me.
    I believe they are fine names. It's like a usual name, yet not a usual name. People have heard of a Richard before, but not often. People know/have heard a million Johns and Jacks.

Dick! Is there a finer male name? First of all, your male friends call you Dick, immediately women assume that's your nickname because of your robust crotch. It also makes people wonder how "Dick" is another name for Richard. A mystery indeed.
    Richy Rich comes to mind :D
    A silly assumption brought into popular view by a recent popular movie. I know many a Richard from a middle-class society. However, they are fine, well-mannered, fit, strong, intelligent people whom everyone I know loves very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Cheerilee

its not the english names its the makey upey uber irish names you find in the ahem wealthier areas of ireland
    Sneachta and Fuinneog etc etc:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I always wanted to be called Tarquin. It sound utterly protensious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I find its the common names, but the rich don't shorten them like normal folk
    Like Geoffrey for example, a middle class Geoffrey will likely be called 'Jeff' 99.9% of the time, but if he were upper class he would only go by Geoffrey.

Apart from that- Roderick, Aloysius, Rupert, Merideth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

John O'Donoghue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

brummytom wrote: »
    Any double barrelled names sound amazing pretentious.

You can bet your arse anyone with one is a cunt

I'm sure the same could be said if you replaced "double barrelled names" with "English accents" >_>
    Sorry :o
    If it's any consolation, I was meant to have a double-barrelled name, but my dad 'forgot' when he was registering me.

I find names like Charlotte, Emily, Elizabeth etc. to be 'posh people' names

Lol, my name must sound super-posh then, it's one of those "posh" first names, followed by a double-barrelled surname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

triple-M wrote: »
    What about bill gates

Mr. William Gates.....definitely a bit posh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Kelly Jordan-Hamilton

And a family I know, very well off, called their kids Scott and Sophie. Thoughts on those names?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Aifric, Donncha, Fiachra, Fionn, Oisín, Ross, JP! All the posh Gaeilge names

Sorcha, Nigel, Duncan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Aifric, Donncha, Fiachra, Fionn, Oisín, Ross, JP! All the posh Gaeilge names

Sorcha, Nigel, Duncan

Bevan, Bearnach, Beanain ......the Irish names are becoming not so much posh.....more pretentious I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

'John Paul Joyce' ... For crying out loud, who'd call their child 'John Paul' :p

Talk about rich sounding!.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Any double barrelled names sound amazing pretentious.

You can bet your arse anyone with one is a cunt

Or were lucky enough their mother had an idea who the father could of been :confused:

- Drav!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    What about that tool on The Appentice?

Jeez, that could be any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I knew a man whose surname was McGowan-Smyth...what a tit:rolleyes:. His translated name was 'Smyth Smyth'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If anyone asks me what my middle name is I tell them Éamonn as Edward sounds like an arseholes name. I think John Paul is an OK name, obviously popular with catholics.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Lance and Julian, they were the toughest names we had....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

St. John-Stevas, pronounced sinjin-stevaas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

This thread seems to be more about slagging posh english names than names commonly found among wealthy irish people. Some more for the list;

theodore, gordon, basil, felicity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Tbh I think the skanger names are a lot more interesting. Soooo many babies these days being named Britney, Lexus, Mercedes, Christina, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Firstly, I think it's irresponsible to have a double-barrelled name. It is commonly reported that the Chinese are running out of names and here are the wealthy elite hogging two or three - I'm telling Jack O'Connor ...

Secondly, I have a massive issue with the Kerry footballer "Mike-Frank" Russell - Mike is short for Michael and Frank is short for Francis, why the fuck do you shorten your first name only to add another 'shortened' one to lengthen it again. Michael Francis is ok (pretentious and unnecessary, but allowable) Mike is ok, Frank is ok - "Mike Frank" is just retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

jerseyeire wrote: »
    I think John Paul is an OK name, obviously popular with catholics.

and Beatles fans;)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

Rupert Murdoch.

Tara Palmer-Tomkinson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

'John Paul Joyce' ... For crying out loud, who'd call their child 'John Paul' :p

Talk about rich sounding!.

A huge number a children born in the year the pope visited Ireland were named John Paul. I'd consider it a working class name.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Aren't Cornelius and Breffni symbolic Cork and Cavan names, respectively? When this thread comes up in 10 years it'll be all about the skobes calling their sprogs Charlotte and Geoffrey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Darragh Fiachra O'Cleirigh-MacAenghus

Doesn't it just reek of pretension!

Irish names, and lots of them, unless you're from Inis Boffin, sounds like you were born with a whole silver cutlery set in the gob.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

jumpguy wrote: »
    Dick! Is there a finer male name? First of all, your male friends call you Dick, immediately women assume that's your nickname because of your robust crotch. It also makes people wonder how "Dick" is another name for Richard. A mystery indeed.
    Really? May have to start using my middle name more so, (it's dick) combined with my first name it's more innuendo than you can shake a stick at. (First names Mick).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Pace2008 wrote: »
    A huge number a children born in the year the pope visited Ireland were named John Paul. I'd consider it a working class name.

A lot of 30 year olds are called John Paul. It's not fancy or posh in anyway, believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Diamond or pearl,who could ever call a child that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

I would have loved to have gone to a rich peoples school,i'd say role calling in the morning was great craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

muffy wrote: »
    Mr. William Gates.....definitely a bit posh.

And Willy Gates??

Advertisement