Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Brian Lenihan Video Again.

Options
  • 04-10-2009 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭

I had a thread closed because of lack of comment in my OP.

Video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sED3iApAvE

Many posters on previous threads have said Lenihan is correct, they never promised new jobs, only to keep the current ones as best we can.

This link

http://www.fiannafail.ie/news/entry/YestoLisbon/
    Yes to Lisbon, Yes to FDI, Yes to New Jobs

Posted on 21/09/09 by Mary Coughlan

The Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Ms. Mary Coughlan, T.D., today (Tuesday, 22 September 2009) said that the message she has received from the international foreign direct investment community is clear - Ireland’s position and influence within the European Union is a key factor in choosing to locate new job-creating investments here.

The Tánaiste said that a YES vote by the Irish people to the Lisbon Treaty will send a clear signal to potential investors that Ireland is serious about its pitch as the gateway to the EU. She said that a strong YES vote on Friday week would give new impetus to job creation and an export-led recovery.

(my bolding, my italics)

This gives the lie to what Minister Lenihan said and disproves the viewpoints expressed by our yes-side friends.

This is the man who says "Trust me, give me 54 billion and I'll do the right thing."

I don't believe him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

dresden8 wrote: »
    I had a thread closed because of lack of comment in my OP.

Video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sED3iApAvE

Many posters on previous threads have said Lenihan is correct, they never promised new jobs, only to keep the current ones as best we can.

This link

http://www.fiannafail.ie/news/entry/YestoLisbon/

(my bolding, my italics)

This gives the lie to what Minister Lenihan said and disproves the viewpoints expressed by our yes-side friends.

This is the man who says "Trust me, give me 54 billion and I'll do the right thing."

I don't believe him.

firstly i'm glad really happy you didn't go on complaing about bias on the forum for taking down your thread but just posted it again this time with a comment.

truth is, yes for jobs was a faulty slogan. everyone to whom i've spoken to told me this even if they were voting yes. but who knows maybe there will be an agency established in ireland under lisbon bringing jobs...give it a first 100 days after ratification, same time given to new political leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Mario007 wrote: »
    firstly i'm glad really happy you didn't go on complaing about bias on the forum for taking down your thread but just posted it again this time with a comment.

Hey, I'm only a jerk half the time.
    truth is, yes for jobs was a faulty slogan. everyone to whom i've spoken to told me this even if they were voting yes. but who knows maybe there will be an agency established in ireland under lisbon bringing jobs...give it a first 100 days after ratification, same time given to new political leaders.

In the context of this thread though that's irrelevant.

Lenny said it never happened, it plainly did.

It was an untruth, out there for all to see.

On "mature recollection" will he take it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hey, I'm only a jerk half the time.

In the context of this thread though that's irrelevant.

Lenny said it never happened, it plainly did.

It was an untruth, out there for all to see.

On "mature recollection" will he take it back?

Well it is Mary Coughlan.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »

Indeed. The Minister with direct responsibility for job creation, not to mention Tanaiste, and the article comes from the FF website.

Sometimes slagging off the lovely girl from Donegal ain't enough. They can't use her as a lightning rod all the time.

i was just about to use that argument:D

though i was watching czech tv and intel was saying they are reconsidering their position in ireland should lisbon be rejected...so there might some truth behind the jobs claim

• Advertisement

Indeed. The Minister with direct responsibility for job creation, not to mention Tanaiste, and the article comes from the FF website.

Sometimes slagging off the lovely girl from Donegal ain't enough. They can't use her as a lightning rod all the time.

they don't use her as much as she just usually happens to be the lightning rod...

they don't use her as much as she just usually happens to be the lightning rod...

Yup, but Lenny is the one trying to spin a new reality around the Yes vote.

He is an untruth teller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Does he promise jobs in those videos?

Posted on 21/09/09 by Mary Coughlan

The Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Ms. Mary Coughlan, T.D., today (Tuesday, 22 September 2009) said that the message she has received from the international foreign direct investment community is clear - Ireland’s position and influence within the European Union is a key factor in choosing to locate new job-creating investments here.

The Tánaiste said that a YES vote by the Irish people to the Lisbon Treaty will send a clear signal to potential investors that Ireland is serious about its pitch as the gateway to the EU. She said that a strong YES vote on Friday week would give new impetus to job creation and an export-led recovery.

I hope this quote turns out to be true but there was no promise.

Yup, but Lenny is the one trying to spin a new reality around the Yes vote.

He is an untruth teller.

well lenihan is actually not lying, he's just saying his interpretation of things. that mary coughlan thought she will get jobs out there after lisbon is very nice and all i do wish her all the luck as a minister for just this sort of thing, but lenihan hasnt said a thing that would go against line of thinking.

In fairness what she says may be true. Only way we'd know is comparing a No and Yes and we can't really do that.

Will that mean a Yes will increase employment and reduce unemployment? We might know that in 3/4 years time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

well lenihan is actually not lying, he's just saying his interpretation of things. that mary coughlan thought she will get jobs out there after lisbon is very nice and all i do wish her all the luck as a minister for just this sort of thing, but lenihan hasnt said a thing that would go against line of thinking.

To quote Minister Lenny
    "....the referendum was presented as a job creation program, that is simply not correct"

Jeez, did anybody listen to the link?

Did anybody read the quote?

Maybe in a post Lisbon world denial is a river in Egypt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

it realy is hard being right all the time:rolleyes:

To quote Minister Lenny
    "....the referendum was presented as a job creation program, that is simply not correct"

I can't speak for everyone but I didn't vote yes for jobs and my friends and family didn't votes yes for jobs. But they are hoping that some new jobs might come out of the yes vote.

And hopefully there will be lots of job created. I don't remember seeing anyone claiming that the reason to vote yes to Lisbon was for jobs, it was just one consideration.

The main reason I voted Yes to Lisbon was the reforms to the EU.

To quote Minister Lenny

it's very hard to argue here since i think the jobs thing is just horsecrap really, but how are we to know that lisbon wont bring in new jobs? as i said in another thread give it a 100 days before we can see the results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Dresden, you are absolutely correct. Lenihan is blatantly lying. It couldn't be more obvious! It is ridiculous to continue to deny it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Did anybody actually believe in "Yes for Jobs."

The Raven. wrote: »
    Dresden, you are absolutely correct. Lenihan is blatantly lying. It couldn't be more obvious! It is ridiculous to continue to deny it.

Now this is going to be a funny one for me as I can't tolerate Lenihan. Anyhow... where exactly did he lie about job creation?
    PaulieD wrote: »
    Did anybody actually believe in "Yes for Jobs."
    It might and hopefully will happen. I just don't know anyone who used that as the main reason to vote Yes.

To quote Minister Lenny

But FG and Labour campaigned on this line too.

She could be right and we get 100,000 jobs from FDI but we could lose 200,000 to FDI in other countries.

Will a Yes help? Probably a little more than a No.

The fact is jobs are our in our own hands. We are now facing the problem that we are a relatively rich country, even now and we need all the help we can get to keep jobs.

But FG and Labour campaigned on this line too.

She could be right and we get 100,000 jobs from FDI but we could lose 200,000 to FDI in other countries.

Will a Yes help? Probably a little more than a No.

The fact is jobs are our in our own hands. We are now facing the problem that we are a relatively rich country, even now and we need all the help we can get to keep jobs.

That is not the point.

Lenny is telling untruths because he knows he can't deliver what his party in an official press release promised.

He is spinning a web of deceit. It does not matter whether you or anybody else believed it in the first place, he is spinning.

And he is caught out.

That is not the point.

Lenny is telling untruths because he knows he can't deliver what his party in an official press release promised.

He is spinning a web of deceit. It does not matter whether you or anybody else believed it in the first place, he is spinning.

And he is caught out.

But where did he promise jobs? I hate to defend the guy as I really don't like him. They played the game well with their vague slogans about things that could or might happen. And maybe they will, I hope so for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

meglome wrote: »
    It might and hopefully will happen. I just don't know anyone who used that as the main reason to vote Yes.

It will not happen. An awful lot of people claimed they voted "Yes for Jobs" when RTE asked them how they voted.

PaulieD wrote: »
    It will not happen. An awful lot of people claimed they voted "Yes for Jobs" when RTE asked them how they voted.

And as I keep saying we might well get those jobs. But what might happen and what will happen are two different things.

meglome wrote: »
    And as I keep saying we might well get those jobs. But what might happen and what will happen are two different things.

am maybe coughlan was right.... Jobs

am maybe coughlan was right.... Jobs

Well she's bound to get it right at least once :)

Logically, even Coughlan and FF/FG/Labour aren't going to support something that isn't going to create jobs.

Might as well employ No side logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

The government lied to the people, I am surprised people are still surprised about this at this stage.

Mrmoe wrote: »
    The government lied to the people, I am surprised people are still surprised about this at this stage.

That isn't what this is about.

This is a politically opportunistic thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 odoylerulez

I think people know politicans lie. Its part of the job. But now see whats happening is they have become so arrogant and self assured they no longer leave a 'time frame' for the lie to pass. He was quoted saying this in the counting centre. So he didn't leave a week or so pass off before he said this. This is only the begining of things to come.

That isn't what this is about.

This is a politically opportunistic thread.

It is. Lenihan gave us the opportunity to catch him lying.

We caught him.

• Advertisement

Mrmoe wrote: »

What surprises me is that people still refuse to believe what their eyes see and what their ears hear.

Bizarre in the extreme.

Advertisement