Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Result of The Referendum is looking like a YES

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

junkyard wrote: »
    i'm glad I don't live there anymore, so much for the fighting Irish.:rolleyes:

fighting irish? times got tough and you left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

If the yes side win it will probably be the biggest mistake the people of Ireland will ever make, i'm glad I don't live there anymore, so much for the fighting Irish.:rolleyes:

We're glad you dont live here also.

And you're right, the dissapearence of our reputation as drunken and beligerent roustabouts is a serious blot on our national character.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Anyway a yes vote was inevitable, we're a stupid electorate.

So I assume this applied last time?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Donegal still says no !

cos the only things we've got are cos of europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

K-9 wrote: »
    So I assume this applied last time?

No, last time the electorate were brave voices for democracy, alone in the wilderness, surrounded by the vicious wolves of the Euro elite. They weren't fooled by the lies of the Yes-men, not one bit. Just like in 1916, when we also voted no to Lisbon, or Nice or something.

This time though, they were bullied into the vote, or became cowards, or are just dumb.

Funny how perception of the entire electorate changes based on one's own voting preferences eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If the yes side win it will probably be the biggest mistake the people of Ireland will ever make, i'm glad I don't live there anymore, so much for the fighting Irish.:rolleyes:

What do the Notre Dame Football Team have to do with Lisbon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

had to be something in for it if intel/ryanair wanted people to vote yes,specially debates coming from the no side about the legal use of cheap labour seems possible i.e like time argos flew in workers from england when irish staff went on strike,i belive it one because the gov here is useless when comes to workers rights unlike the german goverment who made the buyers of opel keep most jobs in germany along with its funding...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Funny how perception of the entire electorate changes based on one's own voting preferences eh?
    Given how the electorate appears to have gained several IQ points and an expert knowledge of a complex treaty document and a sensitive detector for bovine excrement in the last year, at least according to yes posters here, it would appear you are correct.

Personally, I think Martin Ferris nailed it, though to be fair, he is rather an expert in the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

13:43

295,497 YES

161,634 NO

458,949 polled

so far only Donegal fell for the lies :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    so far only Donegal fell for the lies :eek:

I think a lot more people than that did. Or do you think that the 'Yes' campaign ('Ruin that way, Recovery this way' lol) played fair at any stage?

Whether we voted for the right thing or not only time will tell but no matter what way you voted for, if you based your opinion on the 'campaigns' you fell for lies.

Yes or No, right or wrong, nobody knows for certain yet. But neither side can claim the moral high ground for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Sparks wrote: »
    Given how the electorate appears to have gained several IQ points and an expert knowledge of a complex treaty document and a sensitive detector for bovine excrement in the last year, at least according to yes posters here, it would appear you are correct.

I'd imagine it's far more likely down to a combination of the Yes side actually running a campaign this time round, Cóir and Libertas going all out with some of the most blatant lies imaginable and shooting themselves in the foot (I was surprised by how annoyed people I know were with some of their posters, who wouldn't usually be politically minded but said it helped them decide), and a willingness by the Yes side to sink to the same level at times, albeit with a less direct "economic recovery" theme.

A fair amount of mud slinging and questionable tactics.

Fighting fire with fire, or a sad case of reasoned debate sinking amid hysteria?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭getonyourboots

Ah yes, Greedy Paddy voting with his pocket again. The irony is this treaty won't create a single job or in any way lead to economic recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

Brian Lehinan interview on RTE this morning in a counting centre. RTE presenter asked him,

"Was it the promise of jobs that swung the vote to a Yes". Lenihan "We never promised

jobs as a result of a Yes vote.''

All those who voted Yes for jobs, there's your answer.

PS. Sorry there's no link but I'm sure you'll hear it later.

Congrats to the Yes side anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

It's looking like a surprisingly strong yes...

An electorate that you are part of. Think you're special? I've voted to kick FF out in the last couple of elections, and the electorate did not agree. I think they may be variously afraid of change, or apathetic towards politics, but mostly I just think they were wrong. I don't think they're stupid, I'm just not that arrogant.

Coir were stupid and Libertas were stupid. Even if the Yes side hadn't stepped up, the very obvious scaremongering of some of these No side groups might well have swung a Yes. They gave it to us on a silver platter. Coir in particular. Clowns.

I'm not special by any means. Just a bit less stupid than your average Irish voter.

I agree that the No campaign stupid, itwas absolutely cringeworthy, but the fact of the matter is the Irish population is too stupid / lazy to bother learning about the treaty and understanding how it will work and what we lose as a result of it. Both sides simply had to come up with catchy soundbites to capture the imagination.

The Yes side constructed a clever campaign based on a mixture of scaremongering and false hope. It was almost US Republican like.

Fair play to them. They won.

But we're all losers because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Pfft does anyone actually believe the yes for jobs line?

It may help secure investment as now Europe knows its structure and nothing makes someone think twice more than fear, uncertainty and doubt but it isn't like jobs were guaranteed with it.

I don't think anyone said that, they were implying it will help make the country and Europe appear more politically stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I'm not special by any means. Just a bit less stupid than your average Irish voter.

I agree that the No campaign stupid, itwas absolutely cringeworthy, but the fact of the matter is the Irish population is too stupid / lazy to bother learning about the treaty and understanding how it will work and what we lose as a result of it. Both sides simply had to come up with catchy soundbites to capture the imagination.

The Yes side constructed a clever campaign based on a mixture of scaremongering and false hope. It was almost US Republican like.

Fair play to them. They won.

But we're all losers because of it.

Please don't make general comments like that, it's grossly innacurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Looks like Biffo got what he wanted.

Prepare to be RODE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

thebman wrote: »
    Pfft does anyone actually believe the yes for jobs line?

It may help secure investment as now Europe knows its structure and nothing makes someone think twice more than fear, uncertainty and doubt but it isn't like jobs were guaranteed with it.

I don't think anyone said that, they were implying it will help make the country and Europe appear more politically stable.

on the jobs front there. yes it does mean more companies can come to Ireland BUT it also means companies in ireland have a lot more freedom to move around europe !!!

so as a result there WE CAN LOSE JOBS TOO

its 50/50, we will never know !

to everybody who is saying "we need europe !" we are already in Europe ! they cant kick us out for voting no !

also another point.

we SHOULD have another vote, why ? because the first time the no vote won, this time its looking like the yes vote is going to win.

it should be fair and it should now be the best out of 3 !

to everybody who voted yes. you voted the same as biffo himself,

you really didnt do us any favors there, the result will be bad, THE EU wanted it for a reason.

just to add in here, dell lost jobs last year or the start of this year and moved some operations to a foreign land, with this lisbon treaty they can now move out completely and a lot more jobs will be gone !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

How condescending, and downright insulting this post is.

I voted Yes - not because I was scared into it and not because I was lazy.

I did my research and educated myself, and in the end the positive aspects of Lisbon far outweighed the negative. I also considered how EU membership has benifited Ireland over the years (not just in a monetory sense), and I don't believe its a big bad organisation trying to take away our freedom! I fully believe we live in a fairer society because of the EU.

The EU has earned my trust, and that of many other Irish citizens.

I guess that makes me stupid though, because I don't agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Looks like Biffo got what he wanted.

Prepare to be RODE

Biffo and the vast majority of the Irish electorate got what they wanted. Almost seems like democracy in action.

Biffo will be gone soon enough (thankfully) and we'll still have the benefits of this treaty.

And in case you hadn't noticed we're already being rode and it's got nothing whatsoever to do with the Lisbon treaty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭USE

If Ireland says "yes" to the Lisbon Treaty in a national referendum held Friday, Polish President Lech Kaczynski will sign it on behalf of Poland in the middle of next week, Dziennik Gazeta Prawna daily reported on Friday, quoting presidential minister Pawel Wypych.
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-10/03/content_12175466.htm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Patricia McKenna said: 'Fears and insecurities of voters were skilfully tapped into by an illegally over-funded Yes campaign.'

My response too her would be prove it beyond doubt or GTFO like Mr Ganley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

dixiefly wrote: »
    Listening further on the radio - It's All Over!

Limerick, Kerry etc. Areas that were NO before. All coming in YES. More Dublin areas going YES.

The YES side have it

I would say it could go to 60-64% YES.

My prediction at 10am looked to be a high YES at the time but turned out to be on the low side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

the fact of the matter is the Irish population is too stupid / lazy to bother learning about the treaty and understanding how it will work and what we lose as a result of it. Both sides simply had to come up with catchy soundbites to capture the imagination.

I would argue that there is an element in the general public that are too lazy (not stupid) to learn about the treaty and make an informed decision either way. I'm not lambasting yes or no voters. However, I've heard people giving spurious reasons for voting yes and no, reasons that were nothing to do with the detail of the treaty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I expected turn out to be above 60% TBH. Even people I know who never vote, voted.

Only two people I know didn't vote. They said they'd be one yes and one no so they canceled each other out I guess :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NYCatcher

I was totally bowled over and delighted by the 67% Yes vote.

I thought it'd be a lot closer to be honest.

Advertisement