Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the No side conceding defeat?

Options
  • 03-10-2009 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭

Before a vote is counted, there seems to be a current on these boards for a Yes victory.

Are No voters ready to concede defeat, or am I going to be kicking myself later this afternoon for my useless 'tapping into the zeitgeist' skills?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I concede defeat =)

It could have been a cleaner fight, the managers threw the towel in too early imo

1.84 etc... ffs.. more damage than good :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

dvpower wrote: »
    Before a vote is counted, there seems to be a current on these boards for a Yes victory.

Are No voters ready to concede defeat, or am I going to be kicking myself later this afternoon for my useless 'tapping into the zeitgeist' skills?

Last time I checked a vote hadn't been counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I conceded defeat weeks ago. The result will be/is obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

I'll have some laugh if it turns out to be no... with all these "No: sore losers" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'll have some laugh if it turns out to be no... with all these "No: sore losers" etc.

:confused: Who said that here?

All will be revealed tomorrow evening. Still too close to call IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Are No voters ready to concede defeat
    Nice to see that it's not a mature way to decide on our political future, but a national penis measuring event. Way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    :confused: Who said that here?

All will be revealed tomorrow evening. Still too close to call IMO.

Sorry, its all over P.ie.
    Just sad eejits doing the rounds

Anyway; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMBDYOVYZRQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

No point worrying about it now. Just kick back and wait for the result!

I'm just glad it's all over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Sparks wrote: »
    Nice to see that it's not a mature way to decide on our political future, but a national penis measuring event. Way to go.
    +1, it's been very noticeable that a lot of the debate on this has been more about getting one over on the other side than actually focusing on the treaty and what's best for the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

its widely acknoweldged that the expected outcome is a yes vote. But why would the no side concede defeat? The vote counting begins tomorrow, lets see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Sparks wrote: »

I'll take that as a concession.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I assume it will be a yes disappointingly, the no campaign was run very poorly unfortunatly........

should be close either way and we might get a surprise tomorrow but all signs point to a yes vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

treaty cant come into force until ratified by all countries so theres a bit to go yet for the yes men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭thecornerboy

stevenmu wrote: »
    +1, it's been very noticeable that a lot of the debate on this has been more about getting one over on the other side than actually focusing on the treaty and what's best for the country.

The religious fervour on the Yes side is interesting. Even a well written article by a respected journalist, Tom McGurk, was shouted down with slander on here.

The debates on Radio Lisbon...I mean RTÉ...disappointed me. There was no debate in a quiet room where two learned protagonists poured over the Treaty and had it out bit by bit. I didn't see any attempts by an ostensibly objective commentator to come to any conclusions about Lisbon (you could get commentators going both ways but the interesting thing would be to see how they approached the thing rationally). You can do something similar by having one from each side bash each other over the head with rolling pins for 10 minutes but it's not quite the same thing.

It was business as usual in these "debates" with a lot of talking out of turn. It was the usual point scoring boxing matches.

Before a vote is counted...

jhegarty wrote: »
    Last time I checked a vote hadn't been counted.

Glad to help.

The religious fervour on the Yes side is interesting. .

(blah blah blah ..... .... ..... ...... ...)
    It was the usual point scoring boxing matches.

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Dictatorship http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictatorship has won,its a yes this time and there will be no re run

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

It does look ominous for the No side. This whole campaign was a farce. It was all based on fear. Fear of conscription, fear of abortion, fear of unemployment, fear of poverty, fear of exclusion from the EU, fear of p*ssing off Brussels, the list is endless. One thing is clear in all this, neither side has covered themselves in glory.

Dictatorship has won,its a yes this time and there will be no re run

ah look as a fellow no voter i feel i have to intervene here, yes its a pain in the hole that we had to vote again, of course it feels like an insult to the 800,000+ thousand people who voted no the last time and were just told, ah you didnt really mean it!

but the fact is that the irish people will have the say on this in a democratic fashion and if as is feared the yes vote prevails then i will stand by it as it is the will of the majority of the voters in a democratic fashion, you will have to stand by it aswell even if you dont like it, and trust me. i really dont like it!

PaulieD wrote: »
    It does look ominous for the No side. This whole campaign was a farce. It was all based on fear. Fear of conscription, fear of abortion, fear of unemployment, fear of poverty, fear of exclusion from the EU, fear of p*ssing off Brussels, the list is endless. One thing is clear in all this, neither side has covered themselves in glory.

this is one of the most intelligent statements to be made about this referendum

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    ah look as a fellow no voter i feel i have to intervene here, yes its a pain in the hole that we had to vote again, of course it feels like an insult to the 800,000+ thousand people who voted no the last time and were just told, ah you didnt really mean it!

but the fact is that the irish people will have the say on this in a democratic fashion and if s s feared the yes vote prevails then i will stand by it as it is the will of the majority of the voters in a democratic election, you will have to stand by it aswell even if you dont like it, and trust me. i really dont like it!
    The reality remains the same,give us the answer we want.

i understand your point but they didnt force anyone to vote yes, they ran a campaign based mainly on fear and if the no side had run a better campaign, it was also run primarliy on trying to scare people, we might have got the result we wanted.

a democratic vote does not constitute dictatorship......there is no harm in voting, if we had been asked to vote 25 times the irish people would have had the right to decide the outcome 25 times, the voting process is democratic.

like i already said, it was a pain in the hole to have to vote again but that is a democracy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

The reality is the No campaign in Lisbon I was based on lies. Get guarentees from the other EU states that the lies really are lies and "Hey, Presto", the reasons a lot of voters voted No disappear who then turn around and vote Yes in Lisbon II.

The fact that the No campaign had to resort to fabricating stuff about the Treaty in the first place indicates that they knew in advance that had they argued against the Treaty based on what was really in it, they'd have lost Lisbon I.

View wrote: »
    The reality is the No campaign in Lisbon I was based on lies. Get guarentees from the other EU states that the lies really are lies and "Hey, Presto", the reasons a lot of voters voted No disappear who then turn around and vote Yes in Lisbon II.

The fact that the No campaign had to resort to fabricating stuff about the Treaty in the first place indicates that they knew in advance that had they argued against the Treaty based on what was really in it, they'd have lost Lisbon I.

This is laughable. Yes for jobs? Yes for economic recovery?:rolleyes:

I'm not sure about this saying but it goes eaten pie soon forgotten but in this case we have to live with the pie forever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

I'm not sure about this saying but it goes eaten pie soon forgotten but in this case we have to live with the pie forever

Actually we don't. If we decide in future we don't like the "pie", we can either try to change the part of the "pie" we don't like by persuading the other member states, or, should that fail, we can opt to do without the "pie" - i.e. leave the EU. And lest it be forgotten, one of Lisbon's change is to make it easier to leave the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bkelly86

This is gonna make Irish people look so stupid first nice we say no then yes and now Lisbon again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Actually we don't. If we decide in future we don't like the "pie", we can either try to change the part of the "pie" we don't like by persuading the other member states, or, should that fail, we can opt to do without the "pie" - i.e. leave the EU. And lest it be forgotten, one of Lisbon's change is to make it easier to leave the EU.

Note, however, that trying to change part of the pie involves paying attention to the EU between referendums.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

bkelly86 wrote: »
    This is gonna make Irish people look so stupid first nice we say no then yes and now Lisbon again.

It is not over yet, bkelly. Not a ballot has been counted. Remember, we are going on FF and FG exit polls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I voted No this time, as I did last time; which turned out to be a waste of time.
    It's been clear for a while this vote would result in a Yes.
    Some of those advocating a Yes on here deserve a lot of credit in that they tried to allay fears rather than propagate them.
    It will be a Yes, however, due to the populace being scared stiff over the consequences of voting No; so some of you shouldn't pat yourselves on the back too hard.
    I have grave misgivings about this treaty; having a stake in the future of this country, i genuinely hope that they are unfounded.

Advertisement