Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unofficial Dublin Central Exit Poll

Options
  • 02-10-2009 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hello,
    I was at Scoil Mhuire polling station in Dublin Central today, around the corner taxi drivers were causing mahem for the second day running on O'Connell street. Anyhoo I was bored and thought I'd do an exit poll of people passing by.

I carried out a limited exit poll. I am not a Lisbon campaigner*.
    The question was:

How did you vote? Yes or No or spoiled vote.

27 voters 10:30 - 14:00 Marlborough Street, Scoil Mhuire

15 respondents voted yes, 9 voted no, 3 spoiled votes. .

17 were female, 10 male

Most of them were over 40 years of age.
    Later I returned and asked another 45 people about how they voted.
    45 people surveyed.

5 spoiled votes (mostly male - one of them said it was a protest against the govt.)

14 no votes,

26 yes votes,

I think I asked around 30 females (sorry 'bout gender imbalance, it's easier to approach females).

majority of people questioned were 18-40 years of age.
    I tried posting this poll over on p.ie and barely got away with the skin on my behind.
    Anyway, I know it's totally unscientific and non-representative but what do you guys think?

* I reserve the right to rail against UKIP scaremongery in Ireland.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Where you one hundred metres away from the polling station?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This carries about as much weight as...well.. something very light indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

so you got yes or no from 40 people from one single district? what is even the point of this? proves nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I think I asked around 30 females (sorry 'bout gender imbalance, it's easier to approach females)

So is polling a new way to pick up the ladies eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 _nemesis_

PaulieD wrote: »
    Where you one hundred metres away from the polling station?

I think so yes. I did however go into the polling station to ask if it was allowed outside - staff and Garda said it was fine.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

LOL;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

_nemesis_ wrote: »
    I think so yes. I did however go into the polling station to ask if it was allowed outside - staff and Garda said it was fine.

Good man. I hope you enjoyed your day out.

utick wrote: »
    so you got yes or no from 40 people from one single district? what is even the point of this? proves nothing

I'm not trying to prove anything,
    I just thought the info would be interesting.

I'm going back in ten minutes to ask a few more people.

PaulieD wrote: »
    Good man. I hope you enjoyed your day out.

Wasn't a day out, I was working, finished early.

This carries about as much weight as...well.. something very light indeed

Fair enough,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

It is a vital progression in relations between a man and a woman...but not sure about initiating it as a first step.

I wouldnt mind a night of mad rough sex after this whole bloody affair myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Did you hear them laugh when you walked away :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

It really would take an EU Treaty campaign atomosphere for someone to go out of their way and do a exit poll only to have most of the replys giving out about that. OP: interesting, it never occurred to me to do my own exit poll! Although I do have a life :p

What sort of socio-economic area is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

thats some chatup line, "so what do you think of this abortion craic"

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wow, you can in for some harsh comments over on politics.ie even after explaining yourself several times.

Now admit it, you were doing this as excuse to approach and chat up women :cool:

Wait for Blitzkrieg to announce plans for a Boards Beers tomorrow night, in the same vein after the Local elections ;)

is it just me or has alot of tension been lifted here on polling day?

I took a quick glance over on p.ie and its still mad with updates on double voting and people being denied voting.

Yet here by nine o clock the atmosphere has seriously calmed down. Mellow even.

turgon wrote: »
    Wait for Blitzkrieg to announce plans for a Boards Beers tomorrow night, in the same vein after the Local elections ;)

tempting but no one took it up last time, and after saying I would violently f*ck the hole of something to purge all the pent up pressure of the campaign will probably put alot more people off such an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It is a vital progression in relations between a man and a woman...but not sure about initiating it as a first step.

I still don't ask Herself how she votes (although we agree on a lot of things, including general political perspective, and I am fairly sure that she votes much in the same way I do).

hello again,
    I'm just back from Marlborough st.

Only 12 people would talk to me (I was hoping for 20 respondents) which is not surprising as it's a very dodgy area at this time.
    One gentleman told me to f*ck off and mind my own business (maybe he was from p.ie).

8 said yes
    4 said no

I couldn't make the age demographic; all voters were male.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Apparently there are going to be real results tomorrow - honestly; it'll save you a pile of trouble.

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    thats some chatup line, "so what do you think of this abortion craic"

:eek:

:D I thought about it with one girl, but I chickened out :(

lol, this day has been a real reckoning for my shyness issues, that's for sure. Win win.

Saturday night will be fun night :D
    Did you hear them laugh when you walked away :pac:

Nope. pretty sure one octagenarian came on to me tho, euwww.:(
    turgon wrote: »
    It really would take an EU Treaty campaign atomosphere for someone to go out of their way and do a exit poll only to have most of the replys giving out about that. OP: interesting, it never occurred to me to do my own exit poll! Although I do have a life :p
    What sort of socio-economic area is it?

me too I just wanted to know what was going on in my area, to a certain extent I do. Besides I finished work at 11 so I was already paid. result.
    mikemac wrote: »
    Wow, you can in for some harsh comments over on politics.ie even after explaining yourself several times.
    Now admit it, you were doing this as excuse to approach and chat up women :cool:

I did meet a real beauty after 5. I didn't have the sac to ask her number, I know where she works tho :D:D:D (I am not a stalker, she told me...willingly).
    I still don't ask Herself how she votes (although we agree on a lot of things, including general political perspective, and I am fairly sure that she votes much in the same way I do).

So how did you vote, or is that off limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... So how did you vote, or is that off limits.

Yes.

me too I just wanted to know what was going on in my area, to a certain extent I do. Besides I finished work at 11 so I was already paid. result.

Clearly a member of the EU Elite :D
    tempting but no one took it up last time, and after saying I would violently f*ck the hole of something to purge all the pent up pressure of the campaign will probably put alot more people off such an idea.

:D

I would have taken you up last time but Im aware you study in Dublin and Im still in the nest here in Cork.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Yes.
    What beautiful ambiguity! Well played, sir. :)

Yes.

Yes, its off limits.

Yes, I voted "yes".:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yes, its off limits.

Presume that was what he was getting at, but thanks for spelling it out for us :pac:

Dave! wrote: »
    Presume that was what he was getting at, but thanks for spelling it out for us :pac:

I'd like to take the liberty of clarifying that DAVE! was being gently sarcastic in the above post.

He wasn't really thanking me.

Regards,

Jeremiah 16:1:D

Yes.

Good for you :) There seems to be a significant majority voting yes to Lisbon.

I've got my fancy-dress costume picked out. :d

http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/borat_cannes_21.jpg

• Advertisement

Yes, its off limits.

yes. I said yes, oh yes, yes we can, yes.

Advertisement