Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before you all leave: the awards nominations

Options
  • 02-10-2009 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

Discussions here were generally short on statistics (and many of the supposed statistics were lies) but we had no shortage of lies and damn lies. So I propose that we give due recognition to the various types of lie to which we have been subjected by picking out the winners in various categories.

My nominations are:
    Most effective lie: "Minimum Wage €1.84"
    Cleverest lie: "The treaty is self-amending."
    Most unbelievable lie: "I was going to vote yes, but ..."
    Best lie about lying: "They said that if we voted No we would be thrown out of the EU."
    Most desperate lie: "The guarantees are worthless"
    [In each case, variants are deemed to be subsumed into the exemplar chosen for nomination.]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Yes for jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Most stupid lie: "Irish Democracy 1916-2009"

/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I definitely remember one poster proclaiming that the Irish Constitution wouldn't exist anymore if we voted yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Most disturbing picture: That libertas poster with the crying ultra green eyed child.

• Advertisement

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Most disturbing picture: That libertas poster with the crying ultra green eyed child.

Just left me wondering what the hell Declan Ganley did to her to get that pose.

in case anyone is wondering

lizard eye girl, quite fitting i think

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Most widespread lie: "NO MEANS NO" - sounds all well and good but when you scratch the surface you find that no only means no when they disagree with the issue. Otherwise it's "NO MEANS WAIT AN ARBITRARY AMOUNT OF TIME BEFORE ASKING AGAIN". Not quite as catchy.

Most irritating lie: "yes voters think no voters are all stupid idiots who shouldn't be allowed to vote" (or similar). It has zero grounding in reality yet a comment like that is all it takes to gain a plethora of thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    in case anyone is wondering

lizard eye girl, quite fitting i think

;)

I must confess, I first saw it when you posted it here, and wasn't sure if it was a joke poster or not. Then I saw it up around Dublin :eek:

What is it, some right wing parties vision of what Irish people look like, weird green eyes and kind of red hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Yes for Economic Recovery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

MikeC101 wrote: »
    What is it, some right wing parties vision of what Irish people look like, weird green eyes and kind of red hair?

Thats what I look like! :eek:

Did you notice the 'European Democracy' girl's eyes were blue, and the 'Irish Democracy' girl's eyes were green? Nice little touch there.

I was gobsmacked when I first saw those posters. 'Vote No or the cute little girl gets it!'

And the fact that they got the dates wrong....unbelieveable. Irish Democracy 1916? European democracy 1945? wtf?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Staying at "the heart of Europe"
    Yes For Recovery
    Yes For Jobs
    Everything Jim Coir Said
    'Choose Workers Rights' (Generation Yes Trainspotting)
    €1.84 An Hour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Did Libertas ever explain what the theory behind the Lizard Girl posters was?

In fairness to Coir, nutty as their posters were at least they gave an explanation on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

HELLO TURKEY? NO WAY!

(Could be wrong I'm just amused by it)
    In fairness to Coir, nutty as their posters were at least they gave an explanation on the website.

They handed me a leaflet explaining it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Declan Ganley referring to the EU "unelected elites". May not be one of the worst lies of the campaign but certainly the most hypocritical.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Declan Ganley referring to the EU "unelected elites". May not be one of the worst lies of the campaign but certainly the most hypocritical.

The Commission is unelected....

And it is the legislative elite of the EU.

Why am I wasting my breath?

E1.84 sounded much better on Coir's website (take a look, it's long-winded but mildly compelling!)

Worst 'no' side poster by a county mile though.

I think Liberal should get the prize for worst 'yes' side posters (who are they?)

Yes and the City.
    Give yourself a treaty
    :D

dont you find it ironic that Lisbon 1 would have reduced the size of this useless EU organ?

and thanks to Ganley the likes of McGravy :D get to keep their jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Em, where did you get that idea? Its elected by the council of ministers, as well as approved by the Euro Parl. You cant just make up facts to suit you.

turgon wrote: »
    You cant just make up facts to suit you.

a characteristic trait of the NO campaign i say

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

biggest crock:
    Anything mary lou sais

head snake oil salesman:
    ganley

I think Liberal should get the prize for worst 'yes' side posters (who are they?)

Yes and the City.
    Give yourself a treaty
    :D

Agreed, those posters were pretty groan inducing tbh. I am still amazed at the ineptitude of the various Yes campaigns. The most effective 'No' posters appeared to reference actual facts (Minimum wage €1.84, Fisheries €200 billion, Voting Weight 0.8%), rather than the wishy-washy generalities of the majority of Yes posters. I can count on one hand the Yes posters that actually referenced concrete outcomes of the treaty (Keep Our Commissioner, the Green's Climate Change one....I'm sure there are a couple more.)

Maybe they should have worked harder on snappy posters referencing benefits of the actual treaty:

The EU LOVES Transparency
    The EU LOVES Human Rights
    These People DIED for your FREEDOM, but they would see the benefits of pooling some of your sovereignty for the mutual benefit of you and neighbouring countries!!!!

Maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

YES! It's finally over!

I'd give my nomination for most amusing lie to 'Tony Blair will be president of Europe!'

My personal favourite though is 'More wages for the elites; less wages for you.' You can't make this shit up (well obviously Cóir can).

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

best statement:
    vote yes to piss off shinn fein and declan ganley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

"I believe that the ratification of Lisbon will consolidate Ireland's place at the heart of Europe help lead us down the path of economic recovery."

Airheads who come out with crap like this are the same kind we have to rely on for Ireland's future, we're all fooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Most damaging lie: "Minimum wage will become €1.84"

Most sucessfull lie: "Yes for jobs, Yes for economic recovery"

Biggest winner of the night: Fianne Fail

Biggest loser of the night: David Cameron, who will find it a bit lonely going it alone in trying to re-ratify it by referendum next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Biggest winner of the night: Fianne Fail

They will still be given the boot next GE. What have they won? :confused:
    Biggest loser of the night: David Cameron, who will find it a bit lonely going it alone in trying to re-ratify it by referendum next year.

Cameron's going to re-ratify it? :confused:... You must mean try to reverse the ratification... but look, he's starting to backpeddle on his promise of a referendum in the UK if Lisbon is ratified by the time he comes to power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Funglegunk wrote: »
    The most effective 'No' posters appeared to reference actual facts (Minimum wage €1.84, Fisheries €200 billion, Voting Weight 0.8%), rather than the wishy-washy generalities of the majority of Yes posters.

Appeared being the operative word. I imagine making stuff up is often much more interesting than the more mundane truth.

meglome wrote: »
    Appeared being the operative word. I imagine making stuff up is often much more interesting than the more mundane truth.

Certainly makes for a better poster. And you know and I know that those poster slogans are exactly the reasons being given in pubs for voting No. Not everyone has time to trawl through international treaties/boards.ie threads I suppose.

Thats where the Yes campaign failed dismally, and the reason I'm getting a slow creeping feeling that there will be a second No result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I've never seen it with so many posters looking at this forum.

Will Scofflaw be hoisted on the shoulders of his fellows with boisterous cries of "Scofflaw abu!"? Or will Run_to_da_hills enter victoriously to the strains of the Imperial March?

On topic, for me Jim Corr and his campaign piece thread in this forum was an eye-opener in terms of misinformation and misinterpretation.

On topic, for me Jim Corr and his campaign piece thread in this forum was an eye-opener in terms of misinformation and misinterpretation.

Are you saying Jim's "years of selfless study on the Internet" didn't convince you?!

Being from Dundalk I've heard all of Jim's ****e in the local newspapers, so had to crack a smile when I saw his name on the thread as I knew what it would be about. :)

RUN FOR OFFICE JIM, you are the Cassandra of the Irish people!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I've never seen it with so many posters looking at this forum.

Will Scofflaw be hoisted on the shoulders of his fellows with boisterous cries of "Scofflaw abu!"? Or will Run_to_da_hills enter victoriously to the strains of the Imperial March?

Yeah, that was pretty epic.

Advertisement