Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar/Club closing times - should they be extended?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Swear the government were parents?

"Right lads, want yiz out of the club by half 2, in a taxi at 3 and home for 3.30 or I wont be happy!"

Staggered hours do well, not every club will stay open till 7, it's unrealistic. Bars will open later, clubs will open later and there'll be one or 2 clubs open through out the night. Once the Garda know where's closing at what time it will make it much easier to patrol these areas, rather than having to cover every corner of town from 2.30 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

yeah the whole 230 thing is a joke. it is way too early to be turfed out of somewhere..

you can have such a better night out if that deadline is removed. You dont have to worry about rushing your drinks etc. Tonight for example, I was working late. Finished at 11, home by 1140. I would have loved to have gone out, but it wasn't worth my while for 2 hours or so.

I've been loads of places all over the world, and I can't think of any other place that has this stupid closing time!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I have thought of a con OP. It's 3:30 am and the club your in is closing. You spot a woman who you figure is in your league and equally drunk so make your move. Then shock horror she's only out an hour and still in full control of her senses. :eek::eek:
    This could kill off the wallflower tactic of waiting until they're drunk!

Eh, that's a pro for 60% of the country!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Below is what was almost put in to law in Auckland last week.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055692939
    The Policy proposes dividing Auckland City into three sectors with different licensing hours for each. These are for all On-Licences; restaurant, bar and entertainment.

§ Auckland CBD:
    Hours 7am till 1am
    Can be extended to 3am if
    - premise has a clean record
    - ‘trained’ security staff on from 11pm – 4am; 1 per 50 patrons
    - all staff after 1am are NZQA qualified responsible servers

Can be extended to 24 hours if in addition to the above
    - CCTV cameras are in place
    - 'one-way door' from 4am
    - free food from 3am
    - no one person purchases over 4 drinks at a time from 3am

§ Entertainment Precincts:
    These are Ponsonby Rd, Parnell Road, Newmarket, Mt Eden Village, Kingsland Village and Mission Bay ONLY.
    Hours 7am to 1am
    Can be extended to 3am if
    - the premise has a clean record
    - ‘trained’ security staff on from 11pm – 4am; 1 per 50 patrons
    - all staff after 1am are NZQA qualified responsible server
    - 'one-way door' from 2am

§ Everywhere else:
    Hours 7am to 11pm
    Can be extended to 12pm if
    - the premise has a clean record
    - ‘trained’ security staff on from 10pm – 1am; 1 per 50 patrons
    - all staff after 11pm are NZQA qualified responsible server

All Off Licenses including supermarkets will have a 10pm closing time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BlueButterBean

disgraceful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I like the open for 12 hours idea.

Make the pub choose what kind of pub they want to be, so they can attempt to be a good lunchtime pub, or a good late bar, NOT a half arsed lunch place and kinda ****e at night.

The staggered closing idea is a good idea in theory. But with all good ideas here, we'd balls it up some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There should be no limit. The government shouldn't have a right to dictate to either businesses or citizens when they can stop partying/selling stuff. If it is totally free, the market forces will lead to the ideal situation as supply meets demand.
    Unfortunately this Chicago Boys theory isn't true, and it's been proven in Chile, Argentina and Russia a free unregulated market won't make things better, only worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

24/7 licensing would at least get rid of the "half two you'll do" phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

My bank account says no. I don't need reasons to be out longer. Shorten them actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭chosen1

Seem to be in a minority here but I think it's necessary for Ireland to have closing times. I know it's a nanny state mentality but I do think the majority of Irish people need to be told when to go home.

Have been to countries all over the world where 24hr drinking or staggered closing works perfectly but I honestly dont think it would work in Ireland. Most normal people in the world will drink happily and then choose themselves when to go home, be it 3, 5 or whatever but I've been in countless 24hr bars in different countries where the last to leave has always being a few groups of paddys and its only because they cant physically drink any more (myself included). Know it causes inconvenience to people working odd hours but I've being glad of being forced to stop drinking early on a good few mornings getting up for work after being out.

Also on staggered closing times, you will see loads being kicked out of one place and searching in vain for another spot where they can get a few more drinks.

Would advocate slightly later opening times for Friday and Saturday nights though and not just for nightclubs either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mr.S wrote: »
    Realistically, 24hr openings will never happen, so the best we can hope for is an extension on 2:30 :pac:
    I don't see why it could never happen. I remember when certain shops were not allowed open on sundays, and most young people would probably find that hard to believe.
    chosen1 wrote: »
    I know it's a nanny state mentality but I do think the majority of Irish people need to be told when to go home.
    Then who gets to decide what bedtime is best?
    I've been in countless 24hr bars in different countries where the last to leave has always being a few groups of paddys and its only because they cant physically drink any more (myself included).
    No doubt on holidays and taking advantage of the new found gimmick of 24hr bars, the British would be the same on holidays. I imagine the novelty would soon wear off, esp. when people are not on holidays. I have seen late drinking on holidays too, but there was no "last round" culture, people were leaving when getting sober, rather than tanking up before leaving.
    Know it causes inconvenience to people working odd hours but I've being glad of being forced to stop drinking early on a good few mornings getting up for work after being out.
    So what about those people? many people are not working 9-5, so this universal "bedtime" is a misnomer and totally unfair.
    Would advocate slightly later opening times for Friday and Saturday nights though and not just for nightclubs either.
    Whats so special about friday & saturday? have YOU not got work the next morning, ah sure feck the rest of them they should find a 9-5 mon-fri if they think they should be entitled to a quiet pint after work.

The licensing hours were brought in for world war 1, it was to ensure workers would be fit to work for the war effort. But the war is long over and so it should have been scrapped decades ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

There is definately need for some clubs and pubs to stay open past 2.30. Look at the continent... alcohol available 24 hours a day. It's great.

Advertisement