Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A word of thanks to our moderators here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

As regards the infractions, I was a little put out when I got one (incidentally on a post that Sam Vines had thanked but swiftly rowed back on :D) but I soon came around to the necessity of such harsh moderation in the last few weeks. You should have seen the amount of spam crap I got away with "contributing" on P.ie. Kept things tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well I wasn't banned, so I'm thankful for that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Cheers to the lads as well, despite some of the usual "biased" accusations I think they often let people away with too much. I count myself lucky to just the 1 infraction.
    realcam wrote: »
    Well, yes and no.

For starters I think the robust debate as you call it may have been that at times, but lately I think the standard has gone down a lot.

It really turned into a shouting/bullying match where at times I can really visualize red-faced, rage-fueled people screaming nothing but one word - "lies" - on the other side of that keyboard. It hasn't been pretty at times and I'd accuse mostly some of the militant 'Yes' supporters of that.

I've seen threads where 'No' arguments were mocked down by the sheer number of 'Yes' supporters and when the thread had run its course they actually seem to have felt like 'winners' all the while not realizing that their own arguments were just as hollow and they're only following someone elses propaganda while accusing the others of the same.

Which is of course not the moderators fault and most heated internet debates go like that. On the webs usually half the people on each side hardly know what they're talking about anyway and usually the louder the voice the smaller the brains. That's the way it goes when people are protected by anonymity.

I think overall the mods did probably a good job although at times I felt a hint of bias. But maybe it just felt like that to me because the screaming 'Yes' mob annoyed me so much at times.

It gets tetchy in here in the last few days, same happened last time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The forum has certainly been far more informative than any other source of information or debate I've encountered, and I think Scofflaw in particular seems to have genuinely collected as much information about the actual treaty contents as he could find, which is more than I can say for any of our politicians or other public figures!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

As a lurker
    realcam wrote: »

I think overall the mods did probably a good job although at times I felt a hint of bias.

this sums my view up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

And there i was thinking that they were just doing their job,I work in construction..bridges mainly and i never get any thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

And there i was thinking that they were just doing their job,I work in construction..bridges mainly and i never get any thanks

You get paid for yours ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

You musn't do a very good job of it so. They also do this for free and for the most part without thanks.

This is a thread to thank the mods for doing so, if you've nothing nice to say then shut your mouth and go elsewhere.

Maybe you should build a bridge.......................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

K-9 wrote: »

hahaha original!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

One infraction and one warning, both for "Insulting other member(s)" A bit of a certain other site rubbing off on me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I'll add my kudos to the mods here.

Although everyone seemed to to be getting pretty annoyed with everyone else towards the end, the standard of debate on this forum is far higher than anything I've come across on TV or radio.

Also, the amount of apathy towards any sort of political debate in my real non-internet nerd life is kind of depressing, so it's great to have a forum like this where we can all hammer out our own points and arguments, and listen to other people's points of view as well.

So thanks to the mods for running a good, tight ship, and to the other posters for an entertaining debate over the last few months.

Edit: And no infractions :D

Maybe i will.......

prinz wrote: »
    You get paid for yours ;)

I would like to work on this site for free trust me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

They might be lizard people at heart, but they do a hell of a job.

Back when I started lurking on boards I was inclined to a "fight de powah" attitude towards mods.

Seeing the difference between the debates here, and the lunacy so many threads degraded into on a certain other politics forum cured me of that.

I'm consistently impressed with the level of restraint and impartiality the mods have shown, particularly with the recent shill-fest.

You know what, you lizard people are ok by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

MikeC101 wrote: »
    They might be lizard people at heart, but they do a hell of a job.

Back when I started lurking on boards I was inclined to a "fight de powah" attitude towards mods.

Seeing the difference between the debates here, and the lunacy so many threads degraded into on a certain other politics forum cured me of that.

I'm consistently impressed with the level of restraint and impartiality the mods have shown, particularly with the recent shill-fest.

You know what, you lizard people are ok by me.

Thanks! Now can we have your young?

anthropophagically,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Thanks! Now can we have your young?

anthropophagically,
    Scofflaw

[dictionary reference needed] :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Just out of interest, many No voters post on this thread?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

PaulieD wrote: »

Funnily enough, the usual choir of no voters are noticeably absent from the thread with the interview with Joe Higgins too, despite cries of bias etc the previous day :confused:

Probably just yourself!

A couple at least I think, would have been a few but we converted them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Probably just yourself!

Have a good hard think why that is the case.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I got in on the first page :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I came on here at 4 last night for a bit of sneaky trolling and Scofflaw was still here... Lurking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Fuhrer wrote: »
    I came on here at 4 last night for a bit of sneaky trolling and Scofflaw was still here... Lurking.

Waiting...watching...the Eye sees all.

omnipresently,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

turgon wrote: »
    As regards the infractions, I was a little put out when I got one (incidentally on a post that Sam Vines had thanked but swiftly rowed back on :D)

True. I wasn't getting one along with you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'll echo everything said above, well done lads!
    The patience shown was more than I could muster with my craziest girlfriend back in the day and the sheer wall of unmovable belief in lies when they were shown to be otherwise by the mods and repeated time and time again....I don't know how you did it guys but I'm glad I'm on this forum yet again.

Now I'm heading back to my usual Nintendo forum ;)
    Keep up the good work lads and I'd fully understand if I don't see much of yez in the next week! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Relative to many other posters on boards i am a'newbie'
    yesterday i voted fully informed and aware of the issues on both sides.
    It is the first time i went to a polling booth to vote on a referendum without the feeling that i was at the mercies of broadcast media,all major parties saying i SHOULD vote yes,or newspapers(all with vested interests)

The forums from the 'plain people' of Ireland(most of the infiltrators were copped on to:))I was very grateful for.

So yes +1 from me Thanks mods!
    also thanks the many genuine members who put forward their views in such an eloquent way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

While I was a Yes voter, and predominantly a lurker on this forum, and while the Mods no doubt deserve a lot of kudos for an awful lot of hard work, Im afraid I couldn't unreservedly join in the congratulations given the manner in which of certain posters and issues were dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I didn't get an infraction anytime during the lisbon debate although I did write stuff and think better of it before posting it.

I said it in a few other posts but they did a great job and I feared for their sanity at times with some of the nonsense and repeated modding on the same issues by different people or duplicate accounts over and over.

I didn't post that much but I read most of the threads to try to keep up to date on what the latest argument was. I try to only post when I think I know what I'm talking about and someone says something I need to respond to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

As yet another lurker, I can only add my congratulations to the mods.

Thanks to their efforts, this forum remained a sane and balanced place for debate, and was, for me at least, a bastion of sanity in a media world populated by ravaging EU armies coming to take our babies, grannies and fish.

More to the point, as some one who has worked in Brussels and has been a tiny little cog in that machine(but who generally can't post on politics fora for obvious reasons), the version of the EU portrayed here was uniquely accurate - thanks in no small art to the unceasing and quite brilliant work of a number of posters, notably Sam Vimes, EI.whatever, Oscar Bravo, and, of course, Scofflaw. That, in and of itself, has been a monumental act of public service.

Admiringly, Gratefully, Toadily

Aidan

Advertisement