Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf Park

Options
  • 02-10-2009 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

has anyone come across this idea before

for beginner to intermediate surfers the toughest part of the experience is continually battling the waves to get out far enough to catch a decent run
    i would like to develop a surf park with pulleys to drag you out through the water - kinda like in skiing

good idea if i can get planning permission?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

go for it.
    let us know how how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I will build what you are proposing, for the low low price of 54.7 billion :pac:

how about one of these for a much lower cost...

In fact I think someone said there's one of these in the National Aquatic Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

seachto7 wrote: »
    are you serious?

yes

i've spoken to some engineers and they guarantee me it is structurally possible
    finding an appropriate site is the difficulty
    i've made initial enquiries through the lahinch surf school but they want a detailed spec and business plan
    i'm reluctant to go this route yet

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

emm battling through the waves yourself to get out back is an important aspect of surfing. If you're a bic weilding weekend warrior getting towed out to the waves and your leash breaks out there you're probably going to panic and drown in just moderately big surf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

gerk86 wrote: »
    emm battling through the waves yourself to get out back is an important aspect of surfing. If you're a bic weilding weekend warrior getting towed out to the waves and your leash breaks out there you're probably going to panic and drown in just moderately big surf.

I agree, if you're not able to make it out to the break then chances are you shouldnt be out there - Its either above your level or your having a "weak" day or whatever, if something goes wrong your pretty screwed.

I really cant see anyone giving you the go ahead with insurance on this, too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

c - 13 wrote: »
    I really cant see anyone giving you the go ahead with insurance on this, too dangerous.

i dont see insurance being a problem as far as getting it cost might be prohibitive but you can get insurance for far riskier things than this

i can see a place like lahinch surf school liking this idea with all their beginners many of whom surf once and never again it would be a great marketing tool for them

while im sure it could make money as far as the 'real surf' community goes its a ridicolous idea

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

jetski and several ropes

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

has anyone come across this idea before

for beginner to intermediate surfers the toughest part of the experience is continually battling the waves to get out far enough to catch a decent run
    i would like to develop a surf park with pulleys to drag you out through the water - kinda like in skiing

good idea if i can get planning permission?

Man the f u c k up!

If you cant paddle out, you have no place out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

good idea?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Looking at this all wrong, you should be considering a ski-lift style approach rather then cables & pulleys towing style system.

With a ski-lift style system Fiachra, Fintan and other similar w@nkers don't even have to get their bleached blond hair wet:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

solution

jetski..... 2 euro pull out

thats not practical liberal.

need a reinforced concrete shell built on a beach foundation
    a pulley system is connected to the shell that takes surfers out maybe 25m, 50m, 100m - users would have the option to leave the pulley at these particular intervals or return to base if timing was not suitable.

i'd imagine you could sell a daily pass for approx 10e a pop
    insurance quotes are not that ridiculous so far
    particularly when the system would employ full-time lifeguard staff

imagine how useful this would be for surf school!
    its a winner

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭thehangtenguy

If you can't paddle out thru the whitewater, your have no business being out the back, lifeguard being present or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Fiendybob

I recon it's a great idea for the lazy surfer - all the fun and no effort - brilliant! Surfing for the microwave generation...

I seriously thought this was a piss-take.......

cons
    90% of school bussiness is poeple that dont do out beyond chest depth

people who do go out back aren't going to pay a tenner

and alot of people like the work out

and wouldn't the pullies just plow you head first into the waves head first anyway?

pros

your ambitious

head first like!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

and do you actually think that any council in the coutry is going to let you plant two pylons on any beach in ireland

just learn to surf then you will get outback!!

this is a business venture at the end of the day..

surfing profile is on the up amongst irish teenagers / adults
    surf schools are springing up everywhere
    this is a natural next step

key is to locate this on a suitable beach somewhere close to an emerging town in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

key is to locate this on a suitable beach somewhere close to an emerging town in ireland

Who is the target market?
    If its people who can get out the back and are simple feeling lazy then it won't turn a profit.
    If its people who can't get out the back due to not being strong enough then you are going to hire plenty lifeguards to pull people to shore(or the return pully). Best case scenario you won't be sued. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

and there isnt a chance of any council letting you build it!
    i had problems getting permission for a bbq on the beach for a one day event they arent gonna let you put up a permanent structure!

this is one of the funniest things ive ever seen on a forum! :pac:

save your money build a proper flowrider instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cprh

AFAIK, the standard surf school insurance doesn't cover "out the back" surfing.

Regardless, the first time surfer cannot surf an unbroken wave anyway - so why bring them out there. All you'd be doing is increasing driftwood and tbh putting them in uneccessary danger.

Concrete, pulleys, machinery??? On a beach, point, or reef. Are you mad? Surf breaks need to be left in their natural state.

If you truly want to achieve multiple easy access waves have a look at the new adventure park place in London.

It has, what I would consider, the first relatively respectable man made wave.

http://www.venture-xtreme.com/water.html

There is a test video on youtube somewhere but cant find it.

Basically, it's an artificial pool with a beach and a proper wave machine that creates up 2 metre waves that peel left and right for about 50 m maybe while decreasing in size. £30 for 10 waves I believe.

Anyway,

Your pulley systems is ridiculous. Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Wouldn't putting a large concrete structure in the wave area destroy the formation of the waves? :confused:

high horse wrote: »
    Wouldn't putting a large concrete structure in the wave area destroy the formation of the waves? :confused:

no cause the waves typically form from up to 250 - 400m away from the shore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

if there happens to be a nature reserve nearby, you could build apartments on top of it, for your new clients to stay in...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

no cause the waves typically form from up to 250 - 400m away from the shore

Burgermann55, if you believe that placing this 'out the back' will have no effect of waves, or genuinely think that waves 'typically form up to 250 - 400m from the shore', then you have no understanding of how waves develop. How do you propose to account for rising / falling tide levels, littoral movement (formation and movement of sandbanks), storm protection, visual impact, safety.

I for one would not want to see nonsense development such as this any where on the Irish coastline. You will put people in a stuation they shold not be in, ruin the natural formation and operation of a line up and pi55 most people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 donga_perkins

I think it's a fabulous idea, Tullan Strand would be an ideal candidate for development, you could build on the fairy bridges there.
    Paddling out there is always a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

You can put your surf resort next to my unicorn farm - rather then powering your pulleys with electricity we can use unicorns harnessed into machines - imagine the green credentials! There's high unemployment in the the local leprechaun workforce - so it's cheap labour a go-go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 donga_perkins

??? I meant the fairy bridges on the cliff there, that's what they're called. I wasn't talking about imaginary creatures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I was talking to the burgervan guy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement