Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libertas ad in the Sindo...?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

The commissioner is supposed to act in accordance with the best interests of Europe as a whole in any case. This always bothers me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

finbar10 wrote: »
    The commission clarification would be interesting to see. But I guess the actual meaning of the treaty article would be ultimately up to the European Court to decide rather than the Commission. Suppose a QMV decision is taken on a new commission that doesn't include Ireland's suggestion. Ireland can then appeal this to the ECJ. Only then would we know for certain the actual legality of the matter. This is a situation unlikely to happen in practice. But it's nevertheless an interesting "what if?" situation.

The phrase "drawn up in accordance with the proposals made by each Member State" is equally susceptible to the same whatiffery, though.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭finbar10

Scofflaw wrote: »
    The phrase "drawn up in accordance with the proposals made by each Member State" is equally susceptible to the same whatiffery, though.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The Nice wording is certainly a bit vague too. But I'd feel that Ireland would have a better chance of insisting on "their" commissioner under the Nice rather than the Lisbon wording. It's a matter of opinion though (and ultimately only the ECJ's opinion would matter ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 timefortea

rebelmind wrote: »
    Please post the ad text & I will demolish any arguments the yessmen have for breakfast.
    Lying? The Yes side invented it in this campaign.

wondering where this one went. seemed so sure of him/herself yet now strangely quiet.

Advertisement