Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which referendum should we have next?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    I've explained this.

Its goes to the away votes rule in the event of a time. Since the Yes side were clearly absent from the first campaign I am guessing that this is their home leg.

It's a ring toss game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Davidius wrote: »
    To be fair, people with high IQs can be dumb as ****.
    True, there would have to be a lot of consideration into how the official qualifying IQ score is measured.

Right, time to form a commitee.
    Hire some consultants and block-book the top floors of all the 5 star hotels in Dublin. Who's got the number for O'Donoghue's limo? Give the guys in Fàs a call, they'll want in on this.
    Long Onion wrote:
    What about a referendum that will allow us to punch Dana in the face every time it rains?
    We don't need a referendum for that, theres nothing in the constitution that says we can't do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Should we have to pass a test proving we understand something before we can vote in a referendum on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Gurgle wrote: »
    We don't need a referendum for that, theres nothing in the constitution that says we can't do it anyway.

Really? I thought that as the preamble pledges allegience to our holy trinity overlord masters, we are precluded from doing anything which may upset the divine holy mother herself - such as:

Having sex
    Drinking
    Doing Drugs
    Listening to rock music
    The list goes on and includes all kinds of everything really ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Is there anything to be said for another abortion referendum? We can do better than last time, pro's and anti's on both sides now that was confusing! I want an honest to goodness clear cut vote, with all the associated hysteria, right wing Catholic groups engaged in street battles with liberals, sheer venom... The kinda thing that splits the country.

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

A referendum on not to have any more referendums on 1000 page documents nobody will read, but base thier vote instead on who has the coolest poster type referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A right to bear arms.

That fell through with Thalidomide. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

toiletduck wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for another abortion referendum? We can do better than last time, pro's and anti's on both sides now that was confusing! I want an honest to goodness clear cut vote, with all the associated hysteria, right wing Catholic groups engaged in street battles with liberals, sheer venom... The kinda thing that splits the country.

Anyone?
    I'd be all up for that, i'd say we could get a civil war out of it. Also, for sheer lulz we should tag on legalizing cannabis onto the pro life side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

zuroph wrote: »
    I'd be all up for that, i'd say we could get a civil war out of it. Also, for sheer lulz we should tag on legalizing cannabis onto the pro life side.

Hmmm, interesting point raised here - what if we were to have referenda with no choice for the status quo - for example:

This referendum allows you to vote YES - in which case, abortion will be legalised and the Old age pension & free health care abolished or NO - in which case abortion remains prohibited but cannabis and heroin are legalised.

I think we could have some fun with this ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Senna wrote: »
    Probably Lisbon 3, after a the NO side win.

i personally will be voting yes, but if the result is a yes vote i think it's only fair to make it best of three.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Long Onion wrote: »
    Really? I thought that as the preamble pledges allegience to our holy trinity overlord masters, we are precluded from doing anything which may upset the divine holy mother herself - such as:

Listening to rock music

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Long Onion wrote: »
    Hmmm, interesting point raised here - what if we were to have referenda with no choice for the status quo - for example:

This referendum allows you to vote YES - in which case, abortion will be legalised and the Old age pension & free health care abolished or NO - in which case abortion remains prohibited but cannabis and heroin are legalised.

I think we could have some fun with this ...

Oh this would put the cat amoung the pigeons, the whole country would be up in arms! I'd be interested to see which side Declan Ganley would take, most likely be up for the No side, he could turn a profit on the cannabis and heroin afterall!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Gingerspice99

If it was a lesbian treaty it would be a yes vote, but as its the LISBON treaty , im voting no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Dont know about the next referendum, but i'm not particularly looking forward to the next general election. Different government, same sh1te, more then likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

zuroph wrote: »
    come Saturday, its all over bar the shouting. So.. all these riled up and angry yes and no campaigners, lets give them something else to debate and lie about!

So, what do the good citizens of AH think we should put to the vote next?

*note to mods, this is meant to be light-hearted, please don't move to that dungeon of a politics forum..
    NAMA

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Fatal flaw in democracy: Half the voters are of below average intelligence.

The median does not necessarily equal the mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

genericguy wrote: »
    i personally will be voting yes, but if the result is a yes vote i think it's only fair to make it best of three.

Or.. we could have Ganley Vs Cowen dance-off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Magnus wrote: »
    A referendum on allowing Creationism taught in our schools.
    DARWIN ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

We should have a referendum to bring back the death penalty, It is high time the Drug pushers and traffickers were executed in this Country.

We need to have a referendum allowing for a system wherby either the Co. Councils of President can forcibly dissolve the Dail and force a General Election. This would allow for the Government to be ousted in times of national bungling like currently, an Impeachment of Brian Cowen if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

javaboy wrote: »

I say, let the people the decide!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

If it doesn't have to be a "yes/no" debate then what about...

A) Legalise Abortion.
    B) Legalise all drugs (including hard drugs)
    C) Half the minimum wage

You can choose any two, the 2 with the most votes are passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

A referendum on the right of gingers to have kids.

netwhizkid wrote: »
    It is high time the Drug pushers and traffickers were executed in this Country.
    Yeah, damn those evil capitalists, making their profits off the market forces of supply and demand.

Never mind those poor misguided murderers and rapists, sure they know no better, all they need is a cuddle and they'll be fine, but the 'drug pushers'....

javaboy wrote: »
    It does on a bell curve with 3,000,000+ data points.

It does on a bell curve with 3,000,000+ data points.

On an ideal bell curve, yes. Can you demonstrate that the IQ spread (bearing in mind that IQ is poorly defined) across Irish voters is such a curve? I doubt it.

Of course half the feckin' IQ tests give normalised results so it probably does turn out to be a bloody bell curve. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The first referendum should be a proposal to prevent the fiasco that was "Arthur's Day" from ever being allowed to happen again.

Secondly to allow the use of physical force on any who feels the urge to scream "to Martha" in a public place while drinking budweiser

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Pygmalion wrote: »
    If it doesn't have to be a "yes/no" debate then what about...

A) Legalise Abortion.
    B) Legalise all drugs (including hard drugs)
    C) Half the minimum wage

You can choose any two, the 2 with the most votes are passed.
    easy
    B&C

a lot of people would be perfectly fine Paying those on minimum wage less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

a vote for late late late night drinking in clubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Aidric wrote: »
    A referendum on the right of gingers to have kids.

You mean a referendum to make it illegal for anyone to have kids if they or any blood relative going back at least 3 generations have/had red hair.

That or replacing "Jesus Christ" with "Flying Spaghetti Monster" in the constitution.

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    You mean a referendum to make it illegal for anyone to have kids if they or any blood relative going back at least 3 generations have/had red hair.

Nah that would be barbaric. Statistically, simply outlawing obvious gingers would be adequate to phase out the colour over the next few generations. I did my thesis on it.

Advertisement