Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I want everyone to vote no

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

^ thats true, we dont matter that much anyway, why would a no vote piss them off?

That is why the European press is descended on Ireland.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

So please vote no. I reckon its worth at least 20% more off the price of property.[/quote]

how??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Nobody cares what we think one way or the other except that we have a veto on certain issues and a vote on certain others.
    Indeed. Internationally, no one really cares what Ireland thinks, although EU membership and a very good diplomatic lobby in Washington have meant that diplomatically we punch above our weight. This is one of those veto moments, btw.
    In the event that there is a no vote, therefore, I would expect a bit of posturing from the French and perhaps one or two other countries, but that this would die down after a few months. They will still need us to agree to things and vote in particular ways. That will not change.
    I agree, with the caveat that having failed with the EU constitution and Lisbon, an alternative strategy would have to be considered and there is no guarantee that we would be core or even invited to such a strategy (sooner or later, the two tier solution is going to be seriously raised). Otherwise it most likely would be business as usual, but with somewhat poorer relations (how much is debatable).

That's in the long term. The short to medium term would upset investment and business confidence - whether for valid reasons or not, it has been mooted often enough to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. No denying that, I'm afraid.
    The Corinthian will get his 20% reduction in house prices but he's probably going to get that anyway due to economic mismanagement and a likely rise in Euro interest rates next year as the economies of Germany and France improve.
    Oh, I know that... but I was talking about an additional 20% though...
    Colpriz wrote: »
    how??
    Oh dear. What are you having difficulty to understand that seemingly everyone else has grasped? Did you just skip down to the punchline without reading the rest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Colpriz wrote: »
    So please vote no. I reckon its worth at least 20% more off the price of property.

how??[/QUOTE]

Can someone tell me how voting yes would stop a drop of 20% in housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Can someone tell me how voting yes would stop a drop of 20% in housing?

If a drop was going to happen anyway it probably wouldn't stop it but it might just cause one that wasn't going to happen ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I'll tell you what. Let's compromise. This time around I'll vote NO and in a couple of months time with the next Lisbon election I'll vote YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 yawhyawh

im a no vote:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I'll tell you what. Let's compromise. This time around I'll vote NO and in a couple of months time with the next Lisbon election I'll vote YES.

there wont be a third Lisbon

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Let me first point out a few things. I'm Irish, but this is not my only nationality or citizenship. I also do not live in Ireland now. Haven't for a while. Not even in the EU. I move around. Moving again next month.
    The no side is:
    • A bunch of Far Left Nutcases. Obvious why they hate the idea. Anything that will make the economy worse is good for them. After all, "a man with a full belly seldom thinks of causing trouble". The revolution ain't going to magically start during an economic boom comrades.
    • A Bunch of Nationalist and/or Catholic Nutcases. They've not gone away you know, although the Church has thankfully learned its lesson and avoids them now. Bit of an odd mix of kitchen committees and groups with Hispanic origins. All kinds of everything really.
    • Sinn Fein. They're a funny one as they seem to incorporate elements of the previous two groups without actually being in either.
    • Declan Ganley. My hero. Seriously. Complete chancer and opportunist. I have no idea what his motivation is (he could be totally genuine or this could be the greatest scam in Irish history) but definitely clued in (unlike the first two groups and frankly SF or the yes side ain't all that clued in either) in the art of getting the message across. He single-handedly defeated the first referendum, but unfortunately this was before people started asking, ahem, questions...

You've sold me. I'll vote no.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Touchy. You're not invited to my housewarming.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face.
    I <3:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement