Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berget 8 - 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Thats the job of the sniper... Dont follow them into the 'dark cqbish forrest'... Find a spot that gives you the chance to do your job, and let them come to you, or hit them from somewhere apropriate... its al location location location... and not just the property market

as far as im aware they where operating in more of a dmr role as part of the larger unit so not always possible to run off on your own and operate in perfect conditions

i would not be so fast to labels someone critizm of of high fps and min engage ment as a lake of knowledge or inability to play there role,

it turned out from a large number of the guys that went this year that the 1j limit with no min engagement distance was an advantage and with the fast and close engagement gave a distinct advantage when up close over others than had to retreat or switch to a side arm
    Hmmm. Anyone got a ballpark on the cost it would be to get there and play? I am deeply interested - perhaps I will build that 'cannon'

a good place to look would be the 2009 berget thread, there is some nice information on cost in there, of course it will more than likely have changed a little but gives you some good starting points

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Phractal wrote: »
    Hmmm. Anyone got a ballpark on the cost it would be to get there and play? I am deeply interested - perhaps I will build that 'cannon' :D

Straight off the bat, roughly €160 + €40-ish (for "flight charges" on your flight case) to get yourself onto Swedish soil from Dublin. Roughly €50-60 for first-class rail travel (highly recommended for the experience) with food booked and free wi-fi. After that, up to yourself what you awnt to opt for accommodation-wise, eating, drinking, etc.

But as Puding said, go look at the Berget 8 & Berget 9 threads.
    Puding wrote: »
    as far as im aware they where operating in more of a dmr role as part of the larger unit so not always possible to run off on your own and operate in perfect conditions

You will find people operating as pairs or individuals at Berget. They tend to really know what they're doing of course and have been doing it for quite sometime at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

i would not be so fast to labels someone critizm of of high fps and min engage ment as a lake of knowledge or inability to play there role,

it turned out from a large number of the guys that went this year that the 1j limit with no min engagement distance was an advantage and with the fast and close engagement gave a distinct advantage when up close over others than had to retreat or switch to a side arm

Offtopic, but im not sure you get what he was saying... He was refering to the sniper role... its not up close and personal. As for my criticism Puding, I've played the sniper role in England for coming on 4 years now... I've always had a minimum safety engagement distance. And i've managed to cope perfectly happily... its never once been a disadvantage frankly... advantage infact. Once you are able to mentally judge distance, its fine, and if playing a dmr role, with limits, even in a squad you can position yourself apropriately to be able to take a shot if it arrises... engagement or not. Its not about 'running off alone' its just being aware of your surroundings, and considerate of possible attack.

You will find people operating as pairs or individuals at Berget. They tend to really know what they're doing of course and have been doing it for quite sometime at that.

yes they do but as far as I'm aware nobody from the Irish group was really doing this , that is why I mention there role was more akin to dmr, my point was that in my view unlike fire kitten somones critizm of engagment distances is not a reflection in there skill or knowledge.

Yes you have 4 years of experiance but does not mean your the messire and others peoples experiances are also not valid and correct there are positives and negatives to both set ups.

You need to stop being so defensive both of you. Both povs and view point are valid and have merit, and and anyone looking to travel and upgrade for the sniper role at the event should Liston to people with experiance of berger to enshore they go with open eyes and avoid disappointment , as we say to everyone sniping is not like in the movies, to me this is the same at 1j as it is at 3j

• Registered Users Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As dodgy as this might sound and I hope the mods dont take this the worong way,

But if your looking to upgrade for Berget, really read into your rifles specs, and consult with someone in the know, to see if your rifle will handle it.

Our two snipers last year, who could have been big assets, were totally unuseable due to their rifles giving them jip when they upgraded, as did a number of guys guns who went over the joule.

We decided to keep at 1joule, so we could engage at any distance and it worked a treat, and realisticly, we never got outgunned. I never saw a target shooting at me, that I didnt tag back.

Alot of fire you come under though is un identifiable be it in trees or really good cover.

An essential piece of kit is really, vegetation. Something we had never done before arriving and it made a world of difference. I remember we were setting an ambush on either side of a road anticipating enemy contact, it was dark and a whole platoon of friendlies walked up and were standing in front of us, unable to see us, I stepped out to liase with their CO and he nearly **** his break when we all stood up.

I wouldnt get hung up though on the fps limit really. You can run into serious problems with upgrading and not knowing if you gun can handle it, obviously its not "legal" to upgrade your gun past the joule, but I don't know if theres a "morally ok" way to do it, maybe put the spring into your gearbox outside of a gun? Then run it in a bit and see what happens.

I think I'll be keeping at the joule again, although I might crank it up to 450 for the lols just to see if there is a distance, which I doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Just to make it clear, any upgrades to guns bringing them over 1J must be done after you leave the jurisdiction, and the gun must be downgraded again before you return.

If you're determined to do an upgrade - and most players say it's not worth the hassle - you can do it at the event.

(Experienced airsofters know this already, this is for the information of new readers.)

yes they do but as far as I'm aware nobody from the Irish group was really doing this , that is why I mention there role was more akin to dmr, my point was that in my view unlike fire kitten somones critizm of engagment distances is not a reflection in there skill or knowledge.

Yes you have 4 years of experiance but does not mean your the messire and others peoples experiances are also not valid and correct there are positives and negatives to both set ups.

You need to stop being so defensive both of you. Both povs and view point are valid and have merit, and and anyone looking to travel and upgrade for the sniper role at the event should Liston to people with experiance of berger to enshore they go with open eyes and avoid disappointment , as we say to everyone sniping is not like in the movies, to me this is the same at 1j as it is at 3j
    I think you missed my point...
    I was critisizing thier ability to play with the engagement distances... I brought up my experience to reflect the length of time ive played using those distances, and that power of rifle... NOT to pump up my own ego... I don't frankly give a crap who thinks im awesome in a game full of toy guns, Im trying to point out the key thing your missing... is that the person moaned because they didnt account for the game rules...

You are right, its the same at 1j as 3, but with 3, you have added safety concerns, and range. Its your DUTY to prepare yourself by being at the right distance to engage. As a Designated marksman, you can push out on a flank, and shaddow your unit, providing roving cover... OR you can go with them if you have enough distance to engage your target. you wouldn't stand right next to someone and complain you didnt have room to swing your broad sword would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

We got alot of stick for staying at 1J.

But we showed them.

I know... i heard... good on you guys... it takes someone at 1j to kick thier ass and show them how high fps isnt everything they think it makes them.

We got alot of stick for staying at 1J.

But we showed them.

To be honest though, the quality of play wasn't what I expected over there, it was pretty average at best.

In contrast to the platoons operating in nato that seemed very organised, structured and very impressive in the field.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Bernie Mac

Regardless of play it sounds like a great experience and I'm really hoping to get out for this year! Just need to start saving the penny's :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

berget 6 i loved,

berget 7, nearly died of the heat, got eaten alive, sl9 was completly useless, couldnt get parts to fix my p90, had to pay hundreds of euros in weight charges because they forgot to add my sport equipment request, left my passport in the hotel and had to race back in a taxi again costing a fortune,
    So if you think for one second that i'd go back, then you must be stark staring mad.

Looking forward to berget 8;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Skatedude wrote: »
    berget 6 i loved,

berget 7, nearly died of the heat, got eaten alive, sl9 was completly useless, couldnt get parts to fix my p90, had to pay hundreds of euros in weight charges because they forgot to add my sport equipment request, left my passport in the hotel and had to race back in a taxi again costing a fortune,
    So if you think for one second that i'd go back, then you must be stark staring mad.

Looking forward to berget 8;)

Berget 7 is over man, roll on Berget 8 :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

quick tip , i for one will be bringing a BIG bag of spares next year.
    one of the cork lads got charged an obscene amount of money for a motor last year.

I'm also forsaking tents in favour of bivvy bag/basha/mozzie net next year. Being woken up in a tent by a pool of sweat dripping into your ear is the opposite of fun.

I for one welcome our new big-bag-of-spares-carrying overlord.

:)

horgan_p wrote: »
    quick tip , i for one will be bringing a BIG bag of spares next year.
    one of the cork lads got charged an obscene amount of money for a motor last year.

the fact you threatened to crate me up ship me over this year, does not boad well for next year.........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Being woken up in a tent by a pool of sweat dripping into your ear is the opposite of fun.

Yeah, Doc tended to do that.

So up for next year. Just need to research the roles a bit before I decide

I'm also forsaking tents in favour of bivvy bag/basha/mozzie net next year. Being woken up in a tent by a pool of sweat dripping into your ear is the opposite of fun.

I will be putting some serious thought into my sleeping arrangements for next year.
    The heat would be difficult to overcome, but our exhaustion should have allowed us to sleep through it.

It was the flipping ant hills that the nato tents were erected upon that caused my discomfort.
    I don't know how many times I woke up to the feeling or something tiny crawling across my body, or even biting me!

2653552606_a3847e89c2.jpg

******s, tents will make you a sexual tyranasauras, just like meeee..

I dont give a **** what i sleep in, I'm just not bringing half the **** I did this year

One gun, one pistol and minimal clothing

I'm nearly half tempted, should i be in a command role again, to just buy a ****off 400fps pistol, and loads of mags

• Advertisement

No, I'm saying the heat wasn't the problem, the frikkin wildlife was.
    So if we rough it, it'll be even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

So if we rough it, it'll be even worse.

The heat was admittedly at a far higher level this year than last, which was bareable. Overly hot in the tents, but not at a level that feels like your lungs are sucking hot vaccum.

Oh, and btw ... The gamezone we were originally meant to use has a snake population.

Sleep tight now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Did you see the majestic moooooose?

Yes, it bit my sisters hand, as she karved her initials into it.

I don't know how many times I woke up to the feeling of something tiny crawling across my body, or even biting me!

Are you sure that wasn't... er... never mind.

OzCam wrote: »
    Are you sure that wasn't... er... never mind.

I'm almost certain...

spare parts are essential, berget 6 had loads of shops selling/upgrading but berget 7 had almost no parts and no one was officially doing upgrades. I brought a lot of spares and spent more time repairing stuff for people then anyting else.(until my soldering iron blew up in the heat)
    And i deffinatly wont be bring the sl9 at 500fps. too much trouble, but i did want a chance to try out a maxed out sniper.
    this year it will be back to my trusty p90 with systema full tune up kit, i never had any problems with it.

I'm not sure what team yet, but we have 3 weeks to decide. i like the idea of a smaller team as nato was getting too bloated with players lately.

Naf 23 or 3rd has some appeal. it has a mix of guarding and offensive which appeals to me, The guard duty suited me because it was a bit to warm for me during the day to be out hiking all the time. and the team sizes arnt too big.

But it might be nice trying the civilians/ merc roles.

Ps, what was that avon product that worked as mosquito repellent?

k, noticed that 3rd naf have no off time and ammo restrictions, which will make it a bit more challaging. so more of a special ops type of role.
    Dont mind the ammo restriction, but i kinda like having the down time.

Ditto. It's very easy to act the hard man on the interwebs beforehand, but downtime is essential if you just want to have a good game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

If you cant laugh at yourself eh?

downtime.jpg

Downtime - He needs it.

Advertisement