Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst cycle facilities in Ireland

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ranelagh in Dublin is a great example. By day, well some of the time, there's a cycle path. By night, ta-da, it's now all parking. Genius stuff.
    i mentioned before, but the clearway (from 4pm to 10pm i think) outside ballymun garda station is never clear between 4pm and 10pm. i cycled past the other day and there were ten cars parked in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

i mentioned before, but the clearway (from 4pm to 10pm i think) outside ballymun garda station is never clear between 4pm and 10pm. i cycled past the other day and there were ten cars parked in it.

and bet they didnt belong to the good citizens of ballymun in reporting crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

ted1 wrote: »
    Stretch of cycle path between RTE and UCD flyover, both red surface coating and base layer worn away, storm drain at each drive way, pot holes , one of the busiest bus lane in dublin.

It's literally a gutter. I use the bus lane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

True. I. Do the same. I have almost been run off the road there several times by buses punishment passing me when we're all taking off at the lights after nutley lane. Extremely close ones. And almost always beeped. It's a good day when the lights are green!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,405 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Same here but there is one spot in the bus lane that has collapsed and forces out to the main lane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

ted1 wrote: »
    Tweet it to garda traffic and ask them to do something about it.

AGS and City Council already know about it. They choose to do nothing.

Incidentally, what the picture does not show is the way the "cycle lanes" appear/disappear about 50 metres from a roundabout with no crossing facilities for child cyclists or pedestrians. Apparently the Council regards this as constituting a "safe route to school", because "planning" permission for the school was granted partly on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

droidus wrote: »
    Not entirely a 'worst cycling facility', but the N2 from Phibsbrough to Finglas is a total nightmare. The speed limit is 60, so most people go 70. If you cycle on the (probably illegal) off road cycle path you get drivers right and left hooking you at junctions and at the entrances to the two garages along the route, you cycle on the road and you get homicidal bus drivers beeping you off the road and passing too close.

Ive conceded defeat and stay on the cycle path most of the way, and even then I had a coach pass within a couple of inches whilst crossing a junction in the on-road portion of the cycle path. Then there was the giant patch of demented tarmac from a road repair at the bottom of the hill that stretched across the cycle and bus lane which nearly knocked me off a couple of times and was left in that state for about 3 months.

It needs a radical redesign if its ever going to be a safe route for cyclists. Its a miracle no-one has been killed there.

I cycle the N2 to Charlestown in Finglas regular enough and agree with this. I don't use the cycle lane mounted on the footpath at all as it passes by Glasnevin cemetary and crosses several junctions and two 24 hour petrol stations. Instead I stay in the bus lane all the way down to the Tolka River and it is only from there I use the cycle lane on the footpath as its safer to do so, the only junction you cross is the entrance to the Ardmore Hotel.

But you're right, its a mess of a route. Eventually at the end of it you get spit off the pavement and directly into the path of traffic turning left from the Finglas Road onto Wellmount Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Rathmines! Always, always blocked with cars, vans, buses, trucks, on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

OP, the worst thing about cycle facilities in Ireland is.........there are none. Even where I live in North County Dublin, we have one pavement bike lane that runs for maybe a kilometre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement