Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everybody against Cuts!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I am a public servant and I will accept a pay cut with one proviso.

When the good times roll back in and you get your xmas bonus while public servants are still on a pay freeze and paid below the international average etc. you will all start threads asking why the Government won't pay public servants more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

mikemac wrote: »
    Very few staff get Christmas bonuses. I swear a lot of public servants (not you) reckon the private sector is made up of hot shot traders and dot com millionaires

It seems you are right and nobody in the private sector was making good money during the boom. Amazing really.
    I did a bonus for a few years as in banking it's the done thing. But feck it, you work 14 hours days every month end to get it.
    Do you work these hours in your job? I hope not :)
    Outside of banking I'm not sure who else gets a bonus

I'm not targeting people who got bonuses. I'm talking in general about those non-existent people in the private sector who made good money but it seems they didn't. Who knew?
    Anyway, benchmarking was supposed to address your point. You get raises and we will see if any cuts happen. When the good times roll you can lobby for more raises

I'm a Web Developer who has developed very large scale applications both for in-house use and our external websites. We don't have project teams because we are small scale so we do these applications on our own. Benchmarking meant a few extra bob but it was never going to compare me to a project dev in the private sector just whatever office grade I was analogous to.

That was fine. I made my choice and stayed in the public sector when it was quite possible I could earn much more doing contract work in the private sector. Someone is bound to claim the money wasn't that good but it was. As I said I made a choice. Enough of a salary to live reasonably well (second-hand car, affordable housing etc.) and be home by 6 most evenings to have some time to myself. Fair swap to me.

Now we have tough times and I am completely serious when I say I will take another pay cut if necessary but what irritates me is the general tone of bile towards the PS. I lost my pension so should you and so on.

I give far more credence to those who may have criticised the PS during the boom as it was obvious to many then that it was ridiculous how bloated it was just as it was obvious that grabbing every patch of grass to build something on was a bad idea.

I don't like the way the unions are talking because I can see it's a simple case of maths. The cost of the PS has to go down. No two ways about it and I hope some sense will prevail and people will talk it out.

Yes I will take a pay cut again despite the fact that I feel I am well worth the salary I am currently on while many others aren't so it will be a bitter bill either way and it's just salt on the wound when you see the bile being thrown around on the continual threads about the PS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I voted FF, I dont even deserve to get paid at all...:o

Hmm seems odd now but mike mac did have a post in between my two above. Trying to make me look bad eh :)

Mewso I bet the most useless f**kers in your PS office would be the ones to wail about the cut loudest if it came.

Your last piont is what would crush me if I saw employee x who was useless. Keep his job and be retained while everyone who carried him gets their wages cut as well. Instead of just cutting the chaff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I retracted my post, posted on the spur of the moment.

You made several fair points, can't realy disagree with any of it :)

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Your last piont is what would crush me if I saw employee x who was useless. Keep his job and be retained while everyone who carried him gets their wages cut as well. Instead of just cutting the chaff.

Overtime is the real laugh. Bin men on ridiculous sums (100k for some). I kid you not. Even though overtime is now gone they are getting a deal on it (OT being bought out).

mewso wrote: »
    Overtime is the real laugh. Bin men on ridiculous sums (100k for some). I kid you not. Even though overtime is now gone they are getting a deal on it (OT being bought out).

Think you have it right there a country where A public bin man can be paid that figure is doomed to fall. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Bin men on ridiculous sums (100k for some)

I want to see a breakdown of this figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The reality is that, in every passing week, the Government has to borrow 400million to keep the show on the road. Coupled with that, people in the private sector are taking paycuts of anywhere between 10 - 50%, which results in less tax to the state. In addition those very same people are being hit with levies and various other increases in tax in accordance to their personal suitations. Now, this has the result in reducing spending power amoungst those very people and this in turn reduces the amount of tax the Government collects.

Now on the other side, the Private sector is paid out of the taxes that the Private sector generates. The only real cut I can see that public servants have taken is a Pension Levy, which I may add is being paid towards a STATE GUARENTEED PENSION!!!!! I'd love to pay 10% of my salary to the Government for a STATE GUARENTEED PENSION!!!! Are you telling me that this is sustainable considering that the age profile of the nation is increasing year on year?

Some public sector unions (and their members) need to cop the FCUK on. The public sector pays for EVERYTHING. Absolutely EVERYTHING.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

alentejo wrote: »
    I poise a question. Who is willing to take a cut which will effect them personally? Everybody is now coming out with " no cuts which effect me....etc".

What people don't understand that we will are all going to be less well off or poorer no matter what.

Does not mean we have to roll over and accept it like lambs.

No more cuts.The goverment has taken so much off me already and the economic downturn has taken my job. If they leave me alone I will just scrape by. If they take any more... They will have to rehouse me.... Its there choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

I am a PS Worker.

If Gov decide to continue their current policies, I am happy to take a 5% pay cut from January 2010.

If Government stop stoking this public versus private debate and stop focusing media attention on public sector pay solely and focus equally on other elements financial controls

and

The Government come out with serious plans to reduce public sector numbers as whole, but increase numbers in other areas (front line staff in justice, health etc..), proper staff deployment policies, proper initiatives/policies for long-term reductions in resource wastage

and

they address policitical financial corruption seriously

I would be willing to take a 10% pay cut from Jan 2010. That is, in parallell with any other tax etc... changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

It seems you are right and nobody in the private sector was making good money during the boom. Amazing really.

Specify who tho?
    You've seen the figures which prove the public sector earn 25% more relative to positions in the private sector?

You know who was cleaning up in the private sector, it was the auctioneers, bankers etc.
    The vast majority of people in the IT sector were certainlly not cleaning up since DCB in 2001, public or private.

I worked for a major German and a major American company who make profits in the hundreds of millions until 2008. I never broke 25k and I never got an xmas bonus either!
    I'm not targeting people who got bonuses. I'm talking in general about those non-existent people in the private sector who made good money but it seems they didn't. Who knew?
    I refer you to a more specific post of mine:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61269897&postcount=93

That was fine. I made my choice and stayed in the public sector when it was quite possible I could earn much more doing contract work in the private sector. Someone is bound to claim the money wasn't that good but it was. As I said I made a choice. Enough of a salary to live reasonably well (second-hand car, affordable housing etc.) and be home by 6 most evenings to have some time to myself. Fair swap to me.

I wouldn't claim the money for contractors wasn't good.
    It certainly was!
    But how many of those jobs were there?
    Outside of Dublin, there was nothing. I know because I was looking and because my friends were emigrating.
    Inside of Dublin, you're talking about a few hundred jobs at the max and I turned down jobs in Dublin because I utterly refuse to live there.

The point is, there are many people in the private sector who would also have loved to have gone into contracting aswell. You are paid well in contracting for a variety of reasons, of which I'm sure you're aware, thats the trade off for security, pensions etc.

You should be happy you're in the public sector, most of the contractors I know have left Ireland! Speaking for the private sector workers I know, most of them are quite pleased now that they are permanent.

Also, speaking of the market in London, rates for contractors have halved.
    I know a project manager who is currently unemployed.
    He was complaining about having to work for £200 a day when he was making £400 per day in London.

Now we have tough times and I am completely serious when I say I will take another pay cut if necessary but what irritates me is the general tone of bile towards the PS. I lost my pension so should you and so on.

I give far more credence to those who may have criticised the PS during the boom as it was obvious to many then that it was ridiculous how bloated it was just as it was obvious that grabbing every patch of grass to build something on was a bad idea.

No argument there.
    I don't like the way the unions are talking because I can see it's a simple case of maths. The cost of the PS has to go down. No two ways about it and I hope some sense will prevail and people will talk it out.

Again I agree.
    Yes I will take a pay cut again despite the fact that I feel I am well worth the salary I am currently on while many others aren't so it will be a bitter bill either way and it's just salt on the wound when you see the bile being thrown around on the continual threads about the PS.

And yet again I agree.
    In fact I think those in the IT sector are vastly underpaid compared to other less knowledge intensive and less stressful jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I voted FF, I dont even deserve to get paid at all...:o

I actually think you owe me money for voting FF

MG wrote: »
    I actually think you owe me money for voting FF

In my defence I was going to get shot the only choice I had was the bullet.

Nobody on the ballot was any good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

stepbar wrote: »
    I'd love to pay 10% of my salary to the Government for a STATE GUARENTEED PENSION!!!!
    Unless you're self-employed or just not working and not paying PRSI, you're already paying for a state guaranteed pension, the very same one most public sector and private workers get.

As for the guarantee, do bear in mind that the state was putting this money into the National Pension Reserve Fund but recently took a large chunk out of the fund to bail out the banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

stepbar wrote: »
    I'd love to pay 10% of my salary to the Government for a STATE GUARENTEED PENSION!!!!
    Funnily enough our pensions policy suggests something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭optocynic

Unless you're self-employed or just not working and not paying PRSI, you're already paying for a state guaranteed pension, the very same one most public sector and private workers get.

As for the guarantee, do bear in mind that the state was putting this money into the National Pension Reserve Fund but recently took a large chunk out of the fund to bail out the banks.

Still going on about the banks.
    I am a realist, and I consider a live banking system to be of paramount importance to a healthy economy. We need new regulations... but since the unionised, non-productive Public Sector runs that... look what it got us!

The banks are to blame
    The regulators are to blame
    The government are to blame
    We, who bought at the peak, are to blame

Now can we move on from the petulant blame-game and save this country please!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

MaceFace wrote: »
    IMO anyone who earns >50k is well paid.
    This includes me and I would advocate and accept the following:
    - child welfare abolished for well paid.
    - early childcare supplement/free early school year - abolished
    - 10 cents extra on petrol IF is is ringfenced to improve public transport
    - property tax of ~500 a year if stamp duty abolished

Thats about €3200 a year out of my pocket (wow - thats a lot when I look at it that way).

I will be willing to do this if:
    - senior public sector (including politicians) earning >150k have a 25% pay decrease, >100k=15%, >50k=10%, >35k=5%, >20k 3%
    - social welfare cut of 5%
    - minimum wage cut to western Europe average

There is probably a lot more other things I would like to see, but I think that if we can reduce the wages across the board, prices would fall likewise and we would all be better off. Its all about competitiveness!

I have read countless threads like these over the past while on Boards and usually I wouldn't bother replying but this post really caught me.

I presume that the poster is a private sector worker. I am a worker in the Public sector and one of the few who would fall into the the same category as the poster above as earning >50K per year. And yes I would consider myself to be fairly well paid

I have to agree with all the cuts below:
    - child welfare abolished for well paid.
    - early childcare supplement/free early school year - abolished
    - 10 cents extra on petrol IF is is ringfenced to improve public transport
    - property tax of ~500 a year if stamp duty abolished
    [\quote]

In fact I'd probably go one further and abolish child welfare payments altogether.

I agree that loosing €3200 extra a year is fairly substantial! This got me thinking as to what all of the recent levies and taxes have done to my take home pay. So, today being pay day I took my payslip and compared it to the payslip I received dated the 2/10/08 to see what the difference would be.

I was actually surprised to see that my net take home pay has been reduced by exactly 17% since this time last year! This is even more surprising when you take into consideration that I have actually received a pay increment in that time!

I do agree that there needs to be cuts, but I don't agree with the poster above who states that all those public servants earning >50K should automatically take a further 10% of a pay cut. Everyone is saying that EVERYBODY needs to take cuts. Well the message coming through loud and clear above is that the poster is willing for everyone to take cuts but only as long as those in the public sector take a substanial amount more.

Why should I take a 10% further hit on my salary while you don't?

What people in the private sector (and I have worked there) don't realise, is that it is not possible for an individual employee in the public sector to negotiate individual terms and conditions the way it is possible in the private sector.

For example, in the company I worked in prior to working in the public sector I am still in contact with a number of employees. A number of them have told me that they have had to take a 10% pay cut this year despite the fact the company is still making huge profits. However there are one or 2 people in the company who have managed to negotiate 5-10% pay increases! The reason for this is that A) they have the ability to do so because they are not tied into a generic grading system like those of us in the public sector and B) they are seen as valuable staff worth holding onto.

By imposing an arbitrary 10% paycut across the board all staff are treated the same regardless of thier abilites and skills and regardless if they actually work in a department which actually generates a net revenue for the Government.

The same thing is rehashed in all these arguements though about the simple fact of the numbers not adding up! Well yes that's true! So let's take a look at these numbers.

It we treat Ireland as a company like so many like to do, let's have a look at the total expenditure of the company. It is generally accepted that just over a third of total expenditure goes on public sector pay and that the numbers employed in the public service are not hugely out of sync with other developped countries (although probably slightly more than average). A little amount more than a thrid is spent on social welfare payments and then the remainder (a little under a third) is spent on capital projects.

Having talked to a number of accountants and professionals in the business world, they have generally accepted amongst them that a company can spend as low as 10% of total expenditure on employees' wages (in the online retail business) to up as much as 50-60% in the hotel trade. So, the government spending 33-38% of total expenditure on employees wages falls within business norms.

In return for this it probably receives approximately 20-30% of the expenditure back in the form of taxes therefore actually reducing the total expenditure. It also receives the services of its employees who carry out the functions of the government's business which strive to ensure the smooth running of services, which in turn attract investment and developpment of the economy and give a return to the government in the form of taxes and revenue as well as creating employment in the private sector.

The money it spends on capital projects helps to improve the infrastructre of the country and encourage investment and developpment of the country's economy therefore generating a further return for the government.

So far, so good. The government is spending money in areas which see a return for its investment.

The money it spends on social welfare is the largest portion of its expenditure. It does not receive any taxes back which cut the bill and it receives no return in terms of services provided by the recipients. In business terms it is throwing money into an area for which it makes absolutly no returns at all.

So, looking at this in a cold hearted purely business point of view in terms of numbers that so many people on boards like to do, I think it's fairly obvious where any right thinking company exec in the private sector would start making cuts!

Now, I don't believe that a government should operate in a cold hearted business manner. But, if so many people here and in the media (Eddie Hobbs springs to mind) wish to keep comparing the government and public sector to a business and how one would operate in the "real" world then they should step up and say it as it is. Social Welfare needs to be hugely slashed as it is the one place where the business is hemorraging money with absolutly no return. No other business in the private sector would accept those losses or that business model!

Sorry for deviating from the original post. Would I be willing to accept further cuts on the 17% I've already taken? Yes, I would. How much would I be willing to accept? Well really that depends on what they cut. I've already taken a paycut and don't wish to take a further one. I would accept the cutting of allowances such as child benfit, rent allowance, mortage intrest relief, medical relief etc. I would accept a reasonable property tax of up to €1000 a year. These are the sort of cuts which truely affect everyone and as such keeps us all in the same boat!

Does not mean we have to roll over and accept it like lambs.

No more cuts.The goverment has taken so much off me already and the economic downturn has taken my job. If they leave me alone I will just scrape by. If they take any more... They will have to rehouse me.... Its there choice.

I'm sorry you are suffering Joey... but I do have to point out that you seem to be doing well enough to have internet connectivity!

• Advertisement

I am a worker in the Public sector and one of the few who would fall into the the same category as the poster above as earning >50K per year. And yes I would consider myself to be fairly well paid

I agree that loosing €3200 extra a year is fairly substantial! This got me thinking as to what all of the recent levies and taxes have done to my take home pay. So, today being pay day I took my payslip and compared it to the payslip I received dated the 2/10/08 to see what the difference would be.

I was actually surprised to see that my net take home pay has been reduced by exactly 17% since this time last year! This is even more surprising when you take into consideration that I have actually received a pay increment in that time!

You got a pay increment?
    And they wonder why we get angry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

optocynic wrote: »
    You got a pay increment?

you owe me €10

I bet that someone would jump on that and ignore everything else

Riskymove wrote: »
    you owe me €10

I bet that someone would jump on that and ignore everything else

Funny...

But isn't that just like a Public Sector worker... charging me €10 for something, I knew nothing about, never agreed to.... and definitely didn't want any part of!!!

Overheal wrote: »
    I want to see a breakdown of this figure.

I'm not going to pretend this isn't hearsay on my part but people should send in foi's on these things. More people need to be asking the right questions when it comes to the PS. Some of the waste of money is crazy.

I'm not going to pretend this isn't hearsay on my part but people should send in foi's on these things. More people need to be asking the right questions when it comes to the PS. Some of the waste of money is crazy.

write to the FOI unit of the relevant local authority requesting documents on the break down of the salaries paid to the waste disposal guys.

Some of the waste of money is crazy no doubt, but stick to what you know as fact first.

Funny...

But isn't that just like a Public Sector worker... charging me €10 for something, I knew nothing about, never agreed to.... and definitely didn't want any part of!!!

*facepalm*

You got a pay increment?

Yes I did. It's common knowledge and freely available information from the department of Finance website. Of course that's the difference between public and private sector wages. Our wages are very much public knowledge for everyone to see and critise and jump all over yet private wages are very much private for nobody to review.

In the team I worked in before becoming a civil servant everybody did the same job. A lot of the people had the same amount of service in the team and yet none of them received the same amount of pay. In fact between 2 particular employees who had almost identical work stats and tenure in the team, the difference between their wages was almost 8%.

Yet, because this is all highly confidential and secretive information employees in the same team could not compare their wages to their own work colleagues who are actually doing the exact same job but had no problem trying to compare them to a job in the public sector which they felt was comparable to their own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Why should I take a 10% further hit on my salary while you don't?
    Because your employer can not afford to keep paying unsustainable wages.
    Costs are 50% more than revenue and in any business you need to save money.
    Choices:
    - Cut back on salaries
    - Cut back on jobs

We need to keep as many people in employment as possible so I call for cutting salaries - in any sector.
    Would I trust the "Union sector" to cover the work of redundant people - not unless their members got a big pay increase!

Oh, and I think for those on welfare - cut the cash part by 50% but give them vouchers for the other 50% that can be used in supermarkets to buy non-luxury goods.

MaceFace wrote: »
    Because your employer can not afford to keep paying unsustainable wages.
    Costs are 50% more than revenue and in any business you need to save money.
    Choices:
    - Cut back on salaries
    - Cut back on jobs

We need to keep as many people in employment as possible so I call for cutting salaries - in any sector.
    Would I trust the "Union sector" to cover the work of redundant people - not unless their members got a big pay increase!

Oh, and I think for those on welfare - cut the cash part by 50% but give them vouchers for the other 50% that can be used in supermarkets to buy non-luxury goods.

So again we're talking in business terms. Well I've pretty much given you the options of where to cut the biggest losses and it's in Social welfare. Cutting the cash payments by 50% and then giving the other 50% in vouchers is not making any cuts at all. They are still spending the same amount of money!

If people want to keep comparing the operations of the government to a business then they will have to start considering that the largest portion of government spending is on social welfare. This is also the only portion of their expenditure which returns absolutely 0% financial return.

I cannot think of a single other business in the private sector who would consider spending the largest part of their total expenditure on an area which gave 0% gain in return!

MaceFace, lets take a ridiculous example to illustrate a point. Tomorrow morning your CEO walks into work and makes an announcement. (S)He's decided that going forward your company is going to start spending close to 40% of its total annual expenditure sending money to random strangers by post. Six months down the line the company is in dire straits and is requiring huge loans to keep it afloat. In the meantime however you have been working away as normal providing the normal services that the company provides and basically keeping your head down and working dilligently. Next thing the boss says, hey, we're going to start cutting all of your wages as a cost saving measure. We've been reading press reports and people's opinions and we've decided that we're going to start cutting wages by anywhere between 5 to 25%. Oh! But we're still going to carry on spending the same amount in sending out random letters.

This just would not happen in the private sector. The first thing the CEO would be expected to do by his employees is to cut the big hole in finances in the one are where it is getting absolutley no return for its investment! That's how a company in the private sector would deal with it!

Now, I've already said I'd be willing to take cuts. I accept the fact I will have to take a 2nd pay cut in December along with whatever tax increases they bring in. What I don't accept is the bile being poured out from those in the private sector who are really only after one thing: Make sure everyone in the public sector pays and takes cuts irrespective of the consequences for those people behind the numbers

• Advertisement

Yes I did. It's common knowledge and freely available information from the department of Finance website. Of course that's the difference between public and private sector wages. Our wages are very much public knowledge for everyone to see and critise and jump all over yet private wages are very much private for nobody to review.

And, my salary is based on productivity, and results! If I don't perform, I don't get an increase... and more importantly, if the company is in financial trouble... I take a pay cut... or simply have to move...

Are you noticing the real differences here?
    In the team I worked in before becoming a civil servant everybody did the same job. A lot of the people had the same amount of service in the team and yet none of them received the same amount of pay. In fact between 2 particular employees who had almost identical work stats and tenure in the team, the difference between their wages was almost 8%.

Yet, because this is all highly confidential and secretive information employees in the same team could not compare their wages to their own work colleagues who are actually doing the exact same job but had no problem trying to compare them to a job in the public sector which they felt was comparable to their own!

A small price to pay. I like that my skills and productivity provide me with ample reward that I EARN...

Give everyone the same money regardless of effort.. and you get sh!tty results!... Like in the Dept. of Finance... or more importantly.. the regulators office!

Now throw in annual increments regardles of results.. and you have anarchy!!... The fiscal equivalent of an infant in charge of their own pocket-money!

Advertisement