Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course Books Wanted / For Sale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

Hey guys, I need the following 2nd year Irish books if anybody has them-
    • Tóraíocht Dhiarmada agus Ghráinne (N. Ní Shé)
    • Rogha Scéalta (Pádraic Ó Conaire)
    • Úlla (can't remember who this is by)

If you have any of these and are willing to sell, please PM me!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lilykent39

1. 'Wisdom Sits in Places' Keith Basso 1996
    2. 'Global Sociology' 2nd ed. Cohen & Kennedy 2007
    3. 'The Design Culture Reader' Ben Highmore 2009
    4. 'In the Realm of the Diamond Queen' Anna Tsing 1993

'Global Sociology' and 'The Design Culture Reader' have nothing written in them.
    The other two have a few highlighted sections, but still in great condition.
    Post back if you need any of them! Am offering a great price :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 moranda

Books for sale:

Essential Calculus: Early Transcendental Functions [Hardcover]
    Ron Larson , Robert P. Hostetler, Bruce H. Edwards
    Mint condition, barely used.
    €35 ONO.

Chemistry the central science- 11ed, Brown Lemay Bursten Murphy.
    €20 ONO

Biology, 8th ed Campbell Reece
    €20 ONO

Best offer: A sociology of Ireland, 2nd ed, Hilary Tovey and Perry Share

Statistics for business and economics 6th ed, Newbold Carlson Thorne

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Available
    Global Sociology - Cohen & Kennedy 2nd Edition €15

Wanted
    Evidence Nutshells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

For sale:
    Greek and Roman Civilisation:
    Ovid Metamorphoses - 4 euro (penguin classic)
    Sophocles; Antigone; Oedipus the King; Electra (oxford) - 3 euro
    Plato, The Symposium (penguin classic) - 3 euro
    Virgil, The Aeneid (penguin classic) - 4 euro
    Aspects of Greek History 750-323BC: A Source-Based Approach by Terry Buckley - 15 euro
    The World of Athens: An Introduction to Classical Athenian Culture - 10 euro
    Home, The Odyssey (penguin classic) - 4 euro
    Ancient Rome: Using Evidence: Using the Evidence by Pamela Bradley - 10 euro

Media:
    Mass Media and Society 4th Edition by James Curran and Michael Gurevitch - 12 euro
    Power without Responsibility: Press, Broadcasting and the Internet in Britain by James Curran and Jean Seaton - 15 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

petals wrote: »
    For sale:
    Greek and Roman Civilisation:
    Ovid Metamorphoses - 4 euro
    Sophocles; Antigone; Oedipus the King; Electra - 3 euro
    Plato, The Symposium - 3 euro
    Virgil, The Aeneid - 4 euro
    Aspects of Greek History 750-323BC: A Source-Based Approach by Terry Buckley - 15 euro
    The World of Athens: An Introduction to Classical Athenian Culture - 10 euro
    Homer, The Odyssey - 4 euro
    Ancient Rome: Using Evidence: Using the Evidence by Pamela Bradley - 10 euro
    It would help if you could include who translated the ones in bold, since they can often change which translations they use from year to year. Wouldn't want incoming students feeling annoyed because they bought the wrong versions.

mickstupp wrote: »
    It would help if you could include who translated the ones in bold, since they can often change which translations they use from year to year. Wouldn't want incoming students feeling annoyed because they bought the wrong versions.

They are all penguin classics except for the Sophocles etc one which is Oxford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Thanks for that. Still a question though, and if you don't already think I'm an annoying idiot, you probably soon will. Homer's Odyssey, even if it's Penguin, could still be either E V Rieu or Fagles, two very different translations. Likewise Ovid's Metamorphoses in Penguin could be by Golding, Raeburn or Innes. And Virgil's Aeneid in Penguin could be West or Fagles, Knight or maybe even John Dryden.

I'm really sorry for maybe being a dick here, it's just that as you know the exams use extracts from the translations they want each year. If someone gets the Rieu translation of the Odyssey and opens the exam to see Fagles, they might have a tough time figuring out what they're looking at, it'll be completely unfamiliar, not to mention the line numbers are completely different... So selling these particular translations before the required texts for next year have been decided in August/September might mean you get very angry students getting back in touch with you demanding their money back. That's the only reason I asked for the translators.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Still a question though, and if you don't already think I'm an annoying idiot, you probably soon will. Homer's Odyssey, even if it's Penguin, could still be either E V Rieu or Fagles, two very different translations. Likewise Ovid's Metamorphoses in Penguin could be by Golding, Raeburn or Innes. And Virgil's Aeneid in Penguin could be West or Fagles, Knight or maybe even John Dryden.

I'm really sorry for maybe being a dick here, it's just that as you know the exams use extracts from the translations they want each year. If someone gets the Rieu translation of the Odyssey and opens the exam to see Fagles, they might have a tough time figuring out what they're looking at, it'll be completely unfamiliar, not to mention the line numbers are completely different... So selling these particular translations before the required texts for next year have been decided in August/September might mean you get very angry students getting back in touch with you demanding their money back. That's the only reason I asked for the translators.

I have the picture of the books on adverts. If you are interested in buying I'll give you the link

• Registered Users Posts: 9 katieom

3rd Year English - Hollywood Cinema. Richard Maltby. E20 ono . Perfect Condt. Contact for details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 cones

Physics:

Principles Of Physics (Extended edition with modern Physics)- By Halliday, Resnick & Walker €30

Physics- By Ken Dobson, David Grace, David Levett €10

Introduction to Thermal Physics- Daniel V. Schroeder €30

Maths:
    Essential Calculus (Early transcendental functions) €25

Engineering:
    Engineering Science 4th edition- By Bolton €5

Biology:

Human Physiology and Mechanisms of Disease (4th edition)- By Guyton €10

Basic Human Genetics- By Elaine Johanson Mange and Arthur P. Mange €10

Genetics- By George P. Redei €10

The Cell, A Molecular Approach (3rd edition)- By Geoffrey M. Cooper & Robert E. Hausman €10

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Karmaa

1st year Anthropology: Wisdom sits in places – By Keith Basso €8
    The Meaning of Whitemen – By Ira Bashkov €10

2nd year Sociology: Media/Society – David Croteau €35
    Sociology in general:The Urban Wilderness A history of the American City – By Sam Warner Jr. €10
    The Bubbling Cauldron (Race & Ethnicity) and the urban crisis – By Smith & Feagin €10

2nd year Celtic Studies: Old Irish Language. Sengoídelc – By David Stifter €25

1st year History: Who Killed the Franks Family – Denis Cronin €5
    The priest and the protestant woman – P O’Duigneáin €5

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm trying to expand my Gaeilge library, so if anyone could let me know if they have books from the Irish course (any year) I might take them off your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tiff_

Hey I'm looking to buy third year English books, message me if you have any to sell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I've got some 1st/2nd year economics and accounting books.
    €10e

• Registered Users Posts: 20 murphyyy

if anyone's looking for 1st year Arts English or Spanish books, message me! I have many and they're all in really good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone got the Rodney Merrill edition of The IlIAd, also anyone got the 2nd year semester 1 Greek and Roman essay titles from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Have first science books for maths, experimental physics and mathematical physics. Also have the biology book for the first 2 years. I will throw in a pdf of the second year experimental physics book. Message me if you're interested, very reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shaneen

Hey if anybody is taking up beginners Spanish in 1st year, PM me. I have all the books and extra grammar books :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mccabe23

Finance and Economics books wanted, 2nd year

Brealey, Myers and Allen, (2008), Principles of Corporate Finance, 9th Edition

Ian Jacques “Mathematics for Economics and Business” 510.2433 Jac

Curwin and Slater ‘Maths, A Refresher Course’

Anderson, D., D. Sweeney, T. Williams, J. Freeman, E. Shoesmith, 2010, Statistics for Business and Economics, 2nd edition, London: Cengage

Richard Baldwin and Charles Wyplosz, 2012, The Economics of European Integration (4th edition), Maidenhead: McGraw-Hill.
    Stephen Valdez and Philip Molyneux, An Introduction to Global Financial Markets, Sixth Edition, Palgrave-MacMillan Publishers Inc

Benninga, S., 2008, Financial Modeling, MIT Press, 3rd Edition

Can meet in Maynooth or Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

I've a number of 1st, 2nd and 3rd year Economics books if anybody is interested.
    You decide the price (as long as it's reasonable :P )

Sociology in general:The Urban Wilderness A history of the American City – By Sam Warner Jr. €10
    The Bubbling Cauldron (Race & Ethnicity) and the urban crisis – By Smith & Feagin €10

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shakespere smonkey

Karmaa wrote: »

I'll take the old irish book off ya. can you meet in maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gwen

Entering first year MH119 law undergraduate.

Looking for books to buy, message me if you have some to sell

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Just a warning to incoming first years:

I wouldn't go buying books until you have been told the books that you need for each module. Some courses have specific books that you must buy, others have books that are recommended bit you can often get them from the library. Some don't use books at all and just articles and other online sources.

I'd say give it a few weeks to see if you really need the books and/or split the cost of the books between a few of you. Some books are even downloadable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Gwen wrote: »
    Entering first year MH119 law undergraduate.

Looking for books to buy, message me if you have some to sell

Just my personal recommendation for law:

Books are very expensive but can be worth it if you plan to qualify in Blackhall or KI after college. For now I'd just start with Nutshells which are about €25 each bit I wouldn't rely on them solely when studying. The library does have plenty of books though.

I started with that and having decided that the books were work it for me, that I did want to qualify and that I had enough money, I then decided to buy the books. They're also cheaper in Hughes and Hughes in Dublin so you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

For Sale:

1st Year Law:
    Torts in Ireland - Eoin Quill - 60€

PM if interested :)

I'll take the old irish book off ya. can you meet in maynooth?

I can yes, if you want to pm me and we can arrange to meet up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shakespere smonkey

sorry i didnt hear back so I got one from adverts. hope you sell them soon! thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 karengrace93

Hey guys, I have books for 1st Year Spanish, Business and Philosophy, hardly used so in excellent condition! PM me for details :)

Advertisement