Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beers with high ABVs

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

wobzilla wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't try Sam adams triple bock. i bought it because i enjoyed a few of Sam adam's beers but this one looks, smells and tastes exactly like soy sauce.
    :DChocolate soy sauce. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Bought this on Friday....Straffe Hendrik Brugs Tripel Bier 9°

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/268/47909

Its very rare of me not to finish a bottle of beer but this was just too much.
    I am not a big fan of sweet tasting beer but this was too sweet for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Was just in booze to go (classy i know) and noticed that they a beer called steiger?. Anyway it was 4 cans for a fiver and 10%. Has anyone ever tried this. I like a nice strong lager but at that price i don't hold much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Was just in booze to go (classy i know) and noticed that they a beer called steiger?. Anyway it was 4 cans for a fiver and 10%. Has anyone ever tried this. I like a nice strong lager but at that price i don't hold much hope.

I'm guessing that there is a pricing mistake or it's not really 10%
    The duty alone on a 10% beer would probably be more than that price.
    I do remember a cheap lager in a silver can called Steiger from way back - wasn't 10%, although there could be a 'super' version.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm guessing that there is a pricing mistake or it's not really 10%
    The duty alone on a 10% beer would probably be more than that price.
    I do remember a cheap lager in a silver can called Steiger from way back - wasn't 10%, although there could be a 'super' version.

Well i would have to go in and check but it definitely was 10%. the price was handwritten so maybe it was near sell buy date. I did buy a 10% beer in sweden at 1.65 a can though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah I remember Steiger from when I was working in the local as a teenager. Cheap and not that popular. Think Guinness was 1.50 a pint Steiger was around 1.40 I think. Shows you how long ago it was!
    Don't remember it being stronger than regular lager though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I'm not a huge fan of strong beers, due to the alcohol flavour you described. but I had a Bottle of Westvleteren 12 in Amsterdam, which is 10% and there's such a richness of flavour, you can barely taste the alcohol off it at all.
    Amazing beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Blisterman wrote: »
    but I had a Bottle of Westvleteren 12 in Amsterdam, which is 10% and there's such a richness of flavour, you can barely taste the alcohol off it at all.
    Amazing beer.

Cherish those flavours its a very hard beer to buy ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Girls with low Self Esteem

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

oblivious wrote: »
    its a very hard beer to buy ;)
    Ah, no. A few clicks and it's yours. For a bargain price too. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

BeerNut wrote: »
    Ah, no. A few clicks and it's yours. For a bargain price too. :D

I love there tag line

Supporting the independent brewer, wine producer and distiller

that really does not conform with the price on that bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Westmalle Tripel Blond Trappist beer, it's 9.5%, lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Two years on and I have to say I'm changed my mind considerably.

Sitting here enjoying a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale which weighs in at a not too shabby 9.6%. I've tried it before and couldn't get past the alcohol taste but my tastebuds have certainly changed. I think it may have a lot to do with my love of American IPAs.

Funny how the auld tastebuds change over time. :)

Advertisement