Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beers with high ABVs

Options
  • 28-09-2009 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

What's peoples' general opinion of beers with high alcohol content?

Duvel was on sale for €1.99 in Tesco so I picked up a bottle. I had tried it in Belgium a few years ago but didn't really like it but thought I'd give it a go as I've started brewing beers myself so I thought my tastes may have changed. They hadn't! Still don't like it.

I think the high alcohol content, and the resulting high alcohol taste, just ruins it for me. It tastes like someone has put a shot of Vodka into a beer.
    It's also quite sweet, but I was expecting that as it would need the sugar for the high ABV.

I've tried other high ABVs and didn't like them either.
    Is it an acquired taste?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I can't think how it would be an acquired taste since there are so many different tastes of so many different beers. Where do you even start to apply the "high ABV" label?

How about trying a darker beer, like Chimay Blue or Westmall Dubbel? Or a hoppier one like Sierra Nevada Torpedo or Porterhouse Brainblásta?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    I can't think how it would be an acquired taste since there are so many different tastes of so many different beers.
    When I said acquired taste I meant the actual taste of alcohol. I know it's hard to compare like for like as they are different styles but the one thing they all have in common, in my opinion, is the overwhelming taste of alcohol and it's something I just can't seem to stomach.

Where do you even start to apply the "high ABV" label?
    I'd say from 7% and over.

How about trying a darker beer, like Chimay Blue or Westmall Dubbel? Or a hoppier one like Sierra Nevada Torpedo or Porterhouse Brainblásta?
    I actually picked up a bottle of Chimay Red with the Duvel but haven't tried it yet. Although, I've tried Chimay before in Belgium along with a few others, can't remember which ones though.

I also tried the Porterhouse Brainblásta a few weeks ago and didn't like it, but I do like their Porterhouse Red.....a lot!

Maybe high ABVs are not for me.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Maybe high ABVs are not for me.
    So you don't do spirits, liqueurs or wine then either?

Love wine, but I'm not mad gone on Reds that have an overly high ABV, or at least the ones that have a high ABV that you can taste it.

I like whiskey but drink it neat, so I don't have an aversion to the taste of alcohol.

I think it's just when I can taste it in beer I don't like it.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think it's just when I can taste it in beer I don't like it.
    Hmmm. There are definitely non-boozy 7%-and-up beers out there, so I wouldn't go tarring them all with the same brush. If you're interested, I'd recommend giving some strong hoppy ones a go: Torpedo, BrewDog Hardcore IPA, Victory Hop Wallop. But the most important thing is to drink what you enjoy.

• Advertisement

There are definitely non-boozy 7%-and-up beers out there, so I wouldn't go tarring them all with the same brush.
    I'm not, but I can only comment on my experience, albeit quite limited, of high ABV beers.

If you're interested, I'd recommend giving some strong hoppy ones a go: Torpedo, BrewDog Hardcore IPA, Victory Hop Wallop.
    I've definitely give them a go. Cheers.

But the most important thing is to drink what you enjoy.
    Hell yeah! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

I personally love that boozey warmth at the back of the throat you get with Duvel.

Anoeta wrote: »
    I personally love that boozey warmth at the back of the throat you get with Duvel.

Yup, it's a fantastic drink, in small quantities though! Although the abbots ale house have huge 4.5 ltr bottles of it for €200 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Was in a place called Andechs (a monestary) near Munich years ago. They had very strong beer there, but it didn't taste that strong. There were lots of drunk people on the train back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8278312.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Brockagh wrote: »
    Was in a place called Andechs (a monestary) near Munich years ago. They had very strong beer there, but it didn't taste that strong. There were lots of drunk people on the train back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8278312.stm

An now they dont serve the bock at weekends

• Advertisement

oblivious wrote: »
    An now they dont serve the bock at weekends
    Rather than serve it in measures less than a litre?

Eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Rather than serve it in measures less than a litre?

Eejits.

I believe

I don't know if I saw this myself or if someone convinced me it was true, but they had handles on the sinks in the toilets there...

I like some of the Chimays, but I can't help think I'd like them more if they didn't have so much alcohol in them. Maybe I'm drinking them the wrong way, though.

Brockagh wrote: »
    Maybe I'm drinking them the wrong way, though.
    Drink them like you'd drink wine, including the glass, if you don't have a wide-mouthed beer chalice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Tomorow im starting brewing a belgian kit beer of the Diabolo type. Shell be 8%, as long as i have no screw ups. Cant wait to taster her....in 3 and a half months :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I can't think how it would be an acquired taste since there are so many different tastes of so many different beers. Where do you even start to apply the "high ABV" label?

I'm assuming for many people, "high ABV" is north of the mid 4% line. So Brainblasta would be high ABV. I think though didn't I read apost from you before that Guinness had fluctuated in ABV and was at 5 at one point ?

I was in Cardiff a few years ago and they've got Brains which has about 3 different % with the highest I think being 4.7 and only the crazy people drink that cause it's so high an ABV (apparently, according to one local barfly).

Good point. Take something like whiskey where the maximum flavour and taste can be had from either straight up neat or with a drop of water not diluted with a cola so that you can't taste the alchohol.

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    didn't I read apost from you before that Guinness had fluctuated in ABV and was at 5 at one point ?
    1954 was the last time was over 5. It's been above 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Mexico66

Worth trying on draught is the Augustine Beer ABV 6.5%. it's available in the Dice Bar and Sin è Bar in Dublin. Also at around €4 for a 33cl glass of draught beer, it's serious bang for your euros! :)

Just had a Tennents Super @ 9% tonight. I had one last week and kinda thought it was a bit alright. Changed my mind this week.

• Advertisement

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Changed my mind this week.
    :D

Like all the best drinks, it has a song about it.

I didn't even finish the can. I think I kinda liked it last week because it was sometihng new and fancy and you can't get them here (I got them in Newry). Nah, really not nice. I don't even think it was the ABV that put me off.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Is there any "super" lagers over here or is it just a UK thing? I've never seen any such cans in my local tescos anyways!

Nick

There are a fair few here: Warka, for instance, and Bavaria 8.6. In general, however, Irish tramps prefer cider.

I don't know actually.

As I said before, in Wales they've got three different strength Brains and then there's that Tennents Super stuff. I don't think we do the whole "I'll have a pint of 4.9%". I think most beers here hover around the 4.5% mark.

There's Guinness' Foreign Extra Stout that's about 7.5 and O'Hara's have one at about 6%. I don't think there's many "foreign" or non-Irish beers sold here with an advertised high ABV. At least not like some of the UK ones.

Edit: didn't know there was a 6% Bav you could get here. The lads in the Pav would love that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

In general, however, Irish tramps prefer cider.

Or Buckfast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The whole Chimay range smells and tastes like dirty socks! Really don't like it at all. Duvel is not bad but after a couple i find myself too merry. I'm happy to stick to the 6% Leffe or Hoegaarden, much tastier blonde beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

chimay red is the nicest of the three in my opinion. i'm not mad on the white one, it always leaves me dying with the thirst. If you can find a bottle of Thomas hardy ale, I'd recomend it. It does a really good job of concealing the alcohol considering it's over 11%. Whatever you do don't try Sam adams triple bock. i bought it because i enjoyed a few of Sam adam's beers but this one looks, smells and tastes exactly like soy sauce. And it's about €11 for a 300ml bottle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I really like the chimay red and even more so the blue, it's all down to personal taste of course and they shouldn't be too cold when drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I've had a few bottles of this: (not together ;))

398eisbock.jpg

12%, Take it nice and slow and it's not that noticeably alcoholic.
    You'll likely notice in yourself by the end of the glass though..

Advertisement