Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

60Kph on the M50 - Anyone?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

redman wrote: »
    Yes I do mean 60 in the 60 zones. I have been suprised at some passing me at 120 in the 60 zones only for them to slow to 100 in the full stretch and stick to the outside lane....:rolleyes:

Driving to satnav maps - the finished bit is down as 100km/h on current Navteq maps but the roadworks section (bar the SEM) is down as 120km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Is there an actual completion date for the M50 or is it always going to look like a go-kart track?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is there an actual completion date for the M50 or is it always going to look like a go-kart track?

According to M50.ie it's December 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Wook wrote: »
    on the fast lane
    Ohh man, I cant wait until we get those fast lanes in Ireland; they sound sweet!
    I really dont know why they keep building the slow lanes over here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

redman wrote: »
    has anyone on here be actually done for more than 60 on the M50 sections?

It seems given the average is 100, if the gardai did enforce there would be a serious penalty give the % above the legal limit i.e. officially you would imagine a ban for a period or endorsement...

so are the gardai just turning a blind eye to the "stupid" limits until a worker got killed? or until better system in place to protect workers....?

I didnt think they did that in Ireland. I thought it was just a fixed 2 points and a fine here. I know in the UK there are bands to speeding and if its more the 50% an instant ban. But not here and judging by the what were you caught doing thread I dont think it is.

I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I gather there use to be an unofficial rule of auto endorsement or ban (depended on judge) if you were 30mph over the limit e.g. 90mph in a 60mph zone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its very easy to say that you are grand doing 100 or 120 in the 60 zone. But in the event of an accident or hazard on the road, the potential harm it would cause with a high speed collision on the motorway could be fatal. We are a nation of tailgaters which doesnt help either. The lanes for much of the roadworks are narrower and many of the off/on slip lanes are poorly marked and sharp in places.

Im not trying to jump on a high horse here. But when driving at those speeds, you need be conscious of the harm you could cause should you be involved in a colission. Remember you may not be the one who causes it in the first place, but your speed may be a large contributing factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I don't use the M50 much and if I do it's usually in evenings or weekends, but as much as possible, I try to stick to the speed limit. I think the most I've done is 70kph. Other drivers be damned, I'm trying to stick to the speed limit, use the overtaking lane if you're not happy with it. (Although, in fairness, I've only ever had one driver vent their frustration.)

That said, I think the speed limits could be increased a bit when works are finished for the day. 60kph when the workers are present and maybe 80kph when they're not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Cheeble

Del2005 wrote: »
    The Gardai are exempt from the rules of the road and obeying traffic laws when on duty.

Yes, but only "...where such use does not endanger the safety of road users."

Does doing 50% over the speed limit when not responding to an emergency qualify?

Cheeble-eers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

What I just don't understand is that Blanch - M1 has look EXACTLY the same for about six months. From what I can tell, all that's needed is a layer of blacktop and replacement streetlights where all the old ones were knocked/removed/stopped working. There's no excuse for deliberately keeping it in disrepair any longer than nessecary and it's going to cause accidents.

The 60kmh limit is a joke and I really do think it's only there to encourage people to slow down. Never heard of anyone being done over it. I'll do 90-100 myself, or keep up with the flow. Same story with the M1 - the 65km and then 80km limits are impossible to keep to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

sdonn wrote: »
    The 60kmh limit is a joke .

Wholly agree
    Never heard of anyone being done over it. I'll do 90-100 myself, or keep up with the flow. Same story with the M1 - the 65km and then 80km limits are impossible to keep to.

They're not - you just need to discipline your right foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cheeble wrote: »
    Yes, but only "...where such use does not endanger the safety of road users."

Does doing 50% over the speed limit when not responding to an emergency qualify?

Cheeble-eers

This has been gone over loads of times on several threads both here and the Emergency Services forum. The Gardai are allowed to break the limit when on duty. They may be responding to an emergency call but not using their blues and twos or they may be in a hurry for tea, we'll never know so there is no point in going over it.

As I said I would hope that the Gardai when not responding to an emergency call would drive correctly but we never know if they are or aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

I always keep to the 60kph on my high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭Tefral

Gardai cannot enter the construction site area of the roadworks unless they have a safepass

Also legally the areas of construction are handed over to the contractor while he is working there, as in he is the legal guardian of that section of road until he hands it back as per the contracts. I dont know any contractor that would allow a gatso van to be parked up all day on their site and as i said a garda must have a safe pass to enter into a live construction area, they would need to wear a hard hat, visy vest and steel toe capped boots and depending on the contractor ie laing o rourke for example they would need gloves and googles at all times on site.

Dont expect to see any guards hiding behind cones anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

cronin_j wrote: »
    Gardai cannot enter the construction site area of the roadworks unless they have a safepass

I've seen a few signs at the start of the construction lanes saying 'NOT SUITABLE FOR EMERGENCY VEHICLES'.
    Last time I saw a Garda car trying it as a shortcut he ended up having to reverse a long way due to the road being dug up.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Same story with the M1 - the 65km and then 80km limits are impossible to keep to.
    Not at all, if you're an advanced driver, it's just a matter of discipline. It comes with practice. You learn to do the right thing. Just let the law-breaking trash pass on the outside.

I use the M1 every week and can see there are reasons for the limit. Right now, South-bound near the N32/M50 interchange, there's temporary (quite hard to see) lane markings, then a fairly hard change in surface followed by half-scratched surface that pulls the steering over.

Advertisement