Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

60Kph on the M50 - Anyone?

Options
  • 26-09-2009 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hadn't been on the M50 in a while and couldn't find anyone sticking to 60Kph, is ANYONE doing the legal limit on it?

Surprise the gardai aren't making hay and shooting fish in a barrel for some nice moolah?

Any reason why not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nobody does the limit. There's also not anywhere the Guards can either park a camera van or pull people over on the roadworks section realistically - hence nobody getting done for it.

The UK handles this by averaging speed cameras through roadworks. We don't use these here, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

You are endangering yourself by attempting to do 60kph on the M50 at any time. Everyone does 100kph where possible and the road runs nicely when everyone complies. All it takes is one slow moving car (in the left most lane) and trucks have to squeeze out with the resulting chaos as every muppet tries to block them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Damien360 wrote: »
    You are endangering yourself by attempting to do 60kph on the M50 at any time. Everyone does 100kph where possible and the road runs nicely when everyone complies. All it takes is one slow moving car (in the left most lane) and trucks have to squeeze out with the resulting chaos as every muppet tries to block them.

That'll be me, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

It sure is mad, so whats the right speed 80, 100, 120...?
    commonsense varies from person to person...
    100 seems to be the average..

yet surely the signs should dictate the right speed and everyone just loses their respect for signs...
    south the opp way past leopardstown junction, with a 60 just before the cross over bridge which then suddenly jumps to 120..... just as the traffic merges onto M50 what happened to getting people phased up

and once again they had the gatso nabbin those passing UCD on Fri ....

whats worseimho is where the 100kpher's stay to outside all the way along where its the new clean section with no r'works and the inner two lanes are free or going the same speed,causing lots of undertaking and all the dangerss that come with that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

i always drive over 100 (traffic permitting obviously) but if i ever go under 100 i feel like an old woman holding up the queues,I did actually once see a garda car on the southbound section near sandyford one night though with their hairdryers out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

triple-M wrote: »
    I did actually once see a garda car on the southbound section near sandyford one night though with their hairdryers out

the gay gaurds:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

I kept it to 60 kph yesterday on the M50
    Missed my exit and was reversing back to it!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

bookerboy wrote: »
    I kept it to 60 kph yesterday on the M50
    Missed my exit and was reversing back to it!!!!!!!!!

You come onto a motors forum and openly admit that you reverse on motorways? Seems like bad decisions are the norm huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nipplenuts wrote: »
    That'll be me, then.
    Me too - I stick on the cruise control.

Surely those who are endangering other road users are the drivers who don't obey the posted legal limit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

and trucks have to squeeze out with the resulting chaos as every muppet tries to block them.

Trucks are not allowed in the overtaking lane on a Motorway so damn right they should stay where they are.

I drove the M50 quite a lot this week and didn't bother even checking my speed. I just cruised along at the same speed as all the other traffic.

Berty wrote: »
    Trucks are not allowed in the overtaking lane on a Motorway so damn right they should stay where they are
    That's not correct Berty. The restriction only applies where the limit is 100 or 120kph. At a limit of 80 or 60kph, they may use any lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

I thought there was a legal obligation to keep up with the speed of traffic? Regardless of what the speed limit is, if everyone's doing 100, and you're moseying along at 60... you're still causing a hazard.

It's the law of the mob, or whatever the hell the Romans called it.

If one charioteer was driving slowly in the outside lane and holding up the Appian way, they were thrown to the colloseum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Dartz wrote: »
    I thought there was a legal obligation to keep up with the speed of traffic? Regardless of what the speed limit is, if everyone's doing 100, and you're moseying along at 60... you're still causing a hazard.
    There is no legal obligation to break the law EVER. Those speed limits are there for a reason i.e. roadworks. They suck but they ARE there for a reason. Surely the Gardai can park behind the bollards and operate a speed camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

MYOB wrote: »
    Nobody does the limit. There's also not anywhere the Guards can either park a camera van or pull people over on the roadworks section realistically - hence nobody getting done for it.

The UK handles this by averaging speed cameras through roadworks. We don't use these here, thankfully.

There's a whole extra lane to the left where the road works are where they can park the Gatso vans. They have parked there a few times and made nice money as everyone speeds and it looks like a works van.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

nipplenuts wrote: »
    That'll be me, then.
    Me too - I stick on the cruise control.

Surely those who are endangering other road users are the drivers who don't obey the posted legal limit?

Me three. Much to the annoyance of everyone around me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mikkael

Sadly, I do the limit on it. I'm constantly tempted not to, especially when I see the gardai and a taxi driving neck and neck at 100 k.p.h. Add in Lorries, coaches and about 90% of other drivers. It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The 60kph is there to protect those working on the m50. If you aren't bothering to watch your speed and just match those cars around you then you doing almost twice the limit just feet from guys working on the road. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I have to throw this in here. It seems like lots of people are getting off on their holier than thou attitudes. So this is probably representative of 90% of us normal boards.ie drivers.

I do 120kph on the M50 consistently. But south of the toll bridge, I wouldn't do 120kph. I'd average about 100kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Just floor it and get home as soon as possible, thats the way I feel about it.

Sure you've **** all chance of being done for speeding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mikkael

I have to throw this in here. It seems like lots of people are getting off on their holier than thou attitudes. So this is probably representative of 90% of us normal boards.ie drivers.

I do 120kph on the M50 consistently. But south of the toll bridge, I wouldn't do 120kph. I'd average about 100kph.

Regarding myself, I stick to the limits ... except 'perhaps' the 15 k.p.h. ones. I actually tried it at 4 a.m. one morning. Those limits are daft, and probably have more in common with cars from the 1940's than any relevance to today / modern cars.

On the flipside, it bloody well does my head in when someone insists on doing 110 k.p.h. on the overtaking lane of a Motorway, and refuses to budge. For some strange reason, every time I travel the M / N7 there are a multitude of clots who won't go above 100, then when it comes to the 100 limit they do 120 :rolleyes:

Damien360 wrote:
    Everyone does 100kph where possible and the road runs nicely when everyone complies
    It's ironic that you use the word "complies" to describe the behaviour of drivers who are doing 66% over the legal limit.
    Dartz wrote: »
    I thought there was a legal obligation to keep up with the speed of traffic? Regardless of what the speed limit is, if everyone's doing 100, and you're moseying along at 60... you're still causing a hazard
    There is nothing in the Statute Book requiring a motorist to drive above a particular speed. How on earth could it be enforced? Different categories of vehicles have different legal maximum speed limits regardless of the posted limit.

For example, a double deck bus or a bus with standing passengers is legally limited to 65kph. Therefore a double deck bus on the M1 going to Dundalk cannot legally exceed 65kph in a 120kph zone - i.e. 55kph below the posted maximum limit.

has anyone on here be actually done for more than 60 on the M50 sections?

It seems given the average is 100, if the gardai did enforce there would be a serious penalty give the % above the legal limit i.e. officially you would imagine a ban for a period or endorsement...

so are the gardai just turning a blind eye to the "stupid" limits until a worker got killed? or until better system in place to protect workers....?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Even if you try to stay near the 60 it is bloody difficult - I normally end up around 80 with everyone else (except a hardy few) flying past me.

When it is safe to do so I will stick to the 60 - to be honest I am not surprised by the attitude of the froum members to the speed limits - it is frightening how people drive in this country - so many have no regard for other drivers, cyclists and pedestrians - it is indicative of the prevailing mood of selfishness in the western world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I drive the M50 every day and have seen many Garda cars that don't do 60khp. You'd be run of the M50 if you were driving at 60 mph.

I do 100kmh to 120kmh depending on road works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Op I don't remember you stating if it was in the 60km/h zones but for the sake of this I will assume you mean than and not the whole m50..

I wish to thank those who follow the speed limit to the button and have slated those who don't you're a true inspiration :rolleyes:

Anyhow. I try go 60 but that was when the gatso was aound the tallaght bypass. Other than that 80-130km/h as I saw fit. Granted the higher speed was on better sections where limits were 100. I mainly travelled during quiet times (night) so meh.

Again, I tried but it's too frustrating watching everyone pass you by.

congo_90 wrote: »
    Op I don't remember you stating if it was in the 60km/h zones but for the sake of this I will assume you mean than and not the whole m50..

Yes I do mean 60 in the 60 zones. I have been suprised at some passing me at 120 in the 60 zones only for them to slow to 100 in the full stretch and stick to the outside lane....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Cheeble

I've been passed a few times by garda doing at least 90 in the 60 sections. If it doesn't apply to them, why should the rest of us bother?

Cheeble-eers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

I dont really care what speed you guys do in your cars, as long as you get the hell out of my way on the fast lane when im behind you for 5 minutes or more clearly indicating that i want to go past you and refuse to overtake you on the left side.

Thank you and regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cheeble wrote: »
    I've been passed a few times by garda doing at least 90 in the 60 sections. If it doesn't apply to them, why should the rest of us bother?

Cheeble-eers

The Gardai are exempt from the rules of the road and obeying traffic laws when on duty. But they should set a good example when driving around.

Advertisement